Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Aug 2014, 11:07 (Ref:3442989)   #226
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, that is true. And the defence for introducing the 'shoot out' is because "after 300km the result is predictable - fans want something to keep them excited" - the words of RBMH/ WRC chief Ciesla.

How about having events of 500km, or 200km?? Mix it up a bit, 10-13 identikit events has killed the WRC. I remember when we had midweek events, didn't seem to affect the crowds. The old RAC started Sunday and finished Weds/ Thurs....crowds and media interest was far bigger than now.

While I agree with DR's recent comments; he is mainly responsible for the F1-ification if the WRC. And of course, the teams all bought into it, thinking it would bring F1 style coverage and £££££££. And in came the dreaded 'cloverleaf' format; which robbed most events of their character.
Old 13 Aug 2014, 22:00 (Ref:3444075)   #227
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Meeke to get on the podium.
I just watched the highlights again. Very enjoyable rally, but then again, Finland tends to deliver good action (that sequence of Ruuhimaki jumps are awesome!) Very glad to see Meeke and Nagle on the podium although that 'moment' and smashing into the hole could so easily have ruined it.

Ogier seemed rather chatty! I see his point about road sweeping though, why are we back to the leader having to sweep the road again? Wasn't there a qualifying system in place not so long ago so drivers could choose their running order. Nothing like consistency eh?

Anway, fantastic performance from Latvala and Antilla. I wonder if anyone will dare ask Jari-Matti what those 'wake up rituals' of his are; had me in stitches.

Haydon Paddon once again impressed.

Finally, is it just me or have the FIA inspectors become a bit strict on not allowing cars with roll cage issues to run? I don't recall such forced 'retirements' a decade ago for instance.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 09:59 (Ref:3447655)   #228
WALTRAV
Rookie

WALTRAV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my miniature of Ogier's Polo at the 2013 :
Old 26 Aug 2014, 10:42 (Ref:3447667)   #229
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The VW winning streak has been broken Neuville takes the win in Germany - Hyundai win for the first time. I didn't see too much of the action but from what I did see it was a good event - the German stages always look like good fun. Even more impressive from Neuville considering the damage he did to the car on the shakedown (multiple roll).
Old 26 Aug 2014, 11:52 (Ref:3447700)   #230
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
The VW winning streak has been broken Neuville takes the win in Germany - Hyundai win for the first time. I didn't see too much of the action but from what I did see it was a good event - the German stages always look like good fun. Even more impressive from Neuville considering the damage he did to the car on the shakedown (multiple roll).
Indeed, although I think it was more down to the VW's visiting the scenery. To be fair he did well to haul it back but Meeke seemed to have the measure of him before he also visited the scenery. I haven't seen the last bit of the coverage yet, I've got up to Latvala going into the vineyard but not seen the Meeke incident yet. Cracking stages as usual and extremely fast. Shame about Latvala as that would have made the championship more interesting.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 12:01 (Ref:3447709)   #231
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
Indeed, although I think it was more down to the VW's visiting the scenery.
Agreed - Neuville got that out of the way before the start! He won because of others mistakes - but when it counted he didn't make any and they did. For me that's a deserved win - it wasn't as if all the cars in front dropped out due to mechanical woes.

Quote:
Shame about Latvala as that would have made the championship more interesting.
I'm not sure even with a Latvala win the championship would come alive, I think Ogier has too much in hand.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 15:46 (Ref:3447793)   #232
Alex Langheck
Racer

Latvala had a lead of a minute, and didn’t need to be pushing – just bring it home. Though he has said it was a misheard/wrong pace-note error.

Meeke was about 10 secs ahead of Neuville, so had to push; he has said it was an optimistic pace-note; which is believable as he’s only done the event once in a WRCar. He’s done enough to warrant another year in the car; the pace & consistency will come with more seat time. He is now the only one who can challenge the VW’s on pace.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3447798)   #233
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
I'm not sure even with a Latvala win the championship would come alive, I think Ogier has too much in hand.
Very true but it might just made him a bit more nervous and forced some more mistakes. He certainly seemed out of sorts in Germany.
Old 26 Aug 2014, 16:10 (Ref:3447799)   #234
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post

Meeke was about 10 secs ahead of Neuville, so had to push; he has said it was an optimistic pace-note; which is believable as he’s only done the event once in a WRCar. He’s done enough to warrant another year in the car; the pace & consistency will come with more seat time. He is now the only one who can challenge the VW’s on pace.
He certainly seems to be the only one that is getting anywhere close to their pace at the moment. I'm sure Neuville will get there once the car is more developed.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:29 (Ref:3448485)   #235
cg7aa
Veteran

Heavens above! What on earth went on in Germany last weekend? I've said it before and I'll say it again, that rally is one evil b*stard! A real test.

Neuville's shakedown crash was terrifying, I thought the cage would give way. Then Ogier's second crash! Nothing good comes out of anything hitting an armco and moving the armco so that it goes underneath it.

I was so disappointed for Latvala and for Meeke. So close and yet so far. Who knows what that win would have done for Latvala's confidence on the remaining gravel rounds. Likewise for Meeke. I bet VW had manufacturer's championship shirts printed for the weekend. Jost Capito must be a very disappointed man, no win to report to the board on home soil.

Fair play to Neuville and Hyundai though, their tiny car may not do much for me but they kept it together when all around them were losing their heads.

Evans was quietly impressive too. That boy may go places in the future. Keeping it on the road in such a tricky rally first time around is no small achievement.

Time to add this rally to my to do list.
Old 28 Aug 2014, 11:35 (Ref:3448487)   #236
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
He certainly seems to be the only one that is getting anywhere close to their pace at the moment. I'm sure Neuville will get there once the car is more developed.
I thought Mads would have been a real nuisance to the VWs this year but he seems to be struggling to get on terms with the car. Didn't Hirvonen have the same issues during his time there?

