Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 31 May 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4158933)   #751
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Frankly I determine there are a few big nuts on this thread.
The ones that hold things together or the ones you eat
Old 31 May 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4158935)   #752
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neither
Old 31 May 2023, 10:30 (Ref:4158936)   #753
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found this rather hidden away video on YouTube, its a full 45 Mins onboard of a Porsche 962 winning the first of this years Group C races at Spa Classic.

https://youtu.be/-us0-yJOJe4
Old 31 May 2023, 16:09 (Ref:4158988)   #754
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
Found this rather hidden away video on YouTube, its a full 45 Mins onboard of a Porsche 962 winning the first of this years Group C races at Spa Classic.

https://youtu.be/-us0-yJOJe4
Good find Will, that's some ride!
Old 1 Jun 2023, 21:51 (Ref:4159199)   #755
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
We have a fair amount of wildlife down here in Spain and we often get the Hoopoe birds on the lawn by the swimming pool after the ants. A good friend of mine who takes amazing photographs "snapped" this one the other day.
Sorry it isn't motorsport related but this is the T Break Thread
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colin Wheeler.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	77197
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jun 2023, 04:36 (Ref:4159213)   #756
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
We have a fair amount of wildlife down here in Spain and we often get the Hoopoe birds on the lawn by the swimming pool after the ants. A good friend of mine who takes amazing photographs "snapped" this one the other day.
Sorry it isn't motorsport related but this is the T Break Thread
Attachment 77197
That's amazing, Gordon! No need to apologise.

Much better than my attempts to capture a sparrow hawk going for the kill on a pigeon in my garden recently - until he spotted two cats stalking him!

I've also got a pair of buzzards that live close by & regularly swoop & swirl overhead. Isn't ;ife in the country wonderful (unless you're a pigeon..)?
Old 2 Jun 2023, 07:50 (Ref:4159248)   #757
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Fantastic photo Gordon
Old 2 Jun 2023, 11:20 (Ref:4159298)   #758
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
That's amazing, Gordon! No need to apologise.

Much better than my attempts to capture a sparrow hawk going for the kill on a pigeon in my garden recently - until he spotted two cats stalking him!

I've also got a pair of buzzards that live close by & regularly swoop & swirl overhead. Isn't ;ife in the country wonderful (unless you're a pigeon..)?
We have several Buzzards in the area , and they like cars .
When they see their favourite one the shout out to each other " KIA KIA ".
Old 2 Jun 2023, 11:55 (Ref:4159304)   #759
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
When I lived in Spain, I lived at the top of a hill overlooking a "valley" of scrubland with a forest on the other side of the valley. This forest was important to the area for both the animals and birds that occupied it but also as an important absorber of rainfall.

Often when looking out over this scrubland I used to see different types of raptors including golden eagles all circling above the area searching for prey. These all nested and lived in this forest.

However, due to the lawlessness of our local town hall, firstly a local farmer/landowner completely cleared the scrubland which drove all the rabbits, hares and ground nesting birds away as they no longer had any cover from birds looking for food. And then to compound the fact that the birds of prey lost a ready source of food, the town hall, illegally, permitted a developer to cut down a huge portion of the forest to build a new urbanisation.

Even though the police department responsible for monitoring these land grabs stopped the developers from cutting down the trees twice to my knowledge, the developers just carried on the destruction in the dark of the night and by then it was just too late, it was gone. And so were the birds of prey, never to return.
Old 2 Jun 2023, 12:16 (Ref:4159305)   #760
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel 911S View Post
We have several Buzzards in the area , and they like cars .
When they see their favourite one the shout out to each other " KIA KIA ".
There's a turtle dove here that attempts to read out the football results but only ever gets as far as "Glasgow - six".
Old 2 Jun 2023, 12:47 (Ref:4159311)   #761
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's a turtle dove here that attempts to read out the football results but only ever gets as far as "Glasgow - six".
Had to check that one out , and I think you are right https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/turtle-dove/

And this should be the buzzard
.https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/buzzard/

Collard Dove one is better
Old 2 Jun 2023, 12:49 (Ref:4159314)   #762
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Had to check that one out , and I think you are right https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/collared-dove/

Old 2 Jun 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4159324)   #763
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Had to check that one out , and I think you are right https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/collared-dove/

That buzzard sounds exactly right!
Old 2 Jun 2023, 14:54 (Ref:4159339)   #764
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Carrying on the theme of the noises birds make, we discovered on our first ever visit to Northumberland last year that the Eider Duck is the most sarcastic sounding bird of all: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=225977769137418
Old 2 Jun 2023, 18:15 (Ref:4159365)   #765
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
the Eider Duck is the most sarcastic sounding bird of all
Depending on who is watching them… That's why we keep all the Chroicocephalus ridibundus for our private use. Could not find a proper link to listen to and mine is stuck in the bathroom!
Old 2 Jun 2023, 20:15 (Ref:4159384)   #766
Tel 911S
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Depending on who is watching them… That's why we keep all the Chroicocephalus ridibundus for our private use. Could not find a proper link to listen to and mine is stuck in the bathroom!

