Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Oct 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4129937)   #2776
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's what makes it perplexing, Gérard

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Oct 2022, 18:55 (Ref:4129940)   #2777
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
WELL DONE!
You are the only one to pick up on this mistake...
Told you it was perplexing....

This winter's work will be quite light.
A small list of diy jobs to do and then the car is off to McClurg Motorsport for a full suspension geometry check and reset where required, Sean sure knows his stuff.
It has been a great season and here I am 12 months on from when I stripped the engine and all that 'game' started.

It has been confirmed I have won the Class in the Midland Championship in 2022, and the 5th time my name is stamped on the silverware, so very chuffed.

I wonder what 2023 will deliver.
I am sure the TVR/ Mike Luck will be coming out to get me, and possibly a keen young driver with a fabulous Norma sports racer prepped by Tom New who is wizard, he engineers the winner of the British Hillclimb Championship no less.

This year I really wanted this award, to justify the £10K ticket of the engine etc, but 5 times feels so good.

Not sure how many more years I will run, I'm 70 now and definitely creaking everywhere, dealing with trailers is a pain in the ar+e.

However, the wife is keen to keep going!

Very soon this thread will hit 1,000,000 hits for goodness sakes, I can't let you all down!
Old 12 Oct 2022, 10:55 (Ref:4130012)   #2778
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
That's what makes it perplexing, Gérard

Graham you're right about the Norma, those are really good cars.The ones we had here were mainly mated to a Honda two liter engine, a lot of power (around 300) but may be not as user friendly as your Porsche unit.

As to your trailer if no one gives hand you'll find electric motors to help and even a remote command. https://www.caravancampingsales.com....coming-123096/
No excuse not to go now!
Old 12 Oct 2022, 13:37 (Ref:4130027)   #2779
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Norma is a very modern design over the Lola, daresay the driver is too!

The trailer already has a mover and winch on it in the vein of 'work smarter than harder'.
I doubt we could have the hilclimb 'thing' more worked out than we have already.
I'm still suffering from joint pains and a very difficult right foot problem that makes me hobble. Top of the winter 'To Do' list is to fix these probs if I can over the next 6 months.

Just back from a 2 week driving tour of north/mid France, feel better already!

Nice car, nice hotels always work for us.

This would be our next hillclimb car when/if the Lola has to go.

Old 12 Oct 2022, 22:34 (Ref:4130074)   #2780
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Bah humbug! I thought much like you on reaching 70 yet here I am 3 years on, having just completed my second Spa 6 Hours and looking forward to the season closer which is my 7th Race of Remembrance. Anglesey host us for 12 hours split over Saturday and Sunday - when it's not dark it will be gloomy and when it's not raining sideways off the Irish Sea it soon will be. And always cold. But most of us old-boy racers believe if you stop you simply fade away and die. I'm not volunteering to test that theory!
Graham, if the bones creak try a week - two is better - of decent heat in the winter; somewhere like Sharm or Hurghada or even southern Spain where you can just loll about in the sun interspersed with a swim or a massage. Works for me, it was 29 degrees in Almeria today and we are heading there in the morning.
Old 17 Oct 2022, 16:08 (Ref:4130617)   #2781
911thillclimber
Veteran

Yes David, you are right, Just Get On With It comes to mind.

With that thought, the tinkering with the Lola has started.
The list is tiny compared to 12 months ago!

The hub at the rear is the big issues, so started there and had a lot of luck over the last few days. The hub back face is now machined flat and true, new wheel drive pegs machined and installed, al all the brakes etc all line up!
That was a surprise!

I'll let the few pics do the talking:

Old 9 Nov 2022, 19:02 (Ref:4133128)   #2782
911thillclimber
Veteran

Took the Lola down to Sean at McClurg motorsport for a check over since the last demon set-up 10 years or so ago.

We dropped it off and went to the Garden Centre, and returned a few hours later. It was 'OUT', i suspect my rumble strip rattles were not kind let along a million strap downs to the trailer and a few adventures off roading along the way...

