Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Sep 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1420728)   #251
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
over to you on that one Mr Mallett!
Old 30 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1420730)   #252
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have a look at:
www.mallettracing.co.uk
Old 30 Sep 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1420787)   #253
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
like mine . . .its a real replica

we keep the real ones in the display cabinet at home
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:04 (Ref:1420859)   #254
Pils1989
Rookie

Switzerland
Gland, Switzerland
Pils1989 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry... it's Belga, not Bastos!
Strange error from a Belgian smoker
Old 30 Sep 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1420864)   #255
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great pics, anyway. Love the Aston, too!
Old 30 Sep 2005, 13:14 (Ref:1420911)   #256
tatounet
Racer

Belgium
tatounet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Great pics, anyway. Love the Aston, too!

Thank's
Had great fun !
Good to be 30 years before with a 2005 APN.

Regards
Old 30 Sep 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1421151)   #257
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
spa

Fantastic photos - where can we see others? Thanks, Robert
Old 1 Oct 2005, 00:06 (Ref:1421350)   #258
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
they are fantastic photos! need I say more . . . a pleasure to see. thanks
Old 1 Oct 2005, 07:06 (Ref:1421440)   #259
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree, nice pictures. The Cortina looks superb in that angle. Shame about the marshal with the yellow flag. Not the best way to do it.
But that's the belgian way.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 07:15 (Ref:1421442)   #260
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Tatounet,

As Zef says its a replica of the 78 car. However this year we had Alexandre Pilette co driving (very well too) and of course Teddy and John Pilette came along to support.

Great pictures, thank you.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 08:25 (Ref:1421466)   #261
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
To many cars,wrong mix,etc People driving like prats etc.and we led after two hours. Will think hard before we enter again. Another question,does anyone know where I can get a decent photo of the Talbot and Alta in the pre war race.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1421478)   #262
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not having anything to judge it by has anybody done any other long distance historic race? If so what is better/worse?

Agree re the standards, but I think its the Spa effect. Newer drivers go there and think they're going to be the next Clarke, Senna or whatever. They get out there and all of a sudden what looks like loads of space is filled with cars and barriers.

I was surprised to see one car carrying a yellow/black cross in one of the supports!

Marcus Pye also bemoans the differing classes and whilst not being specific certainly is not impressed with the FHR (?) cars or indeed the tyre anomolies.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1421517)   #263
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First time at Spa, first time with new camera and lenses - results are here: http://david7166.fotopic.net/c708563.html
Old 1 Oct 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1421525)   #264
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Very good pics there Riley54.

As a first timer what were your impressions of the meeting?
Old 1 Oct 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1421528)   #265
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting to compare lap times of Laidlaw 904/6 with the similar car in 6hours.The 6 hour car must have one hell of an engine!
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1421560)   #266
Pils1989
Rookie

Switzerland
Gland, Switzerland
Pils1989 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pils1989
Here are some pictures of Peter's Capri
http://homepage.mac.com/rootsnetwork/PhotoAlbum92.html
I've added more pictures taken by Teddy on my webpage
I wish I had been there
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1421562)   #267
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley54
First time at Spa, first time with new camera and lenses - results are here: http://david7166.fotopic.net/c708563.html
great photo's - I would love a copy of two of them - maybe you could pm me asto how to get hold of you
many thanks
Simon
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1421563)   #268
simon drabble
Veteran

The 904/6 was suppposed to have a 2.4 I think (against IL proper engine) but agree with JR it was a tad too fast! Why would someone with a car that could have won the proper race hot rod his car and only enter the other cup? nought stranger than FHR folk!!!!!!!!
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:41 (Ref:1421564)   #269
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

What lap times does something like Peter Mallett"s capri do?
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1421565)   #270
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Simon ,it along with the other porsche's should have 2 litre engines,They all may have been a tad understated!
Old 1 Oct 2005, 12:56 (Ref:1421568)   #271
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Very good pics there Riley54.

As a first timer what were your impressions of the meeting?
You're too kind, I'm far from happy with the pics but thought I'd share them. The last time I was trackside with a camera I didn't wear spectacles!

The meeting.... some stunning cars (I'm just getting into classic racing), some nightmarishing driving, some preventable accidents (two under a Safety Car for heaven's sake!!), standards of marshalling that wouldn't be tolerated in GB (I was at the top of Eau Rouge, the marshals were having a sit-down barbeque when Andrew Spence had his accident), the security was lax (spectators inside the fence, photographers with point & click cameras).

I saw cars, particularly the Talbots, I've always wanted to see on a track (wife's great-uncle raced a Talbot at Brooklands). There was such a warm, friendly atmosphere in the paddock, unlike at the BTCC meetings I attended a decade ago.

Memo to self: brush up picture-taking skills before next season!
Old 1 Oct 2005, 13:04 (Ref:1421573)   #272
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Was that Mr Gilbert in AYL 7
Old 1 Oct 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1421578)   #273
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
What lap times does something like Peter Mallett"s capri do?
Skid Scarborough has the quickest group 1 Capri and he does something like 3.01 but he runs Dunlop D98s (the semi slick tyre). We can do 3:12s on D84's but we were hampered this year by clutch problems. Our best of the entire weekend was set by Al Pilette at 3:16.4 in Top Hat practice.

The other Capri out there (the Mak 1) was putting in 3:10s but he was running lightweight bodywork and triple carbs thus he was 20bhp plus, better off.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1421580)   #274
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston
Was that Mr Gilbert in AYL 7
Yes, that was him. When his widow died a few years ago we discovered an album of photos from Brooklands. They are what got me interested in historic racing.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1421629)   #275
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Thanks Peter,the various photos on the thread are superb although still missing the Alta.A car that can do 3.02 would be competitive in Carols series assuming the series survives the takeover. I now know who Peter Mallett is having seen him stride up the grid to La Source on Sunday morning,what was he doing at the back?