Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Drifting

Old 7 Feb 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2628648)   #226
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
What a stupid post, look at how big drifting is in Japan and America, drifting clearly has market potential otherwise we wouldn't see manufacturer backed cars and corporate sponsored cars in drifting.

And for the record, it actually started off on the mountain passes in Japan, not car parks.

Back on topic, yes I think it's motorsport. Motor cars are used, and it is a sport, so therefore it is a motorsport.

It's also awesome to watch, and I really want to get into it. could get really big in the UK, a shame about some of the idiots in the sport though, reading the Driftworks forum really puts me off, the drivers should behave like professionals off track as well if they want the sport to grow.
No, it started on dirt tracks and dirt roads in America and Europe.

It's not a sport, it's judged.

And no, I don't think figure skating is a sport either.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 11:30 (Ref:2634301)   #227
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the MSA have now answered the question with regards Time Attack at least, as they've recognised it as a form of motorsport.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2634370)   #228
Peter Dunne
Tea Addict And Summoner Of Safety Cars
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Erm, so is boxing. Would you not class boxing as a sport?

The dictionary seems to think it is and it would appear that by definition, so is drifting.

Sport:
1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2.a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

I'm personally not a fan of drifting. Is it motorsport? Most definitely.
Old 16 Feb 2010, 18:10 (Ref:2634507)   #229
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
Erm, so is boxing. Would you not class boxing as a sport?

The dictionary seems to think it is and it would appear that by definition, so is drifting.

Sport:
1.an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

2.a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.

3.diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

I'm personally not a fan of drifting. Is it motorsport? Most definitely.
Boxing isn't a sport. It's just two neanderthals beating the crap out of each other for exuberant amounts of money.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 03:07 (Ref:2638773)   #230
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No, it started on dirt tracks and dirt roads in America and Europe.
As guys randomly screwing-off perhaps, but as a sport with guys seriously focused on hanging onto the most wickedly out of shape cars, and specifically modifying the cars for that objective, it began on the mountain roads of Japan. I think it's when you start modifying the car for it that it's really a sport, not just some impromptu thing.
Quote:

And no, I don't think figure skating is a sport either.
So included in the list of things I thought were a sport but aren't:
Figure skating
Diving
Gymnastics
Ski jumping
Freestyle skiing
Rodeo
Undoubtedly many others that haven't occurred to me at the moment.
Old 24 Feb 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2639530)   #231
Silver GT
Racer

Silver GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nope....same catagory as syncronised swimming
Old 1 Mar 2010, 12:32 (Ref:2642619)   #232
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boxing is actually the purest competition there is?

It is one man against another, no holds barred and few rules.

Its honour, talent, strength, courage and dedication put to the highest test!!

I think any sport where you compete against anotehr person for a judgement or a result is a sport.

the MSA are fuddy duddies and I imagine the only reason time attack got a licence is coz it takes place mainly on MSA tracks with MSA drivers!! Simple as.

In response to the peopel gong on about car control, well doing things liek this in a fairly confined space is all well and good but the cars, diffs, tyres, shocks, pretty much everything are setup to make drifting easy.

Doing it in a rally stage at 100mph is a little more skilled and requires more ability in my book.

But I guess it's still motorsport!
Old 1 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2642899)   #233
Pato
Rookie

United Kingdom
Pato should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
In response to the peopel gong on about car control, well doing things liek this in a fairly confined space is all well and good but the cars, diffs, tyres, shocks, pretty much everything are setup to make drifting easy.
So your saying this is easy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CK94zCXsKI
Old 2 Mar 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2643291)   #234
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Peter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPeter Dunne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So your saying this is easy?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CK94zCXsKI
I'd say he nearly lost it

If he did it ten times in succession, that would be impressive
Old 2 Mar 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2643330)   #235
Pato
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dunne View Post
I'd say he nearly lost it

If he did it ten times in succession, that would be impressive
You clearly haven't seen much of D1 have you? During qualifying the majority of the top drivers do backwards entries, they try to do that on purpose to qualify as high as they can.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 22:17 (Ref:2643655)   #236
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Y' see I am not saying its not easy. I am saying that coz it looks very sideways epopel think its incredibly difficult.

But the cars are setup in such a way as to make it easier for the guy to do this?