As ever, all dialed in cock-on and some homework to do.
Sean always gives me homework to do!

I now feel very confident to have a great chassis again all fresh and accurate!

Oh, and I hate the M1/M42/M6 and any road in the UK after 6 hours fighting traffic and close-quarters with lorries and vans and hire vans.

Still all done, so after my homework a few small things to do and an oil change and we are ready for 2023!

Oh, I love this car.
Old 10 Nov 2022, 09:24 (Ref:4133160)   #2783
911thillclimber
Veteran

how to screenshot on windows
Old 10 Nov 2022, 11:55 (Ref:4133172)   #2784
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Hopefully you will have a less stressful closed season this year.
(But at least your results made all of the hard work worth-while)
Old 10 Nov 2022, 15:32 (Ref:4133202)   #2785
911thillclimber
Veteran

This winter will be VERY stree-free in comparison to 12 months ago!

With the Lola now under a cloth cover for 3 months or so, my old classic 911 also in a similar position, I have decided to fully restore a 1949 Humber gents touring bicycle with 2 gears missing from it's Sturmy Archer gear hub, plus everything is rusty...

Got to have a challenge!
Old 10 Nov 2022, 19:23 (Ref:4133219)   #2786
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
It was 'OUT', i suspect my rumble strip rattles were not kind let along a million strap downs to the trailer and a few adventures off roading along the way...
How true this is, if the use of strong straps is a necessity sometimes we dont care as we shouldabout how to place them. On a touring car (tin top for you may be?) it can bend the steering rack!

Fix a damaged gear hub will keep your brain busy more than expected, what a headache it can be! Bonne chance avec cette bicyclette, Graham!
Old 15 Dec 2022, 12:01 (Ref:4137244)   #2787
911thillclimber
Veteran

Just around a week to go before Xmas, we have just finished putting up the decorations, so I think it is time to send you all a Card from Team Lola!

It has been a great year with the car as regular readers well know, and I thank all of you for your support and interest as ever.
I have the Championship Trophy for the 5th time in 6 years, a reliable season thanks to the DIY engine, fresh tyres and as ever the McClurg Motorsport chassis, should be even better now Sean has moved his gauges and spanners over it.

My closest rival this year, Mike Luck is running a new car for next year, far far more hillclimb focused in specification, so 2023 may not go so well for me!

Anyway, may I wish you all a very happy Xmas and a great New Year!

Old 16 Dec 2022, 01:39 (Ref:4137279)   #2788
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
And the same to you and yours... please keep us entertained during 2023.
Old 15 Jan 2023, 09:42 (Ref:4140214)   #2789
911thillclimber
Veteran

Still a LONG time to go before the season kicks off, Prescott 22/23 April no less.
The Lola is under a large dust sheet, just needs an oil change and a really good clean and we are off.

Biggest fright is that AVON are stopping competition tyre production end of 2023, no more hillclimb tyres from them, and Pirrelli are going the same way it seems.

At this rate we will have to modify these cars to road tyres (!) or stop using the cars and all join the road going classes.

There has never been a greater threat to top hillclimbing possibly across the whole of Europe.

Goodness knows where this will leave the historic racing on the circuits too.

Gulp...
Old 15 Jan 2023, 17:05 (Ref:4140228)   #2790
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Could you (Kevan) alter the setup for radials and use Michelins?
Old 15 Jan 2023, 23:30 (Ref:4140260)   #2791
911thillclimber
Veteran

Sean at McClug Motorsport felt the small changes to camber would set the car for radials. I don't push this car for obvious reasons, so I'm not close to the edge.
Biggest issue will be getting tyres to suit the 13" rims and the sizes of width and diameter.
Unless someone steps in there will be some difficult times ahead for all, the slow guys and very much the quick ones.
Old 16 Jan 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4140284)   #2792
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's hope you find the right setup so you can feel more comfortable.
Old 16 Jan 2023, 17:14 (Ref:4140313)   #2793
911thillclimber
Veteran

My tyres were fresh 12 months ago, and I usually get 3 years from them, so this tyre situation will be fixed or we are all up a gum tree by then.

