Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4134961)   #26
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Schumacher?
Old 26 Nov 2022, 15:06 (Ref:4134962)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Clay Regazzoni?
Old 26 Nov 2022, 15:47 (Ref:4134965)   #28
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Clay Regazzoni?
Yes, Clay Regazzoni is the correct answer, and the missing word at the end of the phrase was 'Clay'. Fittipaldi said it about Regazzoni forcing him onto the grass at Watkins Glen in 1974, when they were level on points and battling for the championship. So back to S griffin for the next question.

He may have said something similar about Schumacher as well, but this particular quote is about Regazzoni.
Old 26 Nov 2022, 17:57 (Ref:4134970)   #29
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Who was the last driver to compete in F1 and BTCC the same year?
Old 26 Nov 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4134973)   #30
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Who was the last driver to compete in F1 and BTCC the same year?
I'll guess Gabriele Tarquini in '95. He also competed in DTM and ITCC in '95. I can't recall anyone since.

(Incidentally, Coulthard was also behind the wheel of a BTCC car and F1 car that year - but didn't 'compete' in BTCC).
Old 26 Nov 2022, 20:42 (Ref:4134975)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damn. Every time I look, someone's answered it!
Old 26 Nov 2022, 21:01 (Ref:4134977)   #32
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Assuming I was correct (and if not, sorry) - the next question:

Giancarlo Baghetti - 1961 French GP
Jackie Stewart - 1965 Italian GP
Clay Regazzoni - 1970 Italian GP
Emerson Fittipaldi - 1970 United States GP
Juan Pablo Montoya - 2001 Italian GP

Why would Johnnie Parsons - 1950 Indianapolis 500 be added to the list, but not Bruce McLaren 1959 United States GP?
Old 26 Nov 2022, 22:49 (Ref:4134980)   #33
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Giancarlo Baghetti - 1961 French GP
Jackie Stewart - 1965 Italian GP
Clay Regazzoni - 1970 Italian GP
Emerson Fittipaldi - 1970 United States GP
Juan Pablo Montoya - 2001 Italian GP

Why would Johnnie Parsons - 1950 Indianapolis 500 be added to the list, but not Bruce McLaren 1959 United States GP?
Because they all won their GPs in their first F1 season.
McLarens was not his first season?
If correct then:
This is debatable because he was in a F2 division in 1958 and not eligible for F1 points, and it was only two events so nothing like a full season. Drivers who are rookies in modern times are counted as rookies even if they have two events from a previous season.
Johnny Parsons Indy 500 not a F1 (GP) race even if it did count towards the WDC.
Old 26 Nov 2022, 23:33 (Ref:4134983)   #34
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:

Giancarlo Baghetti - 1961French GP
Jackie Stewart - 1965Italian GP
Clay Regazzoni- 1970Italian GP
Emerson Fittipaldi - 1970United States GP
Juan Pablo Montoya - 2001Italian GP

Villeneuve Jr and Hamilton can be added to that list. Btw, you were right about Tarquini. 1995, with a half season in an Alfa in the BTCC and a one off race for Tyrrell in F1
Old 26 Nov 2022, 23:41 (Ref:4134984)   #35
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Villeneuve Jr and Hamilton can be added to that list. Btw, you were right about Tarquini. 1995, with a half season in an Alfa in the BTCC and a one off race for Tyrrell in F1
And another is Jacky Ickx who won at Rouen in 1968.
That is what led me to the F2 question.
The Nürburgring often filled out the field with F2 but it was hardly a F1 race for them, even though Ickx was running 4th overall at one point in a Tyrrell Matra before retiring.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 00:06 (Ref:4134988)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

I think that’s the point. Both McLaren and Ickx competed in the F2 class the year before they won their first GP
Old 27 Nov 2022, 03:02 (Ref:4135015)   #37
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
I think that’s the point. Both McLaren and Ickx competed in the F2 class the year before they won their first GP
But its not a season nor are they regular F1 drivers.
If we padded out the current GP grid with 6 or 8 F2 cars would we regard those drivers as competing in F1?

This practice was almost exclusively on the Nürburgring, which is the basis of my point.

