Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:39 (Ref:2030937)   #226
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
Another point. Wasn't Mark Webber sick in his helmet at some point? Could his judgement have been impaired if he was feeling ill?
I wondered why he was going so well
Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2030945)   #227
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
The BBC are using the YouTube footage in their reports... Hmm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7027743.stm
naughty naughty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by staid davenport
Could someone please enlighten us to the exact rules for driving under the saftey car please.
The sporting regs are available from FIA.com and they are highlighted earlier in this thread.
Quote:
Another point. Wasn't Mark Webber sick in his helmet at some point? Could his judgement have been impaired if he was feeling ill?
There is no inidcation that Mark drove oddly at that point. In terms of expressing his opinion is might have had an effect at the time maybe, but he (and others) have repeated this point of view again.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:50 (Ref:2030948)   #228
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
This sort of thing will probably get a whole lot worse before it gets better.Too much money at stake.

Last edited by Marbot; 4 Oct 2007 at 14:55.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 14:56 (Ref:2030953)   #229
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I wondered why he was going so well
Normally he's as "sick as a parrot" after the race.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2030959)   #230
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I wonder if LH's inexperience is the real cause of this - this was only his second F1 race in the wet, and if he has never been in the situation that Webber and the followers found themselves (i.e. torrential rain, heavy spray ,safety car etc) , he was probably unaware of how little visibilty was to be had, and therefor how his actions could be regarded as a little careless.

James
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:07 (Ref:2030961)   #231
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lewis could claim that its difficult/dangerous to drive 5 car lengths [or whatever it is] behind the safety car in extreme wet conditions because a] he may actually have less adhesion than the safety car and be unable to react as quickly and b] his vision is impaired.

His driving did appear eratic while behind the safety car but I'm sure McLaren have a bag load of reasons to explain it away. Its certainly not as black and white as Webber or Button make it out to be and I honestly don't know whether the footage from the grandstand makes his situation any more onerous than the live feed indicated... and the stewards didn't feel action needed to be taken on that basis.

Still, the more devious view would be that Bernie's stuck his **** stirrer in and inflamed a relatively inert event aware that the championship may be sown up this weekend and nobody will be looking at Interlagos on 21st.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:10 (Ref:2030963)   #232
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Actually having just viewed the YouTube video, I cannot see what all the fuss is about - Hamilton was way away from Webber and Vettel, slow, but Vettel trailing so close to Webber was the problem, nothing to do with Hamilton, barring the fact the seeing him over there was what caused Vettel to miss Webbers braking, which is entirely Vettels fault - he should have been paying more attention.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2030965)   #233
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Still, the more devious view would be that Bernie's stuck his **** stirrer in and inflamed a relatively inert event aware that the championship may be sown up this weekend and nobody will be looking at Interlagos on 21st.
I'm devious then

What's the betting that Hamilton has to start 10 places or even at the back of the grid.

Now if only I can find that Rat I'm smelling.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:15 (Ref:2030968)   #234
mrsweety
Racer

mrsweety should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this all not a case of him being side by side with the SC? not too far away!

He nearly overtook it :-)
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:15 (Ref:2030969)   #235
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy

Good forward thinking on BE's part.

No matter how many points the drivers may have,the title will always be decided at the last round.That shouldn't be too difficult to work into the sporting code.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:17 (Ref:2030970)   #236
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm devious then

What's the betting that Hamilton has to start 10 places or even at the back of the grid.

