Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 11 May 2023, 17:40 (Ref:4155589)   #226
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
over the last five years name those cars and drivers that have had the boost changed once or twice every year apart from those two i mentioned
This is what I found with a quick search. You already mentioned the Subaru. I seem to remember there being other examples but I could be wrong.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...38540/4438540/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...49311/4449311/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...62775/4462775/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...86294/4986294/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...78901/4978901/

Edit: Sorry, that's over more than five years, but that was your condition, not mine.

Last edited by hen henths; 11 May 2023 at 17:48.
Old 11 May 2023, 18:29 (Ref:4155602)   #227
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
This is what I found with a quick search. You already mentioned the Subaru. I seem to remember there being other examples but I could be wrong.

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...38540/4438540/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...49311/4449311/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...62775/4462775/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...86294/4986294/

https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...78901/4978901/

Edit: Sorry, that's over more than five years, but that was your condition, not mine.
so in ten years (thats nearly 300 cars) you found 5 examples
one was the unique lpg cars one was pre season and one was teams asking for changes (but no actual change)

so only two real examples of mid season changes in ten years other than the scoobies and new toca engine I mentioned

not much is it?
Old 11 May 2023, 18:35 (Ref:4155604)   #228
hen henths
Racer

Quote:
so in ten years you found 5 examples
one was the unique lpg cars one was pre season and one was teams asking for changes (but no actual change)

so only two real examples of mid season changes in ten years other than the scoobies and new toca engine

not much is it?
OK fine. I'm willing to admit I might have developed an exaggerated impression of how often it happens. I did think there were other instances but I'm not going to trawl the web for hours looking for examples. I think part of it is my not realising just how many years have gone by.
Old 11 May 2023, 19:42 (Ref:4155609)   #229
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User is flirting with disqualificationpeebee2 User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
OK fine. I'm willing to admit I might have developed an exaggerated impression of how often it happens. I did think there were other instances but I'm not going to trawl the web for hours looking for examples. I think part of it is my not realising just how many years have gone by.
There's other examples, but they don't always become public knowledge.
Old 12 May 2023, 07:32 (Ref:4155642)   #230
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boost levels are adjusted during a season, but it usually only becomes public knowledge when a team or driver mentions it during an interview
Old 12 May 2023, 08:05 (Ref:4155643)   #231
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Why would TOCA adjust boost levels? Everybody seems to be saying the Ford chassis is on rails and that's not power
I have to agree with you here looking at the speed traps at Brands Hatch there wasn’t one focus topping the speed traps in any of the 3 races which is showing how good the focus is round the corners. It’s actually the Hyundai’s that are topping most speed traps in the races
Old 12 May 2023, 08:15 (Ref:4155644)   #232
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
since 2015 you found 5 examples that have been publicised.

so only two publicised examples of mid season changes in eight years other than the scoobies and new toca engine I mentioned
FTFY

Here's the reality....

Boost calculations were introduced with the NGTC regulations for the 2011 season as a rolling system by car/chassis.

In 2012, the teams agreed to a tweak of the lap time-based turbo boost adjustments for competing cars in 2013 onwards:
The amount of change would be reduced;
Boost adjustments would be applied to either individual drivers not per car type/chassis as in 2012;
The frequency in which the adjustments are calculated was to reduce from the 'rolling two-event' average.
The regular in-season adjustments where then dropped for the 2015 season onwards, but adjustments still continued to be made after rounds 9 and 18 each season (and as and when required by the administrator).

In 2018, this changed again to be a continual review of boost levels, with adjustments made as soon as required (by the administrator).

As to the exact number of adjustments that have been made - you would need access to the TOCA technical bulletin system to confirm, and that information is not in the public domain.

What is definite though is that significantly more adjustments than the ones you refer to have been implemented.
Old 12 May 2023, 08:19 (Ref:4155645)   #233
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I certainly prefer the hybrid boost system to the weight penalty. At least it's easier for teams to get round it and still be competitive.
Old 12 May 2023, 09:13 (Ref:4155653)   #234
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
There's other examples, but they don't always become public knowledge.
Don't start the conspiracy theory again! There is absolutely no proof to support this
Old 12 May 2023, 09:25 (Ref:4155655)   #235
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Don't start the conspiracy theory again! There is absolutely no proof to support this
Take the following line from an article related to BTCC boost adjustments published in 2017:

'Usually, any turbo boost adjustments are made to cars after each three rounds, once data has been analysed by BTCC technical bosses.'
Old 12 May 2023, 09:31 (Ref:4155658)   #236
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
FTFY

Here's the reality....

