Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 4 Aug 2013, 07:41 (Ref:3285597)   #2551
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
With that comment, you are dismissing Ford as a contender ?
Just doesn't seem to happen since the company scaled back their involvement and made incorrect decisions in that process.

It's a numbers game, there could be 10 competitive commodores and only 3 competitive Fords, with Nissan and Erebus merely making up the numbers if there is no assistance.

Last edited by bluesport; 4 Aug 2013 at 07:49.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3285619)   #2552
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Just doesn't seem to happen since the company scaled back their involvement and made incorrect decisions in that process.

It's a numbers game, there could be 10 competitive commodores and only 3 competitive Fords, with Nissan and Erebus merely making up the numbers if there is no assistance.
It only takes 1 car to win...
Old 4 Aug 2013, 21:50 (Ref:3285869)   #2553
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It only takes 1 car to win...
I know, but that "1" is always one of the ten commodores..........lucky to see anything else on the podium let alone win.
Old 4 Aug 2013, 23:39 (Ref:3285902)   #2554
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I know, but that "1" is always one of the ten commodores..........lucky to see anything else on the podium let alone win.
But then this brings you back to the question of who as a team is doing a better job at aligning the resources, the car prep, the driver selection, the strategy development, the technical nuances of the car (eg fuel consumption etc)...

Not forgetting the 'shoot in the foot' strategy of the last 10 years of some teams...
Old 5 Aug 2013, 00:13 (Ref:3285912)   #2555
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Like Reload, I'm a little surprised that you've given up completely on Ford already as a competitor for the commodore teams - seems to me that the falcons have been competitive all year and it does seem that (for now anyway) FPR have got to the bottom of their earlier pit stop issues.
I have complete faith in FPR to completely stuff up strategy or pit stops, their record speaks for itself.

Quote:
Not forgetting the 'shoot in the foot' strategy of the last 10 years of some teams...
People love to "blame" Holden for winning everything and claim conspiracy for 888 and Holden, but the simple fact is that both SBR and FPR had ample car speed at different times to win championships and win enduros, but they couldn't get their **** together for long enough. Not to mention the towelling up 888 gave the whole category in the BF/FG, do those claiming the sport favours 888 with COTF rules really have such a short memory?
Old 5 Aug 2013, 03:12 (Ref:3285947)   #2556
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You are 1 incredibly negative and defeatist Ford fan blue. They need support, not fans rolling over.
Old 5 Aug 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3286017)   #2557
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
But then this brings you back to the question of who as a team is doing a better job at aligning the resources, the car prep, the driver selection, the strategy development, the technical nuances of the car (eg fuel consumption etc)...

If Nissan and Erebus/AMG work harder and smarter and get more power from their engines than the pushrod brigade, their engines will be gagged, so the "they have to work harder" argument doesn't hold water.........parity is a one way street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
You are 1 incredibly negative and defeatist Ford fan blue. They need support, not fans rolling over.
Not negative.........realistic..........Ford aren't supporting themselves, there's nothing I can do about it.
Old 6 Aug 2013, 14:19 (Ref:3286538)   #2558
Gavin RS
Rookie

South Africa
Randburg South Africa
Gavin RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys

I am from South Africa and even with all the Politics I still think your racing is awsome.

I am a Ford Fan and at least they got a 1234 a few weeks back.We only get the recorded race 2 weeks after it happened in Australia but it is worth wating for.

I am a racer myself and would love to drive a Ford or Holden

You should see how politics interferes with our motorsport in SA

Cheers

Gavin
Old 7 Aug 2013, 13:09 (Ref:3286902)   #2559
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-star View Post
Seb Bourdais doesn't have a date clash...
AA apparently says Mr Priaulx shall be his enduro partner

What value is in this pairing?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 13:32 (Ref:3286907)   #2560
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not negative.........realistic..........Ford aren't supporting themselves, there's nothing I can do about it.
Didn't help that they dumped 888 and stood idly by will their other championship winning team imploded.
Old 7 Aug 2013, 14:12 (Ref:3286919)   #2561
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Not even sure why they're bothering.

Is it meant to be some sort of promo stunt to push more VF sales?
Old 7 Aug 2013, 21:55 (Ref:3287040)   #2562
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

i would have thought that as a spectator there is a lot of value.

an extra car on the grid, which many complain is too small

A name driver for those of us interested in motorsport

international drivers for those that lament about this

I really dont see any reason to complain
Old 8 Aug 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3287114)   #2563
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post

Its not a means to complain, but go talk to a casual fan and tell them that Sebastian Bourdais is coming to Bathurst, and they wont know who you are talking about.

Go tell the same person Casey Stoner is racing at Bathurst, they will ask how he is going to go.

Why didnt Holden insist HRT take these two pilots into #2 and #66 when they had no other drivers signed for those seats?
Old 8 Aug 2013, 01:37 (Ref:3287115)   #2564
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Look stoner would have been great from a PR point of view for a casual fan.

me as a regular motorsport fan would have laughed, we would have taken bets on which lap he was going to put it in the wall, probably run a sweep.

Not everything has to be about the casual fan.

Besides maybe its about an as yet unnamed sponsor

GTR, you are smart enough to know, you need experienced drivers in your cars, thats why they are not in the #2 & #66
Old 8 Aug 2013, 01:45 (Ref:3287118)   #2565
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Look stoner would have been great from a PR point of view for a casual fan.

me as a regular motorsport fan would have laughed, we would have taken bets on which lap he was going to put it in the wall, probably run a sweep.

