Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Aug 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4172866)   #226
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
OK, but is there a similar program or channel where you can watch the other races?
yes

all the support races are also shown on itv4 on their dedicated motorsport UK programme which is only for the btcc support races

this is the listings for august

http://www.dvber.co.uk/ITV/Motorsport+UK
Old 15 Aug 2023, 13:12 (Ref:4172871)   #227
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Although the races they show on Motorsport UK tend to be a meeting or two behind
Old 15 Aug 2023, 13:36 (Ref:4172874)   #228
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
yes

all the support races are also shown on itv4 on their dedicated motorsport UK programme which is only for the btcc support races

this is the listings for august

http://www.dvber.co.uk/ITV/Motorsport+UK
Wonderful - thanks for your help.
Old 15 Aug 2023, 19:30 (Ref:4172909)   #229
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was an exciting weekend's racing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we had any track limits penalties either.

Tingram's ride height penalty was obviously disappointing though perhaps not as disastrous as when it happened to both him and Ash in 2018 - because this time there are still three race weekends to go compared to just two in 2018, so he can make up the ground if Ash has some more bad luck (Speaking of which, Tingram's had a lot less of that this year so maybe we shouldn't be too surprised his luck ran out this time. At least if we call it luck).

John Cleland gave the best explanation of the ride heights I'd seen on TV. He was saying in the dry the teams usually set it right to the limit and then when the drivers pick up marbles at the end of the race it makes up for ride height losses due to tyre wear. He said on a wet track they can't really pick up the marbles.

It seems to me there needs to be a ride height limit and the teams know the rules and take a calculated risk by running the car as low as they think they can get away with. I suppose on the other hand the field is so close they may feel like they have no choice but to run it right on the limit to stay competitive. It would be interesting to know how much a lap time changes by raising it a few millimetres.

I'm sad to see Turks so far down the order. Cookie on the other hand is finally back up the sharp end - could 2024 be his year?
Old 15 Aug 2023, 20:59 (Ref:4172914)   #230
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post
That was an exciting weekend's racing. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we had any track limits penalties either.

In the dry part during qualifying, quite a lot of drivers had times deleted for track limit infringements. And during Race 3, Sutton, at least, was shown the black and white flag as a final warning although I also don't believe any penalties for that were given.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 09:20 (Ref:4172965)   #231
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The nature of Knockhill with it's dips and rises, high kerbs and big gravel traps mean drivers can punish themselves enough if they go too wide. And if it's been, the grass is certainly not what you want to go on. So no surprise we didn't really hear anything about track limits during the meeting
Old 16 Aug 2023, 09:22 (Ref:4172969)   #232
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
The nature of Knockhill with it's dips and rises, high kerbs and big gravel traps mean drivers can punish themselves enough if they go too wide. And if it's been, the grass is certainly not what you want to go on. So no surprise we didn't really hear anything about track limits during the meeting
Apart from all the lap time deletions that is.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 10:09 (Ref:4172974)   #233
S griffin
Veteran

I meant during the race. Obviously you are more likely to push to the edge in quali
Old 16 Aug 2023, 10:19 (Ref:4172978)   #234
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I meant during the race. Obviously you are more likely to push to the edge in quali

As I said yesterday, mention was made about Sutton getting a final warning, however just because other names weren't mentioned doesn't mean that there weren't also warnings to other drivers as well.. His name came up, I would assume, because he was leading and trying to maintain a good lead over a fast approaching Cook.

Possibly unfortunately, the judicial reports that are made public do not include drivers that are shown the black and white flag.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 10:21 (Ref:4172980)   #235
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Plenty of lap times are deleted in races, although it's moot whether there's much point in it.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 10:24 (Ref:4172981)   #236
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Plenty of lap times are deleted in races, although it's moot whether there's much point in it.
To clarify, what I think is being said here was that apart from the mention of Sutton being shown the naughty flag, there were no other mentions of track limit infractions during any of the races (at Knockhill).
Old 16 Aug 2023, 11:08 (Ref:4172983)   #237
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To clarify, what I think is being said here was that apart from the mention of Sutton being shown the naughty flag, there were no other mentions of track limit infractions during any of the races (at Knockhill).

Actually, now that I come to think about it, I think that Hill and possibly Turkington got dishonourable mentions during the course of the day for track limit infringements, not necessarily in the last race.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 12:14 (Ref:4172985)   #238
hen henths
Racer

hen henths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Actually, now that I come to think about it, I think that Hill and possibly Turkington got dishonourable mentions during the course of the day for track limit infringements, not necessarily in the last race.
Thanks. As for qualifying, I missed it this time, though I might still give it a watch as the coverage is a lot more interesting this year.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 14:59 (Ref:4173000)   #239
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

That’s exactly what I meant. And it makes a nice change to not have track limits arguments, warnings and penalties come up during most of the race
Old 16 Aug 2023, 15:49 (Ref:4173011)   #240
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
That’s exactly what I meant. And it makes a nice change to not have track limits arguments, warnings and penalties come up during most of the race

I think that you may be missing the point; just because commentators don't mention something, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. What that means is that even if they didn't comment on track limit warnings given to drivers, it doesn't necessarily follow that those warnings were not given.

