Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:18 (Ref:2566439)   #251
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Canadian F1 race is supposed to be June 6th, this has the FIA GT date as July 4th. So, not sure where this race will be.... Mosport??
Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2566446)   #252
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, Mosport is a PMG track. That may be counter productive concerning other PMG interests. (?)

L.P.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 16:39 (Ref:2566460)   #253
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Hmm, Mosport is a PMG track. That may be counter productive concerning other PMG interests. (?)

L.P.
Mosport has operated on the basis of being a stand alone profit center. They have hosted Grand Am races in the past, as well as a weekend in 2009 with Trans Am, and both Speed WC series. There is no danger of a FIA GT weekend taking away spectators from the ALMS event at all, it is simply one of the best draws on the ALMS calendar.

A July 4th weekend, with FIA GT, Speed WC and perhaps SCCA Trans Am would be a pretty strong card and give the track another well attended event (you'd think)... just speculating for now.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 17:01 (Ref:2566480)   #254
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
None of the series named have any chance of internal influence on PMG, whereas the FIA GT-1 series could exert some. Which has met opposition by the major GT participants in the ALMS, which is the PMG Jewel. Different scenario IMO.
Also are not these rounds fairly expensive to host?? The Rats not doing it for free!

L.P.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 17:47 (Ref:2566497)   #255
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so San Luis track isnt on there next year ? I throught that was going to start the year ?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2566513)   #256
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlracing View Post
So it looks from Ratel's comments that the Maserati will be in, but not the Saleen...that surely raises some questions:

- How many of each have been built?
- Apart from the Nissan, none of the other accepted cars can rally be described as 'new' (which is one of his criteria)?
- Why the limit on 6 manufacturers?
- Do we really want to watch six sets of four cars, all artificially 'performance-equalised'?

The trouble with SRO is it is utterly inconsistent in its management:

- At one time you were more likely to get an FIA GT entry if you had a 'different' car
- They have variously stated they either "do" or "don't" want to rely on manufacturers
- They have variously wanted the championship to be "all professional" then "pro-am" then "to attract the gentleman driver"
- It was supposed to be endurance racing, now it's sprint racing

Bored now.
They already had a great series in the form of GT3 with BPR GT like girds in terms of size and variety, this should have been built on.

Now they seem to be going along the DTM route, but without major manufactuer backing, plus the extra burden of travelling around the world.

You could understand if there was a demand for this sort of thing, but it seems to be going against manufactuers, teams and fans wishes.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2566628)   #257
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.fia.com/en-GB/mediacentre...sc_211009.aspx

Lists the Spa 24 Hours as the event for Belgium.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 21:21 (Ref:2566647)   #258
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
It's interesting, I notice the FIA's calendar only lists one day. I thought the plan was for a race on Saturday and a race on Sunday? Has this plan been abandoned?
Old 21 Oct 2009, 21:29 (Ref:2566654)   #259
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
It's interesting, I notice the FIA's calendar only lists one day. I thought the plan was for a race on Saturday and a race on Sunday? Has this plan been abandoned?
And GT1 is back in for the 24hr? I hope so!

And as for San Luis-what are SRO thinking? The championship has lost a great circuit. I cant see the teams that are currently in the championship (with the exception of Vitaphone and possibly AF Corse) being able to fund a world tour as such.

And no race in Australia. ???? But it is nice to see FIA GT back in North America again.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2566676)   #260
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The FIA press release also mentions that the GT3 calendar has been approved, but there is no list of it yet that I've seen. I assume Silverstone, Brno, Paul Ricard, Nurburgring, and Algarve will be on it.
Old 21 Oct 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2566687)   #261
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
And GT1 is back in for the 24hr? I hope so!

And as for San Luis-what are SRO thinking? The championship has lost a great circuit. I cant see the teams that are currently in the championship (with the exception of Vitaphone and possibly AF Corse) being able to fund a world tour as such.

And no race in Australia. ???? But it is nice to see FIA GT back in North America again.
No - SRO confirmed that GT2 will headline the 4 hours
Old 22 Oct 2009, 03:02 (Ref:2566795)   #262
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
My understanding for some time now has been that SRO is covering the travel expenses/logistics: hence the 24-car, 6-make limit to allow the whole show to be flown overseas on a single aircraft.

And I agree, get San Luis on that schedule!
Old 22 Oct 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2567153)   #263
tlracing
Rookie

tlracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
No - SRO confirmed that GT2 will headline the 4 hours
Shouldn't that be 24 hours?

I thought Ratel had said:

GT1 = 2 x 1hr
GT2 = 2 x 1hr but only if it's on at the same event at GT1, otherwise if it's a standalone event it's 1 x 2hr unless it's alongside GT1 but in Belgium in which case it's 1 x 24hr...

...after which I need to lie down
Old 22 Oct 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2567388)   #264
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Finger trouble Tim - 24 hours
Old 23 Oct 2009, 00:27 (Ref:2567549)   #265
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
Is the ACO planning to have a test day again this year, because it looks like the Paul Ricard round would be the same weekend as a LM Test Weekend.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2567556)   #266
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The test day is probably gone for good, at least in the near future.
Old 23 Oct 2009, 00:50 (Ref:2567559)   #267
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I wasn't sure how successful the ACO viewed this year's schedule.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2568566)   #268
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I emailed the FIA GT ENglish commentators about the 2010 GT1 calendar, and they responded to say that Gilles Villeneuve is the leading candidate for Canada, and that San Luis, Argentina seems to have run into financial difficulties.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 11:32 (Ref:2568625)   #269
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
No - SRO confirmed that GT2 will headline the 24 hours
Looks even more bizzare than that - the GT3 championship does not have the Spa 24hr on the calender; so the entry list will just be GT2 + anyone who wants to race for fun.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2568631)   #270
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
No - it will be a GT2 Championship round and a stand alone event for GT3 runners
Old 24 Oct 2009, 16:47 (Ref:2568767)   #271
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
I emailed the FIA GT ENglish commentators about the 2010 GT1 calendar, and they responded to say that Gilles Villeneuve is the leading candidate for Canada, and that San Luis, Argentina seems to have run into financial difficulties.
According to the current contract, Gilles Villeneuve is allowed TWO races a year. Given there is an F1 race in June, and the NASCAR event in August, it seems as though that two race quota is currently used up. Either they get the contract changed, or they'll be looking elsewhere.

A FIA GT race at Montreal...... the attendance would be ... underwhelming..

Run it at Mosport along with Trans Am and Speed WC... you'd have 40,000+ on race day with proper advertising.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2568798)   #272
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm a bit surprised Canada is even on there. It seems like the overseas sportscar series have shied away from the place since the Winkelhock crash in '85, Pareja's accident in '90, not to mention John Paul Jr's smash up at Mosport in 1995.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:41 (Ref:2568844)   #273
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
A FIA GT race at Montreal...... the attendance would be ... underwhelming..
I am not so sure I agree with that, that circuit seems well attended for all races there? Mosport would be a better venue though, I agree. Too bad the GT2 cars won't be racing with the GT1's next year, it would be nice to see them a little closer to (my) home.
Old 24 Oct 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2568852)   #274
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
I wonder if Ratel is banking on Bernie not being able to make a deal for the F1 race in Canada?
Old 24 Oct 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2568865)   #275
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I am not so sure I agree with that, that circuit seems well attended for all races there? Mosport would be a better venue though, I agree. Too bad the GT2 cars won't be racing with the GT1's next year, it would be nice to see them a little closer to (my) home.
Wasn't there a Group C race there with about 4 people in the stands?