Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Nov 2014, 10:41 (Ref:3475738)   #251
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Interestingly, a number of teams have pre-booked some flights & accommodation for events, based on the original calendar. Presuming these can be changed (likely at a cost)..

How messy ..
So much for saving the teams money
Old 17 Nov 2014, 11:03 (Ref:3475741)   #252
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Accomodation to change weekends 6 months away. No cost.
Airfare with V8 Supercars sponsor Virgin Australia likely to be no cost, but maybe $20 bucks a ticket.

Lets not say stupid things

Cost of significant smaller crowd and reduced tv watching in WA could be a million dollars plus, not including it may mean cant pick up some local one race sponsors for the event
Old 17 Nov 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3475891)   #253
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
one of the best thing that ever happened to the 12 hour was the clash of dates and yet you still complain
I shall never, ever understand that thought process.

I assume the date clash with AFL had to be changed because of the number of drivers who wanted to take part in both and the AFL deliberately scheduled it to stop that happening.
Old 17 Nov 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3475926)   #254
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I shall never, ever understand that thought process.

I assume the date clash with AFL had to be changed because of the number of drivers who wanted to take part in both and the AFL deliberately scheduled it to stop that happening.
let me say it again then

when the event clashes with the local AFL derby it effects the paying crowd significantly as well as the tv watching crowd

Clashing with the 12 hour results in no effect on the paying crowd (no one is paying)
Old 18 Nov 2014, 00:25 (Ref:3475985)   #255
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What of the merchandise and food sales then?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 01:50 (Ref:3476002)   #256
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
let me say it again then

when the event clashes with the local AFL derby it effects the paying crowd significantly as well as the tv watching crowd

Clashing with the 12 hour results in no effect on the paying crowd (no one is paying)
TV crowd?

Maybe in WA, but what of the other races that clash with other AFL matches?
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:17 (Ref:3476010)   #257
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
What of the merchandise and food sales then?
yes will affect the merchandise and food purchased at WA also.

But there is minimal food purchased at a test day and usually very little merchandise available as it is too early in the season, in the two test days i went to merchandise and food sales were almost non existent

and let us remember something else also. The key sponsor of the WA event want it moved as well. State government
Old 18 Nov 2014, 02:55 (Ref:3476019)   #258
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of key stakeholders wanting to avoid the clash - I would have thought the NSW Government would have been against a clash between the V8 Test Day and Bathurst 12 Hour.

As a key stakeholder in both series I am surprised this hasnt been raised
Old 18 Nov 2014, 03:05 (Ref:3476024)   #259
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Speaking of key stakeholders wanting to avoid the clash - I would have thought the NSW Government would have been against a clash between the V8 Test Day and Bathurst 12 Hour.

As a key stakeholder in both series I am surprised this hasnt been raised
yes ad nauseum. (bit like the whole testday/12hour clash) With a crowd of 25000 combined for both events i dont think it really is a big issue for them.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3476046)   #260
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
one of the best thing that ever happened to the 12 hour was the clash of dates and yet you still complain
You should run the FIA

Lets get every series & big events clashing dates all year round, it will be the best thing to happen to them all.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:51 (Ref:3476050)   #261
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
You should run the FIA

Lets get every series & big events clashing dates all year round, it will be the best thing to happen to them all.
If it happened every weekend then it would not be big news and would not have created all this awesome positive press for the 12 hour and its fanbois would not be on every v8supercar and speedcafe facebook post telling us how good the 12 hour is.

you lost a few drivers but you gained so much more marketing penertration and goodwill
Old 18 Nov 2014, 04:55 (Ref:3476052)   #262
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Clearly you're not in marketing. If it happened every weekend then it would not be big news and would not have created all this awesome positive press for the 12 hour and its fanbois would not be on every v8supercar and speedcafe facebook post telling us how good the 12 hour is.

you lost a few drivers but you gained so much more marketing penertration and goodwill
I didn't lose any drivers, nor have i ever claimed to be in marketing :/

I'm just shocked anybody could get an idea that two motorsport events clashing can be good for anybody involved at all.... (especially for any event going up against a V8Supercar event, race meeting or not)
Old 18 Nov 2014, 07:20 (Ref:3476076)   #263
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2015 Main Series Calendar – Updated 17/11
DateSponsorEventLocationFormat
Feb 7-8Sydney.comV8SC Super TestEastern CreekSuperTest
Feb 26-Mar1ClipsalClipsal 500Adelaide ParklandsSuperStreet
Mar 12-15TBC2015 F1 AGPAlbert ParkInternational SuperSprint
Mar 27-29TyrepowerTasmania SuperSprintSymmons PlainsSuperSprint
May 1-3TBCPerth SuperSprintWannerooSuperSprint
May 15-17TBCWinton SuperSprintWintonSuperSprint
Jun 19-21SkyCityTriple Crown DarwinHidden ValleySuperSprint
Jul 10-12CastrolTownsville 400Reid ParkSuperStreet
Jul 31-Aug 2Coates HireIpswich SuperSprintQueensland RacewaySuperSprint
Aug 21-23TBCSydney MotorSport Park SuperSprintEastern CreekSuperSprint
Sep 11-13Wilson SecuritySandown 500SandownPirtek Enduro Cup
Oct 8-11SuperCheap AutoBathurst 1000Mt PanoramaPirtek Enduro Cup
Oct 23-25Castrol EdgeGold Coast 600Surfers ParadisePirtek Enduro Cup
Nov 6-8ITMITM 500 AucklandPukekoheSuperSprint
Nov 20-22TBCPhillip Island SuperSprintPhillip IslandSuperSprint
Dec 4-6Sydney.comSydney 500Olympic ParkSuperStreet
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Nov 2014, 07:59 (Ref:3476092)   #264
Umai Naa
Veteran

Would running Tassie a week later conflict with anything?

Seems ridiculous to have several events in close proximity, and then have over a month off afterwards.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 08:01 (Ref:3476093)   #265
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Seems ridiculous to have several events in close proximity, and then have over a month off afterwards.
Its even worse in the Dunlop calendar, a 9 week gap between QR & Bathurst... mad!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3476113)   #266
ForumNick
Veteran

Australia
ForumNick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Easter ??? (3,4,5,6 April)
Old 18 Nov 2014, 09:56 (Ref:3476121)   #267
Umai Naa
Veteran

Perhaps the week after that?

Look, the point I'm trying to get across, is the one GTR in the past has eluded to; keep the series relevent in the media and the minds of the supporters, and give the teams a fair break.

It seems in recent years that they smash through 5 or 6 events in the first 2-3 months, then nothing for up to 2 months, then jam the rest in before the first week of December.

Why not aim for something like 2-3 weeks bewteen events? It doesn't need to be drawn out over the whole year.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 10:55 (Ref:3476132)   #268
kiwi20
Racer

New Zealand
kiwi20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Perhaps the week after that?

Look, the point I'm trying to get across, is the one GTR in the past has eluded to; keep the series relevent in the media and the minds of the supporters, and give the teams a fair break.

It seems in recent years that they smash through 5 or 6 events in the first 2-3 months, then nothing for up to 2 months, then jam the rest in before the first week of December.

Why not aim for something like 2-3 weeks bewteen events? It doesn't need to be drawn out over the whole year.
They have less racing over winter due to weather I presume. They seem to visit hotter areas around this time.

I disagree with it not having to be the whole year. Look at Indycars recently. So much talk about their calendar and how it needs a smaller off season.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 12:04 (Ref:3476152)   #269
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi20 View Post
I disagree with it not having to be the whole year. Look at Indycars recently. So much talk about their calendar and how it needs a smaller off season.
I don't think anyone is advocating a 5 month calendar like the IRL has.

However would it be a bad thing if the season finished in early November instead of early December? There's only an 8 week break between Homebush and the "SuperTest" afterall as it is.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 23:21 (Ref:3476394)   #270
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And having the Sydney round in the 35 degree 90% humidity of November will be better than the 38 Degree 95% humidity of December.

Might drag in a couple more punters at least.
Old 18 Nov 2014, 23:55 (Ref:3476402)   #271
Umai Naa
Veteran

For some, ticket purchases would impact on their last-minute Christmas budget.
Old 19 Nov 2014, 00:53 (Ref:3476415)   #272
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
For some, ticket purchases would impact on their last-minute Christmas budget.
and other it would be a Christmas item
Old 19 Nov 2014, 01:44 (Ref:3476426)   #273
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and other it would be a Christmas item
or belated Father's Day as it was for me several years ago. I then made it clear it should never be a present ever again, I didn't want to be sitting in a blazing hot grandstand with no sun cover under the December Sun to be able to see 1 corner or a piece of 1 straight, or worse, not be in a grandstand with it 1 degree cooler fighting with everyone else to be in the shade and be able to see stuff all.

I'll sit at home and watch it on replay thanks
Old 20 Nov 2014, 06:52 (Ref:3476813)   #274
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
November 20, 2014

CRITICISM OF the V8 Supercars test day and Bathurst 12 Hour date clash continues to roll on, with Nissan’s Global Motorsport Boss, Darren Cox, slamming the scheduling conflict.
The Japanese manufacturer planned on fielding two NISMO GT-R GT3 entries at the event but will switch to a single car.
Cox, however, said the date clash is a black mark against V8 Supercars.
“I’ve got to say Richard [Emery, Nissan Australia CEO] is a great guy to have on your side,” he told radiolemans.com
“He is putting our case very strongly to the V8 guys down there. He’s very annoyed about the situation, I think quite rightly. The new manufacturers are injecting life into that championship. We know the problems Holden and Ford have got down there from funding their racing programs which is all off the back off moving production out of there and moving away from those types of cars that race in that championship. You’d think there would be open arms there for the manufacturers.
“We’ve had our struggles which are well documented in terms of the car that was homologated. Now this one we feel quite beaten up by it, because we’re one of the only manufacturers it directly affects. I met with the Kelly boys who happened to be in Vegas when I was there. They were claiming to be working of course, as I was, and Rick is absolutely devastated he can’t do the 12 hour. He thoroughly enjoyed it last year. He loved driving the GT3 car and it’s disappointing for everybody.”
While James Warburton told AA V8s was copping flak from V8 fans for not averting the calendar conflict, Cox lashed the series for playing politics.
“It’s another case of the politics getting in the way of sport. I think there’s only one loser and that will be the sport unfortunately. If V8s think they’re the only game in town, then things are changing down there. I think the Bathurst 12 Hour will only grow and grow and I think V8s taking them on is the wrong thing to do. I think there’s room enough for both championships.”
Cox added the switch to a single car will have an adverse impact on Nissan at the Bathurst 12 Hour due to the date clash.
“I think more of it is the fact we wouldn’t be able to use our star Australian drivers,” he added.”That’s the most important thing. We’re compromised now. We’re probably not going to run an Australian which is ridiculous when you’re racing in their home country. Again, there’s lots of reasons for the decision we’ve taken, but it’s not helped that there’s a clash. This one will rumble on I think. We made our point clear in the strongest possible terms, both locally and globally and it’s not being resolved.
“For me it’s a black mark on the championship which is a shame because we’re making big progress forward with the V8s. We had some good results this year and as I said, the new manufacturers should be welcome with open arms by the V8 championship,” he concluded.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 00:07 (Ref:3477098)   #275
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
let me say it again then
No need, I understood you the first time. I just don't agree with you. When motorsport struggles for spectators generally as a minority sport, the thought of one bit of motorsport deliberately sabotaging another bit of motorsport by forcing the non-participation of the best known drivers appals me. F1 used to schedule Canada to undermine Le Mans in years gone by and I thought that was pathetic then, and I think this is pathetic now.

I'm not asking you to agree with me because you're a fan of V8s and I'm a fan of motorsport.