Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:19 (Ref:2088220)   #226
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan
Etiene van der Linde.
Funnily enough I was thinking about his name yesterday but forgot to post it?

He ended up doing random Italian 3000 races and faded from the scene. I thought he had a fantastic natural talent....

Think he faced people lke Danilo Rossi (whatever happened to the main man in karting for many years?) and Gianluca Calcgani, who ruined his own career by running into the back of people during a safety car period at Imola one year IIRC. Both of them had far more talent than they ever ended up showing.

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Dec 2007 at 08:26.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2088223)   #227
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
...Gianluca Calcgani, who ruined his own career by running into the back of people during a safety car period at Imola one year IIRC. .
Was'nt that the abysmal Alex Gurney who pulled that stunt in F3000?

Last edited by chunterer; 14 Dec 2007 at 08:26.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 08:31 (Ref:2088510)   #228
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani
Don't think it was Gurney but may have been another American driver, i'm not sure. This was an FIA 3000 race, maybe Imola '01? not an Italian round. There was an atrocious display of rubber necking when the flags came out after some guy had crashed somewhere near the Villeneuve chicane and people were still bombing round at racing speed including Calcgani (who IIRC had just been signed up by Flavio's lot) who promptly clattered into the back of the train.

I think he was the main driver to get singled out for silliness (allegedly).
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2088549)   #229
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No, much worse than that. Derek Hill. He missed the notification of safety cars and the yellow flags, but didn't miss half-a-dozen cars in the queue.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2088576)   #230
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
No, much worse than that. Derek Hill. He missed the notification of safety cars and the yellow flags, but didn't miss half-a-dozen cars in the queue.
I think history tends to prove racing is not necessarily in the genes. Sons of famous fathers who have raced have to date not generally been as good as their fathers. Nico Roberg looks like he might change this. The jury is out on Nelsinho IMO. What do others think of this generally?
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:39 (Ref:2088580)   #231
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Matthais Lauda and the Mansells would probably vindicate you there. Its probably worth starting a new thread on that... its a very interesting subject.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:56 (Ref:2088608)   #232
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Varies. Emerson Fittipaldi outraced his father. Dale Earnhardt ditto. Pretty tight between the Pettys and Ascaris.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2088716)   #233
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Varies. Emerson Fittipaldi outraced his father. Dale Earnhardt ditto. Pretty tight between the Pettys and Ascaris.
The point I made was in overall terms, not just directly against their fathers if they are still racing as they will be considerably older and with respect past their best.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 12:47 (Ref:2088719)   #234
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Matthais Lauda and the Mansells would probably vindicate you there. Its probably worth starting a new thread on that... its a very interesting subject.
Done!
Old 14 Dec 2007, 14:09 (Ref:2088782)   #235
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sorry their collective poorness melds into one.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 18:14 (Ref:2088959)   #236
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Anyway's enough of these average Joe's and back to the guys who showed potential but didn't fulfill it!

Not sure if I mentioned them already but how about these two drivers:

Spanish Opel Lotus driver, Victor Lopez - looked quick against the might of Barrichello, DC, De Ferran and Sospiri in 1990 then disappeared completely?

Alfonso Garcia De Vineusa was another one. Massively quick and looking very promising in F3000 in '87 until that horrendous shunt at Spa in practice IIRC. He was never the same after that.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 21:20 (Ref:2089049)   #237
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Anyway's enough of these average Joe's and back to the guys who showed potential but didn't fulfill it!

Spanish Opel Lotus driver, Victor Lopez - looked quick against the might of Barrichello, DC, De Ferran and Sospiri in 1990 then disappeared completely?

Alfonso Garcia De Vineusa was another one. Massively quick and looking very promising in F3000 in '87 until that horrendous shunt at Spa in practice IIRC. He was never the same after that.
Someone else popped into my head based on above, never quite the same after a shunt (he's probably mentioned back the way) Mike Thackwell - he should have been great. What happened there? Had the pleasure of seeing him race a Ford Capri in the Phoenix Park in Ireland in 83 (same year as Donnelly was racing Irish FF2000 and the first time I saw a F1 car).
Old 15 Dec 2007, 09:35 (Ref:2089340)   #238
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
Someone else popped into my head based on above, never quite the same after a shunt (he's probably mentioned back the way) Mike Thackwell - he should have been great. What happened there? Had the pleasure of seeing him race a Ford Capri in the Phoenix Park in Ireland in 83 (same year as Donnelly was racing Irish FF2000 and the first time I saw a F1 car).

