Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Aug 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3290690)   #251
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
The 917 was not the Le Mans winner although Monteverde does own that too! I believe the one we saw was the 'built up' ex Piper car involved in a certain recent court case; all the proper parts though and you can see why Monteverde would commit this car to the track rather than the LM winner.
Thank you, the film car was of course once owned by RJD Attwood and painted as the Le Mans winner, the reason for my query, I believe Pipes still owns his original car, after some of the above car owners driving techniques, it could have been involved in another legal affair...
Old 16 Aug 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3290693)   #252
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Just move it all to a better, less boring circuit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The big thing that stops me going to this meeting is the circuit. If I want to watch racing I'll go to a circuit where I can see more than one corner and/or get reasonably close to the cars with as little fencing as possible in the way. Silverstone is by far the worst circuit to watch an event at that I've visited - so much so that I've given up going there. Move the classic onto the Brands GP circuit

I watched some of the TV coverage last night, I enjoyed the Group C stuff and the Super Tourers - I must try and catch them live at some point.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 13:13 (Ref:3290694)   #253
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you been recently Bert? Get yourself to Becketts or Village and you can see about half the track these days.
Old 16 Aug 2013, 13:23 (Ref:3290695)   #254
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauln View Post
Have you been recently Bert? Get yourself to Becketts or Village and you can see about half the track these days.
I've not been for a few years now - past experiences there have put me off!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3290696)   #255
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agree with pauln... I was amazed and as a driver (albeit a slow one) I actually rather like the new circuit. Miss bridge but enjoy the new bits - actually I like the whole of Silverstone!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 13:46 (Ref:3290702)   #256
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Stuart, if you do the Classic again next year take a bicycle, scooter, moped or motorbike. Transit between paddocks is then a piece of ****, to coin a phrase....

Correct John, the 917 is not Le Mans winner, but another with less prestigious history painted in same colour scheme. Very nice to be able to do that!

Had Transit Mike,tried that, stopped and not allowed th proceed, not in possession of the 'Blue' sticker, when I asked for one, politely told not a multi prepper, hence the comedy with the buggy to get tyres on Friday therefore my humble advice, one meeting not two
Old 16 Aug 2013, 15:56 (Ref:3290727)   #257
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
Had Transit Mike,tried that, stopped and not allowed th proceed, not in possession of the 'Blue' sticker, when I asked for one, politely told not a multi prepper
Whoops, you misunderstand my post! Not Ford Transit, but transit as in 'move between'

Talk to me before next year's meeting and I'll organise a sticker, or lend you a bike!

Old 16 Aug 2013, 18:06 (Ref:3290755)   #258
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Not sure what the 917 posts are referring to.

The car raced by Carlos Montiverdi is his.

What has it got to do with Piper ?
Old 16 Aug 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3290777)   #259
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Try reading the posts and questions asked by other tenthers !!
Old 16 Aug 2013, 20:48 (Ref:3290804)   #260
paulSenna
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
paulSenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If nine seventeen is said for 917, what is said for the 908? And what about the Chevron B one nine... verbal diarrhoea.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 04:13 (Ref:3290877)   #261
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Now read all this stuff.

Carlos Montiverdi driving today is not same as a few years ago.

He's much more relaxed now he races with Garry Pearson.

The bit I didn't understand is the inference about legal stuff .

In the unlikely event of that ever happening only be one winner!

By the way I like the festival although the organisers ask to much money from race organisers.Needs two paddocks with number of cars involved.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 07:55 (Ref:3290898)   #262
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
John, I agree that Monterverde is indeed a different driver now.

The reference to the 917 at the Classic merely refers to the fact that it is, I understand, the car previously owned by David Piper and in which the gearbox broke whilst Mark Hales was driving it which led to the subsequent court case. No inference and nothing now outstanding! Merely a historical reference!
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:00 (Ref:3290899)   #263
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Whoops, you misunderstand my post! Not Ford Transit, but transit as in 'move between'

Talk to me before next year's meeting and I'll organise a sticker, or lend you a bike!

Cheers does the bike come with a trailer for t' wheels ?
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:03 (Ref:3290900)   #264
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 18 - Group C

A few pics from this one:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1159wb.jpg   IMG_1192wb.jpg   IMG_1205wb.jpg  

IMG_1255wb.jpg   IMG_1263wb.jpg   IMG_1269wb.jpg  

Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:38 (Ref:3290907)   #265
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulSenna View Post
If nine seventeen is said for 917, what is said for the 908? And what about the Chevron B one nine... verbal diarrhoea.
Got to admit a Chevron one nine is a new one on me, and 917's, 908's, 906's etc have always been just that, as for two paddocks, how the **** did we manage before? if necessary, so be it but treat all the vastly increased number of entrants with the increased revenue, as one meeting/event, the National paddock by 3pm both Friday and Saturday was almost devoid of human form, and by 5pm garage 5 apart from two cars empty.
Old 17 Aug 2013, 08:45 (Ref:3290908)   #266
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Old paddock mornings,New Paddock afternoons.