Not everything has to be about the casual fan.

Besides maybe its about an as yet unnamed sponsor

GTR, you are smart enough to know, you need experienced drivers in your cars, thats why they are not in the #2 & #66
Mr Bourdais gapped the field on the Gold Coast only a couple of years ago, in the lead 888 Whincup car he was just brilliant, against his international peers.

I would be surprised if he were significantly slower than Mr Luff or Mr Dumbrell... all depends on pre-event testing, and how much connection the regular pilot of #1 and #888 might be available to help acclimatise...
Old 8 Aug 2013, 04:08 (Ref:3287146)   #2566
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Bourdais gapped the field on the Gold Coast only a couple of years ago, in the lead 888 Whincup car he was just brilliant, against his international peers.

I would be surprised if he were significantly slower than Mr Luff or Mr Dumbrell... all depends on pre-event testing, and how much connection the regular pilot of #1 and #888 might be available to help acclimatise...
Holden don't control HRT, much less Supercheap Racing, so how could they force co-drivers on them. They would be conceding any chance of victory.

Bourdais is a fantastic driver - but he drove one stint of 30 something laps each time on a fairly simple circuit. Without getting all chest-beatingly cliched, Bathurst is the toughest circuit to get to grips with and experience has always counted up there.

And the reason nobody signed Stoner is because he's not ready yet. I'm a huge fan of his ability and think the guy could be an absolute gun in V8s - but there have been plenty of talented, capable drivers with far more car racing experience who've come a cropper at Bathurst. Including plenty with international touring car experience.

Would you really suggest someone who would have had 4 competitive car race meetings, none of which go longer than approx 100km, race at the hardest race? It would be dangerous and stupid.

And the casual fan has Lowndes, Courtney etc to follow. If they're not interested enough to follow those guys, then adding Stoner to the mix will only ensure they pay attention when they broadcast the result in the nightly news.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 04:14 (Ref:3287149)   #2567
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
Holden don't control HRT, much less Supercheap Racing, so how could they force co-drivers on them. They would be conceding any chance of victory.

Bourdais is a fantastic driver - but he drove one stint of 30 something laps each time on a fairly simple circuit. Without getting all chest-beatingly cliched, Bathurst is the toughest circuit to get to grips with and experience has always counted up there.

And the reason nobody signed Stoner is because he's not ready yet. I'm a huge fan of his ability and think the guy could be an absolute gun in V8s - but there have been plenty of talented, capable drivers with far more car racing experience who've come a cropper at Bathurst. Including plenty with international touring car experience.

Would you really suggest someone who would have had 4 competitive car race meetings, none of which go longer than approx 100km, race at the hardest race? It would be dangerous and stupid.

And the casual fan has Lowndes, Courtney etc to follow. If they're not interested enough to follow those guys, then adding Stoner to the mix will only ensure they pay attention when they broadcast the result in the nightly news.
Unless I missed something Holden is a major influncer over a lot of their teams, including the likes of Tekno, GRM and LDM.

They could easily have manoeuvred one of these pilots aboard #3, to replace Mr Percat, and found that exact same location for the much rumoured 'new consumer product' that is scheduled to appear on Car #10 in the Great Race...

I dont think Mr Stoner is ready for the enduros either, but that said, some of the copilots chosen in the Bathurst field this year probably shouldnt be either...
Old 9 Aug 2013, 05:03 (Ref:3287484)   #2568
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Unless I missed something Holden is a major influncer over a lot of their teams, including the likes of Tekno, GRM and LDM.

They could easily have manoeuvred one of these pilots aboard #3, to replace Mr Percat, and found that exact same location for the much rumoured 'new consumer product' that is scheduled to appear on Car #10 in the Great Race...

I dont think Mr Stoner is ready for the enduros either, but that said, some of the copilots chosen in the Bathurst field this year probably shouldnt be either...
Influence yes - control no. Supercheap would have had a say in who is the co-driver in their car and ultimately it's up to HRT management who their co-drivers are.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 05:16 (Ref:3287488)   #2569
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Arent manufacturers forbidden from being involved with driver selection
Old 9 Aug 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3287496)   #2570
rik
Veteran

rik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Arent manufacturers forbidden from being involved with driver selection
I don't think so... Manufacturers can't sign driver contracts, only teams. Although it gets a bit muddy when the team's major sponsor is the manufacturer.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 08:54 (Ref:3287524)   #2571
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And if the driver is an "ambassador" for the manufacturer.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 00:11 (Ref:3287822)   #2572
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I agree 100% . Stuff the casual fan. This pairing will be a real threat.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 06:37 (Ref:3290023)   #2573
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
With Mr Halliday apparently lining up alongside Mr Fiore, all the cars are full it seems...
Old 16 Aug 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3290560)   #2574
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'm really not sure what to say about Kelly's Holden engines, they were not terrible but I am not sure they were rocketships either.
From all reports Kelly's engines were pretty good and one of the best in a straight line, that's no good however if the chassis is not good
Old 16 Aug 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3290562)   #2575
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16 View Post
From all reports Kelly's engines were pretty good and one of the best in a straight line, that's no good however if the chassis is not good
There is more to an engine than straight line speed however... wher ethe top speed is reached, the driveability off the corners, the fuel mapping, the economy, are equally as important...