Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 20 Feb 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2637063)   #226
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I may be in the minority, but I would quite like to see him come back. If he's mellowed a bit he should have quite a lot to offer to a new team.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2637092)   #227
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally i have no strong feelings either way, i used to like his attitude although felt he dropped off in his last few years.

as long as it aint ralf im happy!
Old 20 Feb 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2637093)   #228
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The truth is, Jacques was a bit of a t***. There are no 2 ways about it, he was like a greedy, spoilt child, and i can see why people don't like him.

BUT, he was formula 1 world champion and to me, that qualifies him much better than Klien and even Ant, who still has yet to score a single point. He's done much more than De La Rosa, is the same age, so why should Pedro deserve a drive and him not?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 18:22 (Ref:2637201)   #229
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
so why should Pedro deserve a drive and him not?
Repsol,Telefonica and Santander.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2637204)   #230
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Repsol,Telefonica and Santander.
...who are none of the sponsors he has brought to Sauber
Old 20 Feb 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2637209)   #231
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, actually i can't talk because i'm currently listening to an album my Canadian aunt sent me and my brother over in 2007, something called "Private Paradise" and actually, i'm quite enjoying it, it's certainly better than Mika.

But back on topic, didn't Jacques have some Canadian sponsors lining up with him at one stage? or was that just a rumour? or am i just wrong?
Old 20 Feb 2010, 20:27 (Ref:2637252)   #232
herowassenna
Veteran

herowassenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I liked JV's outspokeness. So refreshing. In MotoGP yo have Rossi beaing outspoken all the time, expressing his character etc and he's loved worldwide.
JV I also liked, maybe because his father was a Ferrari legend, but I never particularly rated him. Jv not getting it on with the Nascar or sportscar world doesn't bother me, he wouldn't be the first open wheel racer that couldn't transfer his skills across to closed saloon car racing.
Throughout history there are countless cases of F1 drivers who could or couldn't drive elsewhere. Thierry Boutesn was never that good in a F1 car, or Brundle also, but both were lightning in World Endurance racing.
Put it this way, I'd rather JV in a seat than Ralf, funny how he was not mentioned in F1 circles till his brother returned...

Anyway, about the 4WDC
1) MS is a legend, won five times for my team and I loved it. I never particularly warmed to this man, or Todt but damn they were successful.
2) Alonso is driving for Ferrari now and I really can't wait. Any remaining questions about Alonso vs MS, view this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X3vZ...eature=related

or this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOPR-tsqbnc

I believe we have the best driver in the world now.

Hamilton I believe is the 2nd best currently.

Button made me yawn and will continue to do so. I love racers. Prost vs Senna...
Carl Fogarty vs anyone, Rossi vs Casey Stoner, who cried in 2008 about Rossi being nasty to him and actually overtaking him, boo hoo hoo.
I want to see these guys take my breath away, not send me to sleep.

Gilles is still a legend of F1, he only ever won 6 races and Scheckter won the WDC but which one is loved by the fans?? We all love seeing race drivers fighting for glory, not drive a technical lesson.
Old 20 Feb 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2637263)   #233
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As with Prost Buttons overtaking is superb and over the last year the bits that kept me awake. Whatever he, like the others, is a world champion. And the thread for that discussion is elsewhere.

But wait, JV! Yeah, lets have him back. I have no problem with JV, although it will be a nightmare round here.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 12:55 (Ref:2637646)   #234
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
personally i have no strong feelings either way, i used to like his attitude although felt he dropped off in his last few years.

as long as it aint ralf im happy!
I'd rather it was Ralf. But you knew I'd say that.

