Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 10 Mar 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4146638)   #2801
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quite a challenge again Graham! By the way, RE made lawnmowers… https://www.royalenfield.org.uk/photos/lawn-mowers/
Old 17 Mar 2023, 08:52 (Ref:4147380)   #2802
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Warm day yesterday, so decidied to stasrt the Lola up.
Bit early as the fist meeting is about 5 weeks away (Prescott) but...
You never know.
It was a year ago when i was in the gloom of this engine's ignition system, and if I have a problem, maybe time to sort it out. In October I pulled the 12 plugs to check all were alive, which they were, so with 2 fresh gallons of Shell's 99 octane, churned the engine over to get some fresh oil in all the arteries, and kaboom. off it went on all 6 pots just like all of last season!

Good start, literally, and ran it till warm. Nearly 4 bar oil pressure cold on tick over dropped to 2.5 when hot, a good reading on an early 911 engine.

Enthused somewhat, cleaned the res of the winter dust off the tub and the front end and WD40 whetted the aluminium.

Only needs a clean and waxx to the body, some air in the flat slicks and race numbers and we are off!

tool to take screen snapshot
Old 17 Mar 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4147400)   #2803
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911thillclimber View Post
Ha! Yes, always a tease on these projects. Others who do them never have problems, just me it seems.
Not convinced I have it right even now, but I am the World's Leading Expert on rapid Sturmey Archer 4 speed epicyclic gear hub strip-down.

I've just bout a 1938 Royal Enfield bicycle to do in the summer....
Sturmey Archer? What a daft (British) invention. Never, ever, got them to work properly as a kid. Hated them. Always wanted a bike with derailleur gears like all the posh kids had! A good French invention!!
Old 17 Mar 2023, 16:29 (Ref:4147478)   #2804
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They are indeed a mystery when opened up!
On a 4 speed, 2 sets of drive pawls, one set for 1/2nd, and other for 3/4th.

I have another 'cross-over' bike with Shimano 6 speed enclosed hub gear and it is like silk, but at least 50 years between them....

My 'new' Royal Enfield has one single speed, so pleased!
Old 18 Mar 2023, 15:24 (Ref:4147771)   #2805
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Always wanted a bike with derailleur gears like all the posh kids had! A good French invention!!
And guillotine too.
Old 19 Mar 2023, 10:09 (Ref:4148261)   #2806
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
And guillotine too.
And the Umbrella
Old 5 Apr 2023, 15:29 (Ref:4150519)   #2807
911thillclimber
Veteran

As I wait impatiently for the first event, 22/23 April at Prescott, I thought my trailer needed some TLC...
The Brian James A Sport has never been serviced, just the draw bar greased.
It tows a treat behind the Skoda Superb tow car, but last year the braking seemed to be weak, so that is where my TLC started...

As ever, I never have simple problems.

Removed the 4 wheels and started to adjust the shoes through a 10mm hole blind at the back of the backing plate.

Could not get the first to adjust, so removed the drum to see how the system (AL-KO) worked.
Drum came off easy quickly followed by both brake linings that has detached from thier shoes!
Did the same to the next brake, one 1/2 of one shoe lining dripped off, other brake was ok, last one the linings came off with my thumb nail.

Original brakes in a dreadful state, and 14 years old.

Eventually got 4 sets of brake shoes, real AL-KO parts (a story in itself) for a huge £140!

Should have the lot back together and road tested by tomorrow afternoon.

So pleased to have checked this lot, heard of linings coming off but only on very old brakes (ie over 40 years old).

Got away with it this time!

Last weekend went to see Mike Luck's new car in my class, the Zolfe GT at Prescott, but he had withdrawn the entry.
The details I have found on the car looks to be a bit of a worry!

