Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 9 Mar 2009, 02:09 (Ref:2411773)   #251
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Stig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks...I've been waiting for someone to post something, anything. This forum's been kind of dead lately. I have a new design that should be up soon, so hopefully that will revive things.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 14:29 (Ref:2412217)   #252
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking the exact same thing, there Stig. The problem is that my computer had to be sent back, but is now dispatched to be returned to me. I have a couple of ideas hand drawn, though, so they'll be converted to SketchUp in the next couple weeks.
Old 9 Mar 2009, 23:16 (Ref:2412617)   #253
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the moment i've had a lot on recently so i haven't had too much time to post on here
Old 30 Mar 2009, 03:11 (Ref:2428629)   #254
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm gonna revive this place a bit by adding the only track I've completed that isn't one I've posted before, and it's called Mount Glenwood. I based it on corners and elevations from the Bathurst and Phillip Island circuits.

I did write a description for it last week when I was GOING to post it but then I wasn't logged in anymore so it was a waste of time and I can't be bothered with a detailed description right now, but.....

Turn 1 is downhill into T2, T3&4 are uphill, the next straight is flat, T5 is a steep rise much like The Cutting at Bathurst, T6 is still uphill, from T7 it's steepish downhill, it's downhill until T10 but more gradual. T10&11 are like the Hay Shed/Lukey Heights/MG Corner at Phillip Island, down from there through T12 then flat for the T13 hairpin. Flat through the short straight, uphill through T14 then flat for T15 and the S/F straight.

There you have it. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Mount Glenwood.jpg  
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2428984)   #255
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I like it.

THe only thing I'd change is to flip the paddock to the other side of the straight, that way the pit entry would be before Turn 15, with the pit exit, just after the exit from T1...this would keep it off the racing line.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 02:13 (Ref:2430227)   #256
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thanks SBF. I figured if it works for Phillip Island, it would be worth trying in this one. I know track-wise it's on the wrong side and you're right, if things had to be different, I would put it on the opposite side.

Hope it picks up soon around here eh, SBF. I'm currently working on a couple of new ones that should be up not far from now.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 05:09 (Ref:2432937)   #257
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
Bathurst and Phillip Island are both great circuits!

Anyway...I like it, especially the section from the second corner all the way up to turn 8. The elevation is also well thought out too. My only issue is that turns 9 and 12 are too similar and a bit repetitive - I would keep one and not the other, but that's me.
Old 4 Apr 2009, 13:31 (Ref:2433227)   #258
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Switching the paddock to the other side also will give spectators at the start/finisch grandstand a better view on the first and thel last corner.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 02:18 (Ref:2437827)   #259
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
All good points there guys, thx for those.
Old 4 May 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2455218)   #260
olivk
Rookie

Switzerland
Switzerland
olivk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool tracks! Just 1 critical comment : when the cars exit the pitlane, they should not collide with those on the track, therefore keep in mind to put the pitlane exit (and entrance, but thats okay that way on your design) somewhere where it's on the "quiet" side of the track. Both pitlane designs on your track exit right at the inner entrance of curves, where all cars running by will be.
O.
Old 9 May 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2458567)   #261
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Hi, olivk. BTW, I'm well aware of that but that's just how I wanted it for this particular track. Like I mentioned before, if it works for Phillip Island, it can work here as the first corner for mine and PI have similar characteristics.

Oh, and I've just realised that I've turned 1 year old today!!
Old 23 May 2009, 06:41 (Ref:2467457)   #262
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
New track time.

This one's called Eldridge Heights Mountain Circuit. The shape was based on a cloud I saw, so I had to hurry before it changed shape as it disappeared. No location in the real world, but the elevations go as such:

Downhill all the way to T6, flat, then up from T8-11 then flat for the approach to T12. Up again on the exit, then momentarily flat after T14, down a bit through T15 and up again for T16, then a sudden descent down to T20. Then a more gradual descent down to T21 and up for the 1st part of the S/F straight.

Necessary comments and criticisms are welcome. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Eldridge Heights Mountain Circuit.jpg  
Old 24 May 2009, 15:14 (Ref:2468286)   #263
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks bloddy fantastic mate Nowhere on the circuit to relax, atleast at bathurst there is a few loing straights, but here, you are thrown straight into it with that thrilling downhill section, looks like you would slide most of the way down it.

