Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 May 2023, 12:53 (Ref:4158841)   #26
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Haven't been to this for over a decade due to calendar clashes but, with my original racing plan for Sunday cancelled, I decided to give it a look. Glad I did, as it was an enjoyable day out.

As others have said, entries were a little thin in some classes. Had been hoping for a few more entries in the Sport Cars, but as there was an M1B out there I could forgive the quantity! Pre-66 race was great, the whole field looked really well presented and the gaggle of Cortina's fighting for third were great to watch. F1 cars sounded immense.

Although they didn't have the numbers, the cars in the Endurance class made it one of the highlights of the day for me. Shame that we only got one 90x in the second race, but was still superb to see LMP1 cars on the GP loop. If the respective class numbers remain low then maybe running the Endurance and GT cars together could make things interesting?

Glad I stayed on for the last race as well, felt so sorry for the leader chucking the win away on the last lap.
Old 31 May 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4159005)   #27
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gerry Marshall trophy was a massive highlight to a fabulous weekends racing, I hope they come again, it would also be fabulous to add some Gp2 and Gp5 cars in some way.
Old 31 May 2023, 18:20 (Ref:4159006)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I disagree with part of your post, adding group 2 and group 5 cars would result in the Group 1s disappearing. Look at the MRL Tony Dron Trophy. That said, Sunday's race was extremely good.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 09:52 (Ref:4159086)   #29
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Although they didn't have the numbers, the cars in the Endurance class made it one of the highlights of the day for me. Shame that we only got one 90x in the second race, but was still superb to see LMP1 cars on the GP loop.
Agreed - since the fences went up around the loop I don't really go out there as much but I did take the walk to go and see the LMP1 cars stretch their legs. Very impressive and they were the real highlight of the day for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
If the respective class numbers remain low then maybe running the Endurance and GT cars together could make things interesting?
I thought about that too - but the concern would be the closing speeds between the LMP1 cars and the GT4 cars. A step too far I think. It'd make sense to put the GT3 cars (or car at Brands) out with the other GTs rather than with the prototypes but that would further dilute the grid of the Endurance Legends.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 18:46 (Ref:4159168)   #30
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I disagree with part of your post, adding group 2 and group 5 cars would result in the Group 1s disappearing. Look at the MRL Tony Dron Trophy. That said, Sunday's race was extremely good.
I didn’t mean to add them to the Gp.1/1.5’s, I was thinking more along the lines that it would be great to see some racing in some way at the Masters Festival.
Old 1 Jun 2023, 18:59 (Ref:4159171)   #31
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well they had the chance but rejected them a few years ago. Hence MRL Touring Cars.
Old 2 Jun 2023, 08:05 (Ref:4159250)   #32
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a fabulous weekend, especially enjoyed the Formula One, Gentleman Drivers and saloons. Didn't mind some other races having smaller grids as I spent time in the paddock and garages - lots to see and great folk to chat to.
Like Peter, I found the fences a bit annoying for photos, a few are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3378.JPG   DSCN3452.JPG   DSCN3453.JPG  

P1660328.jpg   P1660346.jpg   P1660847.jpg  

Old 2 Jun 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4159265)   #33
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good stuff.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 08:33 (Ref:4160658)   #34
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Smith View Post
Like Peter, I found the fences a bit annoying for photos, a few are attached.
I have moaned about it several times in the past, but the high fencing has ruined the GP circuit. Safety is obviously important, but what they have done is overkill.

Took a few pictures at Hawthorns and inside Druids, few faves...

...and a few more here:

Flickr - Masters Historic Festival 2023
Old 8 Jun 2023, 10:08 (Ref:4160668)   #35
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite frankly for whatever reason(competing events, etc), the whole masters festival is but a shadow of former years and as for the fencing....
Having said that the F!'s were really good this year as were the saloons but where have all the glorious sports and endurance cars disappeared to?
Old 8 Jun 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4160671)   #36
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Quite frankly for whatever reason(competing events, etc), the whole masters festival is but a shadow of former years and as for the fencing....
Last time I went was 2008 and, as far as I can recall, the entry was better this time around (as was the weather!). Guess the numbers have risen and then fallen in the interim?

I had been hoping for a couple more Can-Am cars in the Sports class and some older machinery in Endurance. Still enough interesting cars to make me feel like it was a worthwhile trip to Brands though.
Old 8 Jun 2023, 10:24 (Ref:4160673)   #37
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Having said that the F!'s were really good this year as were the saloons but where have all the glorious sports and endurance cars disappeared to?
I looked at the programme 2010 and it was just sad looking at how incredible the event was when they'd have separate grids for smaller and bigger Gts and Sportscars. I'd say the event being every year has lessened the appeal of the circuit. Less people travel from Europe and a lot of British based drivers run with Peter Auto.

Heard so many drivers go on about how good the track was yet the grids don't show it which is perplexing