Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 13 Mar 2015, 09:26 (Ref:3514743)   #2701
jswarde
Rookie

Scotland
jswarde should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=miatanut;3514635]Mulsanne Mike noted they were having problems. Either on Radio LeMans or at the presentation in Chicago, Darren Cox noted the mechanical KERS is "fiendishly complicated" and that "if" they could get it to work it would be a big advantage.....

I would also call a Wankel engine an immature technology.....

miatanut; thanks for the reply; I have to agree that the Torotrak/Flybrid is not mature; just not all that immature; Flywheel Kers are really as old as the hills but in a lot different and simpler form than the current developments. You also expose one of my personal frailties for immature technology having hankered after an NSU RO80 in the 60's and finally purchased a Mazda Wankel engine RX in the 70's.

I can declare an interest in Torotrak as a long term investor; Clearly Nissan are trying to push the boundaries of application of the Flybrid in terms of power but the technologies employed are pretty well tried and tested. The flywheel is simpler than the Audi version (described by some as an electric flywheel accumulator) and runs at a similar speed. The clutch based CFT transmission uses well tested automatic transmission technology albeit with one gear shaft running at fiendishly high rpm - same speed as the flywheel.

Some of the fiendish complication mentioned by Darren is probably the same as Audi experienced in 2010/11 trying to develop their car; weight reduction of the basic race car to accommodate the extra KERS kit is a real challenge. That certainly seems to be one of the big issues for Nissan; trying to become AWD requires fiendishly complicated rear drive connections to try and avoid interfering with the aerodynamic duct flow. This rear drive gear also adds to the weight issue.

Conclusion; Yes Nissan are being very ambitious both technologically and on timescale. They do not expect a lot in 2015 and some might question their wisdom in airing so much development in public as their PR has done but I hope they can get enough success this year to push on and deliver next year.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 13:43 (Ref:3514809)   #2702
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
Another nifty concept lacking only development.
Yeah, with the Stirling, people have only been playing with since the early 1800's.

I thought this amusing and related to the thread...Googled "Stirling Engine" and found this twin flywheel Stirling!

http://www.sci-supply.com/Flywheel-S...FU4V7AodRH0AOQ
Old 13 Mar 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3514879)   #2703
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=jswarde;3514743]
Quote:
Mulsanne Mike noted they were having problems. Either on Radio LeMans or at the presentation in Chicago, Darren Cox noted the mechanical KERS is "fiendishly complicated" and that "if" they could get it to work it would be a big advantage.....

I would also call a Wankel engine an immature technology.....

miatanut; thanks for the reply; I have to agree that the Torotrak/Flybrid is not mature; just not all that immature; Flywheel Kers are really as old as the hills but in a lot different and simpler form than the current developments. You also expose one of my personal frailties for immature technology having hankered after an NSU RO80 in the 60's and finally purchased a Mazda Wankel engine RX in the 70's.

I can declare an interest in Torotrak as a long term investor; Clearly Nissan are trying to push the boundaries of application of the Flybrid in terms of power but the technologies employed are pretty well tried and tested. The flywheel is simpler than the Audi version (described by some as an electric flywheel accumulator) and runs at a similar speed. The clutch based CFT transmission uses well tested automatic transmission technology albeit with one gear shaft running at fiendishly high rpm - same speed as the flywheel.

Some of the fiendish complication mentioned by Darren is probably the same as Audi experienced in 2010/11 trying to develop their car; weight reduction of the basic race car to accommodate the extra KERS kit is a real challenge. That certainly seems to be one of the big issues for Nissan; trying to become AWD requires fiendishly complicated rear drive connections to try and avoid interfering with the aerodynamic duct flow. This rear drive gear also adds to the weight issue.

Conclusion; Yes Nissan are being very ambitious both technologically and on timescale. They do not expect a lot in 2015 and some might question their wisdom in airing so much development in public as their PR has done but I hope they can get enough success this year to push on and deliver next year.
I agree in a sense flywheel energy storage has been around for ages, but putting it in moving vehicles, requiring doing it as compactly and light weight as possible, is a new challenge. I feel like a lot of the problem has been going the CFT route instead lobbying for the Torotrak CVT. With flywheel energy storage revolving around using energy from one thing that is spinning down to spin up another thing, it just screams for a CVT. If the output from the CVT went to the input shaft of the conventional transmission, it would conform to "the spirit of the rules." The CFT requires a whole lot of weight for gearbox relative to the flywheel weight. The Torotrak CVT is a much more elegant solution.
Old 13 Mar 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3514880)   #2704
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswarde View Post

Now not running the REAR hybrid system is not really anything to do with the system supplier; it is more likely a decision by Nissan not to install or connect up the Kers system to the rear wheels either for weight reasons or because the total package is simply not ready.
It's all about weight.