Boost calculations were introduced with the NGTC regulations for the 2011 season as a rolling system by car/chassis.

In 2012, the teams agreed to a tweak of the lap time-based turbo boost adjustments for competing cars in 2013 onwards:
The amount of change would be reduced;
Boost adjustments would be applied to either individual drivers not per car type/chassis as in 2012;
The frequency in which the adjustments are calculated was to reduce from the 'rolling two-event' average.
The regular in-season adjustments where then dropped for the 2015 season onwards, but adjustments still continued to be made after rounds 9 and 18 each season (and as and when required by the administrator).

In 2018, this changed again to be a continual review of boost levels, with adjustments made as soon as required (by the administrator).

As to the exact number of adjustments that have been made - you would need access to the TOCA technical bulletin system to confirm, and that information is not in the public domain.

What is definite though is that significantly more adjustments than the ones you refer to have been implemented.
you really think that if some drivers and teams had their boost changed during the season that they would not have told their fans or media? its complete nonsense to think that all the hundreds of people who work for the teams would not have leaked out that info

thats straight into the conspiracy theory again
Old 12 May 2023, 09:47 (Ref:4155661)   #237
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
you really think that if some drivers and teams had their boost changed during the season that they would not have told their fans or media? its complete nonsense to think that all the hundreds of people who work for the teams would not have leaked out that info

OK - so if the fact that TOCA has gone on record to state that adjustments are 'usually made after each three rounds', and Gow has said that 'We look at all the data and make assessments as necessary. If there’s a tweak that’s necessary, it gets done.' still means the adjustments are a conspiracy theory, then there is little else that can be said?

In 2019 alone, every car was subjected to a change in boost level during the season with changes being made after rounds 9 and 15.
Old 12 May 2023, 09:57 (Ref:4155662)   #238
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
OK - so if the fact that TOCA has gone on record to state that adjustments are 'usually made after each three rounds', and Gow has said that 'We look at all the data and make assessments as necessary. If there’s a tweak that’s necessary, it gets done.' still means the adjustments are a conspiracy theory, then there is little else that can be said?

In 2019 alone, every car was subjected to a change in boost level during the season with changes being made after rounds 9 and 15.
your exactly underlining my point

they put that option into place and announced it publicly so there is no cloak and daggers about their ability to do it

so show me how many times they have actually used that option to make some drivers and cars less or more competitive. the only example you gave is when they adjusted EVERY car to reduce lap times
Old 12 May 2023, 10:43 (Ref:4155664)   #239
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Drivers and teams HAVE told the media and fans about it.

Why do you think there is always lots of discussion about boost levels?
Old 12 May 2023, 10:45 (Ref:4155665)   #240
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
so show me how many times they have actually used that option to make some drivers and cars less or more competitive. the only example you gave is when they adjusted EVERY car to reduce lap times
The problem is that the majority of bulletins are not releasable to the public. It is just something that you can choose to accept or not.

You've been informed that a lot of the changes are not made public, and team members abide by that direction. If you continue to not accept that fact, there is nothing else that anyone can post here to the contrary.
  • Changes are notified to competitors via bulletin.
  • The press has reported on how often these changes usually occur.
  • Gow has confirmed that when changes are required, they are made.

Feel free to dismiss it as 'conspiracy', but you are only deluding yourself.
Old 12 May 2023, 11:07 (Ref:4155667)   #241
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
The problem is that the majority of bulletins are not releasable to the public. It is just something that you can choose to accept or not.

You've been informed that a lot of the changes are not made public, and team members abide by that direction. If you continue to not accept that fact, there is nothing else that anyone can post here to the contrary.
  • Changes are notified to competitors via bulletin.
  • The press has reported on how often these changes usually occur.
  • Gow has confirmed that when changes are required, they are made.