Try and do it in a bog standard car with no tuneable LSD and no Tein shocks and see where you go, you will be able to drift but not as controllably and quickly as the D1 guys.

I went to see them at Silverstone and though it was good, was way overrated. Cars were lovely, guys great showmen, but 20seconds of action every few mins just aint enough!

Needs to be in car parks and malls where you can get real close to action as they do in Japan sometimes.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 04:09 (Ref:2644563)   #237
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Drift fanboys are so annoying.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:17 (Ref:2645118)   #238
Pato
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Y' see I am not saying its not easy. I am saying that coz it looks very sideways epopel think its incredibly difficult.

But the cars are setup in such a way as to make it easier for the guy to do this?

Try and do it in a bog standard car with no tuneable LSD and no Tein shocks and see where you go, you will be able to drift but not as controllably and quickly as the D1 guys.

I went to see them at Silverstone and though it was good, was way overrated. Cars were lovely, guys great showmen, but 20seconds of action every few mins just aint enough!

Needs to be in car parks and malls where you can get real close to action as they do in Japan sometimes.
But that's pretty obvious isn't it? Drifters are bound to want to modify their cars so that they can drive easier and be more competitive? It happens in most motorsports. I bet most of the rally drivers would suck if their cars didn't have the correct modifications.

Also many drivers are competitive in basically standard cars, Heres a video of Mike Gaynor in a bog standard E30 with just a welded diff, who came close to winning the BDC championship in the car (0:46 is him qualifying in 1st place at Knockhill, higher than 500 BHP Silvias and 350Z's):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79VoYojwWyI

Also at all the drift events I've been too there have been cars on track drifting at most times, not 'every 20 secs every few mins'. That desciption for me applies to regular forms of motorsport much more than drifting which is non stop action imo.

If you like seeing close up action on on car parks then JDM Allstars already provides that:

Wembley:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d_-HRAGRN8

Quote:
Drift fanboys are so annoying.
It's annoying for us when we constantly have to put up with people from conventional forms of motorsport talking crap about the sport we love, reading stuff like 'drifting is not motorsport' 'drfting is judged, so it isn't a sport' 'drifting is chavvy' and **** like that from ignorant people who probably haven't even been to a drift event.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:36 (Ref:2645125)   #239
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Least you get tyre squeel and smoke - tropheé andros is drifting on ice. Forget the racing parts - overtaking is pretty much impossible so it's all about the qualifying which comes down to drifting around a few corners - I can do that at Tesco when it snows!
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:40 (Ref:2645130)   #240
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It's annoying for us when we constantly have to put up with people from conventional forms of motorsport talking crap about the sport we love, reading stuff like 'drifting is not motorsport' 'drfting is judged, so it isn't a sport' 'drifting is chavvy' and **** like that from ignorant people who probably haven't even been to a drift event.
I have every sympathy with you on this point. I tend to think of drifting as a somewhat pointless and futile way to fritter away ones time, but I'd say the same of Football, Rugby, Cricket, Drag racing, American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Athletics and many others.

That doesn't mean I don't respect those who are involved in these sports just that they hold no real interest for me, my point is you don't have to have an interest in a sport to respect those who do and there isn't really any excuse for rubbishing a sport or those who are involved in it after all at the top level all sports require the same thing - total commitment - which surely deserves our respect.

Sports that do 'do it' for me (in case anyone cares) Single seater racing at all levels, hill climb, sprint, tennis, snooker.
Old 4 Mar 2010, 21:57 (Ref:2645137)   #241
Pato
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourWheelDrift View Post
I have every sympathy with you on this point. I tend to think of drifting as a somewhat pointless and futile way to fritter away ones time, but I'd say the same of Football, Rugby, Cricket, Drag racing, American Football, Basketball, Baseball, Athletics and many others.

That doesn't mean I don't respect those who are involved in these sports just that they hold no real interest for me, my point is you don't have to have an interest in a sport to respect those who do and there isn't really any excuse for rubbishing a sport or those who are involved in it after all at the top level all sports require the same thing - total commitment - which surely deserves our respect.

Sports that do 'do it' for me (in case anyone cares) Single seater racing at all levels, hill climb, sprint, tennis, snooker.
Fair enough, at least you show respect for the competitors unlike some others on here and other forums I've been on.