Alan, based on what's happened already this year, I think what you say is exactly what's going to happen... with a Hamilton DQ from Japan to spice things up for Bernie.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:18 (Ref:2030972)   #237
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Are you sure it's not a fish?
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:19 (Ref:2030973)   #238
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
sporting code.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:20 (Ref:2030974)   #239
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Are you sure it's not a fish?
Yes it's all a bit 'fishy'
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:31 (Ref:2030984)   #240
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having viewed this 'video evidence' it would be a disgrace if Lewis is given anything more than a verbal warning, are the FIA forgetting he is a rookie?! Fernando's required 'miracle' may yet happen though I fear.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2030995)   #241
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think it's anything to do with being a rookie - if it was, Vettel would have been let off for being inexperienced. That's what caused his error, but it doesn't make not paying attention to what's going on in front of you okay.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Oct 2007, 15:58 (Ref:2031006)   #242
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The way Lewis went close to the safety car, then suddenly slowed, looked bad to me. Webber momentarily lead him, immediately before Vettel hit his car. Does anyone know for sure which inexperienced kid Mark was referring to in his infamous interview? Looking at the clip, I'd blame Lewis more than Vettel. I'm not sure how difficult it is to lead a field under safety car in the wet, but it's been done safely by several other drivers. A 10-place drop for China would be justifiable; disqualification from Japan probably not. Under the circumstances he's surely more deserving of a grid penalty than Vettel, who suffered several times over for his mistake.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:07 (Ref:2031014)   #243
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Because Bernie wants his final GP showdown, I can see Hamilton losing his points and being moved down the grid in China.

Punishment wouldn't really fit the crime, but it would make good entertainment!
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:10 (Ref:2031020)   #244
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is this reality TV or what?

If Lewis really had to be punished, do it because he deserves it. Not because Bernie wants a title fight.

Let the videos do the talking, let Webber and Vettel give statements... listen to the other drivers who experienced. If all those point to bad driving, then punish by all means. If not, leave Hamilton alone.

edit: seems like Webber and Button isn't too impressed.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:12 (Ref:2031022)   #245
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt_R
Is this reality TV or what?

If Lewis really had to be punished, do it because he deserves it. Not because Bernie wants a title fight.
It may not be reality TV but it is the F1 circus, with Bernie as its ringmaster. If he wants a close title fight, he'll do his best to make sure he gets one.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:16 (Ref:2031027)   #246
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then one has to be glad he isn't running a country...
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:16 (Ref:2031029)   #247
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bernie also wants his rookie champion.

The decision taken will not be due to title fights I'm sure.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:31 (Ref:2031046)   #248
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the video there are grounds for complaint - when watching the race I felt Lewis' behaviour behind the safety car was a little controversial. I can see the reasons why he was doing it as he needed to warm the brakes up but the way he went about it looked a bit dangerous and probably had something to do with the shunt that put Webber and Vettel out.

My arguement would be that why has it taken 4 days for any complaint to be lodged? If its due to video footage only just being obtained then surely there must be a ruling that says any protest must be made within a given time limit from the chequered flag? Otherwise this could turn out to be ludicrous and events that happened months/years ago could be changed due to the fact new footage had suddenly turned up long after the event.

I don't believe that they will change the Fuji result however I am expecting Lewis to receive a 10 place grid penalty this weekend - it sets a precident about behaviour behind the safety car and also allows Bernie to keep the title race open until Brazil.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2031058)   #249
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
looking at the video it does appear that hamilton did not abide by the regulations and keep within the 5 car length distance. also, it appears that he accellerated more than the safety car and then braked.
i can see either disqualification from japan or 10 places at the next race, but not both.
as for removing the youtube videos, i can see removing a video of a tv broadcast due to copyright laws, but not a personal video. i would have to do some further reading of the copyright laws.
found this on another site "While FOM can and does legitimately claim ownership of official Formula One broadcast footage, the copyright to private recordings is by law possessed by the owner of the recording device unless a separate agreement is reached."

Last edited by willb; 4 Oct 2007 at 16:41.
Old 4 Oct 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2031068)   #250
2fast
Rookie

2fast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 2 schools of thoughts here-

1. Vettle hit Webber- Vettle's fault.
2. Vettle hit Webber- Lewis's fault.

I think Poor vettle is at least 51% at fault no matter what. But the other 49% has be blamed on Lewis' driving. Not that he was erratic in his speed, but the fact that he went off, way off the line of path of the safty car. He was pratically off the track, and drop off speed as if he was coming to a full stop.

Let's say he did have a failure on the car, should Webber have followed right behind him and just waited there? no. So Lewis will be found quilty of unsafe driving behind safty car, and contribute to an accident. Fair punishment= 10 grid place down. Stripping him of the win is excessive and unlikely, because the victims are not championship contenders.