Well done
Old 24 May 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2468453)   #264
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
It reminds me in certain ways of Spa, Rouen, and Westwood (defunct Canadian road course). I love it!
Old 24 May 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2468475)   #265
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to say that to get every little curve in as intended I think that 5.4km might be a little small.

I'd love to say add another 1-1.5kms to it, so that every curve mattered, but that would take it out of the lap length for many series.
Old 24 May 2009, 22:41 (Ref:2468493)   #266
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think 4 miles (~6.4km) is about right. Hey, DTM runs Spa and Mugello periodically. A lot of other "smaller" series I doubt are likely to bother with a track of over 3 miles anyway (BTCC for instance). So I don't think it's that big of a concern.
Old 27 May 2009, 03:03 (Ref:2469941)   #267
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Oooh, I'm happy now! Thanks a bunch guys!

On what Nicky mentioned with the first section, it is very much like Rouen and if you were to slide through every corner down to T6, it would be very exciting viewing if it was wet.

If it's in the best interests with the masses, would you like to see my next track while I'm on a roll?
Old 31 May 2009, 19:18 (Ref:2472846)   #268
LibertyBell
Rookie

Canada
Soviet Canuckistan
LibertyBell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After looking at some of those designs you've posted here, I don't think your name should be TilkeWannabe.

It should be something like WayBetterThanTilke.

This stuff is 100% pure genius. Good job.

If everybody disagrees about every issue in the world, shouldn't that mean that everybody's wrong?
Old 2 Jun 2009, 06:16 (Ref:2473812)   #269
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Thank you very much.

I really should consider a name change, it makes me look a bit dumb. Nice suggestion BTW, it has a good ring to it!
Old 29 Jun 2009, 07:21 (Ref:2493033)   #270
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
My next track seems a bit more man-made but I don't think it's as good as Eldridge Heights. This one is Garfunkel International Motor Park. I got the name because I was listening to Simon & Garfunkel at the time. (Cecelia to be exact.)

Elevations: S/F straight is flat, the exit and the approach to the overpass is a steady rise then down for T2 and 3, it's downhill down through T4 and 5. The club circuit S/F straight is flat also. Coming out of T8 it's uphill through 9 & 10, flat going under the bridge, down again at 12 continuiing down to the T12/13 chicane, it's flat from there until T16 where it plunges downhill on the way into 17 and then it rises at T18, through T19, down again into 20 and up again, but not as much, for T21 & T22 and it drops some more and goes flat under the bridge for T23 and the start of a Hockenheim-style stadium area. Basically it's flat the rest of the way.

Same old comments are always welcome. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Garfunkel International Motor Park.jpg  
Old 29 Jun 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2493066)   #271
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like this one a lot. Looks like a thoroughly thought-over layout. Both thumbs up!

The only thing I would suggest maybe is making the really slow T12-13 chicane optional. But that's not really an issue either.

Some others will surely complaing about the placement of the bridge before T23, but pay no need, it's fine there, only make it a bit longer span

Any further metric kind of info, like track length?

bio
Old 29 Jun 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2493171)   #272
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Garfunkel International looks like it was designed for long distance sportscar events, having a fairly long track length. It's got a lot of variety, which I like. Have you considered offering a shortcut that can be used together with the main pitlane?
Old 6 Jul 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2496396)   #273
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bio: I couldn't work out a track length when it came time because it looks like such a large track, so I just left it but now that you mention it, I'd have to say between 6-7 kms, it sounds about right to me.

Yannick: You obviously didn't notice (doesn't matter) but halfway between turn 1 and the bridge, there's a sort of off-shoot that veers off towards turn 12 and it uses the main pitlane too.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm noticing that each of my tracks are achieving a sort of.....I dunno but they're all different but I achieve something by having the right things for the type of track it may be, and I'm definitely thinking about the design aspect/s more to get positive results.
Old 6 Jul 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2496496)   #274
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
There was something about this circuit that bothered me from the beginning, and that was why you had a pitlane between T6 & T7 when it didn't have an obvious short circuit of its own.

Your answer to Yannick above makes me now think that you mean something like this for between T1 & T2....

If so it makes for nice separate circuits, though the financially minded will point out that it would make running both circuits at the same time difficult without some careful safety work.
Attached Thumbnails
Garfunkel International Motor Park mod.jpg  
Old 8 Jul 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2497839)   #275
Stig
Racer

United States
New Jersey
I don't really like the 18-19 carousel, but the rest of the track is pretty good. Like Yannick said, there's a lot of variety here, a mix of very fast straights and slow tight corners. Many overtaking opportunities too.