Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 May 2004, 00:13 (Ref:978216)   #1
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Mclaren/Newey Over-ambition?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/photo.php/large/28313.jpg

Perhaps this is the reason for Mclaren's problems this year: along the theme of them over-extending themselves, stretching too far with the thoughts of Paragon...sorry, Mclaren Technology Centre.

Is it me, or does it look like he is on the SS Enterprise?

Might explain everything.

Last edited by Dutton; 22 May 2004 at 00:15.
Old 22 May 2004, 01:06 (Ref:978246)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If anything he looks a bit bored.
Old 22 May 2004, 01:26 (Ref:978258)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Surely, it sounds better to say "We tried to take a step too wide and a risk too big and we failed" - which reflects ambition - rather than say "We failed simply cause we screwed up" - which implies inability..
Old 22 May 2004, 01:59 (Ref:978272)   #4
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hardly think that Mclaren is synonymous with inability.
The team have merely overstepped and are now paying for it.
I would fully expect them to make progress throughout this year and be back to competitive form next season.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 22 May 2004, 04:24 (Ref:978340)   #5
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The aim of Ron Dennis and McLaren is simply not to race but to develop an image of charisma and class. I wouldnt say that Ron wants McLaren to become exactly the 'Ferrari' of U.K. but something in that mode. Ron wants McLaren to dominate the UK sports car market/Ferrari's image and he is working hard for that to happen.

I am among the biggest fans of McLaren and Ron Dennis on this forum. The guy must be given credit for making McLaren the most brilliant team of the past 25 years. You look at the history of McLaren and you see Prost, Lauda, Senna, Hakkinen... I mean these guys are true legends on the sport. And Ron Dennis, again, is looking at the big picture. He already has the two most exciting drivers on the grid in his line-up for 2005. He not only just want to win, he wants to win with STYLE, with grace and with charisma.

And believe me fans will go crazy when JPM and Kimi will fight against each other and one guy will become champ. It wont be a manipulative drama like at Ferrari. It WILL be beautiful and it will be true racing.. just like Prost raced against Senna in the late 80s. Just wait and see...
Old 22 May 2004, 13:53 (Ref:978831)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I read recently about a significant update coming, within 3 weeks (i.e. for Canada?): the emphasis seemng to be it is a significant aero update, which Newey was saying simulations indicate is a notable performance increase.

He also added that he sees 2005 being, in effect, a building year with 2006 seeing them up front again. Seems reasonable enough to me.

For sure, in the current situation, it is very hard to see Mclaren doing anything other than sorting out the problems and being championship winning material once again.

I have no great love for Ron or Mclaren, but most certainly a huge amount of respect and acknowledgement of the organisations unquestionably high capabilities.
Old 22 May 2004, 14:26 (Ref:978859)   #7
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,as adrian said in the interview-it will take ages for merc to be top of the heap again
Grim stuff
Old 22 May 2004, 14:27 (Ref:978862)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Merc, yes, they have a lot of work to do. Me thinks Mclaren need to be aiming to start making cars good enough to overcome the disadvantage.
Old 22 May 2004, 14:58 (Ref:978882)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote: "It wont be a manipulative drama like at Ferrari. It WILL be beautiful and it will be true racing.. just like Prost raced against Senna in the late 80s. Just wait and see..."

* cough *
You mean like how beautiful manufactured Mika's first win in the last race of 97, how true DC was made to sacrifice many races of his for the best of his teammate, and how honest they manage to keep their face while weaving beatiful stories to justify it

But nah..enemy-ace, i don't underestimate Mclaren, never do (in fact, their failure last year actually made me fear them most pre-season because i was so sure they'd come back so much stronger - just check my pre-season sentiments ). They have the resources, cash, and talent and dept and people...all controlled by one Mr Ron (whom i admire for his leadership of Mclaren).

They tried too hard and they fall hard...but they've done that last year and really, i couldn't figure how they repeat the same mistake again...and ironically, the disbelief of many that Mclaren actually did so bad showed that everyone held Mclaren's ability in very high respect.
Old 22 May 2004, 15:20 (Ref:978899)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I also read that at Barcelona Kimi got the only available edition of an engine update (alledgedly worth 20hp, but that seems rather a lot to me).

The sensible person to give it to.
Old 22 May 2004, 15:38 (Ref:978913)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

I wasn't aware of it and hence i'd refrain from adding any thoughts Would be surprised if they do, and they probably have a decent reason to...no?

Last edited by Gt_R; 22 May 2004 at 15:39.
Old 22 May 2004, 18:03 (Ref:978994)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
If they only have one available, then only one driver can get it: not only is Kimi the more likely to make better use of it, David is leaving at the end of the season.

Kimi will get the favour in Mclaren, much like Mika before him. I don't have any problem with it, clearly, it is the sensible thing for the team to do.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out when Juan joins.
Old 22 May 2004, 23:59 (Ref:979193)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Same here...i have no problem with it.
Old 23 May 2004, 02:46 (Ref:979293)   #14
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R

You mean like how beautiful manufactured Mika's first win in the last race of 97..

what ...

Although this is out of context, I will reply to this . Australia 97 was not a manufactured result. Mika had beaten DC fair and square both in qualifying and throughout the race and he wasnt going to loose a well-deserved victory because of a radio message misunderstanding..

Get a life~!
Old 23 May 2004, 05:10 (Ref:979362)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

"Get a life~!"

I'm so very sorry for not making myself clear on the incident....Mika won in Australia 97?
Old 23 May 2004, 05:12 (Ref:979364)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

I'm talking about Jerez not Australia...you know..when JV let them pass and DC was told to move over to give Mika a chance?
Old 23 May 2004, 12:00 (Ref:979651)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
The aim of Ron Dennis and McLaren is simply not to race but to develop an image of charisma and class.
As much as I like and admire McLaren, I don't think they have come anywhere near to achieving the first part of the image you say they want to develop!
Old 24 May 2004, 06:08 (Ref:980790)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid