Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2987811)   #2701
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 16:45 (Ref:2987809)   #2702
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of those I've been an idiot posts!

My wife's Audi broke down outside her mothers last night. She said it started misfiring and the engine was shaking. I picked her up and went back this morning for a look. I thought an Ignition Coil had gone so tried the old trick of checking the heat on the manifold when the engine was running. Normally I do with a bit of spit. The one that's not working doesn't sizzle it away. Unfortunately there's not enough room to remove the manifold heat shield completely, so I had to use my fingers to test the heat. The plan was for my wife to start the engine and I would pull my fingers off the exhaust as it got hot and at the same time know which one wasn't working. All went well until my wedding ring got caught on the heat shield and the result is blisters on the end of two of my fingers

Part of the Wedding vows are in fitness and health, but I'm not getting much sympathy, although she's very impressed that I knew the fault (No1 Ignition Coil was faulty). Does anybody know how to reset the Engine Management light without taking it to somebody with a Diagnostic machine?
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:32 (Ref:2987838)   #2703
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine View Post
One of those I've been an idiot posts!

My wife's Audi broke down outside her mothers last night. She said it started misfiring and the engine was shaking. I picked her up and went back this morning for a look. I thought an Ignition Coil had gone so tried the old trick of checking the heat on the manifold when the engine was running. Normally I do with a bit of spit. The one that's not working doesn't sizzle it away. Unfortunately there's not enough room to remove the manifold heat shield completely, so I had to use my fingers to test the heat. The plan was for my wife to start the engine and I would pull my fingers off the exhaust as it got hot and at the same time know which one wasn't working. All went well until my wedding ring got caught on the heat shield and the result is blisters on the end of two of my fingers

Part of the Wedding vows are in fitness and health, but I'm not getting much sympathy, although she's very impressed that I knew the fault (No1 Ignition Coil was faulty). Does anybody know how to reset the Engine Management light without taking it to somebody with a Diagnostic machine?
We had an Audi that had constant faults. This is what I was told sorts it out and it worked every time:

Disconnect positive battery terminal and leave disconnected for 1 hour at least.

Then reconnect after 1 hour.

Turn ignition on but don't start the car, leave on for 30 seconds for throttle to reset.

Turn ignition off without starting, then restart car and drive normally for 10 minutes without sitting and idling the car (or as little idling as possible).

This procedure will reset the ECU, and the 10 minutes of driving re-programmes it and clears the faults.

Worked a treat on our car and I was told it works on all VW/Audi cars.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:52 (Ref:2987844)   #2704
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
The gearing choice was perfect Cliff. Waynes was way out he was red-lining less than a third of the way round the banking and would easy have beat the Jag.
LOL, I don't think my gearing was that far out (3:50) it was more a lack of revs - 1500rpm down on Cliff. 8k - sheesh. Got a few more to play with these days

Playing with me dads Bullworker when I was a kid must have had some effect - other than very slow manouvering I have no trouble with manual steering even on 8'' wide fronts and I run the quickest off the shelf steering kit you can get.

Cliff, you going to the charity bash at Snetterton next week?
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2987845)   #2705
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Flipping eck Rog I am well impressed. Tell me ,where are the 39 steps
Old 17 Nov 2011, 17:58 (Ref:2987846)   #2706
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
We had an Audi that had constant faults. This is what I was told sorts it out and it worked every time:

Disconnect positive battery terminal and leave disconnected for 1 hour at least.

Then reconnect after 1 hour.

Turn ignition on but don't start the car, leave on for 30 seconds for throttle to reset.

Turn ignition off without starting, then restart car and drive normally for 10 minutes without sitting and idling the car (or as little idling as possible).

This procedure will reset the ECU, and the 10 minutes of driving re-programmes it and clears the faults.

Worked a treat on our car and I was told it works on all VW/Audi cars.
Thanks Roger, I'll give it a go.

