Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2010, 09:04 (Ref:2738634)   #226
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I found it quite exciting too.
I would find juggling chainsaws very exciting as well.

Also setting myself on fire would be very exciting.

Warm too.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2738638)   #227
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
It was exciting in a watch-through-your-fingers kind of way. Of all the things people get wound-up about on here I'm surprised at some members' casual attitude towards such an obviously reckless and offensive piece of driving.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2738652)   #228
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher hasn't looked good all year. Not only is he well off the pace, but his driving standards when being overtaken have been worse than ever. He's only served to emphasise why he had an over-aggressive reputation in his heyday. If he's got any humility at all he'll get out of the car ASAP before he completely destroys his reputation - he's not go hope of challenging for the 2011 title no matter how good the car is.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2738694)   #229
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
Btw, according to German media TGF has meanwhile apologized and said himself that the move was a bit too harsh.

Could be another sign he is growing old. He used to take years for apologies.
Might be that in the past he did these things and benefited from it, so his fans and some observers were rather forgiving. Now there's not a outcome that would "justify" what he did. Plus even the German audience can't be fooled anymore by ridiculous explanations (Wasser seems to concentrate on justifying anything Vettel messes up nowadays), his golden times in terms of his fanbase are over too. The whole RTL crew including Lauda finding very clear words for his actions leaves nothing but bad PR even in Germany. So the Merc-PR department had a talk with Michael I suppose and hope. Another unpleasant situation he has to get used to. Actually in his late days, he probably has to learn more than ever.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:40 (Ref:2738744)   #230
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!

Something for the apologists to look at.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2738746)   #231
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post

Something for the apologists to look at.
I saw a larger version of that photo and a couple of others in GPWeek yesterday (download free from http://www.gpweek.com)

It's far more graphic than the TV pictures and totally damning. A ban for anything from one to three races would have been the only appropriate punishment.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 13:03 (Ref:2738754)   #232
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't the FIA used to ban drivers for trivial offences like overtaking on the formation lap?
Whatever happened to that?

Or do they just do that to make the championship artificially exciting?

I would give him a one race ban, at least.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 13:52 (Ref:2738776)   #233
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In terms of any prospect of gaining points, a ten place grid penalty is effectively a race ban.

I can't help thinking there's an awful lot of people jumping on the usual anti-Schumacher bandwagon here, in terms of the vitriol and ridiculous punishment suggestions.

This article sums it up a little more reasonably. Had there been time, he could well have been black flagged. As it is, the punishment given seems appropriate. And clearly having seen the footage for himself, Schumacher has accepted it was more dangerous than he intended and that the punishment was deserved.

As for when he should retire, the less blinkered F1 watchers will have seen/heard that he has no plans to hang up his gloves just yet, and along with the team is now concentrating on being competitive next season. That will be the true acid test.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 14:26 (Ref:2738798)   #234
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I still think that a race ban would have been a more appropriate penalty because if he continues to defend his position as robustly as he has done so far this season, Hungary being the worst example, there is every chance of an accident and we have Spa and Italy coming up and they are very fast circuits.

However, it appears from this that a ten place grid penalty was the most severe penalty the stewards could apply, short of having time to black flag him.

Yes, it will be probably be enough to keep him out of the points, although Kobayashi's drive last weekend shows it is not a certainty, which is why I would prefer to see him out of the action.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2738825)   #235
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when was the last time a driver was black flagged during an f1 race? montoya for missing the red light in the pitlane? any other incidences for poor driving?
Old 3 Aug 2010, 15:41 (Ref:2738828)   #236
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
when was the last time a driver was black flagged during an f1 race? montoya for missing the red light in the pitlane? any other incidences for poor driving?

Ah but that was Montoya. He had a penalty for breathing!
..........or when it looked like he was about to beat a Ferrari or that German bloke.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 15:55 (Ref:2738834)   #237
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was very bad, but it wouldn't have run to so many pages on a thread were it not one Michael Schumacher.

It's not surprising to see Schumacher do it, is it? What IS surprising is how slow he is. Why? Why? Why? He is so slow now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I doubt Schumacher will be on the grid.

I think he'll continue to the end of 2010 before gracefully conceding that his time has passed
Quoting Super Hans from another thread, I'm not sure he'll gracefully concede publicly that his time has passed. I think Mercedes will sack him, but there will be a cover-up about them having done that.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2738836)   #238
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Allegedly, this is the main reason why Schumacher is so slow.

But there was a time when he could drive around any problem and Rosberg seems to be coping...
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:06 (Ref:2738838)   #239
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Of course it creates more reaction because it is TGF. Because he always bloody does it!

The annoyance doesn't lessen over time just because it is common.

It isn't some anti-TGF thing at all. Anyone pulling that stunt would get a lot of stick and I foresee more of the same from Vettel in future.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:15 (Ref:2738841)   #240
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Looking at the above photo, Ruben's would have been right when he says that Schumacher would have probably come off worst.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:18 (Ref:2738842)   #241
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Of course it creates more reaction because it is TGF. Because he always bloody does it!

The annoyance doesn't lessen over time just because it is common.

It isn't some anti-TGF thing at all. Anyone pulling that stunt would get a lot of stick and I foresee more of the same from Vettel in future.
I remember hamilton forcing people of the track in 07-08 the excuse always was he didnt see them or he didnt mean to. Did he get punished?
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2738845)   #242
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Schumacher nearly black-flagged, but not enough time left to do it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85838
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2738846)   #243
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I too remember him doing it a couple of times, albeit nowhere near as extreme!

