Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 Oct 2022, 14:03 (Ref:4132054)   #1501
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll try it again!

https://poa.tv/jaguar-xj40-estate-br...ent-3-au-monde

Click on the video link - although the picture is the later Jaguar prototype the actual video features the blue car, I guess in Paris at the Vincennes do. It certainly looks like a January day!

No, doesn't work either, sorry.Must be a French thing...
Old 30 Oct 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4132055)   #1502
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
We considered a Focus estate for Management when seeking to replace the Corolla. The one with the slightly raised ride height and stuff.

The trouble was that with the driver seat at the right position for her driving the top of the A-pillar occupied that space where her head needed to go when getting in and out.

That was pre-covid days iirc. Ended up with a Kia Niro. Don't have a dog to consider. Like the idea of the 7 year warranty. That will probably see us through to the end of our driving days/personal car bans/unavailability of petrol - whichever comes sooner.
We're trading in a Fiesta ST so headroom is no issue.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4132056)   #1503
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope Error 404.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4132062)   #1504
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Try this:
http://poa.tv/jaguar/2017/jaguar-xj4...ent-3-au-monde

(I guess it’s that page?)

Would have been a good estate. I had an XJ40. Really nice.

I too am a fan of the Lynx Eventer. Those are going for loads now!

I once saw an XJS Luton van. That was silly, but I thought interesting.

I’ve had a CLS shooting brake. Which is similar concept. Liked that too.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4132063)   #1505
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, that's the same clip, albeit with a slightly different heading. Very strange.

Brings back a few happy memories, though. I delivered the car new in January 1990.
There was never a dull moment with Chris Humberstone as his fertile mind was forever leaping from one crazy project to the next. When he tragically died suddenly at far too young an age he was working on the design of a new limousine to fill the gap in the market that Daimler had vacated. Wonder wahatever happened to that?
Old 30 Oct 2022, 21:17 (Ref:4132103)   #1506
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, that's the same clip, albeit with a slightly different heading. Very strange.

Brings back a few happy memories, though. I delivered the car new in January 1990.
There was never a dull moment with Chris Humberstone as his fertile mind was forever leaping from one crazy project to the next. When he tragically died suddenly at far too young an age he was working on the design of a new limousine to fill the gap in the market that Daimler had vacated. Wonder wahatever happened to that?
Love that. That's my kind of Estate car.

Looks like a rear wiper might be a good idea though.
Old 30 Oct 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4132105)   #1507
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I took this pic in August. https://www.flickr.com/photos/409819...7720301306735/
Old 30 Oct 2022, 22:13 (Ref:4132123)   #1508
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've worked on quite a few Lynx Eventers, but in my opinion they're over-rated. Despite being converted by a well known outfit, I thought the standard of workmanship on the conversion was poor - at least, on the ones I've seen.

The tailgate was some cobbled-up affair, made from parts of the original XJS boot lid welded to the top half of a tailgate from something else - I forget what now, but it was not well executed. As a result, the finished tailgate is a rust-trap, as is the join across the roof where they extended it.

Couple this to the inherent problems of the original XJS and it makes for a fairly poor end result.

Having said all that, I'll admit that it was a good concept - it had a huge load area with the rear seats folded, and it was a much prettier car than the original XJS coupe.

One of the ones I worked on had once belonged to Innes Ireland and it appeared to have led a charmed life, as it was suffering none of the usual problems associated with most of the others I saw. That one was a nice thing, but I guess something like that now would be worth £60K+. At that price point, I think my money would be spent elsewhere...
Old 31 Oct 2022, 07:19 (Ref:4132144)   #1509
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ah - that could be the first car built. I took it to the DVLC for certification, which it gained with no problems. It had a different registration then, F44 RVH.
Old 31 Oct 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4132151)   #1510
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
No details for that reg on DVLA checker
Old 31 Oct 2022, 12:08 (Ref:4132195)   #1511
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
What is strange with your link, John, is that not only we get the usual 404 error not found but it shows the upper half of the well known Pug 404! C'est le progres. No big deal in fact.
Old 1 Nov 2022, 12:01 (Ref:4132312)   #1512
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why is it that our "esteemed" members of parliament think that it is right and proper to swan off to appear on reality programmes whilst the house is still sitting? Does it not occur to them that they are being paid by their electors to do a job of work and that they are supposed to be representing their constituents in parliament? They should be suspended from parliament and salary stopped.

The same applies, in my mind, to those MPs who also go off on parliamentary jollies. Why can't they be organised to take place when the house is not sitting? Oh, and of course, the same also applies to those MPs who just go off on holiday during parliamentary time, as one of our recent PMs did, and had to fly back earlier than he planned so that he could try to persuade some members that he was fit and proper to be reinstated.
Old 1 Nov 2022, 13:16 (Ref:4132321)   #1513
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Why is it that our "esteemed" members of parliament think that it is right and proper to swan off to appear on reality programmes whilst the house is still sitting? Does it not occur to them that they are being paid by their electors to do a job of work and that they are supposed to be representing their constituents in parliament? They should be suspended from parliament and salary stopped.

