Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Mar 2004, 15:30 (Ref:915235)   #1
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AlfaRomeo GT

I only saw the TV ad last week and absolutely loved the new Alfa GT! What a beauty! I'd definitely consider this when time comes to change my current car and I think the range topping 3.2l V6 245bhp sounds very tempting!

However, being an Alfa, I have doubts about their residuals (in th UK anyway) and wondering if the marque's slightly -ve reputation would plague this sexy GT car also? I have never owed an Italian car before but I would like to know how this would fare against other competitors. Also, Alfa's stealer support is not known to be good either.

I would love to see this car in FIA GT races in the future. PLease feel free to share your thoughts & comments.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:33 (Ref:915321)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: AlfaRomeo GT

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryC
However, being an Alfa, I have doubts about their residuals (in th UK anyway) and wondering if the marque's slightly -ve reputation would plague this sexy GT car also?
Maybe that's changing? Much to my annoyance, 147's don't seem to be suffering from the usual heavy Alfa depreciation.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:51 (Ref:915352)   #3
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd keep a watching brief on used values for the GT once it's selling. I think it'll be popular, but I still reckon there'll be some bargains to be had on demos and 6-12 month old cars. It is gorgeous though, isn't it?

Alot of the car in terms of mechanicals and electrics and such has already seen service in 147s/156s, so it should benefit from Alfa's improving reliability record. Just beware - they still ain't no Lexus.

As for Dealer support, I don't have that problem - one of my mates is sales manager at a dealer in north west England... anyone interested in a new or recent Alfa feel free to PM me - could be worth a decent deal for you and a couple of pints for me!
Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:57 (Ref:915362)   #4
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
garcon, thanks for your offer. i'll let you know when the time comes but i guess i'll need to book myself a test drive first on this italiana beauty. hopefully local stealer would have a V6 for test drive...

i think the colour combination would be in sexy black colour, with contrasting tan leather interior... hmmm nice...!

yeah, definitely makes sense to wait a bit for a good demo as you suggested.
Old 22 Mar 2004, 18:30 (Ref:915469)   #5
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its an alfa and by definition it is butt ugly...

their value does seem to be holding a bit better though
Old 22 Mar 2004, 19:20 (Ref:915531)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw one on the way to work the other day and I have to say they look spot on.
Old 23 Mar 2004, 11:23 (Ref:916310)   #7
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
Quote:
Originally posted by imull
its an alfa and by definition it is butt ugly...

easy...you could upset many people by saying this...

howver, having owed only german cars in the past i could only say (below is just generalisation - no specific cars):

German cars - generally well built & reliable. Bold & conservative typical teutonic design. very good with their electronics. usually with very subtle engine notes. decent residual values.

Italian cars - generally is not known for their reliability but i believe it's improving - this explains poor resale values and the below average stealer support isn't helping either. have slightly more "radical" design. great sounding engine notes being typical italian. god, don't italians know how to make their car sound good! electronics is not the strongest point in general. but the italians have really managed to combine "engineering" with "beauty" - making it an art in every way - feast to the eyes. look at the beautiful alfa (147, 156) interior? the elegantly crafted seats?

i'm sold and would strongly consider an alfa. nuff said.