Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 7 Feb 2008, 09:55 (Ref:2123109)   #251
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's that, two Ivory Towers I see.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 22:03 (Ref:2123598)   #252
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thats funny John the picture does remind me of a couple of Clerk of the Course i know. " Jolly good chaps "
Old 7 Feb 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2123617)   #253
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Back to last weeks episode, what I liked about the American racing was the enthasis on the cars not the drivers and I though this was refreshing and quite the opposite to Goodwood where so many old 'names' seem to be out there to prove how good they were. (Thats the great thing when you get to my age and you dont have anything to live up to i.e. past glories, you can just go out and enjoy your racing with nothing to prove).

Sorry but I liked the American version better than the UK balls out win at all costs even if you wreck an irreplacable old car worth in excess of £1 million. I thought that sports car that that the over enthusiastic driver chucked into a barrier at the last Goodwood meeting completely destroying all the bodywork was a prime example.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2123696)   #254
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Back to last weeks episode, what I liked about the American racing was the enthasis on the cars not the drivers and I though this was refreshing and quite the opposite to Goodwood where so many old 'names' seem to be out there to prove how good they were. (Thats the great thing when you get to my age and you dont have anything to live up to i.e. past glories, you can just go out and enjoy your racing with nothing to prove).

Sorry but I liked the American version better than the UK balls out win at all costs even if you wreck an irreplacable old car worth in excess of £1 million. I thought that sports car that that the over enthusiastic driver chucked into a barrier at the last Goodwood meeting completely destroying all the bodywork was a prime example.
Careful Al, you fall into the

"Its about a guy who owns a car worth no more than £5k (because it has to be real, right) and he prepares it himself which is tough as he only makes very little money (as thats more "real"). It would make it even better if he had a famous father! He tows it to every event himself and doesn't have anyone to help him at races. He scorns anyone and everyone as hes bitter and angry at the world, especially anyone with a car nicer than his. And any car faster than his is owned by a "hooray Henry cheque book racer" who is obviously cheating. And he drives Cadwell in the wet. With ABBA playing in the background."

I know you prefer T-Rex to ABBA though!!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2123860)   #255
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
No, no thats not me, still get me cheque book out even if its only for parts to build my own engines (wanna see my current Summit Racing bill!? ) and don't have a famous dad

Seriously though it may be a good subject for a poll;

Do you race your car because you love the cars (probably me)?

You love the adrenilin buzz and excitement of the race itself and care little about what you drive as long as you are out there (definitely not me).

Or a bit of both (maybe me).
Old 8 Feb 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2124058)   #256
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Al Weyman]No, no thats not me, still get me cheque book out even if its only for parts to build my own engines (wanna see my current Summit Racing bill!? ) and don't have a famous dad

You love the Adrenalin buzz and excitement of the race itself and care little about what you drive as long as you are out there (definitely not me).[quote]

I'm not too bothered about which car's I race,some are more appealing than others ,the DB2 was lovely.That is not to say that "I dont care about them"
though. The "B" is OK but was never the intended choice,nice thing about it is that it can be raced just about anywhere.
Old 8 Feb 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2124088)   #257
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta
Thats funny John the picture does remind me of a couple of Clerk of the Course i know. " Jolly good chaps "
Careful!!!!! We know where you live!
Old 8 Feb 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2124247)   #258
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont bother going round there John,remember,YOU have the upper hand,the slightest transgression etc etc.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2128085)   #259
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa 6 Hour on this Sunday.....
Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:34 (Ref:2128121)   #260
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
Spa 6 Hour on this Sunday.....
.....starring Roger Wills....again?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2128129)   #261
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was not sugesting that you were one of them John. Looking foward to Sundays showing from Spa. Hope they use some of Gordons footage. The last two programmes have been a little tame.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2128137)   #262
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't think so. They wanted to put a camera in the Vette for the 6 hours but it didn't behave. I suspect there will be some footage of it in a million bits and lots of long faces in Equipe Wills.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2128180)   #263
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Mind you,having the fork lift in to lift the engine out might make something of the valliant effort to get it up and running properly.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2128225)   #264
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah I thought last sundays episode was a bit cack, was I right in only counting just 10 cars in the race?
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2128290)   #265
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Yeah I thought last sundays episode was a bit cack, was I right in only counting just 10 cars in the race?

No idea Al,I did'nt bother with it.
Old 13 Feb 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2128296)   #266
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Actually on reflection it may have been only 8 cars!
Old 14 Feb 2008, 06:23 (Ref:2128466)   #267
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Actually on reflection it may have been only 8 cars!

Dam,seems like I missed some really exciting racing.Although I'm told that it was more a demonstration than a race.?
Old 14 Feb 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2128515)   #268
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah and to be honest I came in from building an engine to watch it as I cannot get free view doen the garage, I hope its better this sunday. I thought that Chinese American lady Lulu(?) racing the Ferrari was a bit of a character though. Also the Aston that won it and beat the Allard (what engine is in that thing?) was going very well, actually the closing laps were quite close as we all know it only needs two to have a good race.
Old 14 Feb 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2128527)   #269
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know how many cars there were, and they did tend to focus on just a few, but there were some fabulous ones there. I noted some pretty close racing, albeit too briefly. That Allard was a bit of a revelation; never seen that before; apparently the second last Allard ever built. It had an Elva Courier GT style back end with a Cobra...ish front end. Fitted with a 6 litre V8, it was rocketship in a straight line, but the Aston was quicker over a whole lap. I thought it was OK, although, as before, I would have liked to see more of the cars and on track action.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2129425)   #270
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
so what time is Spa 6 Hour on Sunday on Channel Dave? I could do with a Spa fix - albeit on the telly!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 09:51 (Ref:2129457)   #271
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Around 1.30 - 2pm ish. I quite like it, if there's nothing else on of an evening, although it gets beaten into a poor third if the Rugby is on!

I can only assume that the producer is doing this out of his own pocket, but well done him, I hope he makes a go of it and starts to get some advertising on there. Good luck to him I say!

Old 15 Feb 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2129601)   #272
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that this is more interesting - I made my husband watch and then fell asleep half way through (we are an hour ahead!) he also said he would rather watch paint dry!
Old 16 Feb 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2130079)   #273
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
It will be shown 4 times tomorrow:

GT Racer

Sun 17 Feb 14:00-15:00 Dave

Sun 17 Feb 15:00-16:00 Dave +1

Sun 17 Feb 19:00-20:00 Dave

Sun 17 Feb 20:00-21:00 Dave +1

Belgium: The series about classic car racing here makes a proverbial pit stop in Spa. Classic car enthusiasts pull up at the starting grid of the famous Ardennes circuit.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2130084)   #274
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Be-ing screened that much just goes to prove the circuits popularity.
Old 16 Feb 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2130463)   #275
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
Each episode has been shown the same number of times.