He has thankfully got better. And please don't raise the Petrov/Malaysia non-event.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2738861)   #244
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Schumacher nearly black-flagged, but not enough time left to do it.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85838
OK. So how did the officials have time to review and dish out a penalty to Vettel? Essentially taking the race win from him. MS was already lapped when he committed his foul!
Just more BS from stewards. How did Varsha and Hobbs know very quickly from the replays that it was grossly out of line? He drove a guy off the track-very clear from the very first replay-dish out the penalty. Indycar didn't let grass grow on Helio.
The "other" factors were at work in F1.......the racing would be served much better if the stewards would make up their mind instead of seeking permission. Minor infraction--let the guy that got screwed thru and on with the race. Major in fraction-- a drive thru------attempted murder--a stop and go. Where they are in the race is just not a factor to rule enforcement.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 16:56 (Ref:2738862)   #245
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSR88 View Post
OK. So how did the officials have time to review and dish out a penalty to Vettel? Essentially taking the race win from him. MS was already lapped when he committed his foul!
Just more BS from stewards. ...
Since Vettels incident happened before half way in the race and the Schumacher/Barrichello happened a lap before the end of the race.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2738867)   #246
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

It was absolutely premeditatedly dangerous and wreckless

Yes, mercifully wreckless. But definitely reckless.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:11 (Ref:2738868)   #247
KSR88
Rookie

United States
California
KSR88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Since Vettels incident happened before half way in the race and the Schumacher/Barrichello happened a lap before the end of the race.
You might want to review your facts. Vettel was penalized after the restart--which was early in the race. You might recall Webber went along was on the option tires to build a gap to win the race. Point being it took very little time for the stewards to tell Red Bull they were penalized. Shumachers incident did not happen on the last lap! It was on 66 of 70! They went three laps after the incident---the review notice went across my screen--in fact virtually the same timing as Helios incident.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2738869)   #248
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I too remember him doing it a couple of times, albeit nowhere near as extreme!

He has thankfully got better. And please don't raise the Petrov/Malaysia non-event.
Nowhere near as extreme, but still worth a punishment? You can make a similar list of 'what ifs' by pushing an F1 car on to the grass than you can by pushing a car near to a wall.

The Petrov incident was bad enough in my eyes, you can argue that he was 'breaking the tow' all you want but the last time I saw an F1 deviate 4-5 times across a track like he did, it was called weaving.

Oh and for what its worth, I think there is a huge amount of anti-Schumacher feeling, it is apparent on and off these forums. A lot of people have a go at Schumacher and feel sorry for Rubens about Austria 2002, whereas it was an equal team order. People seem to forget that it was Rubens who then decided to stay with the team until 2004 because he was 'soooo unhappy' right? That is anti-Schumacher.
When he cried after breaking Senna's record, people claimed that he was faking it, that is Anti-Schumacher.
It goes on and has always gone on and is going on with this incident.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:15 (Ref:2738870)   #249
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSR88 View Post
You might want to review your facts. Vettel was penalized after the restart--which was early in the race. You might recall Webber went along was on the option tires to build a gap to win the race. Point being it took very little time for the stewards to tell Red Bull they were penalized. Shumachers incident did not happen on the last lap! It was on 66 of 70! They went three laps after the incident---the review notice went across my screen--in fact virtually the same timing as Helios incident.
So i may not have been 100% accurate with the timings, but the point stands. IIRC you can't show a Black Flag within the last 3 laps of the race so that would have gave them less than a lap.
Old 3 Aug 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2738880)   #250
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Nowhere near as extreme, but still worth a punishment? You can make a similar list of 'what ifs' by pushing an F1 car on to the grass than you can by pushing a car near to a wall.

The Petrov incident was bad enough in my eyes, you can argue that he was 'breaking the tow' all you want but the last time I saw an F1 deviate 4-5 times across a track like he did, it was called weaving.

Oh and for what its worth, I think there is a huge amount of anti-Schumacher feeling, it is apparent on and off these forums. A lot of people have a go at Schumacher and feel sorry for Rubens about Austria 2002, whereas it was an equal team order. People seem to forget that it was Rubens who then decided to stay with the team until 2004 because he was 'soooo unhappy' right? That is anti-Schumacher.
When he cried after breaking Senna's record, people claimed that he was faking it, that is Anti-Schumacher.
It goes on and has always gone on and is going on with this incident.
Since Schumacher himself has accepted the Stewards decision and has now appologised to Rubens for what he admits was an over agressive move - can you not accept the same?

I think you might be confusing people who have condemned Schumacher's driving at the weekend with people who hate Schumacher. I have noticed many people in this thread who are regular Schumacher supporters and who in this case have condemend Schumacher for his driving in Hungary. They are obviously not Schmacher haters - they are Schumacher fans who feel they have been let down by the hero. I think you should give some credance to that....

Let's put it this way - I dont think anyone has been so vehement in their attack of the man (rather than the move he made) as you have been vehement in the man's defence - although you have also said that you don't condone his move completely.

And as this thread is about Schumacher, maybe you should consider starting another one to bash Rubens, or any of the other drivers you have mentioned, if you wish to continue doing so, leaving this thread to the purpose it was intended for.

Last edited by phoenix; 3 Aug 2010 at 17:41.