Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Nov 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2788013)   #251
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDog View Post
s2000 cars were'nt designed to run turbo motor's hence massive compromises on cooling, charge tempratures etc with swindon motor.

don't write it of just yet...the avensis was designed to run it
Are we sure its that ? The Leons successfully ran with a TDi and the Focus ran without problems with a turbo this year.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 12:04 (Ref:2788016)   #252
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
I disagree and think the penalty is justified, Alan Gow is basically saying he doesn't want these cars in it, but if you have to your going to run at the back with limited to no exposure. If that Astra coupe comes out yet again it will be a joke.
Well if he doesn't want them in, he should have stuck firm to the ban ! I think he's worried that there won't be enough cars on the grid next year and is hedging his bets. Let's not forget BTC cars regularly made up a quarter of the grid this year.
Old 10 Nov 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2788188)   #253
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see AON, WSR and Motorbase had their car's out at Brands today, wonder if it was just a jolly or if this was potential drivers getting a shot.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/a...34980056537438

(BTW looks like Chilton in the Focus..)
Old 10 Nov 2010, 18:37 (Ref:2788195)   #254
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I see AON, WSR and Motorbase had their car's out at Brands today, wonder if it was just a jolly or if this was potential drivers getting a shot.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=26549&id=134980056537438

(BTW looks like Chilton in the Focus..)
The yellow Aquila CR1
Old 10 Nov 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2788237)   #255
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AON were testing their NGTC engine for the first time, with Chilton. From the story at btcc.net Motorbase were definitely evaluating drivers, and it sounds like there was a bit of that with WSR too.

http://btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2197
Old 10 Nov 2010, 23:42 (Ref:2788341)   #256
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It's more like drivers evaluating teams these days.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2788496)   #257
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorbase have a history of promoting from within. I'd love to see Tim Bridgman get a shot and the team getting the budget to put out three cars.

The rules doesn't say that all the cars in the same team have to have the same colourscheme/design does it? I'm sure someone could get a major personal sponsor to fund one car, then they could go to Motorbase and say they wanted them to run a BMW, and have it in their sponsor colours like the Porsches do.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2788498)   #258
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Would like to see WSR get a major sponsor, from two perspectives, one, the cars looked hideous in 2010 with that half hearted livery, and two, it will give them a decent budget.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 13:31 (Ref:2788556)   #259
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
The rules doesn't say that all the cars in the same team have to have the same colourscheme/design does it? I'm sure someone could get a major personal sponsor to fund one car, then they could go to Motorbase and say they wanted them to run a BMW, and have it in their sponsor colours like the Porsches do.
All the cars in a team would need to be entered under the same team name so that they could combine team championship points, but other than that you can run different livery/colour/sponsor on each car. I'm not even sure that there's a requirement that all cars in a team have to be the same make/model.

Of course there are logistical problems to running different coloured cars. If you need to replace body panels between races (as often happens in BTCC) you've got to hope you have a panel in the right colour with the correct sponsor logos. A lot of teams will pre-decal spare panels as it often takes longer to apply the decals as it does to fit the panel.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2788634)   #260
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I dont know if this counts, but TH motorsports ran an Integra for John George and a Civic for Matt Hamilton a couple of seasons ago. Different cars, different liveries, different sponsers, but the same team.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2788728)   #261
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Would like to see WSR get a major sponsor, from two perspectives, one, the cars looked hideous in 2010 with that half hearted livery, and two, it will give them a decent budget.
Point three has to be a stronger driver line up.

I assume Onslow Cole was no where to be seen at the test for team Chilton?
Old 11 Nov 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2788746)   #262
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I dont know if this counts, but TH motorsports ran an Integra for John George and a Civic for Matt Hamilton a couple of seasons ago. Different cars, different liveries, different sponsers, but the same team.
2006, Seat entered a third car at Silverstone with WTCC (Red Bull) livery. So, unless the rules have been rewritten (which I doubt), then differing livery within a team is perfectly acceptable.
Old 11 Nov 2010, 20:01 (Ref:2788790)   #263
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Point three has to be a stronger driver line up.

I assume Onslow Cole was no where to be seen at the test for team Chilton?
Yes, Neate didn't really perform all year, although I believe he brought with him some major funding which is probably why WSR could finish the year without a title sponsor.
Old 12 Nov 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2788986)   #264
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"At present, the team haven't formally confirmed any of their drivers for 2011, but Tom Chilton is likely to remain with the team."

