Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Jan 2004, 05:40 (Ref:828835)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Michael Schumacher to leave Ferrari?

No, this is'nt another link to some stupid story started by an Italian or British tabloid.

Its a hypothetical.

IMO Michael will serve his time at Ferrari and never go anywhere else. He will also most likely, stay on afterwards as an advisor.

There is no question Michael and Ferrari have enjoyed a successful relationship. Along with that success, an extremely close relationship has developed. Some would say, if MS were Italian he'd be perfect for them.

My question if you like, is should McLaren, Williams or some other superbudget team got their heart set on him, could they?

Frank has said many time he would love to have, but is'nt prepared to pay the asked fee. I dare say Ron would be similar. But if a new major sponsor said they wanted him, and would pay whatever was asked, could they get him?

Would he go if offered enough $$$?

Note : this thread has nothing to do with team orders.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 06:31 (Ref:828851)   #2
dangeradam
Rookie

dangeradam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the only people with the cash to get him at this stage of his career are toyota.

It would be great to see but i doubt it will ever happen.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 06:48 (Ref:828843)   #3
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think pigs would fly first or Minardi would win a WCC or WDC before TGF went somewhere else.

I don't know for sure though, ask him!
Old 5 Jan 2004, 10:40 (Ref:828844)   #4
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think TGF will retire at the end of 2004, after a relatively unsuccessfuls eason with only 1 race win, and 3rd in the WDC.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 10:56 (Ref:828841)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's signed up to the end of '06, so going by his recent trends, he'll take another WDC or two, about another ten poles getting past Senna's pole record (unfortuantely) and win about another 10 or so GPs, so why would he contemplate going anywhere else? It would prove nothing in the eyes of most of the world except the serious detractors who would skin hm alive if he didn't win as predictably as he he does now with Ferrari, team, budget, tyres notwithstanding.

I just wouldn't be worth it IMO.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 5 Jan 2004, 11:13 (Ref:828834)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Just read in F1-Live that the Russian Bilionaire Roman Abramovish, who already owns Chelsea now wants to buy Jordan, and could be after SchM to drive for the team. Go to F1-Live for the story. Just imagine Jacques and SchM both driving for Jordan - now that would be one helluva hoot.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 12:43 (Ref:828833)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
(Welcome home, Bouncey) Given that TGF is tied up through 2006 at Ferrari, he couldn't move until 2007.

Wrex, you old coot, as you well know, the old mortal coil begins to deteriorate at 35 or so. despite Schuey's high level of fitness, I have to believ ethat the effort needed to stay compettive will become burdensome for him by then.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 13:04 (Ref:828837)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is a similar aritcle in the 31st Dec 2003 Ask Nigel Autosport feature, although it mainly concentrates on the fact that Williams and McLaren would not allow Michael some of the priveliges he has. (so that part is off topic). However it does point out that Ron and Frank both admore and would love to have Michael in their team. Mainly because of his talent, but it does also mention that both teams now how German engines.

More specifically back to the question. We all agreed he probably won't, but if someone stooped up a lot of money. Say twice what he is on ( that is a lot!)? No I don't think he would go. I think he enjoys racing for Ferrari too much and he is quite wealthy as it is!

Now if Bayer Munich tried to get him...

[EDIT: Removed irrevelant part after thread split /EDIT]

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Jan 2004 at 22:06.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 14:40 (Ref:828839)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
He won't go anywhere, i am certain of that. But of the possible choices......

Williams, won't pay the money as previously mentioned.

McLaren, as of 2005, they will have 2 of the 3 best drivers in F1, they don't really need Michael.

Toyota, to be honest, Michael has proberbly passed his peak (i believe that was in 2002), and doesn't have enough time in his career to get them up to the top. He's stated before that he'd go if he started getting beaten, and i'm certain he doesn't want to trundle around in the mid field like Damon and Jacques.

Last edited by Mr V; 5 Jan 2004 at 14:41.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 14:59 (Ref:828845)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he was younger maybe, but as you get older, you usually get more set in your ways and alittle more complacent. You can hardly help but feel "been there done that". You start to value your security and comfort more than anything and maybe you feel less pressure to prove yourself.

So I don't see that happening, at least in F1, but maybe in one of the sports car series. I can see that happening...

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:828854)   #11
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Louis Chiron (Monaco GP 1955) went on until he was 55 years young
Old 5 Jan 2004, 22:05 (Ref:828859)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
TGF question moved to other thread. Bash/attack removed.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:22 (Ref:828960)   #13
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
More specifically back to the question. We all agreed he probably won't, but if someone stooped up a lot of money. Say twice what he is on ( that is a lot!)? No I don't think he would go. I think he enjoys racing for Ferrari too much and he is quite wealthy as it is!
Thankyou Adam, you may well be the only one to both read and answer my question.
Old 5 Jan 2004, 23:56 (Ref:828992)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to tell my friends that MS was going to drive for Toyota sooner or later. I feel they will offer him 100million or something stupid like that just to help them bring the right people to the team and pretty much do for them what he did for Ferrari. Its not MS's racing ability alone that got him his titles, its his abilities off the track.

I think MS would go if offered a huge sum. He would probably sign for one year just before he retires. It would not hurt him at all. The car would always be blamed for the failures and if he got podiums it would be down to his abilities, not Toyotas. IMO its a win, win situation.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:02 (Ref:829024)   #15
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
I used to tell my friends that MS was going to drive for Toyota sooner or later. I feel they will offer him 100million or something stupid like that just to help them bring the right people to the team and pretty much do for them what he did for Ferrari. Its not MS's racing ability alone that got him his titles, its his abilities off the track.

I think MS would go if offered a huge sum. He would probably sign for one year just before he retires. It would not hurt him at all. The car would always be blamed for the failures and if he got podiums it would be down to his abilities, not Toyotas. IMO its a win, win situation.
Well, to steal a line from the simpsons - Toyota didn't get rich by writing a lot of cheques. I think they have a plan, but I would eat my hat if Schumacher is part of it!

Schumacher is old news IMO. The majority of people are bored of seeing him winning and no 'big' sponsor is going to jump up now to see him do it again and again. He is on top as of now, but the only way to go is down and the new breed - the likes of JPM/KR/FA aren't going to be taking any prisoners.

Last edited by Raven; 6 Jan 2004 at 01:03.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 01:20 (Ref:829036)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
To get TGF to move you would also have to buy Ross Brawn and Rory Byrne, possibly Todt as well, and the asking price is....
Old 6 Jan 2004, 09:33 (Ref:829224)   #17
Poddy
Rookie

Poddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like most here, I can't see MS leaving for another team. He seems pretty happy with the job he and byrne, Brawn and Todt have done of reviving Ferrari, and I can't see him a). having the desire to do all that again at Toyota and b). enjoying the same relationship with Williams or Mclaren and as such not wanting to go there.

He'll probably stick around for another championship or two and then go for a nice quiet ambasadorial role within Fiat/Ferrari.
Old 6 Jan 2004, 10:42 (Ref:829265)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote..."they will have 2 of the 3 best drivers in F1"

Wow...whose the 3?

Michael won't leave for another team. Not only have he said as much, it is really beyond me why any team owner, even one as rich as that Roman dude, would pay high millions for a driver near the end of his F1-career. His age will have a huge impact on his performance in the coming seasons (hence i'm not one who buys the "we'd see the best Michael yet" theory)..if it hasn't already, and that there are many potentials out there who are prepared to take over the WDC throne.

In fact, i have the feeling he'd leave competitive racing next season, and due to his passion to drive F1 cars, stay a couple of years to do advisory role for Ferrari by testing cars/managing race situations.