Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Oct 2022, 13:33 (Ref:4131778)   #526
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Also am I right in saying WSR will no longer have factory BMW support from next year?

I may be wrong, but I think that WSR has or has had BMW UK dealer support rather than direct factory support. Whether that is to be continued or not , I haven't a clue.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4131781)   #527
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
I may be wrong, but I think that WSR has or has had BMW UK dealer support rather than direct factory support. Whether that is to be continued or not , I haven't a clue.
Dick Bennetts confirmed in interview recently that they have zero factory support from BMW, and just a dealer connection.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 14:23 (Ref:4131795)   #528
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tocatrucky View Post
Mike Simpson's hand is quite heavy. His vision was to create GT-headed career drivers not F1-headed wealthy family drivers. That meant getting away from the FIA F4/F3/F2 ladder and aligned with a GT package, Plus good optics for the business anyway.
Except none of that was a factor.

SRO offered a deal that would save Ginetta a quarter of a million pounds a year compared with TOCA, in exchange for exclusivity.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 14:31 (Ref:4131799)   #529
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
I would imagine he will be staying with the family team in their BMWs
You are assuming it's still the family team
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:13 (Ref:4131805)   #530
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
You are assuming it's still the family team
So... have MB bought the race team from Ciceley?
Old 28 Oct 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4131816)   #531
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Dick Bennetts confirmed in interview recently that they have zero factory support from BMW, and just a dealer connection.
sorry your wrong
show me where he said wsr has just a dealer connection

the team is supported direct by bmw uk and not dealers

this from their website;
In 2017, WSR were honoured to be chosen as BMW’s Manufacturer team in the BTCC as the German brand returned to the series in an official capacity following a 21-year absence
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:06 (Ref:4131842)   #532
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not wishing to start an argument, but BMW (UK) Ltd are not the factory, but it is the vehicle that is used to import and distribute worldwide products as well as the sales, repairs and maintenance of vehicles in the UK.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:12 (Ref:4131845)   #533
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not wishing to start an argument, but BMW (UK) Ltd are not the factory, but it is the vehicle that is used to import and distribute worldwide products as well as the sales, repairs and maintenance of vehicles in the UK.
Who owns it? For example the Dutch Toyota and VAG importers are independent companies not owned by Toyota and VAG.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:15 (Ref:4131848)   #534
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My mistake. Apologies.

It was 09 Oct 22, when he said: "we're not a Works Team, we're a manufacturer assisted team"
I'd mis-recalled this as being 'dealer assisted' and was a misrepresentation by me.

It is the manufacturer providing some (small) financial backing for the manufacturer entry, but not factory support.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:20 (Ref:4131849)   #535
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Who owns it? For example the Dutch Toyota and VAG importers are independent companies not owned by Toyota and VAG.

I believe that it is a totally autonomous subsidiary of the German company, and 3 out of 4 directors are British with an HQ in the UK. Oh, and it oversees the dealer network.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 17:28 (Ref:4131852)   #536
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When I said 'factory' I probably should've said 'manufacturer', apologies for any confusion. Although as I understand BMW support of any kind will cease from 2023 onwards.
Old 28 Oct 2022, 19:12 (Ref:4131872)   #537
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
bmw uk is 100% owned by bmw

wsr are the manufacturer backed team for bmw.
its really simple.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 11:35 (Ref:4132036)   #538
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
bmw uk is 100% owned by bmw

wsr are the manufacturer backed team for bmw.
its really simple.
Not if you want a semantic row it isn’t
Old 30 Oct 2022, 12:06 (Ref:4132040)   #539
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Ciceley have put their hospitality unit up for sale, which may or may not support this.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 13:59 (Ref:4132052)   #540
Pickles
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ciceley have put their hospitality unit up for sale, which may or may not support this.
Yea I saw that this morning, wasn't really sure what to read into it
Old 30 Oct 2022, 21:52 (Ref:4132113)   #541
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When I said 'factory' I probably should've said 'manufacturer', apologies for any confusion. Although as I understand BMW support of any kind will cease from 2023 onwards.
Is there any source for this? Haven't heard anything about it to be fair and I seem to recall there's a 'WSR won't be a factory team next year' slogan year in and year out so just wondering whether this time there's any substance to this rumour.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 09:52 (Ref:4132175)   #542
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Morgan to WSR? MB to buy the Cicely cars and run Hill and AN Other? MB to use TOCA bus again for Hospitality?

Would work for all parties perhaps? Morgan has 3 very young kids now and a more ‘arrive and drive’ arrangement might work well for him and the family.

Laser Tools to order a couple of Cupras for their 2022 drivers as well perhaps? Some testing the other week in Team Hard cars might suggest this move has realistic possibility of coming to fruition.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 10:44 (Ref:4132182)   #543
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
On 11th October, Dick Bennetts said: 'We're piecing together next year already and hopefully by the end of this month we'll have everything buttoned up to what we're doing. Which will be probably 1 or 2 months earlier than previous'

So whatever the situation is, it seems to have more clarity than previous years.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 13:01 (Ref:4132208)   #544
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've seen a couple rumours that Legends will have a spot on the TOCA package - not sure in what capacity - and they're promising their biggest ever announcement tomorrow, which may or may not fit the bill. We'll see tomorrow!
Old 31 Oct 2022, 13:23 (Ref:4132213)   #545
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
I've seen a couple rumours that Legends will have a spot on the TOCA package - not sure in what capacity - and they're promising their biggest ever announcement tomorrow, which may or may not fit the bill. We'll see tomorrow!
They race A LOT at Brands Hatch already and there’s a slot left on the schedule there. Not sure about Croft, Thruxton or Knockhill though. Knockhill could work but it’s a long way, I don’t think the other two would suit the cars.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 13:54 (Ref:4132214)   #546
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Legends where a regular on the TOCA package back in the early/mid-2000's.

I do remember seeing them at Croft and Knockhill a couple times.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4132216)   #547
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
They race A LOT at Brands Hatch already and there’s a slot left on the schedule there. Not sure about Croft, Thruxton or Knockhill though. Knockhill could work but it’s a long way, I don’t think the other two would suit the cars.
Knockhill does work for Legends - there is a Knockhill based championship, which is quite good. The National championship does regular appear at Croft so would also work (as, of course, does Brands). I suspect that Thruxton is too fast and long for Legends to work - I don't recall them having a meeting there in the last 20 years, or so.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 14:56 (Ref:4132220)   #548
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we could possibly hypothesise then that the Legends will join for Brands Indy, Croft, and Knockhill, and the Mini Miglias (who have delayed their 2023 calendar announcement) will take the Thruxton slot
Old 31 Oct 2022, 16:33 (Ref:4132232)   #549
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WSR to be sold to MB Racing/Rokit
Lazer tools/Moffat to join with Dynamics for 2 x 2 car teams
Old 31 Oct 2022, 16:39 (Ref:4132234)   #550
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
WSR to be sold to MB Racing/Rokit
Lazer tools/Moffat to join with Dynamics for 2 x 2 car teams
What?