Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 6 Apr 2012, 03:01 (Ref:3054326)   #226
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Well with the V10 Viper we could have this sort of malarky go on....

Viper - 8.0L V10
Corvette - 7.0L V8
Ferrari - 6.0L V12
Aston - 6.0L V12
Porsche - 4.0L I6 TT
Looks like GT1 of old.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 03:27 (Ref:3054330)   #227
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, Ironically.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 04:17 (Ref:3054338)   #228
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the cars are now lapping about as fast as the GT1s did at most tracks I don't see why we can't make them go even faster (to the disdain of the P2 drivers).
Old 6 Apr 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3054341)   #229
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Well with the V10 Viper we could have this sort of malarky go on....

Viper - 8.0L V10
Corvette - 7.0L V8
Ferrari - 6.0L V12
Aston - 6.0L V12
Porsche - 4.0L I6 TT

Etc, the 'green' part would be made up for with the cars being allowed such things as DFI and with a possible increase in power (500hp minimum?) they'd be alot faster and so would look alot flashier on TV atleast.

Just a small correction: the Porsche turbo engine is 3.8L and not the 4.0L that is in the GT3RS 4.0
Old 6 Apr 2012, 05:40 (Ref:3054342)   #230
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
On the contrary i think Porsche and Ferrari are what have kept GT going. Everyone else has come and gone. Corvette is only in its 3rd year ever in GT2. Porsche and Ferrari need no introduction. They go way back.
Indeed!
Like most, I would love to see a quicker, more powerful GT class up and running, but I am not convinced some of the manufacturers would go for it. I suspect Porsche (having made a sound business model from their GT program) are not very interested in having costs climb to levels that would make it difficult to sell cars to clients.

On the other hand, I suspect that they would be very interested in showcasing and further developing their turbo technology, so I suspect that if the ACO/FiA looked once again, favorably on turbo's , then a strong business case can be made by Weissach to the board in Zuffenhausen.

Last edited by Spyderman; 6 Apr 2012 at 05:49.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 06:52 (Ref:3054348)   #231
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
How much is it to run a DTM team? Or a SuperGT team? Is it a lot more than GTE teams? They seem to me to be good for a type of future 'GT'.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 06:53 (Ref:3054349)   #232
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I would suggest its a lot more expensive , as the cars are a lot more radical .
Old 6 Apr 2012, 06:57 (Ref:3054351)   #233
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Well wasn't the ACO debating on allowing Carbon chassis' on the cars? Then hybrids being allowed as well? The Porsche 918 springs to mind.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 06:58 (Ref:3054352)   #234
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Well wasn't the ACO debating on allowing Carbon chassis' on the cars? Then hybrids being allowed as well? The Porsche 918 springs to mind.
They've allowed carbon chassis already to try and get McLaren to build a GTE car, hasn't worked yet...
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3054356)   #235
TF110
Veteran

United States
McLaren's MP4 has a carbon tub I thought. Not the whole chassis? But if they have allowed it, what other makes would consider entering? And what about Spyker?
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:21 (Ref:3054358)   #236
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
McLaren's MP4 has a carbon tub I thought. Not the whole chassis? But if they have allowed it, what other makes would consider entering? And what about Spyker?

Both the 918 and the MP4 12C are carbon fiber monocoques.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3054361)   #237
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If any of the hints are to be believed McLaren will return to ACO style GT racing next year.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:34 (Ref:3054363)   #238
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Both the 918 and the MP4 12C are carbon fiber monocoques.
Aston Martin One-77, Lamborghini Aventador, Lexus LFA, McLaren SLR, Pagani, Koenigsegg, ...

Last edited by gwyllion; 7 Apr 2012 at 16:41.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:37 (Ref:3054364)   #239
TF110
Veteran

United States
I guess it being a carbon tub is the same as it being a carbon monocoque. I wonder if any makes will take advantage of this?
Old 6 Apr 2012, 07:47 (Ref:3054365)   #240
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
I guess it being a carbon tub is the same as it being a carbon monocoque. I wonder if any makes will take advantage of this?
I think a carbon tub is a carbon monocoque but it is usualy referenced as a spec chassis that you bold different bodystyles on, like DTM.

enzo and enzo's successor also have carbon fiber chassis, but I don't think that GTE class would be the right place to race these cars, the costs would quicly go through the roof..for the whole series...And its pointless to run enzos and 918 in a class where BoP will make BMW z4 on par with them
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 6 Apr 2012, 08:06 (Ref:3054370)   #241
TF110
Veteran

United States
I get it now. Seemed to me that the MP4 12C has a carbon tub and not the whole chassis. Also, the costs would be high and useless for cars competing with 40K sedans, unless they move the GT's up in terms of performance and technology. With the future of the class up in the air it seems, who knows how it will play out.
Old 20 May 2012, 13:12 (Ref:3076827)   #242
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's be very optimistic. Some rumours and speculation.