I believe the ECU stores the fault in it's system which is why the light stays on, even though the problem has been fixed
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2987847)   #2707
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
What on earth is up with this forum it keeps taking an age to post then doubles up. And where are all the avatars??

Last edited by Al Weyman; 17 Nov 2011 at 18:07.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2987848)   #2708
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
But you were hitting the red light so soon Wayne so it must have been way out, if you were 1500 rpm down I would have thought a 3.27 would have been the gear for you. Also Cliff was running a 276 x 60 x 15 on the back which from memory appeared a fair bit taller than your Yokos and definitely taller than my Dunlop 225 x 55 x 15's. Each to there own on power steering but both the Cobra cars had it and they are quick and the drivers recon they wouldnt like to drive without it. Maybe they have a trick very high ratio box.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2987853)   #2709
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
But you were hitting the red light so soon Wayne so it must have been way out, if you were 1500 rpm down I would have thought a 3.27 would have been the gear for you. Also Cliff was running a 276 x 60 x 15 on the back which from memory appeared a fair bit taller than your Yokos and definitely taller than my Dunlop 225 x 55 x 15's. Each to there own on power steering but both the Cobra cars had it and they are quick and the drivers recon they wouldnt like to drive without it. Maybe they have a trick very high ratio box.
Nah, I was just soooo much quicker getting out the corners onto the banking

If you remember Al we had the gearing discussion before you went over there. I did say I would run a taller gear next time (here's hoping!!)
Yeah I was running shorter tyres than that, can't remember the size now but I know there was 2 to choose from and I chose the smaller to make sure they fitted. Wouldn't surprise me if they had a special box, they didn't have one listed last time I looked at their catalogue but I know they 'test' things before offering them to the public.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2987895)   #2710
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Just managed a quick flick thorugh important bit of Autosport and seen who won the Victor Meldrew Trophy at Brands.........

Well done Gordon!

Doubt if there's anyone on here who would not congratulate that Gordon, well done indeed!!!
Old 17 Nov 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2987917)   #2711
Moosehead
Veteran

I must be too young or something as I'd never heard of the Victor Meldrew before now. Just looked it up elsewhere on here, lol, looks my kind of event

Well done Gordon

I can see where he obtained extra points though
Old 17 Nov 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2988007)   #2712
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The tyres on the back were 245/60/15 which with the 3.50 diff gave a top speed of 190 @ 8000rpm I'm told.

I gradually increased the revs used from 6500 to 7500 over the weekend as I really didn't want to lunch the engine.

The Cobra boys were running to 8300 with the same diff ratio but on Goodyear 7.00 x 15 tyres which have a diameter over 1inch shorter than the Hoosiers I ran but were screaming along the banking!

@Moose - I won't be @ Snetterton as I don't have any ubndamaged racecars left thanks to Daniel - BTW did you dig out your time from Daytona, my best was 2:09:6
Old 18 Nov 2011, 08:02 (Ref:2988121)   #2713
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes you do, his Mexico, its revenge time!!!!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 09:25 (Ref:2988142)   #2714
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks Roger, I'll give it a go.

I believe the ECU stores the fault in it's system which is why the light stays on, even though the problem has been fixed
Thats why you leave the battery disconnected for an hour.

And also, when you restart it, make sure you don't sit much with it idling. Drive it around.

Always worked for us. Only time we had issues if we didn't leave battery disconnected long enough or it sad idling after we restarted car.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2988188)   #2715
Nick JM
Veteran

United Kingdom
South Bucks
Nick JM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the olden days before LED's one would simply have taken the bulb out...of course it might have left the dashboard a bit dim but then in selling it "don't worry, they all do that Sir..."
Old 18 Nov 2011, 11:40 (Ref:2988190)   #2716
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills View Post
Thats why you leave the battery disconnected for an hour.

And also, when you restart it, make sure you don't sit much with it idling. Drive it around.

