Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Jan 2016, 12:39 (Ref:3607585)   #251
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Chi's
guess
for the grid less than two weeks prior!

Of the auto entries, I don't believe in LNT taking it (and obviously dead Marc VDS neither), but others yes. KCMG will place on reserves despite having it, due to possibly committing to LM only.

Excuse me if I have forgotten someone.

TOTALING UP TO 58 CARS.

LMP1 - 10x
Audi Sport Joest
Audi Sport Joest
Porsche Team
Porsche Team
Toyota Racing
Toyota Racing
Rebellion Racing
Rebellion Racing
Team ByKolles
Team ByKolles

LMP2 - 23x
SMP/AF Racing
SMP/AF Racing
Extreme Speed Motorsports
Extreme Speed Motorsports
Greaves Motorsports
Greaves Motorsports
Jota Sport
Jota Sport
Strakka Racing
Signatech Racing
Tech 1 / Panis-Barthez Competition
Dragonspeed
Race Performance
Eurasia Racing
Algarve Pro Racing
Krohn Racing
Michael Shank Racing
Murphy Prototypes
S024 by Lombard Racing
Thiriet by TDS Racing
Morand-Gonzalez?? Racing
Pegasus Racing
DC Racing

LMGTE-PRO
- 13x
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Ford Chip Ganassi Racing
Corvette Racing
Corvette Racing
Aston Martin Racing
Aston Martin Racing
Porsche Motorsports (Core)
Porsche Motorsports (Core)
Proton Competition
AF Corse
AF Corse

LMGTE-AM
- 11x
AF Corse
SMP Racing (AF Corse)
Formula Racing (AF Corse)
Aston Martin Racing
Proton Competition
Larbre Competition
JMW Motorsports
Clearwater Racing
AAI-Prospeed Competition
Scuderia Corsa
TDS Racing

Car Displaying New Technologies
- 1x
'Frédéric Sausset's Team'

Reserves -
10x
1) Aston Martin Racing Beechdean (LMGTE-AM)
2) Riley Motorsports (LMGTE-AM)
3) KCMG (LMP2)
4) Gulf Racing (LMGTE-AM)
5) Risi Competizione (LMGTE-PRO)
6) AF Corse (LMGTE-AM)
7) Eurasia Racing (LMP2)
8) Scuderia Corsa (LMGTE-PRO)
9) Proton Competition (LMGTE-AM)
10) IDEC Sport (LMP2)

If reserves go beyond 10 add AT Racing (LMGTE-AM) and IDK another AF Corse I guess.

Larbre might produce that second C7.R after all but it's too crowded already

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Jan 2016 at 13:08.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 17:21 (Ref:3607639)   #252
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
All of those were already expected, with the exception of Risi (though they already said last year they'd like to try if budget was in place) and the said second SC. They, and the Viper might have again problem getting through the reserves, but I cannot see the others not receiving direct entries.

Anyhow, Race Performance and Clearwater Racing join DC Racing as the ASLMS LM auto invitees. But I think it's obvious the other LMP2 teams are getting single invites too for supporting the series (at least they should), and AAI's campaign too will transform into invite with the Prospeed linkup in LMGTE
I have a hard time seeing the ACO turn down a GTE-Pro entry full of factory drivers, fielded by a team that has won Le Mans twice. I would also be surprised to see two Porsches from CORE.

Last edited by Dyson Mazda; 24 Jan 2016 at 17:27.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 17:30 (Ref:3607641)   #253
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I have a hard time seeing the ACO turn down a GTE-Pro entry full of factory drivers, fielded by a team that has won Le Mans twice. I would also be surprised to see two Porsches from CORE.
2012 alone had three LMGTE-PROs left to rot on the initial reserve list: #98 Aston Martin Racing, #76 IMSA Performance Matmut, and #64 Lotus Jetalliance. In favor of some AMs.

Loyal (even French!) teams like Larbre Competition have been left to reserves twice in the last couple of years (2009 in LMGT1, 2014 in LMP2), despite winning the race many times and entering cars every year to their series.

Team Taisan had auto entry for the 2014 race, you know for being the sole supporter of the ASLMS LMGTE class and winning it, and still was left to initial reserves for no reason.

Risi itself was demoted to the very bottom of reserves couple of years ago despite having an auto entry, and even though that particular car was camouflaged Krohn Racing entity, it still speaks volume.

This year they don't even have auto entry. Though this now being Ford vs Ferrari anniversary thing, I guess that improves chances a little

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Jan 2016 at 17:49.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 18:03 (Ref:3607652)   #254
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The S365 story suggests that the Risi Comp and Scuderia Corsa Pro entries have Ferrari backing. If true then Ferrari will surely be leaning on the selection committee to let them in.

Good list though, Chiana. Looking forward to the real thing in a couple of weeks.
Old 24 Jan 2016, 18:25 (Ref:3607662)   #255
Deleted
Veteran

If they let in both Risi and second SC (would assume another AF Corse tieup there) per Ferrari request it's gonna mean some sorry news for LMP2. Specifically P2 since I don't think they can cut too much away from the AM GTEs with the auto entries and all (unfortunately, I wouldn't mind that "class" dying to pieces)

If I had to pick two P2s to drop to reserves from that list of mine, they'd be Algarve Pro (despite the ASLMS commitment) and Dragonspeed. Rest are either auto-entries, ACO regulars or "French-connections" The second entry of Jota might be bit of a question mark but in light of recent announcements I cannot see it not getting free pass easily. Greaves has two in the bag.