Audi R8
Maybe only for ALMS. But you never know, considering the Motorsport-Total article, although they didn't mention Audi.

Bentley Continental
Rumours from early this year. There's a road version with a V8 since this year.

BMW Z4
Lots of rumours. The motorsport-total article specifically says that FIA and ACO are in talks with BMW (and Mercedes and McLaren). Probably 2014, little chance for 2013.

Cadillac ???
If it's true that Corvette will go to the prototypes and Cadillac will go to the GT category, then this is possible.

Corvette C7
Personally, I think there will be a GTE version of the C7. If Corvette will go to the prototypes, then I don't know.

Ford GT
Lambda already have Matech Ford GTE version ready. But there's not a single team racing it.

Honda NSX
Honda expressed their desire to race at Le Mans in 2015 with the NSX.

Hyundai Genesis
Austech Motorsport said that they also want to make a GTE version, besides the Grand-Am and GT3 version. Which year they're targeting, no idea.

Lamborghini Gallardo
If I remember correctly, there were some rumours early this year about Reiter or Lamborghini themselves to make a GT2 version.

Lexus LF-A
We all saw the picture about the LF-A GTE. If it will race, we just have to wait and see.

Lotus Esprit
When Lotus announced that they were developing the Evora GTE. They also announced a second GTE version. Could also be the Elite or the Elan.

McLaren MP4-12C
Rumours since they announced the car. Motorsport-Total article also mentions this car. ACO even adjusted the GTE rules to include Carbon Monocoques, which the MP4-12C is using.

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Same as the BMW Z4 and McLaren MP4-12C.

Porsche 911 GT3 (991)
Highly likely that Porsche will make a GTE car from their new 911.

Spyker Aileron
Announced early 2011 that they're developing a GTE version for 2012. Because of the Saab adventure it was probably put on hold. Maybe with some funding developing can continue.

We will already see the SRT Viper in a few weeks time. If we're very very very optimistic we can expect a lot of new GTE cars.

Cars I didn't mentioned:
Jaguar C-X16
Ford ??? (if Ford will go with a factory team)
Nissan GT-R
Old 20 May 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3076869)   #243
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be very surprised if the GT-R will enter in the GTE class, but for Ford and GM (Chevrolet and Cadillac)... They need to plan now on making a supercar other than the Mustang and the Camaro, respectively, since the Viper is returning to the GTE class!
Old 20 May 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3076877)   #244
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg View Post
Let's be very optimistic. Some rumours and speculation.

Audi R8
Maybe only for ALMS. But you never know, considering the Motorsport-Total article, although they didn't mention Audi.

unlikely, too much rumors of audi return in ALMS (last year rumor was the abt team with 2 r18 in ALMS) but nothing concrete. Then a gt3 turned in a gt2/e has never been a success.

Bentley Continental
Rumours from early this year. There's a road version with a V8 since this year.

i think that is already unrealistic a gt3 version

BMW Z4
Lots of rumours. The motorsport-total article specifically says that FIA and ACO are in talks with BMW (and Mercedes and McLaren). Probably 2014, little chance for 2013.

the z4 gt3 is one of the cars with the best aero, very wide, with the p65 of m3 gt2 and some aero update could be a revelation in gte.

Cadillac ???
If it's true that Corvette will go to the prototypes and Cadillac will go to the GT category, then this is possible.

unrealistic

Corvette C7
Personally, I think there will be a GTE version of the C7. If Corvette will go to the prototypes, then I don't know.

until there will be a corvette on the street, there always be one on the track! no doubts in my opinion that there will be a P&M C7R gte

Ford GT
Lambda already have Matech Ford GTE version ready. But there's not a single team racing it.

none intersted, robertson family doesn't run anymore with their doran ford gt.

Honda NSX
Honda expressed their desire to race at Le Mans in 2015 with the NSX.

the new generation of nsx street cars never saw the light, if there will be a next one, surely honda will be more intersted in a GT500 version than a gte.