And on the subject of hillclimb, heres Prodrift driver Mike Deane winning his class in hill climb in his drift spec Silvia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXdrbW1A_Y
Old 18 Mar 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2654999)   #242
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alright,

I think its great that there is a form of motorsports like this growing - its nice to see such innovation and originality, instead of just racing around a track like every other form of motorsports.

I think that Drifiting is STILL motorsports. It involves cars, and a track. So it qualifies. Just because it is original and innovative does not mean it should be slated as a "fad".

Having said all that, it isn't for me. But I still respect it, and like people have already said - it requires total commitment at the higher levels, just like every other sport on the planet.

Its only being picked on because it is new, a bit like video-games are being picked on because they are new, and "childish". But already we see things like video-games becoming big - big in industry, money and size, as well as popularity. Drifting will too, if an audience is there.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 08:46 (Ref:2664025)   #243
Peter Dunne
Veteran

Quote:
And on the subject of hillclimb, heres Prodrift driver Mike Deane winning his class in hill climb in his drift spec Silvia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRXdrbW1A_Y
Only just spotted this.

Interestingly,(or not depending on your view), Mike and his brother Kenneth spannered for me at my first hillclimb in 2001. I wasn't aware that he gave it a go himself in Dungarvan.

Must give him a buzz one of these days
Old 4 May 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2684481)   #244
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
I think that Drifiting is STILL motorsports. It involves cars, and a track. So it qualifies. Just because it is original and innovative does not mean it should be slated as a "fad".

Having said all that, it isn't for me. But I still respect it, and like people have already said - it requires total commitment at the higher levels, just like every other sport on the planet.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. It's a "competition", not motorsports. The reason being, because it is up to judges to give the competitors a score. Not an outright "win". At least with Formula D here in the states. That said I'll be seeing it this weekend at Road Atlanta. The main reason is the U.S. F-2000 Champioship races that share the billing.
Old 5 May 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2684871)   #245
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. It's a "competition", not motorsports. The reason being, because it is up to judges to give the competitors a score. Not an outright "win". At least with Formula D here in the states. That said I'll be seeing it this weekend at Road Atlanta. The main reason is the U.S. F-2000 Champioship races that share the billing.
The problem is (and I admit I hate it when people say this myself), try and define "competition" and "motorsports".

I could be mistaken, in fact I am probably mistaken, but I'm not sure there is a concrete definition of the two?

(Just had a look on Wikipedia - not the most reliable source I admit - and it defines motorsports as possibly being non-racing:

Quote:
In addition to motor racing, there are many other forms of motorsport which don't involve racing. Examples include motorcycle trials, freestyle motocross and tractor pulling.
Old 5 May 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2684901)   #246
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyewat808 View Post
The problem is (and I admit I hate it when people say this myself), try and define "competition" and "motorsports".

I could be mistaken, in fact I am probably mistaken, but I'm not sure there is a concrete definition of the two?

(Just had a look on Wikipedia - not the most reliable source I admit - and it defines motorsports as possibly being non-racing:
Tractor pulls are most definitely "racing." The winner is the one that can complete the distance in the fastest time.
Old 7 May 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2686061)   #247
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Tractor pulls are most definitely "racing." The winner is the one that can complete the distance in the fastest time.

I did say that Wikipedia ain't the most reliable source of information!

That just proves it I suppose.
Old 7 May 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2686069)   #248
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
erm actually, Tractor Pulling is about pulling the heaviest weight the furthest distance. Time only comes into it if there are more than one 'full pull' in the final round, only then is the speed of the pull relevant.
Old 18 May 2010, 15:54 (Ref:2693394)   #249
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
erm actually, Tractor Pulling is about pulling the heaviest weight the furthest distance. Time only comes into it if there are more than one 'full pull' in the final round, only then is the speed of the pull relevant.
Well, I admit that I have absolutely no idea, so I take your good word for it, silver bullet!
Old 18 May 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2693488)   #250
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
It's like ice skating. Speed skating is racing, figure skating isn't but is still a form of sport. Drifting isn't racing but some sort of figure driving, and is a sport held with a powered vehicle, that is a form of motorsport.