Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Mar 2004, 13:28 (Ref:905081)   #1
old car
Rookie

United Kingdom
old car should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Marshal - Issue 15

The latest issue of The Marshal has a front page headline 'Volunteers taken for granted?'. Inside 2 experienced drivers, Martin Brundle and Barrie Williams both appear to critisise Clerks of the Course and other officials for not understanding what it is like to drive a racing car.
As a former 'Novice' driver and now a Flag Marshal I wonder how many FIA International and Super Licence racing drivers have ever become Clerks of the Course as a way to improve the way their fellow drivers are treated and to broaden the knowledge of those who did not have the skill, or opportunity, to become successful drivers?
Old 14 Mar 2004, 22:43 (Ref:905363)   #2
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tim Schenken

Australian F1AGP has Tim involved.....
Old 15 Mar 2004, 09:41 (Ref:905669)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I believe many of MB's comments were taken from his Watkins Lecture speach at the NEC.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:25 (Ref:905759)   #4
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When I initially saw Barrie's comments I though "here we go again" but actually having read the letter fully it seemed to me to be very positive. It seems obvious to me that a clerk (or whoever) who actually has some experience of what it's like to drive a race car will be in a better position to understand the problems experienced by a driver. We're always saying that it's good for drivers and marshals to have more dialogue and so more understanding of the issues that effect each other. Barrie is offering the chance for clerks to get that experience through giving up his own time. I'm not sure what is negative about that? I thought it was a very positive idea and something that should be encouraged. Now if he'd just like to extend the offer to the rest of us I'd be very happy

Last edited by Piglet; 15 Mar 2004 at 11:25.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:39 (Ref:905770)   #5
mark ch
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepshed
mark ch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd add that after being taken around Rockingham by Graeme and co from the caterham Graduates my understanding has changed greatly from my trackside ono view.

I've a lot more respect to drivers who manage to see flags whilst heavily multitasking. esp with over cars in semi close proximity.
esp when considering the poor colour of most flags and distance from track/ and some poorly sited flag posts. And walking the track is so very different from driving very quickly
Old 15 Mar 2004, 18:37 (Ref:906198)   #6
Tony_J
Racer

Tony_J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the pursuit of safety we have moved flags and everyone else further and further from the drivers line of sight. We are still waving our little bits of cloth from an ever increasing distance. Is it any wonder that flags are missed so frequentlyMaybe its time for lights on dash boards and trackside to add to the ever increasing number of driver aids, direction arrows [in case they get lost going around corners], etc
Old 15 Mar 2004, 22:01 (Ref:906391)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
See George Copeland's letter in the same publication Tony.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 22:05 (Ref:906397)   #8
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesnt the 750 club have some stewards and clerks that are or have been drivers?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 07:59 (Ref:906746)   #9
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very interested by MB's comments about new circuits having facilities for the teams, the press, the VIP's etc, but nothing for the marshals. He's never said anything like this before. Has someone been bending his ear?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 08:51 (Ref:906792)   #10
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry! Clerks & other officials are there to enforce and uphold the regulations of an event, as laid out by the governing body.
So, if a clerk goes on an ARDS course or whatever and gets to see things from a drivers persective - eg - might have trouble in spotting poorly sited flag points - does he then let drivers "Get Away" with it becuase he agrees that flags are hard to see?
No - I think not!
If I were tanking down a main road through a town at 7omph and got pulled over, would I be let off for saying that I didn't see the 30mph sign?

I do think that perhaps waving bits of rag at drivers is now outdated and an alternative method of signalling is needed - but this will not happen for a while yet.
I also think that some Observers need to use a little more common sense when deciding whether to report someone for overtaking under a yellow. Yes, there are the blatant overtaking manouvres that need reporting, and then there are those with mitigating circumstances. An expericenced official will be able to differentiate the two. That is not to say that the incident should not be reported but a word with the Clerk to offer some explaination as to why it might have happened is useful!
So, to summise the Clerk is appointed to "Police" the regulations - he doesn't need to privately agree that those regulations are the "Right" ones, but whilst they apply to the sport, they must be adhered to!

Last edited by Mark Mitchell; 16 Mar 2004 at 08:53.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 12:00 (Ref:906931)   #11
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Some very interesting points here. As a Clerk of the Course who has raced (with absolutely no success whatsoever!!!), I do believe that my experiences help me deal with drivers in a constructive and non confrontational way, when rules have been broken (this is after all motor SPORT!) As Observer rightly points out, it is not up to me or my colleagues to agree or disagree with the regulations BUT where our discretion IS appropriate is in deciding what penalty should be applied. You can argue with me (and probably will!) but I often take the view, particularly with an inexperienced driver, that if he doesn't have an 'attitude', has understood what he has done wrong and, I believe, has learnt from the experience, then I will take a balanced view on the PENALTY that should be applied for the offence (which does not mean ignoring the offence itself). I hope that you will all be pleased to know that when it comes to offences where, I believe that marshals have been put at risk or abused in some way, I don't take any prisoners!
The other point from Barrie Williams letter is a subject that he and I have discussed on several occasions. MSA regulations require safety cars to be driven by a person hold a competition (race) licence appropriate to the status of the event (i.e Nat B, Nat A or International). Now, in my experience (doesn't that sound pompous!) I've had some very competent racing drivers driving safety cars who haven't got a clue as to what's required, whereas I think many Clerks would do the job much better and more safely. Bear in mind that while safety cars should be driven fast enough to keep the competing cars 'warm', it's NOT neccessary to drive at racing speeds. That being said, I agree with all of Barrie's points and you will find few drivers with more understanding and sympathy with marshals and officials than Barrie!
By the way, big thanks to everyone at Mallory on Sunday. Sorry about the wind and rain but it was a good meeting, despite the effects of certain drivers having not refitted their brains for the new season. Thanks for all the support to 750MC and hope that you'll also support the HSCC meetings during the year. Please continue to hurl abuse at me when I stop at your posts!
Old 16 Mar 2004, 22:08 (Ref:907603)   #12
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Stevespurr
Doesnt the 750 club have some stewards and clerks that are or have been drivers?
They do indeed, John and Viv have both competed and of course don't forget Don Truman of BRSCC started out life as a competitor.

Sheila
Old 17 Mar 2004, 01:46 (Ref:907808)   #13
MacGWC
Racer

United Kingdom
Hanslope, Bucks
MacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMacGWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't yet caught up with the latest copy of The Marshal but I think many of you would be surprised at the number of current Clerks of the Course who have previous (and in some cases current) experience as drivers. For certain, there is a greater proportion of Clerks and Marshals who have experience on the other side of the armco than drivers who have any real experience in marshalling or clerking. Maybe that is where a major part of the lack of understanding comes from?

Last edited by MacGWC; 17 Mar 2004 at 01:48.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 16:00 (Ref:922992)   #14
scottball75
Rookie

scottball75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MacGWC
For certain, there is a greater proportion of Clerks and Marshals who have experience on the other side of the armco than drivers who have any real experience in marshalling or clerking. Maybe that is where a major part of the lack of understanding comes from?
Which is why I believe that all drivers should spend a day 'on the bank' in order to get an upgrade signature on their licence.

I have been on various posts at various circuits where there have been drivers who have turned up to do a days marshaling, and they have virtually all have had different misconceptions, of what to expect and have all reacted in different ways. One in particular at Post 3 at Brands Hatch left at lunch time and never came back, saying that "he felt quite vulnerableā€!