Of course if Kolles doesn't get the funds for that second chassis running after all, it helps a bit. Though personally I'd rather see another LMP1 than anything below, so don't hope that.

But yeah it'll be interesting Friday for sure

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Jan 2016 at 18:31.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 11:28 (Ref:3607825)   #256
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Auto entry invitations announced.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/20...746_23330.html

Porsche Team: victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in the LM P1 category. One invitation in LM P1.

KCMG: victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in the LM P2 category. One invitation in LM P2.

Corvette Racing - GM: victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in the LM GTE Pro category. One invitation in LM GTE Pro.

SMP Racing: victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in the LM GTE Am category. One invitation in LM GTE Am.

Greaves Motorsport: victory in the European Le Mans Series in the LM P2 category. One invitation in LM P2.

Formula Racing: victory in the European Le Mans Series in the LM GTE category. One invitation in LM GTE Pro or Am.

BMW Team MarcVDS: 2nd in the European Le Mans Series in the LM GTE category. One invitation in LM GTE Pro or Am.

TDS Racing: victory in the European Le Mans Series in the GTC category. One invitation in LM GTE Am.

Team LNT: victory in the European Le Mans Series in the LM P3 category. One invitation in LM P2.

Michael Shank Racing: selected by the Tudor United SportsCar Championship. One invitation in LM P2.

Scuderia Corsa: selected by the Tudor United SportsCar Championship. One invitation in LM GTE Am.

Race Performance: victory in the Asian Le Mans Series in the LM P2 category. One invitation in LM P2.

Clearwater Racing: victory in the Asian Le Mans Series in the GT category. One invitation in LM GTE Pro or Am.

DC racing: victory in the Asian Le Mans Series in the LM P3 category. One invitation in LM P2 or LM GTE Am.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 12:25 (Ref:3607831)   #257
Mike E
Veteran

With this significant condition:

Each invitation will only be confirmed if the car in question is entered in one of the following three championships in 2016: Asian Le Mans Series, European Le Mans Series and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.

Unless they are a WEC team, presumably.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 12:53 (Ref:3607833)   #258
Deleted
Veteran

LNT won't take it.
Marc VDS won't take it.
KCMG will have hard time getting it regardless.

And in reality the Asian teams don't have to commit to anything seeing as their season doesn't start until fall
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:06 (Ref:3607865)   #259
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
The 'race' for an entry is almost as tough as the real race it seems!

Lots of variables but it looks like it'll be the best GTE-Pro entry ever! I fully expect Ferrari to match Ford's 4 entries (with perhaps a switch from one its Am entries into the top GTE class?). All thanks of course to ACO's unconditional love for manufacturers.

WEC runners gain an automatic entry and I expect their grid to be similar in size to last year - 35 or close to it. Hopefully all of them show up for the first race for a change.

Add in the famous 'French connection' (more a penalty than an advantage for Labre perhaps) and the fact that the AsLMS is now organized by the ACO directly and we'll see some teams (especially in P2) stunned by being left out. The one I really hope to get an entry (and actually show up) is Yves Courage. He's truly a LM legend and the rumored BR as his weapon of choice would add some extra variety to the Ligier dominated class.

And then there are the KCMG and G-Drive 'jokers' - both P2 campaigns seem to be coming to an end or is there yet another twist?

It's not much different in GTE-Am, the abundance of Ferraris with auto invites will make it hard for the Viper (and most likely one of the privateer Corvettes) to get in.

All these 'calculations of entry possibilities/probabilities' once again confirm the need for a transparent entry reward model, it's long overdue. But this being the ACO/FIA I might not live long enough to see something like that introduced...

Anyways, very much looking forward to Friday as well. Bring it on!
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:12 (Ref:3607869)   #260
Deleted
Veteran

I had completely forgotten the Courage (BR01) from that list of mine, yes indeed if they get the funds together it's gonna be as quaranteed French entry as the Panis-Barthez car.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3607870)   #261
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
KCMG will have hard time getting it regardless.
Haven't they canned their LMP2 campaign? So probably a no-show?
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:25 (Ref:3607872)   #262
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Their WEC P2 program (reportedly).

Nothing prevents them to file an entry for the upcoming AsLMS 16/17 season, pay the entry fee and do LM before not showing up once the new AsLMS starts in whenever. Or do a partial ELMS campaign. Or change their minds and do a (partial) WEC season after all. Or the remainder of the IMSA season.

Only the ACO knows right now if there are any KCMG entry papers on a desk in Paris.