The same applies, in my mind, to those MPs who also go off on parliamentary jollies. Why can't they be organised to take place when the house is not sitting? Oh, and of course, the same also applies to those MPs who just go off on holiday during parliamentary time, as one of our recent PMs did, and had to fly back earlier than he planned so that he could try to persuade some members that he was fit and proper to be reinstated.

Totally agree. This lot, both sides of the divide, are a disgrace.
Old 1 Nov 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4132362)   #1514
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It occurs to me that it might be interesting to discover whether persuading all of them to take a very long holiday might be an improvement compared to existing outcomes.

Hancock probably reviewed how things worked out for Dorries and decided that a reported £360k while he is still somewhat newsworthy was a decent return for his time. Especially if he can arrange to be kicked out early.

He'll be back in the fold before the next election (probably) and then either "retire" (Has he done 10 years yet?) or get kicked out.
Old 2 Nov 2022, 07:44 (Ref:4132390)   #1515
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I personally feel that it is another example of our politicians overwhelming overestimation of their own self importance. They constantly behave as if they're above any rules or regulations and show a total disregard for the people that they are supposed to be serving. (It also shows that they are prepared to put their own personal gain above anything else).
Yep, you guessed it, I'm not a fan!
Old 2 Nov 2022, 07:52 (Ref:4132392)   #1516
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I personally feel that it is another example of our politicians overwhelming overestimation of their own self importance. They constantly behave as if they're above any rules or regulations and show a total disregard for the people that they are supposed to be serving. (It also shows that they are prepared to put their own personal gain above anything else).
Yep, you guessed it, I'm not a fan!
Agreed.
Old 2 Nov 2022, 13:04 (Ref:4132430)   #1517
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
It doesn't seem as if many people are in favour of Hancock's antics.....the odd one "justifying" it with the claim that he'll be highlighting his cause of support for dyslexia....hmmm......and that he'll be giving a donation to charity.....oh good....

The man's a self-aggrandising clown, IMHO.
Old 5 Nov 2022, 12:10 (Ref:4132680)   #1518
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Not just from Nigeria!

I received this interesting letter last week. I'm sure it must be a scam but I am intrigued to know how this person found my postal address and then too the trouble (and expense, I can't be the only person with the same surname) to actually send me an actual letter.
Does anyone think it's worth creating a spoof email account and replying to him?
Click image for larger version

Name:	MrWing.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	76403
Old 5 Nov 2022, 12:20 (Ref:4132681)   #1519
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
It doesn't seem as if many people are in favour of Hancock's antics.....the odd one "justifying" it with the claim that he'll be highlighting his cause of support for dyslexia....hmmm......and that he'll be giving a donation to charity.....oh good....

The man's a self-aggrandising clown, IMHO.
I thought he had sexdaily!
Old 5 Nov 2022, 12:21 (Ref:4132682)   #1520
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
I received this interesting letter last week. I'm sure it must be a scam but I am intrigued to know how this person found my postal address and then too the trouble (and expense, I can't be the only person with the same surname) to actually send me an actual letter.
Does anyone think it's worth creating a spoof email account and replying to him?
Attachment 76403
Ignore it don't respond because they'll get your IP address and from there all sorts of crap can arise.
Old 5 Nov 2022, 13:22 (Ref:4132685)   #1521
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Attachment 76403
What Peter said!!!
Old 5 Nov 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4132692)   #1522
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Ignore it don't respond because they'll get your IP address and from there all sorts of crap can arise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
What Peter said!!!
Thanks chaps, advice taken
Old 5 Nov 2022, 18:48 (Ref:4132702)   #1523
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a typical "Nigerian" scam. Just ask yourself - ",is it likely that...?"

As I. "is it likely that a CFO will ask me to take part in a crime?"

The fact that this came by post shows how much they can scam off unsuspecting individuals..

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Nov 2022, 00:26 (Ref:4132740)   #1524
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
[QUOTE=VIVA GT]I received this interesting letter last week. I'm sure it must be a scam but I am intrigued to know how this person found my postal address and then too the trouble (and expense, I can't be the only person with the same surname) to actually send me an actual letter.

As it said "should you be prepared to accept my proposal" I would think it's from "Mission impossible" Go on, it can't possibly be a scam from them
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 6 Nov 2022, 11:49 (Ref:4132780)   #1525
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'd been cleverly constructed as there must be thousands of deceased's estates around the world where relatives/beneficiaries can't be traced but which are known to solicitors, bank employees, etc. Was the name of the deceased traceable on the net?
Closed Thread