If Villeneuve comes back, I'll just have to mute the TV every time he's on it, otherwise I will have to throw things. It's not sensible or realistic to compare him comeing back with TGF coming back - TGF is a 7 time champion, who was still winning races right up until he retired. Jacques Villeneuve last won a race in 1997 and then proceeded to spend several years trundling around at the back and doing a good job of convincing everybody that he only won because he was driving the best car. I think he'd be better off concentrating on his music career...oh, but he wasn't very good at that either.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 21 Feb 2010, 13:46 (Ref:2637675)   #235
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
I think he'd be better off concentrating on his music career...oh, but he wasn't very good at that either.
Interestingly, I was reading earlier today that his one (and to date, only) album he released has sold a whopping 836 copies in North America at the end of 2007...

Maybe his fanbase is in Europe?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2637707)   #236
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Of course, I'm not trying to insert links to Jacques Villeneuve music videos in any thread that mentions him ...
Old 21 Feb 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2637721)   #237
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It really is terrible, isn't it?
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2637732)   #238
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Vaguement literally translated means Unclearly. The girl was hot and I liked the Cadillac convertible.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2637733)   #239
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Christ alive! Someone give him a drive, quick.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:34 (Ref:2637740)   #240
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It really is terrible, isn't it?
Well, there's worse. Just.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 16:52 (Ref:2637746)   #241
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Yeah but Aqua weren't trying to be serious...
Old 21 Feb 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2637748)   #242
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
These guys were.

On the topic, since quitting F1, Jacques has done two Le Mans (DNF in 2007, 2nd in 2008), several Speedcar rounds, the wellknown NASCAR trip and some rounds in Top Race V6. Supposedly he tested a Superleague Formula car as well, which some say is good preparation.

If Stefanovic does sign him, I think that's entirely academic, simply because I don't forsee Stefan GP getting allowed in. As much as Bernie may want them, the FIA do the entries.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 17:09 (Ref:2637752)   #243
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by csirl
A middle aged man pretending to be young and hip while languishing at the back of the grid because he cant drive without the now banned driver aids is car crash TV and not good for the image of F1.
Oh, live a little.

An aging former champ coming back with an unknown quantity (albeit with known quantity chassis and engine)? The same year as his (older) prime title protagonist from years gone by, whom, by some statistics, is the most successful F1 driver of all time, returns to the sport.

All the things you list as being evil I see as potentially wonderful (with the exception that I do not wish to see accidents).

If you went back a few years in my life, then I would likely have been totally with you: alas, I now view it all as being way less life-affectingly serious as I once did.

Last edited by Dutton; 21 Feb 2010 at 17:19.
Old 21 Feb 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2637871)   #244
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
I think there are worse options than him, certainly. It would be interesting to see him back to have another go, but I doubt he would be a regular points scorer. Of course, it would help with the Canadian GP.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2638189)   #245
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV to come back!!! Not even Sly Stallone could write a script that bad and thats the man who wrote 'Driven'.

Maybe he does come back and proves us all wrong and is really good, in which case i would apologise to him for my negativity but its not going to happen so no apology needed.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 12:23 (Ref:2638217)   #246
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTraces View Post
Maybe he does come back and proves us all wrong and is really good, in which case i would apologise to him for my negativity but its not going to happen so no apology needed.
I really doubt whether he cares if you do, or don't, as you're already adamant that he would fail.

Still, it's amusing to see the haters fall over themselves to get a few cheap shots at him.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 14:00 (Ref:2638262)   #247
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd like to see JV back and it can't do the sport any harm.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 15:08 (Ref:2638317)   #248
Senninha24
Rookie

United States
London, UK
Senninha24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'd like to see JV back and it can't do the sport any harm.
I say it can't do the sport any harm.

Seeing more and more of an older age balance coming in as well reminds me of GP days of old, so that's not bad. Also the fight between the experienced and the young talent is intriguing.

Sure I wouldn't mind seeing him give it YET another go, as long as he doesn't get in the way of the real championship battles, unless he wants to have a go at it
Old 22 Feb 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2638486)   #249
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really hope US F1 have the sense to pull out with dignity and let Stefan GP in now, be wonderful to see JV back.
Old 22 Feb 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2638520)   #250
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
any other Canadians you dont like or is just our musicians