Quote:
Of course the Darren and Ben quotes may not be telling the whole story; time will tell. As an amusing aside some folk are saying that the Kers has not been running at all whilst others are saying the Kers is responsible for the "failure. Sounds a bit inconsistent to me.
It should. Tub was broken at a mounting point. How the car is built, front half to rear half, it clearly wasn't reinforced properly. Something they found running at Sebring, nothing was working during the test with their suspension setups, grip etc..based on computer modeling and simulations. When the found the break, it was time to head back and repair the tub.

Quote:
Personally I think that the Kers has probably been run but on FWD only (implied at least from the Ben Bowlby quote above) and it could be the source of some severe reaction torque that could have overloaded the powertrain mounting.
It has been run front only, it's done a 40+ hour test. The KERS is fine, it's the whole package that needs work. Reaction torque would be pretty impressive, but, really, really, really unlikely. It was simply the flex in the chassis.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Mar 2015, 18:31 (Ref:3514881)   #2705
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Yeah, with the Stirling, people have only been playing with since the early 1800's.

I thought this amusing and related to the thread...Googled "Stirling Engine" and found this twin flywheel Stirling!

http://www.sci-supply.com/Flywheel-S...FU4V7AodRH0AOQ
Longevity and amount of development are different things!
Old 14 Mar 2015, 00:34 (Ref:3514961)   #2706
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Longevity and amount of development are different things!
What if a Stirling Engine could fit in your hand and weigh a few ounces or pounds and generate 1,000 watts of power from wasted heat?

You speak of the amount of development, here is a Google representation of the topic...

https://www.google.com/search?q=stir...w=1343&bih=888

They have also been identified as one of the most efficient engines on Earth and they are hanging them out in front of solar collectors in a perfect marriage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sola...w=1343&bih=888

Last edited by CyberMotor; 14 Mar 2015 at 00:39.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 01:26 (Ref:3514967)   #2707
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
What if a Stirling Engine could fit in your hand and weigh a few ounces or pounds and generate 1,000 watts of power from wasted heat?

You speak of the amount of development, here is a Google representation of the topic...

https://www.google.com/search?q=stir...w=1343&bih=888

They have also been identified as one of the most efficient engines on Earth and they are hanging them out in front of solar collectors in a perfect marriage.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sola...w=1343&bih=888
I hope they are successful.

I'm a tree-hugger but the massive subsidies for solar PV have always irritated me. For the US, they just mean a lot of money going to China, where solar thermal, or wind, and other technologies like this can actually generate power cheaper and are more likely to be fabricated domestically.
Old 14 Mar 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3515083)   #2708
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Most of the energy recovery technologies require movement or engine performance to generate the extra energy. With the Stirling model, it needs a source of external heat to work and there is plenty of that in an LMP1. Even when the car is sitting still in the pits with the engine off, there is still a substantial amount of heat coming off the engine, the exhaust, the brakes, the tires and the driver. I've seen people build miniature V-12 models that work so I think small palm-sized engines could be built that would generate electricity. We are in an age of extreme innovation right now so thinking outside the box.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 06:10 (Ref:3515304)   #2709
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
the massive subsidies for solar PV have always irritated me.
The solar subsidies are miniscule compared to the oil subsidies so not sure why you have a beef there.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3515574)   #2710
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
Quote:
Most of the energy recovery technologies require movement or engine performance to generate the extra energy. With the Stirling model, it needs a source of external heat to work and there is plenty of that in an LMP1. Even when the car is sitting still in the pits with the engine off, there is still a substantial amount of heat coming off the engine, the exhaust, the brakes, the tires and the driver. I've seen people build miniature V-12 models that work so I think small palm-sized engines could be built that would generate electricity. We are in an age of extreme innovation right now so thinking outside the box.
My impression of the Stirling engine is that is is great on fuel efficiency, but not so good on output against size or weight, so it is a good choice for a stationary engine that can enjoy the benefits of the efficiency and size and weight are secondary considerations. Kind of the opposite of a Wankel. If my impression is correct, it wouldn't work well on a racing car, but might make sense on a ship.
Quote:
The solar subsidies are miniscule compared to the oil subsidies so not sure why you have a beef there.
I'm against oil subsidies too. The biggest subsidy is being able to dump millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere, tax free.