In none of my questions would I regard such a driver in an isolated event as competing in F1 if not in an F1 car nor being eligible for points.
They were in a F2 race and formed up separately.
Ickx was fast enough for the front row of the F1 grid!
And this would have been the subject of my next question had crmalcom not asked it!

Last edited by Teretonga; 27 Nov 2022 at 03:16.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 07:26 (Ref:4135024)   #38
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Because they all won their GPs in their first F1 season.
McLarens was not his first season?
Yes - this is the correct answer.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 08:02 (Ref:4135025)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

And that's why Johnnie Parsons was included
Old 27 Nov 2022, 09:09 (Ref:4135033)   #40
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
And that's why Johnnie Parsons was included
Yes - the full list would read:

Jacques Villeneuve - 1996 - European, British, Hungarian, Portuguese
Lewis Hamilton - 2007 - Canadian, United States, Hungarian, Japanese
Juan Manuel Fangio - 1950 - Monaco, Belgian, French
Giuseppe Farina - 1950 - British, Swiss, Italian
Johnnie Parsons - 1950 - Indianapolis 500
Giancarlo Baghetti - 1961 - French
Jackie Stewart - 1965 - Italian
Clay Regazzoni - 1970 - Italian
Emerson Fittipaldi - 1970 - United States
Juan Pablo Montoya - 2001 - Italian

The criteria for being on the list is to have a race win in the first season that you participated in a championship race.
Bruce McLaren does not appear on the list because he participated in two championship races in 1958, but was ineligible to score points.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 10:39 (Ref:4135038)   #41
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I''m hijacking the thread here, but as we're waiting for another question -

What links Lance Stroll, Nico Hülkenberg, Kevin Magnussen and Alexander Albon?
Old 27 Nov 2022, 13:36 (Ref:4135048)   #42
S griffin
Veteran

Tough one. It’s hard because Hulk is the only one who hasn’t got a podium!
Old 27 Nov 2022, 16:50 (Ref:4135060)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I've got another clue to the question, but I'll wait longer before putting it.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 21:25 (Ref:4135076)   #44
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I''m hijacking the thread here, but as we're waiting for another question -

What links Lance Stroll, Nico Hülkenberg, Kevin Magnussen and Alexander Albon?

They have all led F1 races but have not won.
Old 27 Nov 2022, 22:58 (Ref:4135078)   #45
S griffin
Veteran

I think it’s that they all have had one pole, but no win
Old 27 Nov 2022, 23:15 (Ref:4135079)   #46
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Yes - this is the correct answer.
Well if I am the winner then this is a question.
What do John Surtees and Lewis Hamilton have in common?

Last edited by Teretonga; 27 Nov 2022 at 23:20.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 01:54 (Ref:4135091)   #47
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Well if I am the winner then this is a question.
What do John Surtees and Lewis Hamilton have in common?
Well they both hail from Pomgolia, both have been knighted, both have won World Championships, both have had a relationship with Mercedes, both have a connection to karting (off the top of my head, probably more things in common).
Old 28 Nov 2022, 05:08 (Ref:4135099)   #48
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Well they both hail from Pomgolia, both have been knighted, both have won World Championships, both have had a relationship with Mercedes, both have a connection to karting (off the top of my head, probably more things in common).
Sadly John Surtees was never knighted. He does have a CBE but no knighthood. (Lewis is not a CBE but does have an MBE.)
Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:12 (Ref:4135100)   #49
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
They have all led F1 races but have not won.
Interesting, but it's not right. The only one of those who hasn't led a lap (and Albon has led exactly one) is Magnussen.

Quote:
I think it’s that they all have had one pole, but no win
Stroll and Hulkenberg have had poles, but Magnussen and Albon haven't.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 06:19 (Ref:4135102)   #50
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Interesting, but it's not right. The only one of those who hasn't led a lap (and Albon has led exactly one) is Magnussen.

Stroll and Hulkenberg have had poles, but Magnussen and Albon haven't.

Clue: Leclerc, Pérez, Russell, Sainz, Ocon, Bottas, Ricciardo and Gasly all have something similar in common to what Magnussen, Stroll, Hulkenberg and Albon have in common, but with a key difference.