Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jan 2023, 02:25 (Ref:4141358)   #501
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What connects these three pairs of drivers?

Damon and Graham Hill;
Jackie Oliver and Tom Pryce;
Danny Ongais and Ted Field;
Old 27 Jan 2023, 05:01 (Ref:4141363)   #502
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post

Damon and Graham Hill;
One of each pair raced a car owned by the other?
Old 27 Jan 2023, 05:06 (Ref:4141364)   #503
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Damon and Graham Hill;

Just to add for clarity that the connection covers their entire careers in all categories
Old 27 Jan 2023, 05:08 (Ref:4141365)   #504
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
One of each pair raced a car owned by the other?
Not that I am aware of and certainly not what was in my mind.

The latter couple also did what the connection is in a rather special / unique way.....
Old 27 Jan 2023, 07:44 (Ref:4141367)   #505
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I thought I was clever here and was going so say that each pair shred the same crash helmet design, but a quick google search showed me that apart from 'The Hills', they didn't!
Old 27 Jan 2023, 07:54 (Ref:4141368)   #506
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I thought I was clever here and was going so say that each pair shred the same crash helmet design, but a quick google search showed me that apart from 'The Hills', they didn't!
Sort of on the wrong track. Without trying to give too much away, it has a numerical angle
Old 27 Jan 2023, 08:08 (Ref:4141370)   #507
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Sort of on the wrong track. Without trying to give too much away, it has a numerical angle
You mean they are square?
Old 27 Jan 2023, 08:55 (Ref:4141373)   #508
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You mean they are square?
Could be. Or round, (giving nothing away)
Old 27 Jan 2023, 11:41 (Ref:4141390)   #509
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
One of each pair raced a car ......
You started off so well with that part. One of each pair managed to race a car.... all you need to add is something rare they all managed in their careers featuring something rare. The other one of each pair did similar but moreso.

All three pairs ended their careers with the same overall 'achievement', although one pair was particularly unique in the way they achieved it.

Previous comments I have made could also be clues. Maybe its square (ish) maybe its round or oval, it means nothing.

Plus its numerical
Old 27 Jan 2023, 13:04 (Ref:4141405)   #510
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm going to take a punt here without looking anything up...

Did they all race with the number 0 at some point in their careers?
Old 27 Jan 2023, 14:13 (Ref:4141413)   #511
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I'm going to take a punt here without looking anything up...

Did they all race with the number 0 at some point in their careers?
Yay, we are getting there.....

Not all of them drove #0..... the first named drivers all drove with the #0. But what did the second named manage?
Old 27 Jan 2023, 16:18 (Ref:4141428)   #512
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Interscope 935 ran as 0, 00 & 01 at various times so could the 2nd driver be where the 1 comes from.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 17:05 (Ref:4141437)   #513
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
The Interscope 935 ran as 0, 00 & 01 at various times so could the 2nd driver be where the 1 comes from.
You are almost there.

We already have that the first drivers of the pairings ran as #0 at some stage of their careers....

....and looking at Graham Hill's entry when he ran a Rover BRM at Le Mans in 1963 might offer a clue at to what the 2nd drivers of each pairing did?
Old 27 Jan 2023, 17:55 (Ref:4141444)   #514
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The hHill/Ginther Rover BRM ran as 00 at Le Mans and was demonstrated at Silverstone as 00. So Damon ran as 0 & Graham as 00.

Jackie Oliver ran as 0 in the Interscope F5000 and as 101 in the UOP shadow Can Am car, can not think where Tom Pryce comes in to this!
Old 27 Jan 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4141446)   #515
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
The hHill/Ginther Rover BRM ran as 00 at Le Mans and was demonstrated at Silverstone as 00. So Damon ran as 0 & Graham as 00.