Long thread about it on Atlas, basically he's had a life outside of racing and now runs a kite and skateboard shop I believe.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:58 (Ref:2090498)   #239
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Diego Castro Santos - very quick in Opel Euroseries in the early '90s. Quit to become a golf pro as I recall.

Sandro Spoladori - dominated the early rounds of the same series, '94. Won at Imola just after Ratzenbergers fatal accident, then quit the sport the next day after Senna's.

Richard Westbrook - same series, same era. Obviously doing well in Porsches now but could probably have gone all the way in F1. He had the measure of Jarno Trulli in F3.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:07 (Ref:2090506)   #240
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
I think history tends to prove racing is not necessarily in the genes. Sons of famous fathers who have raced have to date not generally been as good as their fathers. Nico Roberg looks like he might change this. The jury is out on Nelsinho IMO. What do others think of this generally?
It varies. It's a little like the contention that younger brothers are usually better as the've grown up having to be a more comitted competitor than their sibling.
This merits a thread in its own right as the issues are too complex to address in a couple of asides.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2090533)   #241
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
It varies. It's a little like the contention that younger brothers are usually better as the've grown up having to be a more comitted competitor than their sibling.
This merits a thread in its own right as the issues are too complex to address in a couple of asides.
Snap ! I suggested that to Graz and here's the thread he set up. A fascinating insight from Gregor Marshall in it too... right from the horse's mouth so to speak.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102717
Old 17 Dec 2007, 15:01 (Ref:2090567)   #242
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Oscar Laurrari - major talent, major miss in my opinion. If the Falklands war had'nt happened the year he dominated Euro F3 then he would hvae gone a long way - there was talk of a Ferrari test contract.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2090608)   #243
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Hm, never really thought about him but interesting call. After all, he didn't get outclassed by Second Coming Modena in the Eurobrun despite missing a few years of single seater racing. I'd thought it more a reflection on Modena, but maybe Popi was indeed worthy of consideration.

(Or did you pick him cos his helmet was not dissimilar to that of Peter Charles? )
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2090628)   #244
davyboy
Veteran

Duplicate post
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2090630)   #245
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Oscar Laurrari - major talent, major miss in my opinion. If the Falklands war had'nt happened the year he dominated Euro F3 then he would hvae gone a long way - there was talk of a Ferrari test contract.
I'm wondering why the Falklands war would have put the kibosh on a test drive at Ferrari though. Italy wasn't exactly jumping up and down in support of Britain back then, which was rather naughty of them.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 16:49 (Ref:2090639)   #246
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

I think it was more a case of the bread drying up. If you look at his record in the Brun 956s, the Renault Alpine, even the unloved Lola T950 he was generally very good. I saw him stack a 956 at Silverstone in 87 and then across the track at Woodcote to try and get in another Team Brun car, I remember someone commentating that his hair had gone white during the crash!! I think he was just grey early tho...

I thought his helmet design a bit Emerson/South American generic actually. Did'nt thye all get their lids done by a bloke called 'Sid' ??
Old 20 Dec 2007, 15:27 (Ref:2092724)   #247
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I thought his helmet design a bit Emerson/South American generic actually. Did'nt thye all get their lids done by a bloke called 'Sid' ??
Sid Mosca

http://www.sidmosca.com.br/
Old 20 Dec 2007, 17:09 (Ref:2092811)   #248
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
Cool - at least some the brain cells are still intact..
Old 5 Jan 2008, 15:07 (Ref:2100118)   #249
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tom Walkinshaw, has someone suggested him before?
I drove for him for a few years and if ever there was a guy who you'd pit against ANYONE to race, it would be he.
Very tough, very strong, built like a brickbrickhouse.
You'd put money on him winning a 24 Hours race single handedly if it were possible.
His cars came across as a little light on brakes, but they weren't. They just needed a good push. Not that he braked much ...
A very gritty performer who turned to the management side pretty early on.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 15:26 (Ref:2100131)   #250
davyboy
Veteran

Care to reveal your identity John ?