Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 2 Aug 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3285048)   #2601
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rollcage bit needs to NOT be a thing. Frankly, the only thing it does is worsen the manu. participation. They shouldn't need to build a specific car for one series.

There is also a massive outcry against helmet regs. Elkins is mandating FIA 8860 spec, and that isn't required by anyone else, INCLUDING, NASCAR...

The cost to the participant is outlandish, and frankly pointless. I usually back Elkins, but, on this one...no way. Assumed best practice isn't always the case.

EDIT-Open cockpit I understand, but for closed cockpit, or GT, it's pointless.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Aug 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3285056)   #2602
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
The rollcage bit needs to NOT be a thing. Frankly, the only thing it does is worsen the manu. participation. They shouldn't need to build a specific car for one series.

There is also a massive outcry against helmet regs. Elkins is mandating FIA 8860 spec, and that isn't required by anyone else, INCLUDING, NASCAR...

The cost to the participant is outlandish, and frankly pointless. I usually back Elkins, but, on this one...no way. Assumed best practice isn't always the case.

EDIT-Open cockpit I understand, but for closed cockpit, or GT, it's pointless.
When is a higher safety standard for the drivers ever pointless?

L.P.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3285083)   #2603
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holding up NASCAR's safety standard as a comparison is like saying tank drivers don't wear full body armor so no one should.

Al we have to do is make prototypes out of steel with a 1700-kg min weight, and that comparison makes all kinds of sense.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 17:57 (Ref:3285092)   #2604
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
The Jordan and Leo talk was pretty good.

L.P.
Taylor didn't strike one as being terribly well informed, even about the DP.
Maybe he's too busy making stupid music videos to actually learn much about the technical side of the car he drives.
He has a terribly realistic 'perfect world' scenario for the 2014 season: All season in the DP, in the Corvette for LeMans. That'll work. Sure.

Hopefully he does get left in the DP.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 17:58 (Ref:3285093)   #2605
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
L.P.
+1
Old 2 Aug 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3285104)   #2606
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Maybe he's too busy making stupid music videos to actually learn much about the technical side of the car he drives.
He has a terribly realistic 'perfect world' scenario for the 2014 season: All season in the DP, in the Corvette for LeMans. That'll work. Sure.

What a crock-o-!

L.P.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 20:39 (Ref:3285134)   #2607
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post

He'll have to clone himself to drive the Corvette at Le Mans and a DP at whatever circuit the new series will be at.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3285141)   #2608
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
He'll have to clone himself to drive the Corvette at Le Mans and a DP at whatever circuit the new series will be at.
Kansas? No I'm pretty sure they will have a Le Mans break.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 21:18 (Ref:3285147)   #2609
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeast View Post
You're right, they will have a Le Mans break for the drivers. But not a ~month long break that's needed for the teams.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 21:25 (Ref:3285150)   #2610
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
If they keep that crappy roval on the schedule and they're the least bit smart, they would schedule to worst track when the fewest teams show up like during the Le Mans "season."
Old 2 Aug 2013, 22:01 (Ref:3285159)   #2611
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The problem is, other than Schuberth, the helmets are of crazy weight, and axial neck loads, are very, very high. 8860 only provides for higher impact protection from a foreign object.

The cost is approaching $7,000 bucks with comms, paint job, add'l visors etc.

As I said, for open cockpit it makes total sense. For closed cockpit it makes none. The fastest sedan series in the world doesn't even require them...it's just a joke. Especially when you may need to replace it during the season, or prior to the next.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if i'm wearing a $1000 dollar lid, or a $10,000 dollar one. If my brain bounces around inside my skull and bleeds, it was going to happen regardless. I respect the work Prof. Sid Watkins did, and this spec is his legacy, it was designed for F1. Not for closed top GT.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 2 Aug 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3285176)   #2612
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Quote:
What a crock-o-!

L.P.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3285189)   #2613
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Take that uscr!

