Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jan 2023, 18:49 (Ref:4139124)   #76
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I’ve told you this before but it was 30 years ago that we built a Delta FF2000 at the show.
I've always been fascinated by this kind of work done on a show. Yes sometimes its a bit scripted but we have absolutely nothing comparable here. I tried once to have several teams refurbishing a car in situ but at the end it was impossible to do it.
Old 6 Jan 2023, 19:16 (Ref:4139125)   #77
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
On the Thursday morning we put the new floor on the chassis . We were surrounded by spectators watching us doing the riveting . Crazy
Old 6 Jan 2023, 19:34 (Ref:4139128)   #78
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
Me, together with John F and Ian B are going on Friday. £25 bought in advance. Didn't know about parking, how much exactly is the rip-off?
If you buy in advance parking is £12.85.

I thought I was due to be somewhere else this weekend, so hadn't pre booked which is why it's now £30 I suppose. Haven't confirmed if I'm going yet, have to see how kart prep goes this week. Meet at the Absolute Alignment stand if I do?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Jan 2023, 19:45 (Ref:4139129)   #79
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
On the Thursday morning we put the new floor on the chassis .
Cant remember the year but was moons ago at Beaulieu tjey had a team refurbishing what I believe was a Westminster, they bought all the needed parts at the jumble. Of course as if by magic they found everything from the gearbox to the suspension parts and some interior trim too. It worked fine.

All we could do was to rent the Alpine 1000 hp record 1927 and exhibit it at the Paris show. What a hassle, between the transportation to and from not mentioning the insurance fee! Spectacular machine for sure. Happy days.
Old 6 Jan 2023, 22:40 (Ref:4139136)   #80
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
I sometimes tune in to Radio 2 but it's not the same as it was. After Terry Wogan I did eventually get used to Chris Evans but the latest encumbent is dire. Only Ken Bruce saves the day for me with R2 now. The BBC radio controller's announced intention to promote females and minorities rather than choose the best person for the job is turning me off the Beeb.

Used to listen to Radio 2 all the time. For me, the slippery slope began a few years ago when they gave the breakfast show to Zoe Ball. What! She seems to spend most of her time trying to coax her brain to catch up with her gob, as what she says mostly seems to be well ahead of any thought that may have gone into it!

Then, a couple of years ago, some bright spark decided it would be a good idea to ruin Simon Mayo's perfectly acceptable drive-time show by forcing him to share it with the personality-free zone that is Jo Whiley. Needless to say, there was absolutely no chemistry between the two, and Simon, rather than continue with the cringe-worthy relationship, buggered off to commercial radio a few months later, leaving the drive-time show to be inherited by Sara Cox.

As if all this wasn't bad enough, they then, just a few months ago, canned the legend Steve Wright's afternoon show, only to replace him with some insipid individual whose name I can't even recall - but I've heard enough to know he's truly hopeless.

Jeremy Vine is far too full of himself nowadays, and has gone from being an impartial presenter a few years ago to being biased and too full of himself. I think getting TV work has gone to his head and given him ideas above his station.

So, all we're left with now is good old Ken Bruce, plus the once-weekly delight of Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the Seventies. But how long before they, in turn, are squeezed out by the bonkers PC brigade in charge, and replaced with talentless, woke individuals in the name of 'inclusiveness'?
Old 6 Jan 2023, 22:45 (Ref:4139137)   #81
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Agreed 100% Paul .We can’t be the only ones disgruntled with Radio 2 . I shall be up at 5.30 tomorrow walk the dog and listen to Tony Blackburn for an hour before heading to Delta HQ. ?
Old 7 Jan 2023, 00:01 (Ref:4139139)   #82
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I tend to listen to some of the internet stations like "Forest Gold" and sometimes certain programs on radio 4 that I do find interesting. Probably what's happening is the same thing that's happening to TV in that there is too much choice? what with hundreds of channels on the box I find myself watching BBC FOUR in my dotage more and more.
When we had to rush home to watch something on the box before we had video recorders it was different. Funnily enough now that I can watch what I like at anytime of the day or night on the computer/phone/tv I find that I can't be bothered at all. Even in Spain I hardly put the TV on these days as we are out somewhere watching live entertainment in one of the bars.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2023, 06:47 (Ref:4139149)   #83
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Instead of Scott Mills on R2 I find myself drawn to Craig Charles on 6 Music in the afternoons. Sunday travelling back from race tracks is truly dire so I use Sounds through my phone to catch up on Walker or Craig Charles. Very, very occasionally I bother with the F1.

I enjoy Sara Cox's show, but am fed up with Zoe Ball although it's been fun for a couple of weeks with Ooh Gary Davies. As for Vine - pah! I like the experts who know what they're talking about but when the public ring in it's cringe making. 6 Music more and more these days.

Old 7 Jan 2023, 07:43 (Ref:4139152)   #84
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Instead of Scott Mills on R2 I find myself drawn to Craig Charles on 6 Music in the afternoons. Sunday travelling back from race tracks is truly dire so I use Sounds through my phone to catch up on Walker or Craig Charles. Very, very occasionally I bother with the F1.

I enjoy Sara Cox's show, but am fed up with Zoe Ball although it's been fun for a couple of weeks with Ooh Gary Davies. As for Vine - pah! I like the experts who know what they're talking about but when the public ring in it's cringe making. 6 Music more and more these days.

Absolute Radio for me.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 08:21 (Ref:4139156)   #85
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tend to agree with most of those comments about Radio 2 - especially re Simon Mayo, I thought he was excellent. Other than Ken Bruce I don't listen to much on the radio these days having got heavily into pod casts - history mainly. I must be getting old!
Old 7 Jan 2023, 08:53 (Ref:4139167)   #86
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Planet Rock for me. Zoe Ball wants to listen to Sam Hughes on the week ed and she may learn a bit about presentation.Many other well informed DJ;s and a far better choice for the Steve Wright replacement in the afternoon.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 09:16 (Ref:4139168)   #87
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Planet Rock for me. Zoe Ball wants to listen to Sam Hughes on the week ed and she may learn a bit about presentation.Many other well informed DJ;s and a far better choice for the Steve Wright replacement in the afternoon.
Listening to Sam Hughes on Planet Rock right now. 19th Nervous Breakdown playing.
Dont you love technology
Old 7 Jan 2023, 10:28 (Ref:4139173)   #88
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Dont you love technology
I actually do and especially ALEXA, you can change (in a whim) from classical to rock/pop/book readings/podcasts/set any timings/reminders/ask any questions/put you to sleep/wake you up or just about anything you want (within reason).
When I first heard about them I thought what a load of b****cks, but I have found it perfect for so many things that I would find it hard to be without it now.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 7 Jan 2023, 12:28 (Ref:4139179)   #89
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I actually do and especially ALEXA
Does Sue know about your relationship?
Old 7 Jan 2023, 13:20 (Ref:4139181)   #90
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For an eclectic and rambling wander through the forties, fifties and sixties try Angel Radio. Run by volunteers. No idea what’s coming next.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 14:22 (Ref:4139188)   #91
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Does Sue know about your relationship?
Shhh, I hope she doesn't read this
Old 7 Jan 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4139193)   #92
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I actually do and especially ALEXA, you can change (in a whim) from classical to rock/pop/book readings/podcasts/set any timings/reminders/ask any questions/put you to sleep/wake you up or just about anything you want (within reason).
When I first heard about them I thought what a load of b****cks, but I have found it perfect for so many things that I would find it hard to be without it now.

I was bought Alexa as a present this chrissie. Still trying to find my way round it all but just can't get used to giving a command to a woman and having it carried out!

When my grandson came to visit a couple of days later and I said, out of the blue, Alexa, play some music, and it started without me having to press a switch he was amazed - he'd never come across it before. I was surprised as he's 12 and I thought all kids at that age knew far more about these things than us oldies. He went home saying he was going to spend his christmas money on an Alexa.

Last edited by morninggents; 7 Jan 2023 at 15:22.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4139194)   #93
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://www.facebook.com/AmadaSenior...5329538253743/
Old 7 Jan 2023, 15:38 (Ref:4139195)   #94
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Alexa can be a very useful gadget to have around; however, do be aware that "she" is listening in to your every conversation in "her" earshot, and they are recorded for posterity. A couple of years ago, I was having a conversation with my son in his home where he has a number of those speakers,about certain items, and was somewhat disconcerted the following morning to find emails from Amazon promoting said items, as well as seeing adverts for like items elsewhere!
Old 7 Jan 2023, 15:41 (Ref:4139196)   #95
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I was watching an episode of Pointless the other day (I'm a sucker for quiz shows) and one of the contestants was called Alexa - she did say she was enjoying imagining the chaos that could be caused around the land as Alexander Armstrong asked "Alexa, what's your answer?"

Was discussing whether to attend Autosport which I used to do every few years, but I'd checked and the cost at weekend is £37.50, plus parking, which seems crazy. I used to go on a trade day, which was cheaper, but not sure I could still blag that - probably could...... Then I thought of going to Race Retro which I enjoyed every year, visiting Delta in the outer darkness, but I see that's now up to £27 - which seems a lot for a show that only takes a couple of hours to get round.......

I might pay my heating bill instead
Old 7 Jan 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4139197)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm booked for Race Retro on th FRiday, hopefully Delta will be there to make me extend my trip.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 16:02 (Ref:4139198)   #97
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Was discussing whether to attend Autosport which I used to do every few years, but I'd checked and the cost at weekend is £37.50, plus parking
Park in a Railway station at Marston Green or Hampton in Arden, it is free and a return ticket was less than a couple of quid!

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 7 Jan 2023 at 16:31.
Old 7 Jan 2023, 17:32 (Ref:4139203)   #98
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Park in a Railway station at Marston Green or Hampton in Arden, it is free and a return ticket was less than a couple of quid!

Travelled by train before......but with current rail disruption not sure if that's reliable
Old 7 Jan 2023, 17:58 (Ref:4139205)   #99
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
My daughters middle name is Alexis . After my FFord . She does not like it .?. Should be there Pete .
Old 7 Jan 2023, 20:21 (Ref:4139211)   #100
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Alexa can be a very useful gadget to have around; however, do be aware that "she" is listening in to your every conversation in "her" earshot, and they are recorded for posterity. A couple of years ago, I was having a conversation with my son in his home where he has a number of those speakers,about certain items, and was somewhat disconcerted the following morning to find emails from Amazon promoting said items, as well as seeing adverts for like items elsewhere!
Your phone is just as bad. We play a game and see what we can get as advertising based on our conversation!