Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Oct 2022, 09:26 (Ref:4130867)   #476
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am surprised no one is trying to bring the Clio Cup back. The Mk5 cars are cheap compared to the JCW minis
Old 20 Oct 2022, 10:38 (Ref:4130869)   #477
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
That’s not even close to Clio Cup. That’s a fairly liberal club series.
Ok, a Renault Clio series then, totally different.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 11:15 (Ref:4130870)   #478
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What's this new support series that Alan Gow has touted for 2024?
Old 20 Oct 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4130871)   #479
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTC Racing look at a new build:

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...sion/10386842/

Though I suppose you could write a similar thing for all teams, certainly nothing set in stone.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 11:44 (Ref:4130873)   #480
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
What's this new support series that Alan Gow has touted for 2024?
Gow has said that he want's to see a new junior series in 2024 to replace the Ginettas, however that's not something that TOCA/Gow will be starting. It's a case of someone starting a suitable series, then going to TOCA to ask for a slot on the timetable. Gow : "If someone comes to me with a new junior package for 2024, the right one will get a slot."
Old 20 Oct 2022, 11:50 (Ref:4130875)   #481
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Gow has said that he want's to see a new junior series in 2024 to replace the Ginettas, however that's not something that TOCA/Gow will be starting. It's a case of someone starting a suitable series, then going to TOCA to ask for a slot on the timetable. Gow : "If someone comes to me with a new junior package for 2024, the right one will get a slot."
Ah ok, I misunderstood what was being touted. I thought Gow was somehow starting a "BTC" juniors or something.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 12:45 (Ref:4130880)   #482
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I personally think that the rules should allow 2 door coupés like they did with the BTC rules of 2001 - 2007.
So there is a way in which some could be permitted - but it would be a small range to select from (I think).

'A 2 or 3 door series production touring car complies with this definition if the silhouette is identical to the 4 or 5 door version'

I am only aware of one car that fits these criteria - the BMW G22 (4-Series)
Old 20 Oct 2022, 13:49 (Ref:4130885)   #483
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's not how I read it - https://www.touringcartimes.com/2022...-btcc-package/

Gow - The process has already begun and whether this championship comes entirely from a third-party manufacturer or organisation, or indeed whether TOCA plays a role in the introduction of a new series, is yet to be determined. Although the end result is quite simple; I want to have the best junior series that this country can produce, in order to help develop and generate our finest and most complete drivers for the future.
Old 20 Oct 2022, 14:51 (Ref:4130892)   #484
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if BTC have felt they have done all they can with the Honda and felt they need to find a more competitive package
Old 20 Oct 2022, 21:35 (Ref:4130908)   #485
flatapex
Rookie

flatapex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTC probably believe if you want a great car, you have to build it yourself, especially if you want a driver’s title.

History is inclined to agree
Old 21 Oct 2022, 08:46 (Ref:4130951)   #486
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Eurotech are probably the only ones to win the title with a customer car.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4130955)   #487
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder if BTC have felt they have done all they can with the Honda and felt they need to find a more competitive package
Yes - I think that is definitely the case. It was discussed a few posts back about how teams who take a customer car will struggle if the builder of the car is still in the championship. That is part of the reason why Laser Tools are looking to a potential new build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Eurotech are probably the only ones to win the title with a customer car.
In terms of the drivers' title, yes. And in terms of looking at results with a customer car, anything prior to NGTC regulations is a different context I feel.

Since the adoption of full NGTC across the whole grid, the following customer cars have picked up titles:

YearTitleWinner
2013Drivers' ChampionJordan
2013Independent Drivers'Jordan
2013Independent TeamsPirtek Racing
2013Jack SearsWood
2014Jack SearsNewsham
2017Independent Drivers'Ingram
2017Independent TeamsSpeedworks
2018Independent Drivers'Ingram
2018Independent TeamsSpeedworks
2019Independent Drivers'Butcher
2019Independent TeamsCobra Sport AmD
2019Jack SearsButcher
2020Jack SearsCrees
2022Independent Drivers'Cook
2022Independent TeamsRich Energy BTC Racing

So what do I think this tells us? I think that as a stepping stone, picking up a customer car makes sense until you have established experience in the BTCC. But if you want to make a bid for the main titles, then you need to have your own in-house developed car.

BTC are now at this point. They tried to run something different to Team Dynamics by fitting the TOCA engine in. It seems clear that they want their own engine, and the freedom to develop a car in their own manner. And so, they need a new model and probably the support of someone like Swindon to develop the engine.
Old 21 Oct 2022, 09:53 (Ref:4130957)   #488
antnee
Veteran

Could BTC go to the likes of Swindon to develop a Honda engine? Therefore getting their 'own' engine?
Old 21 Oct 2022, 10:20 (Ref:4130960)   #489
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Could BTC go to the likes of Swindon to develop a Honda engine? Therefore getting their 'own' engine?
The only blocker might be if Honda has some form of stipulation that their engine will only run with NB support.