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...rld-challenge/
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:40 (Ref:3285191)   #2614
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Wow didn't see that coming.. Maybe I will make the trip to St. Pete this year instead of Sebring.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3285195)   #2615
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
That on will really open the floodgates.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:56 (Ref:3285196)   #2616
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Oh boy...that just turned the wicks up a bit for the USCR...they likely will need to include standard GT3 regs wih a bit of BoP. The grid they could potentially have for some of the longer races would be stunning.

I can't tell if this is good for USCR, or really, really, really bad.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3285197)   #2617
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
Oh boy...that just turned the wicks up a bit for the USCR...they likely will need to include standard GT3 regs wih a bit of BoP. The grid they could potentially have for some of the longer races would be stunning.

I can't tell if this is good for USCR, or really, really, really bad.
Bad, I'd expect. It's just going to draw attention further and further away from them. Which is not what they wanted - by merging ALMS and Grand-Am together, I figured they wanted no one else sharing the spotlight in American sportscar racing. That all just changed...
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:01 (Ref:3285199)   #2618
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Wow didn't see that coming.. Maybe I will make the trip to St. Pete this year instead of Sebring.
I suggest both.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3285201)   #2619
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
What's the difference between the current spec GT3 WC cars and a full spec GT3 car? Is it the spoiler or something?
I thought GT3 cars were allowed in PWC currently because I know I saw the Merc and Audi race at St. Pete earlier in the year, and the McLaren in the paddock.
If the modifications are minor, maybe a team could run PWC and some USCR races also.
I'm not sure if many/any European GT3 teams would come to the U.S. to race PWC.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3285204)   #2620
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
What's the difference between the current spec GT3 WC cars and a full spec GT3 car? Is it the spoiler or something?
I thought GT3 cars were allowed in PWC currently because I know I saw the Merc and Audi race at St. Pete earlier in the year, and the McLaren in the paddock.
If the modifications are minor, maybe a team could run PWC and some USCR races also.
I'm not sure if many/any European GT3 teams would come to the U.S. to race PWC.
Currently only 3 makes (of gt3) were allowed in world challenge. Now they all are with the fia spec bop. I don't know if this is uscr competition directly. World challenge is a sprint series while uscr is endurance. Some teams will have to choose, but the budget required for uscr will be substantially higher.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:20 (Ref:3285206)   #2621
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Also I really like the PWC series, I saw them earlier in the year and record all the races and miss seeing them as a support race at Sebring.
Watched since the SpeedWC days.
But aren't all of their races support races?
And the tv broadcasts are highlight shows at least a week after the races.
And won't GT3 teams be turned off by the spec tire deal?
I think of the series as more of a competitor to Conti Challenge.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3285207)   #2622
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
If there was a fake Twitter account of John Dagys, how about Don Panoz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamDonPanoz
Excited that one of my first followers is an Irishman @DamienFaulkner. I love Ireland - many great family memories and amazing tax laws.

"@Jalopnik Who is the most insane automotive innovator? http://jalo.ps/f1ISHau " You mean this story isn't about me?
Old 3 Aug 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3285209)   #2623
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Currently only 3 makes (of gt3) were allowed in world challenge. Now they all are with the fia spec bop. I don't know if this is uscr competition directly. World challenge is a sprint series while uscr is endurance. Some teams will have to choose, but the budget required for uscr will be substantially higher.
I think it's a good idea on their part, put I don't foresee a huge influx of teams to the series. The GT3 McLaren has been available to run all year but nobody is running one.
Old 3 Aug 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3285227)   #2624
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps this news will help PWC develop a better TV package.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 3 Aug 2013, 01:57 (Ref:3285238)   #2625
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That Acura NSX(not street spec,racing spec) running laps at Mid-Ohio this weekend is under the control of Realtime Racing.

Peter Cunningham racing a NSX again in the GT Class next year?!!!!!!
Closed Thread