Jackie Oliver ran as 0 in the Interscope F5000 and as 101 in the UOP shadow Can Am car, can not think where Tom Pryce comes in to this!
You might want to look at the Phoenix Racing Shadow-Dodge entry at the 1975 Long Beach GP for F5000.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 18:18 (Ref:4141448)   #516
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
I thought those 2 white rings with red centres was some sort of UOP advertising not a number.
Old 27 Jan 2023, 18:51 (Ref:4141450)   #517
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
So we have the Hill's as Son (#0) and Father (#00) running the numbers

Oliver and Pryce running #0 and #00 respectively as Shadow Team mates in US F5000.

That leaves Ongais and Field being the quirkiest, having on numerous occasions run as co-drivers in Porsche 934's and 935's (plus a 911 I think) as both #0 and #00.

In fact I think in 1979 they won the Daytona 24hr in a 935 together running as #0, then a month later put an extra 0 on the 935 and ran as #00 at the Sebring 12hr.

Interestingly, and I know not the reason, but I notice Ongais and Field regularly double entered the major races as both #0 and #00, leaving one entry as a DNS but running the other number.

Maybe your question Bob, as you worked through it more than Graham, who by his own admission 'took a punt'.... and also asked the previous question .
Old 28 Jan 2023, 08:44 (Ref:4141503)   #518
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
OK, as long as Graeme is not offended as he had the right idea.

Of all the drivers to have qualified for a GP who had the shortest ever career, who what and where for the 2 choices on this one.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 09:18 (Ref:4141506)   #519
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So Graham didn't just look like Dick Dastardly, he also raced with his number! Just as well he didn't cheat like him too!
Old 28 Jan 2023, 09:32 (Ref:4141507)   #520
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Of all the drivers to have qualified for a GP who had the shortest ever career, who what and where for the 2 choices on this one.
Initially I believed it was 'the other one' who had that honour, but then the www corrected me when it appeared.
I was reading an article about the one it is, about his F3000 record, only yesterday so wont spoil the fun for others.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 10:02 (Ref:4141510)   #521
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Ernst Loof - 6 and a half feet - 1953 German Grand Prix.
Marco Apicella - 800 metres - 1993 Italian Grand Prix.
Old 28 Jan 2023, 12:26 (Ref:4141517)   #522
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
Well it is over to Chris or CRM for the next question.

Some reports say that Ernst Loof did not start the race as his car failed before he reached the start line.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 08:16 (Ref:4142192)   #523
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
OK - quick question:

After the 1954 German Grand Prix came 18.52. What record was set after the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix?
Old 30 Jan 2023, 13:07 (Ref:4142209)   #524
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
OK - quick question:

After the 1954 German Grand Prix came 18.52. What record was set after the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix?
The only record for 2013 that I am aware of was Vettel winning the championship by a record 155 points, which was the margin after the Brazilian GP. (He previously AFAIK held the record at 122 with his lead over Button at the end of 2011.

In 2013 he increased his championship lead every race from Germany onwards.... at the end of the German GP his lead was 34 points. From Belgium on he scored 9 consecutive wins to end the season as mentioned 155 points ahead of Alonso.

He then DNF'd the first race of 2014.
Old 30 Jan 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4142213)   #525
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The only record for 2013 that I am aware of was Vettel winning the championship by a record 155 points, which was the margin after the Brazilian GP. (He previously AFAIK held the record at 122 with his lead over Button at the end of 2011.

In 2013 he increased his championship lead every race from Germany onwards.... at the end of the German GP his lead was 34 points. From Belgium on he scored 9 consecutive wins to end the season as mentioned 155 points ahead of Alonso.

He then DNF'd the first race of 2014.
Yes - all correct.

At the 1954 British GP, 7 drivers all shared fastest lap and split the single point between them. Half points were also awarded at the Belgian Grand Prix to Mike Hawthorn and José Froilán González.
So, when it came to the conclusion of the German Grand Prix, Fangio led the Drivers Championship by 18.52 points which was the largest margin ever at the time.

With his ninth successive victory at the 2013 Brazilian Grand Prix, Sebastian Vettel set a new record for the largest points lead in Formula 1 history, ending the season with a 155 point advantage.