We just won't know because they don't come up in the judicial reports; that only happens when a potential penalty needs to be considered.
Old 16 Aug 2023, 17:27 (Ref:4173026)   #241
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They were shown black/white flags on the circuit boards for sure.

Black/white flags were extremely common during the support events. F4 in particular had one up each lap
Old 16 Aug 2023, 23:14 (Ref:4173052)   #242
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
I think that you may be missing the point; just because commentators don't mention something, doesn't mean that it didn't happen. What that means is that even if they didn't comment on track limit warnings given to drivers, it doesn't necessarily follow that those warnings were not given.

We just won't know because they don't come up in the judicial reports; that only happens when a potential penalty needs to be considered.

I’m not missing the point. I’m just saying how refreshing it was not to be reminded of track limits every two laps
Old 17 Aug 2023, 20:09 (Ref:4173145)   #243
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I’m not missing the point. I’m just saying how refreshing it was not to be reminded of track limits every two laps
To be fair they only really mention them during quali. I don't recall a lot of mentions during races.
Old 17 Aug 2023, 20:12 (Ref:4173147)   #244
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
To be fair they only really mention them during quali. I don't recall a lot of mentions during races.
Only once during the races that I can remember, and that was Sutton in race 3.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 09:47 (Ref:4173197)   #245
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hen henths View Post

Tingram's ride height penalty was obviously disappointing though perhaps not as disastrous as when it happened to both him and Ash in 2018 - because this time there are still three race weekends to go compared to just two in 2018, so he can make up the ground if Ash has some more bad luck (Speaking of which, Tingram's had a lot less of that this year so maybe we shouldn't be too surprised his luck ran out this time. At least if we call it luck).

John Cleland gave the best explanation of the ride heights I'd seen on TV. He was saying in the dry the teams usually set it right to the limit and then when the drivers pick up marbles at the end of the race it makes up for ride height losses due to tyre wear. He said on a wet track they can't really pick up the marbles.

It seems to me there needs to be a ride height limit and the teams know the rules and take a calculated risk by running the car as low as they think they can get away with. I suppose on the other hand the field is so close they may feel like they have no choice but to run it right on the limit to stay competitive. It would be interesting to know how much a lap time changes by raising it a few millimetres.

I'm sad to see Turks so far down the order. Cookie on the other hand is finally back up the sharp end - could 2024 be his year?
From what they were saying trackside, it’s largely down to the diameter of the wet tyres being smaller than the dry ones, so every single car on the grid would have been in the same position but only the top 3 are checked for ride height.

The team would normally adjust the ride height before the race when they knew the start would be wet but the first race was dry and sunny at the start, the rain arrived out of the blue.

I think the problem was that not everybody changed tyres during the race. If they all had, and everyone had infringed the rules despite not being checked, the result may have stood.

I don’t really understand how a bespoke tyre is not the correct diameter though.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 09:58 (Ref:4173198)   #246
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
From what they were saying trackside, it’s largely down to the diameter of the wet tyres being smaller than the dry ones, so every single car on the grid would have been in the same position but only the top 3 are checked for ride height.

The team would normally adjust the ride height before the race when they knew the start would be wet but the first race was dry and sunny at the start, the rain arrived out of the blue.

I think the problem was that not everybody changed tyres during the race. If they all had, and everyone had infringed the rules despite not being checked, the result may have stood.

I don’t really understand how a bespoke tyre is not the correct diameter though.
I questioned this in this thread and it was said that the tyre likely was the correct diameter, but as it dried, there was so much wear that it caused the issue.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 10:27 (Ref:4173200)   #247
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’ve just looked back through the thread and seen. Makes sense that could happen.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 10:46 (Ref:4173201)   #248
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
All cars are subject to scrutineering after each race; other than the first 3, the rest are done whilst in parc ferme out of site. I think that it was at Thruxton, this was caught on camera from the ITV studio as the parc ferme area was directly behind Steve Rider, and the ride height roller was in use with the parked up cars.
Old 18 Aug 2023, 10:53 (Ref:4173203)   #249
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the same team (excelr8) also got thrown off the podium at donington for exactly the same thing and not adjusting their ride height on ronan pearsons car from the dry to wet tyres

they obviously very slow learners
Old 6 Sep 2023, 06:25 (Ref:4175349)   #250
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Just catching up on a few interviews, and Jelley has pointed out that the BMWs do not run as low a ride height as the FWD cars, so when they switch tyres they do not have to adjust.