It works for us!
Old 17 Aug 2013, 09:12 (Ref:3290911)   #267
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 18 - Group C (2)

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1323wb.jpg   IMG_1346wb.jpg   IMG_1358wb.jpg  

IMG_1359wb.jpg   IMG_1369wb.jpg   IMG_1293wb.jpg  

Old 17 Aug 2013, 11:04 (Ref:3290947)   #268
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Some iconic liveries there John! I know you will lean towards the Jagermeister orange but after admiring a "tic tac" M3 at Oldtimer I'm now a fan of that as well.

Mind you, I'd drive any of them in any colour scheme.....

Stuart, we are where we are with the Classic paddocks. A case of having to approach the meeting differently to normal. Having been at all of them, this year was best so far for ease of movement. And yes, can arrange a classic bike trailer for the cycle so you can carry your wheels! Just watch for headwinds.....

Old 18 Aug 2013, 08:34 (Ref:3291248)   #269
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Mike, you know me too well. The Jagermeister livery is stunning but I agree the Tic Tac is pretty special too. However to me probably the car/livery combination which is truly iconic is the Martini liveried LC2. I hope Roger keeps his forever!

We all have our favourites of course but certain cars have what I would call super iconic status and amongst mine, I would nominate the Aston DBR1/300, Porsche 917 and in a more modern era the XJR14. I was at Silverstone in 1991 when that appeared in the 1000kms, with both my sons, Kevin and Brian who would have been 9 and 5 respectively and that brilliant Ross Brawn car completely reset the bar, being 4 seconds a lap quicker than anything else. We witnessed an absolutely top draw drive out of Martin Brundle who had been delayed (puncture? - it's all from memory) in his 14. Other memories of that day were Keke Rosberg exiting the pitlane in the early 905. We were standing on the outside of Copse as Keke suddenly floored it as he came off the slip road. I was holding Brian's hand and the poor little chap jumped a good foot into the air as this sudden scream from the gods rent the air around us.

22 years later and Kev and I were together again to witness Nic Minassian take the 14 off from the front of the grid and reappear at the end of the lap already well clear of the field. Emotional? You bet.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1379wb.jpg   IMG_1387wb.jpg   IMG_1421wb.jpg  

IMG_1424wb.jpg   IMG_1559wb.jpg   IMG_1561wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 18 Aug 2013 at 08:39.
Old 18 Aug 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3291257)   #270
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Mike, you know me too well. The Jagermeister livery is stunning but I agree the Tic Tac is pretty special too. However to me probably the car/livery combination which is truly iconic is the Martini liveried LC2. I hope Roger keeps his forever!

We all have our favourites of course but certain cars have what I would call super iconic status and amongst mine, I would nominate the Aston DBR1/300, Porsche 917 and in a more modern era the XJR14. I was at Silverstone in 1991 when that appeared in the 1000kms, with both my sons, Kevin and Brian who would have been 9 and 5 respectively and that brilliant Ross Brawn car completely reset the bar, being 4 seconds a lap quicker than anything else. We witnessed an absolutely top draw drive out of Martin Brundle who had been delayed (puncture? - it's all from memory) in his 14. Other memories of that day were Keke Rosberg exiting the pitlane in the early 905. We were standing on the outside of Copse as Keke suddenly floored it as he came off the slip road. I was holding Brian's hand and the poor little chap jumped a good foot into the air as this sudden scream from the gods rent the air around us.

22 years later and Kev and I were together again to witness Nic Minassian take the 14 off from the front of the grid and reappear at the end of the lap already well clear of the field. Emotional? You bet.
Blimey John!
With those memories, you can't be as old as I thought you looked.

Now when I saw Fangio spin his Lancia Ferrari at Becketts in 195 ........!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:41 (Ref:3291274)   #271
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I've been watching a very long time, Bob, but unlike some and despite my huge interest in historic racing, I'm not completely stuck in the past.
I don't accept that it was always better in the past, and equally, don't think that everything has improved either! How's that for sitting firmly on the fence!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:53 (Ref:3291275)   #272
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How's that for sitting firmly on the fence!
Watch out for those splinters!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 10:59 (Ref:3291279)   #273
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Metal - it's spectator fencing, and way too high!
Old 18 Aug 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3291286)   #274
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mike, you know me too well. The Jagermeister livery is stunning but I agree the Tic Tac is pretty special too. However to me probably the car/livery combination which is truly iconic is the Martini liveried LC2. I hope Roger keeps his forever.
Yup, can't disagree with that, John. If we do Oldtimer next year you need to hitch a ride over. In one paddock tent were two 935s, the Vaillant and Jagermeister cars. The huge BMW display included a 635 GpA in BMW parts scheme, the pin striped V12 LMR as well as the tic tac M3 mentioned. Everywhere you looked there was something special! Having just attended the Classic, I reckon the German event takes top trumps for race cars displayed.

Old 18 Aug 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3291303)   #275
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yup, can't disagree with that, John. If we do Oldtimer next year you need to hitch a ride over. In one paddock tent were two 935s, the Vaillant and Jagermeister cars. The huge BMW display included a 635 GpA in BMW parts scheme, the pin striped V12 LMR as well as the tic tac M3 mentioned. Everywhere you looked there was something special! Having just attended the Classic, I reckon the German event takes top trumps for race cars displayed.

Hey, John, I wouldn't cross the track to see that lot.

I'm like hardened concrete. Firmly set in my ways. By the time you started watching motor sport, I had already lost interest.

Even a Miserable Old Git like me is entitled to air his bigoted views on this forum, ain't 'e?