Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Jul 2024, 01:02 (Ref:4220309)   #826
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It was a decent one, but small. Still, I’ll take the accusation of being nice, doesn’t always happen round here.

Do you need an airbag?

That possibly gets into my price range. It is just to experience it and actually don’t want anything too special.

I’m not buying it for proper reasons like you. So I worry I’m just a fraud and will be laughed at. Although it would get used. Basically it is so I can pretend to be American I recon it’s a 40% chance it happens. I enjoy looking. I’m ignorant and am also worried I lose the innocence. I might be oh that is an early series 1 with the 3.8 and flat floor, but here I’m just ooo, look a truck

I’d kinda just kept to F-150. Ignorance is bliss. This still looks old and fun. I might expand the search.

I don’t think the age is an issue. I’d wondered about putting it on vintage plates, but I’m partial to driving to work in it and using it more regularly so maybe I just go a little newer. As long as it still looks old ish.
That is a good philosophy.

I wonder if after all these years some examples are now fully sorted. All bits that brake have been replaced. Although quality of replacement parts on classics aren’t always up to scratch
Man, I don't need a truck that tows 12,000 lbs. Ever. But I have one, so I'm larping too.

I think I understand the experience you are looking for and the newest truck that would deliver that is an Aeronose. That's an old school truck underneath, none of this coil spring nonsense. The Bricknose might be even cheaper. GM and Dodge started to change in the late 80s and early 90s but Ford held out until 97 when they all switched to space trucks.

Yes, stay away from the fake Essex V6. It's not unreliable, it's just wheezy. A 300 strait six or a 302/351 Windsor are your options and they're all good. It's not my favorite engine of all time, but nothing sounds better than a small block Ford.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 01:21 (Ref:4220310)   #827
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

And I won’t be doing 7,500 miles in 4 months in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Mine went over 1500 today, picked up June 30 2023 so I'm gonna set a mileage record for a Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
7500 miles in 4 months???

I am almost to 20k in 31 months!
I'm not happy about it either! It's a catch 22 because I wanted a new truck because I spend an immense amount of time in it, but that's far too many miles on the bank's truck. I'm on pace for 28-30k miles but if I can put 3 days a week commute on another vehicle, I'd save 10-11k miles. So in the complete opposite move of Adam, I have been looking at Fiesta STs. But would I drive it? Trucks are so comfortable. Maybe a 30 year old LS400 or Buick Roadmaster is what the doctor ordered?
Old 23 Jul 2024, 02:15 (Ref:4220312)   #828
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I'm not happy about it either! It's a catch 22 because I wanted a new truck because I spend an immense amount of time in it, but that's far too many miles on the bank's truck. I'm on pace for 28-30k miles but if I can put 3 days a week commute on another vehicle, I'd save 10-11k miles. So in the complete opposite move of Adam, I have been looking at Fiesta STs. But would I drive it? Trucks are so comfortable. Maybe a 30 year old LS400 or Buick Roadmaster is what the doctor ordered?
Roadmaster for sure.

The first year I had my previous 3 I put 40k on it. Had a 140 mile round trip commute in Michigan. It might take me 5 years to reach that mileage on this 3.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 08:11 (Ref:4220326)   #829
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have been looking at Fiesta STs. But would I drive it? Trucks are so comfortable. Maybe a 30 year old LS400 or Buick Roadmaster is what the doctor ordered?
If a Roadmaster is what the doctor ordered it means you're… Rainman! As to go for a Fiesta in your region and being a great fan of trucks of any sort, lets be serious you'll never go for it! Why not a Yugo or any french crap while you're here?
Old 24 Jul 2024, 00:07 (Ref:4220399)   #830
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
If a Roadmaster is what the doctor ordered it means you're… Rainman! As to go for a Fiesta in your region and being a great fan of trucks of any sort, lets be serious you'll never go for it! Why not a Yugo or any french crap while you're here?
We don't have any French crap! I love Fiestas, it's my favorite rental car of all time and I've wanted an ST for a long time. Also, it will fit in my driveway and I don't think Roadmaster will. I like Subarus too, so maybe a Legacy GT?
Old 24 Jul 2024, 06:27 (Ref:4220420)   #831
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
I think I owned at least one Fiesta of each gen they made, all with a fuel engine (not diesel). The last I had was an Ecoboost but unfortunately its was written off due to a van sending it in a Jeep. I've always been satisfied with any Ford but must admit that the mpg is really poor, Fiesta, Focus or Mondeo. Well, my 3 litre Capri is thirsthy too but it has many good reasons for this!!
Old 24 Jul 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4220445)   #832
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It’s all so confusing.

Obviously I don’t want a V6 from these vintages.

And I won’t be doing 7,500 miles in 4 months in it.