Always worked for us. Only time we had issues if we didn't leave battery disconnected long enough or it sad idling after we restarted car.
Makes you wonder about VAG software.

Younger daughter has a Golf that within days of delivery flashed up a Brake System Warning message on start up. After the 3rd such message and with her heading for London we thought it best to check it out. The AA (warranty field service supplier) came and had a look and decided it was probably OK but best to get a dealer check. 2 dealers did not seem to know (or do) anything. Then a Danish chap on a forum advised that his new Audi had the same problem (same system) and it was a software bug that would be corrected with a service update a few weeks later. So we ignored the messages for there on.

Odd, I thought, that UK dealers did not have the information that a chap on a forum could provide.

Not sure if she still sees the problem. That was 2 years ago and the car has recently had its 2 year/20k mile service. Wonder if they updated the software as part of that? She hasn't mentioned anything. I'll have to ask.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2988307)   #2717
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
ECU? points are the way forward, although it makes a pleasant change from going round in circles

here's a little something I've been cracking on with this last few weeks.

can you tell what it is yet . . .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG01111-20111118-1524.jpg  
Old 18 Nov 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2988315)   #2718
JasperClan
Racer

United Kingdom
Benwick
JasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJasperClan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talisman Chassis?
Old 18 Nov 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2988343)   #2719
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
@Moose - I won't be @ Snetterton as I don't have any ubndamaged racecars left thanks to Daniel - BTW did you dig out your time from Daytona, my best was 2:09:6
Just trawled the net - looks like best was 2:23. I know I was losing so much time on the banking as when the faster cars were lapping me I could easily stay with them under braking and all through the road course section.
BTW - it was also only my 6th ever race meeting
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:26 (Ref:2988406)   #2720
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
ECU? points are the way forward, although it makes a pleasant change from going round in circles

here's a little something I've been cracking on with this last few weeks.

can you tell what it is yet . . .
Looks like you're building a period trailer, Joe with drop down tailgate and a fancy spare wheels/tyre rack at the front!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:32 (Ref:2988413)   #2721
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Pete ( Richards) gold star . . . . it wasn't that hard though

Peter . . . . chinese burn! although its very light . . .I've been picking it up and carrying it out into the sunshine to work on it this week, then bringing it in at teatime. . . so it could make a rapid trailer. as long as it wasn't a Crustina on it!
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2988412)   #2722
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Welcome back Grant.I hear you are coming to our "HistoricFF2000 AGM" Good stuff.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2988417)   #2723
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Joe!!! can you enlighten us mere mortals what excxley you are doing with that chassis.Sorry about spelling Pete. Friday night just done my 10k run now on the sherberts.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2988418)   #2724
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Iain

restoring it, well, chassis has been shot blasted . . . .looked at, 4hrs to repair ( they where all treated internally from new so survive well generally) and another 4hrs or so for cage mounts . . . . once the paints dried I'll be nailing it together with the other boxes of bits I got . . . as luck would have it, I have an engine and gearbox . . . .sold some Fraud Crustina tat on fleabay recently and financed a full suspension rebuild . . . . just need a proper diff . . . . hopefully when spring springs I may have a pre '63 GT . . . . to use/for hire or sale . . . . as there's another one waiting in the wings. fully independant suspension, 130BHP and homologated at 612 kg suggests it should be fun . . .and having driven a few this year, I can vouch for it.

Last edited by zefarelly; 18 Nov 2011 at 19:47.
Old 18 Nov 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2988432)   #2725
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Does anybody know how to reset the Engine Management light without taking it to somebody with a Diagnostic machine?
What I'd advise anybody to do that runs an AUDI/VW/SKODA is get the Ross Tech "Vagcom" interface and CD off of the Internet.
You can buy one for 25 quid or less (obviously non genuine) and use it with a laptop. Once you get used to it it will save you a fortune as it will do anything on just about all the models (engine management/abs/airbags/central locking etc)

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 18 Nov 2011 at 20:02.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread