Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:55 (Ref:2121803)   #226
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I agree on the "Pastiche" view Somon,but I do think that if they had looked at a broader spectrum of the participating cars instead of just the upper end of racer,cars that viewers could possibly relate to,it would be quite a bit more watchable.What if they had stuck a camera in a mid-field car rather than mostly the front end of the grid,it would give more of an idea of what it's all about.So far I think that we have all been seen as a bunch of Hooray Henrys with far too much money that we dont know what to do with.

Like a Corvette Sting Ray perhaps? Road car in December 2006. Seats and interior stripped out, roll cage, race seat, belts and extinguisher fitted. And off we go racing with it. And finished where? 17th I believe.

Upper end of racer? No
Cars that viewers can relate to? Would have thought so although all the whingers on here about V8s perhaps not!
Mid field? 17th out of 36 cars.
Front end of the grid? No, started 30th I think it was.
Hooray Henry? Hardly. Simple kiwi lad.
Too much money? Hardly.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2121810)   #227
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a spontaneous response to Terence's post - a sort of personal dream team for such an enterprise, I guess. I cannot imagine that it would ever get to fruition!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:04 (Ref:2121819)   #228
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Like a Corvette Sting Ray perhaps? Road car in December 2006. Seats and interior stripped out, roll cage, race seat, belts and extinguisher fitted. And off we go racing with it. And finished where? 17th I believe.

Upper end of racer? No
Cars that viewers can relate to? Would have thought so although all the whingers on here about V8s perhaps not!
Mid field? 17th out of 36 cars.
Front end of the grid? No, started 30th I think it was.
Hooray Henry? Hardly. Simple kiwi lad.
Too much money? Hardly.
I shall watch where the needle goes next time,it obviously hit a nerve,the post was a generalisation,NOT aimed at any particular competitor Roger.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:18 (Ref:2121831)   #229
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I shall watch where the needle goes next time,it obviously hit a nerve,the post was a generalisation,NOT aimed at any particular competitor Roger.
As an aside,how many of the "Joe Public" viewers do you think could afford a Vette,let alone run one? That was my point.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2121841)   #230
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As an aside,how many of the "Joe Public" viewers do you think could afford a Vette,let alone run one? That was my point.
Going about it the way Roger has, I quite fancy having a go at one. I've been looking on the web recently and unless I am looking at totally the wrong years they aren't silly money like some other big yanks are.
Trouble is an impending property purchase may scupper my racing for a while,
and yes I consider that I am average Joe public.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 18:38 (Ref:2121851)   #231
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Keep digging.....

Cheaper to build than an FIA MGB and cheaper to run (if you exclude fuel and tyres which it seems to like in large quantities)!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2121914)   #232
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Cheaper? Tyres for a Vette for the Six Hour,you must be looking at £800,fuel,£300? Where-as for 3oo in the "B"=tyres and fuel.I rest my case.

As for Digging,I'm not coming down to NZ.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2121936)   #233
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Keep digging.....

Cheaper to build than an FIA MGB and cheaper to run (if you exclude fuel and tyres which it seems to like in large quantities)!
Did you read this Terry?
Old 5 Feb 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2121944)   #234
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Roger. He's just popped out to Specsavers !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Feb 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2121957)   #235
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iv watched em all [yawn} and none of its got me very excited. Mostly a bunch of overweight unfit hooray henrys with more money than sense.
"We love genuine period racing". Thats bullsh*t.They race Corvette Stingrays and arnt allowed to drive on the grass. Apart from the Aston drivers and the demon thieves brigade,Id like to see the rest of em drive Cadwell in the wet!!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2121963)   #236
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
guys