My son's 04 V6 Ranger. It's the 3.0 liter, unfortunately. But it's an "Edge". 86k on it. It's loaded down with firewood so the rear end is sitting down. It has black walls on it now. Needs a modern stereo and a deep clean. Aside that and a few "truck" dents and dings, it's pretty mint.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 14:24 (Ref:4220640)   #833
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My 1992 Honda is in need of some tires. I went to the Firestone shop today and told them the size. The guy just looks up at me and says "what kind of car are these going on?" After some searching he informs me he can't get that exact size but a 195 width is available and shouldn't be much of a difference compared to the 185's currently on there.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 15:58 (Ref:4220645)   #834
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Depending on the size of the wall it could change the final ratio. May be this will help you? https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Old 26 Jul 2024, 16:04 (Ref:4220646)   #835
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The tyre size comparison is very useful when it comes to classic racing cars. Many sizes/makes are no more avalaible and we now look for the same ext diameter/width but in an other int diameter (from 13" to 15" in my case). Capris and Bimmers become a real headache to get new shoes and we have to convince the scrutineers that it's not cheating.
Old 26 Jul 2024, 19:24 (Ref:4220668)   #836
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Depending on the size of the wall it could change the final ratio. May be this will help you? https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Thanks that was helpful. And the chart with the changes in speed was nice. Although my speedometer is not anywhere near that accurate. Off by 10mph at 60mph
Old 26 Jul 2024, 21:06 (Ref:4220674)   #837
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Thanks that was helpful. And the chart with the changes in speed was nice. Although my speedometer is not anywhere near that accurate. Off by 10mph at 60mph
I call bs. I'm assuming its a 185/70/14?
Old 27 Jul 2024, 04:32 (Ref:4220696)   #838
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
It’s all so confusing.
It's not confusing. Can I talk you into a square body?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...et-scottsdale/

It's brown, a stepside, manual, and 4x4 Adam. You'd be so cool.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 04:40 (Ref:4220698)   #839
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s brown and everything.

It says Scottsdale on the dash. That’s good right?
Old 27 Jul 2024, 05:05 (Ref:4220701)   #840
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
The Silverado was the the top level trim, but the Scottsdale sat just below that, making it the thinking man's choice. It's perfect. You should buy it and let me drive it. Then I'll save up money and buy it off you when you're done.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 05:06 (Ref:4220702)   #841
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good plan.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 05:15 (Ref:4220703)   #842
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It’s brown and everything.
It has a bench seat. And a 350. What more do you need?
Old 27 Jul 2024, 12:57 (Ref:4220729)   #843
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I call bs. I'm assuming its a 185/70/14?
yes and I know the tires are available in correct size, just not from Firestone. Tire rack has a few options from General, Laufenn, falken, kumho and toyo
Old 27 Jul 2024, 12:59 (Ref:4220730)   #844
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
It's not confusing. Can I talk you into a square body?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...et-scottsdale/

It's brown, a stepside, manual, and 4x4 Adam. You'd be so cool.
Current bid is only $2200!
Old 27 Jul 2024, 13:24 (Ref:4220733)   #845
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
yes and I know the tires are available in correct size, just not from Firestone. Tire rack has a few options from General, Laufenn, falken, kumho and toyo

I changed to Kumho All Weather tyres a couple of years ago, and must say they aren't bad. The guy that fitted them at home for me, who didn't supply them - he was just contracted by the supplier, who supply various makes - thought that they were very good for their mid-range price. I actually got them cheaper because the supplier cocked up and had originally sold me a budget tyre, but they didn't have them in stock and delivery was months away.
Old 27 Jul 2024, 15:12 (Ref:4220740)   #846
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Off by 10mph at 60mph
This is quite a lot. I remember a car maker agreement saying that road cars odo should show circa + 5 kph at any speed. At least I have it on my Bimmer.

Back in the day I used to put small sticker on the odo screen to show the accurate speed - mainly using either GPS or an ap like Waze.

I have the same thing in my racing cars but only for pit speeds depending on the gearing used and the tire size to achieve 50, 60 or 80 kph. In this case I go for a dedicated calculator.
Old 28 Jul 2024, 04:35 (Ref:4220769)   #847
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Good plan.
Hosed down with all the cool old man ****: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ford-f-250-26/
Old 28 Jul 2024, 13:16 (Ref:4220811)   #848
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Hosed down with all the cool old man ****: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-ford-f-250-26/
I saw that one too. That’s really what I want. $15k and 4hours left.

Nicer listing too. Has videos. Landscape ones.
Old 28 Jul 2024, 16:53 (Ref:4220880)   #849
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
I saw that one too. That’s really what I want. $15k and 4hours left.

Nicer listing too. Has videos. Landscape ones.
Under an hour and same price!

Think how much easier packing for the track would be!
Old 28 Jul 2024, 17:59 (Ref:4220907)   #850
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Did you notice that from the pictures or vids they all look pristine? Some water helps to bring back a shaded paint too. Second hand sellers are smart arses!