Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jun 2005, 11:22 (Ref:1318888)   #226
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know where Martin Wagg is? As i haven't seen him since his crash at Surfers. Has he hung up the helmet or hasn't had the car rebuilt?

I would have to agree with racer69 as i agree that no diver should be hampered because he has better hardware than other drivers this is where driver skill will shine. This showed with Alan Simosen in the 360 Modena in 2003 where he took it up with the Group 1 drivers.
Old 3 Jun 2005, 22:10 (Ref:1319544)   #227
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin is running the Porsche Driver/GT series. His daughter Rachel is also helping. Hats off to them, it's a thankless task that takes up your life and stops you actually driving yourself.

His RS is still awaiting assembly I think.

Exciting news on the side......

Simonsen is testing JMB 575 with regard to Le Mans ride. Wish him luck...
Old 4 Jun 2005, 00:08 (Ref:1319606)   #228
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Isnt the LeMans "Test Day" this weekend??

A baptism of fire if Mr Simonsen is coming in that cold....

Is a 575 similar to the mean green 550, or another beast again?
Old 4 Jun 2005, 00:27 (Ref:1319615)   #229
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
Well, positive Australian GT Championship discussion would have to include news of new cars joinning wouldn't it?

Expect to see the D'Arcy Russell Viper join the Championship at QR, and possibly 911 GT3 Cup car for Garth Rainsbury.

And Geoff Munday is apparently preparing his much un-used second ex-PHR Mustang for competition latter on in the year...........
It was interesting to read also that Darcy has been involved in putting the championship together aswell. Can not wait to see the Viper out and roaring about at QR. Should not run to bad, up and down the long straights at QR.

Le Mans test day is this weekend GTR, so they are throwing him in at the deep end. However if he is selected for the race in 2 weeks, atleast he already have some track time under his belt.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 01:11 (Ref:1319625)   #230
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Le Mans test day is this weekend GTR, so they are throwing him in at the deep end. However if he is selected for the race in 2 weeks, atleast he already have some track time under his belt.
I am sure that allowing for the limited track time, the speed will be impressive

Last edited by GTRMagic; 4 Jun 2005 at 06:22.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 05:18 (Ref:1319686)   #231
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Is a 575 similar to the mean green 550, or another beast again?
Similar but slower.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 06:13 (Ref:1319702)   #232
the man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky
Similar but slower.
I thought that the 575 was the newer version of the 550? Anyway good luck to him.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 06:21 (Ref:1319706)   #233
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is newer, but homologation differences mean that it is slower, IIRC
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 4 Jun 2005, 17:06 (Ref:1320036)   #234
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends what 550 it was. The Prodrive 550s were quick, but Ferrari is/was more supportive of the 575 program than it was of the Prodrive 550 program.

Although a Ferrari wrapped up the first round of this years FIA GT Championship, they are running on abit of borrowed time with the latest offerings from Aston, Maserati and Chevrolet.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 01:19 (Ref:1320276)   #235
Chucky
Veteran

Australia
Port Melbourne, Australia
Chucky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 575 is a good car, but it wasn't really any step forward from the Prodrive or even Rafanelli developed 550's.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 04:02 (Ref:1320304)   #236
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just finished watching the Phillip Island round on Speedweek and was very surprised to see some great racing.

From all the mocking this round received on the forum i expected it to be a absolute flop!.

Sure there were some gentlemen drivers out there but it was still damn good racing and a pretty good grid.

I can see this series picking up in the next few rounds, with the Viper making its late debut and teams looking at purchasing newer more powerful vehicles.

I dont want the NC Monaros involved, but im wondering if that HSV track special Monaro would be eligible? It could be raced in production spec and still be competitive couldnt it?.

Finally something looks positive for GT racing in Aus, even if it is at the moment slower then overseas.

Cmon people, there are tonnes of cars out there waiting to have the sheets taken off them, get involved!.
Old 5 Jun 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1320402)   #237
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience
Exciting news on the side......

Simonsen is testing JMB 575 with regard to Le Mans ride. Wish him luck...
The "#69 JMB Racing de FOURNOUX JR/DAOUDI S Ferrari 575 GTC" is the car I presume Mr Simonsen will pilot? Its a little way off the quick times of Mr Brabham's DBR9... Timing Here for those amused... although the adopted Aussie seems yet to have a steer...
Old 6 Jun 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1320998)   #238
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe!
Just finished watching the Phillip Island round on Speedweek and was very surprised to see some great racing.

From all the mocking this round received on the forum i expected it to be a absolute flop!.

Sure there were some gentlemen drivers out there but it was still damn good racing and a pretty good grid.