700Kg, 250 or more bhp.

https://th.bing.com/th/id/R.b7d68ee2...pid=ImgRaw&r=0
Old 5 Apr 2023, 16:25 (Ref:4150526)   #2808
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Must admit, that I had never even heard of a Zolfe and had to google it.
Another in the long line of British niche car “manufacturers” that never really made it, despite Jez Coates (ex Caterham tech director) involvement.
It sort of looks like a cross between a 1970s TVR 3000M and a Ginetta G10 (?). I have no doubt it will go well, but would have thought that a proper sports racing car with a Porsche motivation should have the legs on it!
Old 5 Apr 2023, 16:40 (Ref:4150530)   #2809
911thillclimber
Veteran

It was an unknown car to me too until Mike told me all about it. Mike is/was very close to all things TVR and knew of this Zolfe locally.

I think 30 were built, and his has a very hot Duratec 2.3 in it, possibly the press car.

Power to weight will be worse than mine, but Mike's driving talent is FAR superior!
He has won a lot of big circuit race series, notably in Mallock Clubmans cars.

Time will tell...
Old 5 Apr 2023, 16:44 (Ref:4150531)   #2810
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Yes, I do vaguely remember Mike Luck in Clubmans cars. Phantoms mostly, I think, and he built his own Dart version. Now, if he was in a Clubmans car against you, I think you might be in real trouble!
Old 12 Apr 2023, 08:29 (Ref:4151173)   #2811
911thillclimber
Veteran

10 days to go to the season start.
After a teasing time with my old trailer not servicing it ever in my ownership finally caught up with me, and new brakes required. Of the 8 brake shoes (drum brakes) 5 had completely detached off the steel backing shoe and 1 other disintegrated.

One show was ok, biy the lining came off using my thumb nail...

£140 later and all is well and road tested.

The car will get it's annual polish today and a few other details and we are ready.

This has felt a very long wait indeed as I've only done 2 very light projects this winter, unusual for me.
Old 19 Apr 2023, 15:17 (Ref:4152194)   #2812
911thillclimber
Veteran

Prescott this weekend, wet and horrid it seems if the BBC Weather is correct.
The trailer field will be like a bog, and the paddock a little less so.

Just 4 in the Class, a full spec NORMA with Honda Z tec, me, the 2 pilots of the V8 Chevy Pilbeam.

I only have slicks and a fear of crunching the car...

However, just might take 2nd in class. No Mike luck in the Zolfe GT. (phew)

Entry for Shelsley just arrived.
I'm the only one in the Class, looks like Mike is still not ready.

Not a good start for the year.

I think Prescott might be on Live Stream/ Youtube.

Old 19 Apr 2023, 15:42 (Ref:4152202)   #2813
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Graham, I use Ventusky for weather because it appears to be accurate at least 90-95% even to the timing, and it is currently showing that Prescott should be dry during the daytime over the weekend. However, Friday does seem to be having some hours of rain, but dry overnight into Saturday.

Whatever, wish you well.
Old 20 Apr 2023, 17:49 (Ref:4152288)   #2814
911thillclimber
Veteran

Seems like tomorrow (take the car down to Prescott) is going to be wet.
Saturday good chance of dry.
Sunday good chance of wet!

That is according to Ventusky.
BBC seems the same, but all could move by +/- 24 hours!

I'm counting points already...

Prescott has 4 in class, 4th is 2 points, 2nd is 6, that's worst/best positions.
Shelsley is simple, 1 in class so 1 point!

This car is not good in the wet.

http://www.zipp.co.uk/gallery/Presco...pg.html#scroll
Old 22 Apr 2023, 17:55 (Ref:4152508)   #2815
911thillclimber
Veteran

Saturday and lots happening.

First event for us and the first time i've sat in the Lola since end of September last year.
Mike Luck squeezed into the event so the class was busy.

First runs were poor for everyone as the hill was only just clear of dense mist and started an hour late.

My visor steamed up as the hill progressed...

Anyway, 2nd and 3rd practice went well as the trak was @ 10Deg C but now dry.

Finished up fastest in the class in practice, but there is a wet wet wet tomorrow to come.

Mike had a tricky time in the Zolfe, new car and new to him so he will improve greatly and quickly.