Hyundai Genesis
Austech Motorsport said that they also want to make a GTE version, besides the Grand-Am and GT3 version. Which year they're targeting, no idea.

hyundai doesn't produce GT cars...

Lamborghini Gallardo
If I remember correctly, there were some rumours early this year about Reiter or Lamborghini themselves to make a GT2 version.

the lp560-4 GT2 exist, it was a masked gt3 car, has been used in 2 race by west racing last year in ALMS, a total failure.

Lexus LF-A
We all saw the picture about the LF-A GTE. If it will race, we just have to wait and see.

lf-a gte exist, but i doubt that will run in future.... very probably there will be a racing gt500 in next future.

Lotus Esprit
When Lotus announced that they were developing the Evora GTE. They also announced a second GTE version. Could also be the Elite or the Elan.

please, not another lotus gte...

McLaren MP4-12C
Rumours since they announced the car. Motorsport-Total article also mentions this car. ACO even adjusted the GTE rules to include Carbon Monocoques, which the MP4-12C is using.

if mclaren automotive increases the annual production, the car could run in ACO competitions without a regulamentation change. In my opinion mclaren is not intersted in a gte version, because the production of gt3 mp4-12c was just for selling to private teams

Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Same as the BMW Z4 and McLaren MP4-12C.

here too more than once was rumored a sls gte... don't know how much mercedes will be intersted because the car need a huge rework on weight and for a new engine.

Porsche 911 GT3 (991)
Highly likely that Porsche will make a GTE car from their new 911.

surely there will be a 991 GT3 RSR

Spyker Aileron
Announced early 2011 that they're developing a GTE version for 2012. Because of the Saab adventure it was probably put on hold. Maybe with some funding developing can continue.

last year spyker reported that was developing a gt3 aileron for a customer program, no news since then...

We will already see the SRT Viper in a few weeks time. If we're very very very optimistic we can expect a lot of new GTE cars.

Cars I didn't mentioned:
Jaguar C-X16
Ford ??? (if Ford will go with a factory team)
Nissan GT-R
in my opinion GTE cars will be expected only if used by a work team of a manufacter...
Old 20 May 2012, 15:52 (Ref:3076888)   #245
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
in my opinion GTE cars will be expected only if used by a work team of a manufacter...
While GT3 will be consists of privateers... That way, there's no need for Pro and Pro-Am.
Old 20 May 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3076899)   #246
alexkiller8
Veteran

no, because some manufacters like bmw and audi use gt3 cars for their work team. I told about work teams because have the budget to run these year by year more expensive cars.
Old 20 May 2012, 20:17 (Ref:3076992)   #247
Dario911
Veteran

Italy
Somewhere in the world...
Dario911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
no, because some manufacters like bmw and audi use gt3 cars for their work team. I told about work teams because have the budget to run these year by year more expensive cars.
Works team may not be accepted in GT3, because this rises up costs, in a class originally intended for private teams.
But if you deny to race to a works team, manufacturer may fully support a private team, making very hard to distinguish a works team by a fully supported one.
They may coincide, in some cases.
In example, Vitaphone, AF Corse, Felbermayr, etc. are all private teams, but fully supported by respective manufacturers. Corvette Racing and BMW Motorsports are works teams. But if you look at their competencies and results, they are only slightly different!
Le Mans, 23/06/2013, 15:00, Allan we miss you!
Porsche 1°-2° in GTE-Pro class with 991 GT3 RSR
Porsche 1st. place in GTE-Am class with 997 GT3 RSR
Old 20 May 2012, 20:27 (Ref:3076996)   #248
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
the lp560-4 GT2 exist, it was a masked gt3 car, has been used in 2 race by west racing last year in ALMS, a total failure.
Yes, I know. But I meant a new version.

Quote:
hyundai doesn't produce GT cars...
The Genesis is according to the ACO GTE regulations, considered as a GT car.

Quote:
last year spyker reported that was developing a gt3 aileron for a customer program, no news since then...
At the same time they announced a Aileron GTE.
Old 20 May 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3077002)   #249
TF110
Veteran

United States
Vasselon stated the LFA GTE was on the backburner. I think the future of the class influences manufacturers decisions. Who knows what it'll be.
Old 20 May 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3077025)   #250
alexkiller8
Veteran

i think that more than future of the class, it will depend by the future of ts030...
(to avoid troumbles, could someone tell me if this forum is available a ignore function?)