My gripe is solar PV has gotten huge subsidies while wind can generate power for far less money, so we could be generating far more power from renewal resources for the same subsidy money. Plus, in the US, most of the solar PV subsidy money goes off shore, working well for Chinese workers, but not so well for American workers. Most of the money for large wind installations stays in the US.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3515588)   #2711
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
We could have had free, wireless electricity if Nikola Tesla had his way. But this is veering off topic. I haven't heard anything about another scheduled test for Nissan. They need to get on it if theyre to make the prologue.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 22:19 (Ref:3515599)   #2712
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, they do have 15-20 more test days being a new team vs the 50 free private test days that Audi, Toyota, and other established teams get.

But even with that, all indications are that 2015 for sure will be a fraught time for Nissan, especially early. The WEC Prologue test days and pre-LM rounds do look to be a gloomy and trying time just like in F1 for McLaren Honda where even finishing a race will be a victory in itself.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 22:35 (Ref:3515613)   #2713
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Im not talking about their total test days. Im referring to them wanting to test again before the prologue. If theyre going to do that itd need to have already happened, or happen this week.
Old 15 Mar 2015, 23:17 (Ref:3515635)   #2714
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Im not talking about their total test days. Im referring to them wanting to test again before the prologue. If theyre going to do that itd need to have already happened, or happen this week.
Just pointing out that by being a new team, they should have more days to use. And considering how much of a debacle the Sebring test ended up being, they need to get more miles on the car just to validate whatever fixes that they made, and just to get more miles on it.

Nissan is running out of time as far the start of the season, and it's obviously going to be a difficult one of them. Difficult seemingly being a bit understatement.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 14:13 (Ref:3516322)   #2715
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have heard from some insiders in Australia that the Nissan was 14 sec off the pace at Sebring and that they won’t be able to race more than 2MJ.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 14:35 (Ref:3516332)   #2716
philipp
Rookie

Brazil
philipp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
I have heard from some insiders in Australia that the Nissan was 14 sec off the pace at Sebring and that they won’t be able to race more than 2MJ.
That's a lot......

I just hope that they can find some speed so it won't be so embarrassing!
Old 17 Mar 2015, 15:38 (Ref:3516352)   #2717
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
That's a lot......

I just hope that they can find some speed so it won't be so embarrassing!
The tub was broken at a mounting point. Nothing that was done suspension setup wise, would make any difference. The speed will come.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3516365)   #2718
Wild Dog
Rookie

Denmark
Denmark
Wild Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autosport, Nissan has withdrawn from Silverstone and Spa... Not the start they could've hoped for.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118109
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3516366)   #2719
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not surprising really but we won't see the team in action until LM Test day now...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2015/0...t-le-mans.html
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:23 (Ref:3516370)   #2720
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Oh dear, let's hope they get the car to a semi-competitive state for Le Mans at least.

It really seems like Nissan has bitten off more than they could chew.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:25 (Ref:3516371)   #2721
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
They are pathetic that is what they are. They don´t make a normal car becuase they already know that they are going to fail anyway. I swear I will never buy a Nissan. Hats off to them.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3516373)   #2722
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Oh dear, let's hope they get the car to a semi-competitive state for Le Mans at least.
They will.

Quote:
It really seems like Nissan has bitten off more than they could chew.
Nope. Just teething issues. They will get it solved. Rather have a semi-quick, reliable car than one that breaks two minutes into the race at Silverstone.
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:29 (Ref:3516374)   #2723
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
They are pathetic that is what they are. They don´t make a normal car becuase they already know that they are going to fail anyway. I swear I will never buy a Nissan. Hats off to them.
Stupidest statement I've read in here.

Do you seriously think that Nissan would front this amount of cash because " they already know that they are going to fail" Please...
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:30 (Ref:3516376)   #2724
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pathetic is the only word to describe this joke.
Even the amr-one was able to take part to a race in late march...
Old 17 Mar 2015, 16:32 (Ref:3516377)   #2725
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post

Nope. Just teething issues. They will get it solved. Rather have a semi-quick, reliable car than one that breaks two minutes into the race at Silverstone.
They seem to have all kinds of issues though, it's not just one thing.

Right now it seems the car is neither fast or reliable and that is a bad place to be in. Looking in from the outside this really seems to be another AMR-One in the making, at least Aston Martin was smart enough not to set the bar high for themselves.

Nissan on the other hand..oh well, the "bad boys" really need to deliver something respectable if they don't want to look completely foolish.
Closed Thread