The Norma is fantastic, what a car, what preparation. I'm sure he will be on top tomorrow.

For other reasons had this pic taken by Mike, but a bit different.

pc screenshot
Old 23 Apr 2023, 18:10 (Ref:4152670)   #2816
911thillclimber
Veteran

The BBC weather report was totally wrong, the day was damp to start with and dry from around 11am when the competitive runs started.

We had a good day, 2nd in the class of 6 and far closer to the fab Norma M20 on both runs.
Slightly disappointing as if I had produced my pb set last year (in far warmer conditions( I would have won both times, but I'm a year older too.

Of the class just Mike Luck and I were there for our championship so good points accrued.

I'm told there is a good live stream of the day on YouTube, I was car #107.

Shelsley Walsh in 2 weeks time, just about time to dry the car.
There was torrential rain just as the meeting closed!
Old 23 Apr 2023, 19:32 (Ref:4152683)   #2817
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have found that the BBC forecasting to now be possibly the least accurate since they didn't renew the contract with the Met Office. And it's almost as if they acknowledge that as a fact because they still use the Met Office to provide their Weather Alerts rather than rely on their current weather contractor.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 14:00 (Ref:4152782)   #2818
911thillclimber
Veteran

I think you are right Mike.

The tyre suppliers, BMTR were at the event Saturday, and said their 'radar' showed rain at 6.00pm on Sat, dry all Sunday to 6pm.

Monsoons dropped at 6.00pm both days...

Car all cleaned and bar the seat base dry and ready for Shelsley 6/7 May with just Mike and I in the class.

Will have 12 points from Prescott, so a nice start.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 14:04 (Ref:4152783)   #2819
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Too many Mikes!
Old 24 Apr 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4152794)   #2820
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You had a couple of tidy runs on Sunday, being just 1.5 seccs slower than the Norma was impressive and 2nd in that class was none to shabby.
Old 24 Apr 2023, 17:44 (Ref:4152824)   #2821
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Depending on the location of your race but if the Beeb is no more accurate as Mike says, may be you can find an airfield nearby and ask for the last weather report. Most of time its free and accurate. In France we call that "demander la dernière". I suppose Mike does know what I'm talking about.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4152890)   #2822
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't want to predict the weather. I wouldn't worry about it too much, just have to check on the day and see what's what. It probably is a good idea to have someone local tell you. It seems to work in France by the sounds of it. It all makes sense
Old 25 Apr 2023, 11:33 (Ref:4152915)   #2823
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
And reading the future out of coffee grounds while we are here…
Old 25 Apr 2023, 15:14 (Ref:4152964)   #2824
911thillclimber
Veteran

Ha!, and yes, find a local farmer, much better.

The weather counts as I only have slicks and all around me have cut wets and more.

I really wanted to pace myself against the Norma.
That car is something to look at (inspect). He had the rear body off a few times while his people pointed and poked at the single damper at the rear, it is all 'New School' in there and makes my 1978 Lola very very Old School...

It was a great chase and I'm pleased to be reasonably close to him.

Looking closely at his best run v my best run his key playing card was shear acceleration on the 'straight' bits of Prescott that are there, but rather short, and good brakes too.

With more straight he would have been miles away.

The Zolfe GT of Mike Luck needs some tuning, but Mike knows that and will be soon on the pace, hence these early points are gold.

Here is our class for you from the excellent Live Stream on youTube:

https://youtu.be/zO8YLbVi6IU?t=17130

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 25 Apr 2023 at 15:26.
Old 25 Apr 2023, 18:23 (Ref:4152986)   #2825
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great to get some good points onboard given your pre weekend weather thoughts and your lack of wets. Certainly fortunate it did not turn out wet when your runs were due.

That Norma is quite something. A very purposeful looking bit of kit with no doubt plenty of downforce. Interested to know what engine / power it has.

Looks like you are going to have a challenging year with the Zolfe GT sure to be quick when sorted, and the Norma already a known quantity.

The Lola sounds the best though! Glorious noise.