One get-out would be 17" rims and stick road tyres, but talk about killing the 'classic' nature of the car, but better than nothing.
Old 17 Jan 2023, 23:40 (Ref:4140469)   #2794
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's good your tyres usually have the durability of Duracell bunny, so there is something wrong if your tyres are already struggling. Yes something needs to be done, but at least you have some ideas. It's whether you can compromise on them
Old 6 Mar 2023, 09:11 (Ref:4145982)   #2795
911thillclimber
Veteran

What a very long time it has been since the finish of last season.

The Lola is still buried under a cover and some light bits n pieces but things are stirring.
We have entered the Midland Championship for 2023, I think this is my 30th year of the excellent series.
30 years is a long time doing the same stuff, and i sense Mrs Hillclimber is starting to tire of it all, hopefully winter blues.

We have entered the first 2 events too, Prescott and Shelsley Walsh, so fingers crossed to getting accepted, won't know for several weeks yet.

The plan is to find the Lola and get organised.
I have restored a 1949 Humber push bike over winter, surprisingly tricky to do and almost done, so...

Simple oil change
Start the car to check all is well and 12 plugs are running.
Mega clean of the car everywhere

Clean my overalls and helmet etc and wait!

That was hard work.

The tyres will be good for this season and probably next. I really hope by then the AVON tyre situation will be resolved, but there is no good news about that anywhere.

This could be become the turning point to my hillclimbing caper, no good tyres will probably be the end of it all.

Mike Luck will have his new car ready by now and looking for my scalp and I think there is a Norma about to surface that will take both our scalps!!

Old 6 Mar 2023, 11:51 (Ref:4146022)   #2796
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Good to hear from you, Graham!

I have restored a 1949 Humber push bike over winter, surprisingly tricky to do… Tell me about the gearbox into the rear hub!
Old 6 Mar 2023, 14:44 (Ref:4146066)   #2797
911thillclimber
Veteran

Ha! Yes, always a tease on these projects. Others who do them never have problems, just me it seems.
Not convinced I have it right even now, but I am the World's Leading Expert on rapid Sturmey Archer 4 speed epicyclic gear hub strip-down.

I've just bout a 1938 Royal Enfield bicycle to do in the summer....
Old 6 Mar 2023, 15:07 (Ref:4146068)   #2798
S griffin
Veteran

Hope you find out what you need to do. Your luck is due to change. Although it will be tricky

Lucky you buying a vintage bicycle
Old 6 Mar 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4146122)   #2799
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
I've just bout a 1938 Royal Enfield bicycle to do in the summer....
Next will be a lawnmower! Did you ever meet Carol Spag's son? He had a nice collection of american bicycles, really a nice person to talk with. Those were the days when we were exhibitors at Stoneleigh.
Old 9 Mar 2023, 10:10 (Ref:4146423)   #2800
911thillclimber
Veteran

Lawn mower? Nah...mines a Honda so will never go wrong.
This vintage bike thing is new to me, but I've always had a bicycle interest and did a flirtation with Cyclocross at school and much simple road cycling.

They are simple but quite hard to do.
This Royal Enfield (they made the motorcycles too) i want to keep as original as possible, some of the paint and pin striping is very delicate, but getting the rust smooth and then 'sealing' it all will be the major challenge.

After some help from the RE owners club i have been assured the bike is 1938 with the optional drum brakes fitted.
You may ask why a women's bike? There are more around than you think, but they are generally in far far better original condition than the equivalent Gent's bikes are.

Sitting here at home as we are about 1/2 way though a sever cold/covid/whatever spell, but expecting soon to find the Lola and get it up and running.

Summer project!