Feel free to dismiss it as 'conspiracy', but you are only deluding yourself.
i deal in facts

and that fact is that they have publicly clearly stated they would make changes if necessary so they are not hiding from that

and the fact is that they have not done so other than the small examples mentioned otherwise they would have announced it

so why would they hide them if they have already publicly announced they would make changes when necessary and issue it in bulletins

your consiparcy theory is that there are lots of boost changes going on behind the scenes yet not one driver or team manager or team owner (past or present) has said thay have had it done to them other than those examples given

if it makes you happy then you keep believeing your nudge nudge wink wink conspiracy theory and I will keep believing in the facts

have a nice day
Old 12 May 2023, 12:15 (Ref:4155669)   #242
hen henths
Racer

Oops what a wriggly big can o' worms I seem to have opened here!

As I said I do seem to have vague recollections of other instances of boost adjustments being discussed or possibly alluded to.

For example I have a memory of Neal in a TV interview years ago talking about the Dynamics Hondas being off the pace in a sort of resigned philosophical way, like this is where we are at the moment, which I guessed could have been alluding to boost levels but I admit that's conjecture on my part. Unfortunately I have no practical way to find what year that was or exactly what was said.
Old 12 May 2023, 12:21 (Ref:4155670)   #243
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
i deal in facts

and that fact is that they have publicly clearly stated they would make changes if necessary so they are not hiding from that

and the fact is that they have not done so other than the small examples mentioned otherwise they would have announced it

so why would they hide them if they have already publicly announced they would make changes when necessary and issue it in bulletins

your consiparcy theory is that there are lots of boost changes going on behind the scenes yet not one driver or team manager or team owner (past or present) has said thay have had it done to them other than those examples given

if it makes you happy then you keep believeing your nudge nudge wink wink conspiracy theory and I will keep believing in the facts

have a nice day
Not a fact. TOCA do make changes and drivers do grumble about it.
Old 12 May 2023, 12:23 (Ref:4155672)   #244
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Not a fact. TOCA do make changes and drivers do grumble about it.
ok then show me the facts of where or when they made boost changes to some cars during the season without it being public knowledge
Old 12 May 2023, 12:56 (Ref:4155681)   #245
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Drivers and teams HAVE told the media and fans about it.

Why do you think there is always lots of discussion about boost levels?
No they haven't they have wined about it and nodded and winked to suggest their performance is just about getting shafted
Old 12 May 2023, 13:00 (Ref:4155683)   #246
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
ok then show me the facts of where or when they made boost changes to some cars during the season without it being public knowledge
You need to define what you mean by that.

If you mean where changes are made without TOCA releasing the details publicly, then that would apply to all the changes since TOCA only release those details via a Technical Bulletin to the teams which isn't publicly available.

If you mean where changes are made but the team/driver do not publicly talk about those changes, then it would be impossible to supply those details since they have never been made public.
Old 12 May 2023, 13:21 (Ref:4155690)   #247
antnee
Veteran

Quote:
Go and trawl through the TV footage of the last 5-7 seasons, you will find plenty of drivers mentioning it.
Old 12 May 2023, 13:24 (Ref:4155691)   #248
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
You need to define what you mean by that.

If you mean where changes are made without TOCA releasing the details publicly, then that would apply to all the changes since TOCA only release those details via a Technical Bulletin to the teams which isn't publicly available.

If you mean where changes are made but the team/driver do not publicly talk about those changes, then it would be impossible to supply those details since they have never been made public.
they made a couple of boost changes during the last two years and publicly acknowledged them

so those are the facts

and all you can rely on is the old wink wink nudge nudge conspiracy theory and cannot back it up with any facts
Old 12 May 2023, 13:27 (Ref:4155693)   #249
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Please stop. None of this is adding any useful information to the thread.

Old 12 May 2023, 13:30 (Ref:4155694)   #250
touring fan01
Veteran

Quote:
Go and trawl through the TV footage of the last 5-7 seasons, you will find plenty of drivers mentioning it.
there are always drivers complaining they have not got enough power or another car has too much power

that happens in all series

but show me where a team or driver has said they had their boost turned up or down and toca have not acknowledged it publicly