I like this comment, only likely to remain with the team, he practically owns it!
Old 21 Nov 2010, 13:00 (Ref:2793815)   #265
paulinhot
Rookie

England
Dorset
paulinhot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"At present, the team haven't formally confirmed any of their drivers for 2011, but Tom Chilton is likely to remain with the team."

I like this comment, only likely to remain with the team, he practically owns it!
lol very true
Old 26 Nov 2010, 07:04 (Ref:2795913)   #266
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
It sounds like the new Ford Focus will be on the grid next season.

http://www.crash.net/btcc/news/16472...btcc_plan.html
Tom Chilton confirms (or very close to) entry next year. It sounds like they're not using the new Focus though.

Interstingly, I would read the news as that Ford hope to find a runner for the new Focus, but it won't be AON / Arena
Old 26 Nov 2010, 08:08 (Ref:2795927)   #267
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Tom Chilton confirms (or very close to) entry next year. It sounds like they're not using the new Focus though.

Interstingly, I would read the news as that Ford hope to find a runner for the new Focus, but it won't be AON / Arena
Pretty much as a I figured. Unless Ford are paying Aon to run the car, it would be cheaper and better for them to stick with what they have. They've already sunk [I imagine] a helluva lot of their own money into developing the older chassis and can reap the benefit of that now. If they switched mounts, they're facing a large investment programme and a period of uncompetitiveness... something that would only be attractive if underwritten by a manufacturer.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 00:47 (Ref:2796260)   #268
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I don't see where you get that from? What have you read to make you think that?
Old 27 Nov 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2796433)   #269
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally View Post
I don't see where you get that from? What have you read to make you think that?
I read this 'Ford has revealed that it is hopeful that the new Ford Focus ST will make its debut in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship next season.' here.

And this 'We took the same Focus I finished this year's championship with apart from one BIG change — we replaced our LPG turbo engine with a new petrol-powered motor.' here.

From these two sentences I figured that Arena were using a 2010 spec in 2011, and Ford may have another team in mind.....

However after a further read of the Chilton article I also notice, 'the new Focus chassis currently being built at the Arena team's workshops...'

Which now makes me wonder..

Is this new chassis a replacement for last year's built to the same specification, or is it a chassis built to Ford's new Focus ST specification?
Old 28 Nov 2010, 15:00 (Ref:2796778)   #270
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi back in BTCC

GPR who designed the Avensis NGTC car have been asked to build 2 Audi A4's for a team too run in the 2011 BTCC!!!
Old 28 Nov 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2796781)   #271
kezza7
Racer

England
Retford
kezza7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
GPR who designed the Avensis NGTC car have been asked to build 2 Audi A4's for a team too run in the 2011 BTCC!!!
Source?
Old 28 Nov 2010, 18:26 (Ref:2796835)   #272
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner monkey View Post
Good news if true, but what's the source?
Old 28 Nov 2010, 18:45 (Ref:2796845)   #273
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Quote:
I read this 'Ford has revealed that it is hopeful that the new Ford Focus ST will make its debut in the Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship next season.' here.

And this 'We took the same Focus I finished this year's championship with apart from one BIG change — we replaced our LPG turbo engine with a new petrol-powered motor.' here.

From these two sentences I figured that Arena were using a 2010 spec in 2011, and Ford may have another team in mind.....
Yes, read all that.

They have tested the car with NGTC power recently.. http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=5527

An engine that would be used in the 'New Focus'...

Quote:
However after a further read of the Chilton article I also notice, 'the new Focus chassis currently being built at the Arena team's workshops...'

Which now makes me wonder..

Is this new chassis a replacement for last year's built to the same specification, or is it a chassis built to Ford's new Focus ST specification?

Personally, I suspect it would be the new chassis as it does say 'The New Focus'...

But there is nowhere where is says or intimates..
Quote:
but it won't be AON / Arena
Old 28 Nov 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2796892)   #274
davyboy
Veteran

The only statement we've had so far from Arena is this from Mike Earle as part of the TouringCarTimes piece earlier.

" Arena Motorsport have three Ford Focus ST's ready to race, and Mike Earle previously confirmed to TouringCarTimes he'd like to run all three in 2011, dependent upon drivers and sponsorship "

Tom Chilton's Sun column is a little bit fuzzier alright I agree... but as I've said already, I'd be extremely surprised if Arena junked the investment they've made in the current Focus for a start from scratch programme on the new one. Another tell tale would be having the existing 3 up for sale somewhere and that I've not seen.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2796897)   #275
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Another tell tale would be having the existing 3 up for sale somewhere and that I've not seen.
Therein lies the twist in the tale....