Try this one .https://www.british-birdsongs.uk/black-headed-gull/
Old 2 Jun 2023, 20:19 (Ref:4159386)   #767
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
That! Thanks Tel, great link.
Old 3 Jun 2023, 07:48 (Ref:4159453)   #768
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's now easier to recognise bird songs in the background on the telly thanks to that website!
Old 4 Jun 2023, 19:51 (Ref:4159835)   #769
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Back on racing related comment, I went to Oulton Park yesterday to watch the Alfa racing championship - despite the event being publicised as the BMW Sommerfest...

Some good racing, but in the 2-hour Tegiwa Club Enduro race there were some horrendous clerking/marshalling decisions, in a 50-lap race of which around 16 were run under at least 5 Safety Car periods.

We were watching overlooking Cascades, and at one point were shocked to see one of the circuit 4wd fire tender pickups travel down from Hill Top, through the Knicker Brook complex and disappear up Clay Hill, with blue flashing lights on, but on a live track and with no flag signals that we could see. Apparently a Ginetta on fire near Druids......but a service vehicle on a live track ?

Then after a car went off at Cascades we had the frightening instance of one of Hi-Ab recovery trucks being released from the Cascades holding area onto again a live track (which involves the truck doing a U-turn onto the circuit from the service road) whilst competitors were coming down Dentons.....Safety Car wasn't flagged for quite some time after this! There might have been a white flag shown at Dentons marshal point, but truck shouldn't have been on track until SC was active.
Old 4 Jun 2023, 23:02 (Ref:4159896)   #770
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Back on racing related comment, I went to Oulton Park yesterday to watch the Alfa racing championship - despite the event being publicised as the BMW Sommerfest...

Some good racing, but in the 2-hour Tegiwa Club Enduro race there were some horrendous clerking/marshalling decisions, in a 50-lap race of which around 16 were run under at least 5 Safety Car periods.

We were watching overlooking Cascades, and at one point were shocked to see one of the circuit 4wd fire tender pickups travel down from Hill Top, through the Knicker Brook complex and disappear up Clay Hill, with blue flashing lights on, but on a live track and with no flag signals that we could see. Apparently a Ginetta on fire near Druids......but a service vehicle on a live track ?

Then after a car went off at Cascades we had the frightening instance of one of Hi-Ab recovery trucks being released from the Cascades holding area onto again a live track (which involves the truck doing a U-turn onto the circuit from the service road) whilst competitors were coming down Dentons.....Safety Car wasn't flagged for quite some time after this! There might have been a white flag shown at Dentons marshal point, but truck shouldn't have been on track until SC was active.
H&S and nanny state taking over. Racing on the continent you see this all the time, just a white flag (that's what they're for) and expect fire tender / fast response 4x4 pickup / flatbed recovery etc and guess what, everyone knows the rules and expects the unexpected so to speak and avoids them.
Old 5 Jun 2023, 00:54 (Ref:4159901)   #771
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
H&S and nanny state taking over. Racing on the continent you see this all the time, just a white flag (that's what they're for) and expect fire tender / fast response 4x4 pickup / flatbed recovery etc and guess what, everyone knows the rules and expects the unexpected so to speak and avoids them.

First time I've been accused of snowflake tendencies.....

It may be the norm on the continent, but I've never seen an instance like this in the 50+ years I've been spectating or the 15 or so years of racing....There were several instances of the white flag being shown during the day, but typically for a slow-moving competitor - which is a bit different from a 7.5 tonner doing a U-turn in front of you......
Old 5 Jun 2023, 09:27 (Ref:4159966)   #772
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
First time I've been accused of snowflake tendencies.....

It may be the norm on the continent, but I've never seen an instance like this in the 50+ years I've been spectating or the 15 or so years of racing....There were several instances of the white flag being shown during the day, but typically for a slow-moving competitor - which is a bit different from a 7.5 tonner doing a U-turn in front of you......
I understand your point, but yes, the white can be used for rescue vehicles. I can't remember the last time I saw it used for an actual competitor, but it may have been more recent than I think. Although what you described about the 7.5 tonner does sound a bit frightening
Old 5 Jun 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4159991)   #773
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:

It was such an incident that claimed the life of Rob Slotemaker at Zandvoort in 1979, if I recall. He & a fellow competitor came over a brow neck & neck, only to be confronted by a doctor's car parked on the racing line as the doctor attended an accident.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 15:24 (Ref:4160229)   #774
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've just renewed my car insurance for another, but not before I had used all the comparison sites to compare the prices. I can only assume, and I know that that can be dangerous, but insurance companies must rely on a huge number of their customers not checking around to see what's available because when I did, I found the same cover for £200.00 cheaper from a competitor which is a well known provider.

Then, speaking to my current insurer, the were very quickly able to the beat the rival company, although by only £10.00. It actually miffs me somewhat how much I still have to pay considering I haven't made a claim since at least the late 1960s, but I suppose none of us can know what is around the corner. Mind you, good thing that I never told my clients in my financial services career what a waste of money it was.
Old 6 Jun 2023, 17:16 (Ref:4160257)   #775
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I once got a substantially cheaper price with my existing company through a price comparison site. I had to jump through the hoops of becoming a new customer, they wouldn't just renew at the price comparison site rate. I had to ask my existing company for proof of my NCD and send it to my new insurer, which if course was.my existing company. *sigh*

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk