Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 28 Nov 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4135150)   #676
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Morgan to WSR...
Old 28 Nov 2022, 11:51 (Ref:4135154)   #677
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
WSR Uberteam then? That would be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:04 (Ref:4135155)   #678
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MB stepping up another notch, with support from WSR? Will we see WSR drop to 2 'TEAM BMW' cars then MB as a satellite team?

As for Morgan, I initially read the article as racing outside of BTCC...
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:24 (Ref:4135157)   #679
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
MB stepping up another notch, with support from WSR? Will we see WSR drop to 2 'TEAM BMW' cars then MB as a satellite team?

WSR to stay as 3 cars with MB replacing Cicely as the 2-car customer team. No real change to this year.

And I read the same for Morgan. Doing something next year, just not BTCC.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:28 (Ref:4135159)   #680
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
I guess that all comes down to how you interpret 'I fully intend to continue competing at the highest level of UK motorsport' ?

I read it (particularly as it was mentioned on the official site) as meaning BTCC - but it could equally be one of the other series.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:32 (Ref:4135161)   #681
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
WSR to stay as 3 cars with MB replacing Cicely as the 2-car customer team. No real change to this year.
If it does turn out that way - it will be interesting to see who WSR get in to replace Hill? And how Hill responds to someone taking over his seat?

The TBL list will be intriguing....
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:41 (Ref:4135162)   #682
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If it does turn out that way - it will be interesting to see who WSR get in to replace Hill?
Jordan ?
Old 28 Nov 2022, 12:43 (Ref:4135164)   #683
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
it will be interesting to see who WSR get in to replace Hill? And how Hill responds to someone taking over his seat?
Hill will be in one of the MB Motorsport BMWs, probably with the same engineer, so not sure he will care who gets the WSR drive.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 13:40 (Ref:4135174)   #684
Overboost
Racer

Overboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOverboost should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post

And I read the same for Morgan. Doing something next year, just not BTCC.
WSR will run all four cars, with Jake in the MB one & no extra MB BMW this next season.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 13:59 (Ref:4135179)   #685
porsche962fan
Veteran

wouldn't it be 5 BMW ?

3 WSR plus 2 ex Cicely
Old 28 Nov 2022, 14:47 (Ref:4135188)   #686
S700UBO
Racer

Scotland
Inverness
S700UBO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TBL announcement must be imminent!

Would Hazard next couple days?
Old 28 Nov 2022, 14:54 (Ref:4135189)   #687
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
wouldn't it be 5 BMW ?

3 WSR plus 2 ex Cicely
That depends on who acquires the 2x TBLs that were in the hands of Ciceley, what WSR do with their 3x TBLs and the plans for the 6x BMWs.

Always remember - Ciceley might be selling the cars to another team that want to use the NGTC components in a different make of car.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 14:55 (Ref:4135190)   #688
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow that's completely surprising for me, never saw that coming. Quite a shame. I assume Morgan may have quite a safe landing with WSR/MB if he decides to carry on.
I wonder what Gamble does, I really hope he can stay in the BTCC as his debut season was really impressive and kind of hoped he can build on that and have some nice future in the BTCC. Personally, a MB team of Hill and Gamble would be perfect in my view. But that's ifs and buts of course.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 15:52 (Ref:4135197)   #689
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That depends on who acquires the 2x TBLs that were in the hands of Ciceley, what WSR do with their 3x TBLs and the plans for the 6x BMWs.

Always remember - Ciceley might be selling the cars to another team that want to use the NGTC components in a different make of car.
Didn't Motorbase want to go RWD?
Old 28 Nov 2022, 15:59 (Ref:4135199)   #690
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
They did but last news I heard on that seemed to suggest keeping Fords is the most likely option after all.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:01 (Ref:4135200)   #691
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
They do / did. The NGTC parts may be attractive to them - or even to take the cars and make the switch to BMW.

One thing I am not sure of is the homologation restrictions they may face if they take on the BMWs. Laser Tools faced the same challenge when they had the A-Class, and Ciceley held restrictions over the changes that Laser Tools could make with the car.

Moffat Sr: "Aiden wasn't enjoying himself with the Mercedes. Everyone else had moved on so much, and Ciceley had the rights to the car, so although I was prepared to spend money on development they seemed to want to go in their own direction"

I'm sure that the Motorbase camp will be wary of this when deciding whether to take on the BMWs.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:08 (Ref:4135202)   #692
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
They do / did. The NGTC parts may be attractive to them - or even to take the cars and make the switch to BMW.