It is the same route that the Levorg went in 2018 when they moved from Mountune to Swindon.

Although I think the want to go the whole way and develop a car and engine together. They've seen what Excelr8 has achieved and are looking to replicate.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 07:35 (Ref:4131469)   #490
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
In terms of support races in 2023, here is how the calendar is looking.

Silverstone National September 23/24
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge
https://www.btcc.net/2022/10/26/cate...t-silverstone/
Caterham Seven Championship replaces F4 at Silverstone
EDIT: F4 round moves to June 23/25 on Silverstone GP, supporting Britcar
Old 26 Oct 2022, 08:35 (Ref:4131478)   #491
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
https://www.btcc.net/2022/10/26/cate...t-silverstone/
Caterham Seven Championship replaces F4 at Silverstone
EDIT: F4 round moves to June 23/25 on Silverstone GP, supporting Britcar
That's really interesting to see. F4 had wanted to go to the full Silverstone GP for a while - also means that all 3 of their races will be livestreamed on YouTube.

Good exposure too for the Caterhams.

[I will amend my earlier post]
Old 26 Oct 2022, 08:41 (Ref:4131479)   #492
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[UPDATED] By my reckoning still awaiting announcements for the gaps at Brands Indy, Snetterton, Thruxton, Oulton Park, Croft, and Knockhill

Donington Park National 22/23 April
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge GB

Brands Hatch Indy 6/7 May
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Snetterton 20/21 May
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Sprint Challenge
TBA

Thruxton 3/4 June
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Oulton Park 17/18 June
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Croft 29/30 July
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Sprint Challenge
TBA

Knockhill 12/13 August
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
TBA

Donington GP August 26/27
BTCC
British F4
MINI Trophy
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge

Silverstone National September 23/24
BTCC
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge
Caterham Seven Championship UK

Brands Hatch GP October 7/8
BTCC
British F4
MINI JCW
Porsche Carrera Cup GB
Porsche Sprint Challenge

Sources: https://www.minichallenge.co.uk/2022...023-calendars/; https://sportscarracingnews.com/2022...cup-gb-season/; https://sportscarracingnews.com/2022...-toca-in-2023/; https://www.fiaformula4.com/final-20...dar-announced/; https://www.btcc.net/2022/10/26/cate...t-silverstone/
Old 26 Oct 2022, 09:58 (Ref:4131498)   #493
Evantra
Veteran

England
Somebody on Reddit saying the Mini Miglias will be at Thruxton (hopefully!)

Nice to get a chance to see Caterhams, not sure what the grid'll be like sizewise?
Old 26 Oct 2022, 10:49 (Ref:4131503)   #494
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Nice to get a chance to see Caterhams, not sure what the grid'll be like sizewise?
From 2022
Brands - 16
Snetterton - 16
Silverstone GP - 17
Donington - 20
Anglesey - 11

That was with BRSCC, they are moving to BARC for 2023, which may or may not effect numbers.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 11:03 (Ref:4131504)   #495
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
From 2022
Brands - 16
Snetterton - 16
Silverstone GP - 17
Donington - 20
Anglesey - 11

That was with BRSCC, they are moving to BARC for 2023, which may or may not effect numbers.
Thank you! It was alright until it got to Anglesey!
Old 26 Oct 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4131505)   #496
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Thank you! It was alright until it got to Anglesey!
Yeah but it's Anglesey so we can probably forgive them for that!
Old 26 Oct 2022, 15:04 (Ref:4131535)   #497
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Radicals at Snett and Oulton.

https://www.btcc.net/2022/10/26/hagerty-radical-cup-uk-to-make-toca-debut-in-2023/
Old 26 Oct 2022, 15:17 (Ref:4131538)   #498
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Radicals at Snett and Oulton.

https://www.btcc.net/2022/10/26/hagerty-radical-cup-uk-to-make-toca-debut-in-2023/
If the grid is as full as in the photo, should be good.

And, like the Caterhams, it's only for a couple rounds anyway. Nice to see something different.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 15:19 (Ref:4131539)   #499
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, I think it’s good that there’s lots of ‘guest’ slots for variety.
Old 26 Oct 2022, 15:41 (Ref:4131544)   #500
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
If the grid is as full as in the photo, should be good.
I think the picture is from the Silverstone GP rounds where it was the SR1 Cup and Challenge combined.

2022 entries
Donington - 13
Brands GP - 12
Snetterton - 10 (9 starters)
Silverstone GP - 12 (+ 23 Challenge entries)
Outon Park - 10
Donington GP - 14

hmm

EDIT: Note to self, read the full story first. SR1 Cup and Challenge are combining for 2023 so maybe the photo is representitive.

Last edited by redshoes; 26 Oct 2022 at 15:51.