Guys, get over yourselves! It's a great programme; great races, great cars, great music, great people - thank goodness some of the boring old sods on this thread weren't involved. That really would have been a turn-off - even if they are average weight and height and salary!
Old 5 Feb 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2121965)   #237
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two
Guys, get over yourselves! It's a great programme; great races, great cars, great music, great people - thank goodness some of the boring old sods on this thread weren't involved. That really would have been a turn-off - even if they are average weight and height and salary!
At risk of getting a warn for an attack, "Great Music", you sad git.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 5 Feb 2008 at 21:35.
Old 5 Feb 2008, 22:30 (Ref:2122013)   #238
one-two
Racer

music

I meant it - I think the music's great
Old 6 Feb 2008, 08:40 (Ref:2122231)   #239
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think everyone is in agreement there are parts that each would do differently but the interesting thing is that TV production companies are starting to put it on their radar. This will ultimately make it easier for those of us who race on a shoestring budget to approach some friendly souls for sponsorshihp.....
Maybe the answer is for one or two of the ten tenthers involved in the world of media to come up with something better. Remember though rainy afternoons at Cadwell really dont make great telly to those who are not involved. The general public want a bit of style and glamour and dare I say it money which of course is why non petrolheads flock to Goodwood
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2122258)   #240
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
Roger. He's just popped out to Specsavers !
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2122261)   #241
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pretty much agree with most of that Simon, although, as a spectator, I love Cadwell and, surely whether TV can hit the spot, depends on where you site the cameras.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2122262)   #242
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to admit that I will be racing at Cadwell for the first time in a couple of minths and am looking forward to it having heard so much about it - however I guess the point is that you are a true enthusiast whereas the telly viewer is a casual observer looking to be entertained by more than good racing - think Motorsport rather than Autosport!
Old 6 Feb 2008, 19:12 (Ref:2122679)   #243
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's nice to see this thread has got a lot of people talking about stuff (other than Cadwell Park!!).

I prefer Historic racing to anything modern (I'm now 30, AAARRRGGHHH!!) but I always have anyway, but it's hugely mis-represented in the magazines and to me this new GT Racer just puts it in the magazine threads of Octane, etc, which aren't necessarily bad but just reflect very badly against people that put their heart and soul into it and I could easily name people from both sides of the coint and unfortunately I think with the programme it shows the shiny side of the coin; which; IMHO is a real shame because there is so much more to historic motor racing. (:ironiclaugh)
Old 6 Feb 2008, 19:47 (Ref:2122713)   #244
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Well put Gregor.There can only be so much camera time and I really do not think they are making the most of it.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2122857)   #245
one-two
Racer

stop moaning

Am I right in thinking that it's the same guys who don't like the programme who think that everyone else is cheating and that they are so much quicker than the rest of us? Put a proposal together, get the backing and make your own show: How I drove a bit of old schrapnel at Mallory twenty years ago but then it broke. Should be a winner. Or not.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 05:02 (Ref:2122992)   #246
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two
Am I right in thinking that it's the same guys who don't like the programme who think that everyone else is cheating and that they are so much quicker than the rest of us? Put a proposal together, get the backing and make your own show: How I drove a bit of old schrapnel at Mallory twenty years ago but then it broke. Should be a winner. Or not.
I think you've got the right formula here! Taking guidance from the board for the story line:

Its about a guy who owns a car worth no more than £5k (because it has to be real, right) and he prepares it himself which is tough as he only makes very little money (as thats more "real"). It would make it even better if he had a famous father! He tows it to every event himself and doesn't have anyone to help him at races. He scorns anyone and everyone as hes bitter and angry at the world, especially anyone with a car nicer than his. And any car faster than his is owned by a "hooray Henry cheque book racer" who is obviously cheating. And he drives Cadwell in the wet. With ABBA playing in the background.

Perfect!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 05:10 (Ref:2122993)   #247
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London

And here are the 2 main characters.......
Old 7 Feb 2008, 07:16 (Ref:2123021)   #248
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
How dare you post a photo of John Turner and myself without permission
Old 7 Feb 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2123068)   #249
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
I'll be there to drink with you Esper,hopefully there'll not be too many moans this year.I have to agree with Falcie et al,I know quite a few of the racers featured and guess what,they are all bloody nice blokes,ready for a bit of banter as MOST racers are.Just because some of them are perhaps a little more privileged than some,that is no excuse to knock them.
I think this needs re-reading.

Cadwell in the wet,?it has to be experienced first!
Old 7 Feb 2008, 09:13 (Ref:2123084)   #250
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
How dare you post a photo of John Turner and myself without permission

This is all getting a bit surreal!

I suppose that like everything else on the box, there will be those who think that it could be better (and I'm one!) but as one poster said, the fact that it is on there at all, is worthy of praise!