One thing I am not sure of is the homologation restrictions they may face if they take on the BMWs. Laser Tools faced the same challenge when they had the A-Class, and Ciceley held restrictions over the changes that Laser Tools could make with the car.

Moffat Sr: "Aiden wasn't enjoying himself with the Mercedes. Everyone else had moved on so much, and Ciceley had the rights to the car, so although I was prepared to spend money on development they seemed to want to go in their own direction"

I'm sure that the Motorbase camp will be wary of this when deciding whether to take on the BMWs.
Unless there’s 4 BMWs for sale I doubt Motorbase would be buying them. It’s a four car team not two
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:10 (Ref:4135203)   #693
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

autosport today say that Morgan will be taking one of his TBL to WSR to make a four car squad and their other TBL has been sold to speedworks to run three cars.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 16:43 (Ref:4135207)   #694
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

It may not be totally clear-cut, to us on the outside, about who holds any rights to the BMW. However, it must be borne in mind that the Ciceley cars were originally sourced from WSR, so there may be restrictions placed on what can be done by either WSR and/or Cicely.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 17:04 (Ref:4135213)   #695
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
so there may be restrictions placed on what can be done by either WSR and/or Cicely.
what restrictions when most of the car is standard parts anyway
Old 28 Nov 2022, 17:48 (Ref:4135216)   #696
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
what restrictions when most of the car is standard parts anyway
In 2019, Bob Moffat spoke at length about the restrictions placed on them in developing the A-Class.
They had no access to the IP rights, and all of the development direction was dictated by Ciceley to suit Adam Morgan's style - not Aiden Moffat's.

BTC have also found themselves in the same situation with the TD Civics, with having to adopt the aero package that TD apply to the car, and not provide their own.

There may be a lot of common parts underneath, but body, aero and packaging of the parts is determined by the homologation and rights owner of the car. In the case of the 330e, I would expect this to be WSR that hold the rights, meaning that anyone who purchased the ex-Ciceley cars would have to follow WSR's lead for development (not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want to beat them you may want to take a different path).
It is this reason that BTC want to move away from having a customer car, and applies to a lot of teams on the grid having built NGTC experience.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:20 (Ref:4135222)   #697
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
It is this reason that BTC want to move away from having a customer car, and applies to a lot of teams on the grid having built NGTC experience.
I don't understand , back in the Group C days a lot of Porsche 956 / 962 customers did their own development on those cars, most well know a certain Richard Lloyd and his 962 GTI , a brand newly developed chassis underneath and outside things like a front wing and modified rear wing and a big company like Porsche didn't mind and in the BTCC they stuck with restrictive crap like this

Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:21 (Ref:4135223)   #698
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Shame we won’t see Cicely. Hope someone snaps up Morgan, as he can then show he’s not a one trick pony, who can only win in his family team
Old 28 Nov 2022, 18:31 (Ref:4135227)   #699
coffinpilot
Racer

coffinpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the 4x BMW for WSR (two each for WSR and MB satellite if that's the case.)

With 6 BMW's having being built. Is chassis #1 retired again?
With #1 replacing #6 damaged at Oulton for the second half of the year, does that mean that there is a possibility that #6 hasn't been/won't be fully repaired? Meaning it's a bit easier to bring the two Ciceley machines under the WSR wings than building another?

Must admit when I read the statement my initial thought was that Morgan was gone - with a personal hope that he'd go to TCR to pick up from the end of 2019 ;-) I mean, if the racing bug is still there, without the hassle of sorting an NGTC car out every two weeks, and the expense of GT, would it be a thing? But after reading Autosport it seems likely doesn't it?

I still reckon that one or two from this year might look at TCR for next year, Europe or UK considering the budget difference.
Old 28 Nov 2022, 19:18 (Ref:4135244)   #700
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
autosport today say that Morgan will be taking one of his TBL to WSR to make a four car squad and their other TBL has been sold to speedworks to run three cars.
Further to this - Marcus Simmons at Autosport has suggested WSRs 2023 line-up will be Turkington, Jelley, Hill, and Morgan. According to Simmons, Gamble is in discussions with FWD and RWD teams for the 2023 season.

Last edited by SSmith; 28 Nov 2022 at 19:19. Reason: Corrected grammar