So, how many cars do we think Hyundai will run next season? It must be a nightmare choosing their driver line-up. To me, all the drivers they have rotated have shown very well so who do you say goodbye to? Tough call.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 12:57 (Ref:3452564)   #237
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Autosport reporting that the latest proposals by the promoter have been rejected by the WMSC.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 16:47 (Ref:3452636)   #238
Alex Langheck
Racer

FiA/ WMSC in sensible decision shocker.
Shoot outs and handicapping the Championship leader are ridiculous ideas. Why don't RedBull actually promote the sport?? It might just work.
Mix the events up with an even mix of Tarmac, gravel plus a snow event; also, 2,3,4 day events; sprint and endurance events.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 12:22 (Ref:3453546)   #239
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
Why don't RedBull actually promote the sport??
I wish they'd stop calling these organisations promoters because no matter what motorsport it is they simply don't do any. They're brokers who simply do deals for TV coverage and sponsors. Sorry but in my book that's not promotion or PR.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 16:05 (Ref:3453591)   #240
Alex Langheck
Racer

Quote:
I wish they'd stop calling these organisations promoters because no matter what motorsport it is they simply don't do any. They're brokers who simply do deals for TV coverage and sponsors. Sorry but in my book that's not promotion or PR.
Exactly!! Nail on head. They're all the same. They don't promote - they sell TV rights.
What is annoying, RedBull are capable of promoting anything; Baumgartner's leap from space, Mountain Bike World Cup, Freestyle MX, RedBull Air Race, etc

So why aren't they promoting the WRC properly? Is it political? They'll only promote it properly when it's how they want it? Shoot outs, gimmicks, etc
Old 15 Sep 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3453592)   #241
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
Quote:
What is annoying, RedBull are capable of promoting anything; Baumgartner's leap from space, Mountain Bike World Cup, Freestyle MX, RedBull Air Race, etc

So why aren't they promoting the WRC properly? Is it political? They'll only promote it properly when it's how they want it? Shoot outs, gimmicks, etc
That's the big worry and they've got a 10 year deal if I remember correctly, which gives them plenty of time to get their own way. At least the WMSC have actually shown some sense for once though.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3454068)   #242
cg7aa
Veteran

So then, what did we make of rally Australia? We might have had an edge of seat finale if Latvala hadn't been set back a little with the tyre choice mistake, but then again, maybe after their Germany experience, VW may have called a halt to the fighting early on the final day.
Old 16 Sep 2014, 21:42 (Ref:3454086)   #243
cg7aa
Veteran

These corner cutting penalties...why the sudden clampdown? I remember back in the day on the Safari rally, McRae and Grist taking an almighty shortcut!
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:18 (Ref:3454263)   #244
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
These corner cutting penalties...why the sudden clampdown? I remember back in the day on the Safari rally, McRae and Grist taking an almighty shortcut!
Agreed - if they don't want people to cut the corners then put a whacking great bale / log / lump of concrete on the corner ahead of the recce so people put a "don't cut" into their notes. If there's nothing to physically stop the cut then it's fair game. That McRae / Grist cut was great wasn't it?
Old 17 Sep 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3454273)   #245
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2014 World Rally Championship

All competitors want is consistency. I saw nothing wrong with Meeke's cut.

I remember witnessing one huge cut at Margham Park on the Rally GB about 200 metres from the end of the stage (and rally!). Colin came thru and took the cut ... leaving a rather bemused marshal between him and the track. As soon as he finished he got a message to the tannoy commentator telling us all to keep much further back as most drivers would probably have recce'd it the same and would be making the same cut.

No time penalties then, even though there was technically a safety risk.

Last edited by garcon; 17 Sep 2014 at 13:19. Reason: typos
Old 17 Sep 2014, 20:37 (Ref:3454460)   #246
Alex Langheck
Racer

Quote:

I reckon the current vogue of 'respecting track limits' in circuit racing has spread to the bigwigs, who think the same should apply to rallying. Wrong!! Totally different sport - what will happen in Catalunya? Where huge cuts are part of the event. Not only are the rules ridiculous, but so was the penalty handed out to Meeke; again, they've dished out a circuit racing penalty - giving his place to the car behind; who was over a minute behind.
Old 20 Sep 2014, 21:44 (Ref:3455789)   #247
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
...That McRae / Grist cut was great wasn't it?
Wasn't it just? I think they went to Tanzania and back with that cut!
Old 20 Sep 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3455793)   #248
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
I reckon the current vogue of 'respecting track limits' in circuit racing has spread to the bigwigs, who think the same should apply to rallying. Wrong!! Totally different sport - what will happen in Catalunya? Where huge cuts are part of the event. Not only are the rules ridiculous, but so was the penalty handed out to Meeke; again, they've dished out a circuit racing penalty - giving his place to the car behind; who was over a minute behind.
I couldn't agree more Alex! It seems bizarre to start applying this to rallying. Makes no sense at all to me.

I heard Ostberg and Meeke are fighting for the one seat at Citroen, does that mean they are only running one car next season?
Old 20 Sep 2014, 23:07 (Ref:3455876)   #249
pettersolberg29
Rookie

United Kingdom
UK, Kent
pettersolberg29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I couldn't agree more Alex! It seems bizarre to start applying this to rallying. Makes no sense at all to me.

I heard Ostberg and Meeke are fighting for the one seat at Citroen, does that mean they are only running one car next season?
Rumours that Petter Solberg is returning to Citroen in 2015... we'll see!
Old 21 Sep 2014, 10:32 (Ref:3456256)   #250
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pettersolberg29 View Post
Rumours that Petter Solberg is returning to Citroen in 2015... we'll see!
Don't see that happen.