Damn, we need a mole on the inside!
Old 25 Jan 2016, 15:26 (Ref:3607874)   #263
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
They sold one of their two chassis and folded out from the championships, but are intending to still request one entry for the 24 hours with the auto invite. Somehow...

edit: yes Coach is right... especially on ASLMS front too
Old 25 Jan 2016, 18:59 (Ref:3607912)   #264
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Do Jota definitely want two entries? Always thought it was Simon Dolan's team for himself, I wasn't expecting them to ever want to enter a second car.

I guess if they do they must have a few guys lined up from their deal with Arden who are willing to pay. Does GP2 race in Azerbaijan on Le Mans' weekend?
Old 25 Jan 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3607916)   #265
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Do Jota definitely want two entries? Always thought it was Simon Dolan's team for himself, I wasn't expecting them to ever want to enter a second car.

I guess if they do they must have a few guys lined up from their deal with Arden who are willing to pay. Does GP2 race in Azerbaijan on Le Mans' weekend?
Yes the Zytek entered for ELMS has been nominated for LM (+Spa 6h) as well, and the Oreca 05 obviously does it as part of the WEC.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 19:19 (Ref:3607917)   #266
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Do Jota definitely want two entries?
Yes, they mentioned it when announcing the Arden tie-up, the Oreca they're using in the WEC should be automatically entered and they'll be seeking an entry for the ELMS Gibson too.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 19:23 (Ref:3607918)   #267
Deleted
Veteran

What were the last times we had teams with mix-make-chassis operations like Jota and Greaves now... this decade Pescarolo in 2012 with the Dome + Pescarolo 03, Larbre in 2011 with Corvette C6.R + Porsche 997, and in 2010 Team Oreca with Peugeot 908 + Oreca 01

I guess SMP too with the BR01s + GTE now but it's AF Corse really running the Ferraris under the badges

Last edited by Deleted; 25 Jan 2016 at 19:29.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 20:38 (Ref:3607942)   #268
Coach Ep
Veteran

I doubt if Jota gets their 2nd car in, so much competition from long time and new French runners in ELMS (+ a couple of AsLMS runners as well), it's hard to see any team - other than the auto and WEC ones - receiving 2 entries in P2.

There's also the potential for 8 (!) Ferraris in GTE-Am if Clearwater and TDS enter one (both auto entries) + Formula Racing (auto) + Scuderia Corse (auto) + SMP (auto) + 2x AF Corse (WEC) + JMW (ELMS, if selected). How does that compare to last year Chiana?
Old 25 Jan 2016, 21:07 (Ref:3607951)   #269
Deleted
Veteran

The ELMS entered Zytek has Giedo van der Garde there putting F1 pressure for ACO + Simon Dolan driving it (I'm not sure he's even gonna do the Oreca 05 ??), so I'm pretty certain they're getting it. At worst it's gonna sit at the top corner of the reserves.

Has the TDS GTE chassis even been decided as Ferrari yet? And I'm not sure if there's two WEC AF Corses (SMP badged not counting )... then again there could be ten of them I guess. And sure, whatever the number is gonna be in WEC, it will be much bigger at LM with the regional series cars and camouflaged satellite teams joining in.

Last year there were 6+1 AM Ferraris on the initial February entry list.
Old 25 Jan 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3607981)   #270
Coach Ep
Veteran

TDS seemed to be going with either an Aston or a Ferrari, not sure how things have developed since.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/th...races-in-2016/

Let's hope it'll be an Aston - anything is better than yet another Ferrari at this point...
Old 26 Jan 2016, 07:35 (Ref:3608034)   #271
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
What were the last times we had teams with mix-make-chassis operations like Jota and Greaves now... this decade Pescarolo in 2012 with the Dome + Pescarolo 03, Larbre in 2011 with Corvette C6.R + Porsche 997, and in 2010 Team Oreca with Peugeot 908 + Oreca 01

I guess SMP too with the BR01s + GTE now but it's AF Corse really running the Ferraris under the badges
AAI ran a 997 and a 991 last year, didn't they? Not so different...
Old 26 Jan 2016, 08:48 (Ref:3608043)   #272
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
AAI ran a 997 and a 991 last year, didn't they? Not so different...
Mix-make-chassis
Old 26 Jan 2016, 12:49 (Ref:3608099)   #273
Coach Ep
Veteran

Clearwater have confirmed a Ferrari 458 (Facebook)...

At least their livery (if carried over from their AsLMS campaign) will be something to watch!
Old 26 Jan 2016, 13:10 (Ref:3608105)   #274
Deleted
Veteran

Clearwater has also participated in Super Taikyu, so we have guest representative from that series as well

Wish it was anything but GTE-SHAM though... the only positive thing about that class this year is that at least the chassis ain't 100% identical to the PRO cars like usually, so it's - sort of a - real ish category

Ferrari 488 / 458 situation will be similar to 2011 with the 458 / 430 division in the sub classes, but doubt it will last for 2017, just as it didn't for 2012

And of course 458/430 were easier to tell apart than 488/458, but that's their own design "fault" (for the lack on better word)

Last edited by Deleted; 26 Jan 2016 at 13:20.
Old 26 Jan 2016, 16:43 (Ref:3608178)   #275
LC2guy
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
LC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLC2guy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When was the last time Audi didn't have an automatic invite ? It's been some time, surely.