I can see this series picking up in the next few rounds, with the Viper making its late debut and teams looking at purchasing newer more powerful vehicles.

I dont want the NC Monaros involved, but im wondering if that HSV track special Monaro would be eligible? It could be raced in production spec and still be competitive couldnt it?.

Finally something looks positive for GT racing in Aus, even if it is at the moment slower then overseas.

Cmon people, there are tonnes of cars out there waiting to have the sheets taken off them, get involved!.
Yeah I was quite impressed aswell. Each category recieved quite a good amount of tv time. With so many categories being shown I was a bit concerned that each race would be rushed, however the races shown was able to capture a significant part of the race and it was a pleasure to watch. Now if only we could do something about the commentators.

Interesting to note that Peter Hackett with his 'something about mary' haircut said he was the teams new lead driver, so I suppose we shall see him for the rest of the year.
Old 7 Jun 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1322744)   #239
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unfortunately Allan arrived for the JMB test, but circumstances prevented him from driving. Bloody long way to go to have politics and ego's ruin your career changing opportunities, but I guess it's not the first or last time it'll happen.

Anyway, he'll have a fang in the 360GT at Phillip Island VIC state round.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 02:17 (Ref:1322856)   #240
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience
Unfortunately Allan arrived for the JMB test, but circumstances prevented him from driving. Bloody long way to go to have politics and ego's ruin your career changing opportunities, but I guess it's not the first or last time it'll happen.

Anyway, he'll have a fang in the 360GT at Phillip Island VIC state round.
Thats pretty cold. I was really looking foward to cheering on the somewhat local driver via radio lemans this year, back to Brabs. Hopefully another opportunity can come up in the future for Allan.

Atleast driving the sumblime 360 GT around the Island will be slightly therapeutic for him.
What car is Ted running ?
Old 8 Jun 2005, 04:38 (Ref:1322892)   #241
silver 2
Racer

silver 2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Smithy could give Ted a run in the Lambo!
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:17 (Ref:1322998)   #242
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Don't get carried away, I only said he'll have a fang. That doesn't mean he'll race it necessarily... so silver, I'd skip over to procar and adjust your betting terms, just in case.....!!

As always, when the flag drops the 8ull5h1t stops.
Old 8 Jun 2005, 09:35 (Ref:1323012)   #243
silver 2
Racer

Not much chance of Smithy showing up unless the whole thing is stacked in his favour.He has only just got his keyboard back after the Targa schemozzle .The shame of it all is that it could be a fantastic class if more cars were included and with a real show of cars and racing we would all be entertained. Even Smithy might come and play !
Old 10 Jun 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1324794)   #244
the man
Veteran

On inside speed thursday night i heard that there is a jag being built for the Aussie GT Championship, also Murray Carter's Corvette is being dusted off along with a Toyota Supra. Is this just rumors or is this true?
Old 10 Jun 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1324797)   #245
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is then maybe this thing will REALLY take off in terms of diversity.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1324833)   #246
djt46
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
djt46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob Thorn from SuperCheapalready has an NC Jag, I think, the Supra is an older one that's been around for a while, as with Murray's Corvette. Good to see more people coming out to play!
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1325216)   #247
the man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt46
Bob Thorn from SuperCheapalready has an NC Jag, I think, the Supra is an older one that's been around for a while, as with Murray's Corvette. Good to see more people coming out to play!
If I remember a driver was going to build a new Jag to race, as opposed to Bob Thorns elder car, however there has been this story for the past 3 years of Nations Cup.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 02:38 (Ref:1325221)   #248
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by the man
On inside speed thursday night i heard that there is a jag being built for the Aussie GT Championship, also Murray Carter's Corvette is being dusted off along with a Toyota Supra. Is this just rumors or is this true?
Mr Carter has the MoTeC off the Corvette up for sale in AA... I wonder if the car has been converted back to road spec and sold off?
Old 11 Jun 2005, 09:13 (Ref:1325455)   #249
silver 2
Racer

Murray Carter has had engine dramas and is in the process of sorting them out.Is most likely to appear in tha Victorian State series and then see.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 04:59 (Ref:1327959)   #250
D.R.T.
Veteran

In this quite time between rounds I'd just like to draw attention to the Tv schedule that the Aus GT and AMRS categories have.

I was quite amazed to realise that in Addition the Speedweek show on SBS and 'Inside Speed' on Foxtel, that there are 2 repeat shows of 'Inside Speed' on Foxtel and my brother tells me that 'Speedweek' is also repeated twice on Foxtel.

This might have been common knowledge, but that is some good tv exposure for teams and potential sponsors.