Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 1 Mar 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3619051)   #251
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Oh, you guys are great! Now I have to decide whether to do chateaux or beaches! Thank you so much. More suggestions welcome! My biggest question now is, do Google Maps' driving directions timeframes actually work?
keke
You can buy maps and use road signs, however if you are like some of my friends they always assume they can't understand signs because they are in french A tip while driving in France is assume the signs are in english as a place name followed by a number means you are that far in kilometers away from the town/city/village, not rocket science.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 10:13 (Ref:3619222)   #252
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
Hi

If you need a good source of information on driving and time i always use viamichelin.com

It has all the new roadworks and i very accurate.

Happy holiday in France
Old 2 Mar 2016, 10:52 (Ref:3619232)   #253
Muppetdave901
Racer

England
Essex, UK
Muppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMuppetdave901 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
I honestly don't think it needs to be an either/or re chateaux or beaches - from Le Mans all are reachable, while France is a big country, it's not quite North American in scale!
I did almost suggest you have a little longer trip in the car from Chartres or so and wander over towards Reims/Epernay...
Old 2 Mar 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3619336)   #254
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Besides lovely days spent in Paris, my excursions nearby Le Mans have mostly consisted of visiting chateaus. If you're into architecture and moving along at your own pace then it is highly enjoyable!

In 2014 my wife and I had an excellent meal just outside Chateau Villandry and then toured the chateau and grounds. Can easily spend a few hours there. If you're into gardening at all then this is the one to visit.

This past year during srutineering I stayed in Angers and thoroughly enjoyed seeing the chateau there. Unlike many of the others that are much more of the renaissance flavor, this one was a fortified castle, build for the defense of the city. It was nothing short of amazing, and along with the nearby cathedral and old city streets a great time to spend an afternoon. Also visited Chenonceau and Usse during this week. Had a fantastic meal on the grounds of Chenonceau, a wonderful beef and olive stew that I am going to try to replicate at home during the race week this year. The chateau is beyond beautiful, truly breathtaking, but you've gotta be okay with the crowds of tourists to visit this one. Usse was much more relaxed, very few visitors and very friendly people operating it. There were some places to eat just outside the grounds, and the Sleeping Beauty tour was tons of fun. They also have a very pretty on site cathedral. The view of the valley from the chateau was also a highlight.
All of these places can be reached just 2-3 hours from Le Mans, and some of them (Villandry and Usse) are within just a few minutes drive from one
another. I highly recommend a few days spent doing this!

Another great stop on the way from Le Mans to Paris is the cathedral in Chartres. It almost puts Notre Dame to shame, it is truly amazing and another breathtaking sight to behold! Well worth the quick trip off the main highway!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3619341)   #255
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just to be clear, I'm using the Google Maps directions function to get basic travel times before I go. But I'd never heard of viamichelin so I will see if that works! I am all over maps and road signs when I drive. I don't have much trouble with French, or with metric -- hey, I'm Canadian, and I've been to France ten times before, sometimes as péage-coin-putter-inner for a British driver. And I don't mind driving long distances if there's something interesting at the other end. (Tucks comment about Reims in back pocket... I hear they have champagne there too.)

Thanks for the chateaux suggestions. I love gardens, so Villandry may get on the list!
keke

PS. I have seen Chartres, and Le Mans old town. Love them both but I want to try some new things!
Old 2 Mar 2016, 17:10 (Ref:3619342)   #256
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Don't forget Le Mans old town is well worth a visit if you haven't done it before.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 22:25 (Ref:3619430)   #257
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerkeke View Post
Just to be clear, I'm using the Google Maps directions function to get basic travel times before I go. But I'd never heard of viamichelin so I will see if that works! I am all over maps and road signs when I drive. I don't have much trouble with French, or with metric -- hey, I'm Canadian, and I've been to France ten times before, sometimes as péage-coin-putter-inner for a British driver. And I don't mind driving long distances if there's something interesting at the other end. (Tucks comment about Reims in back pocket... I hear they have champagne there too.)

Thanks for the chateaux suggestions. I love gardens, so Villandry may get on the list!
keke

PS. I have seen Chartres, and Le Mans old town. Love them both but I want to try some new things!
Are you interested in Painting? Not so far from Le mans and on the way to the airport a very quiet place: Giverny Monet's Garden http://giverny.org/gardens/fcm/visitgb.htm
Old 3 Mar 2016, 02:22 (Ref:3619466)   #258
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Not an expert (and haven't travelled in the area much unfortunately) but maybe you wanna put the city of Angoulême on the list? It's about 3 hours to the south of LM.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 07:38 (Ref:3619494)   #259
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always use Via Michelin for route planning in France. It gives a choice of routes and good estimates of travel time.
Old 3 Mar 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3619663)   #260
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Don't forget Le Mans old town is well worth a visit if you haven't done it before.
Very much so. Probably for a visitor that has been a few times and also for those spending more than a weekend there. The town is worth visiting on it's own. Have a wander and find a bar away from the main squares. Enjoy a coffee or a (good) beer.

Old 12 Mar 2016, 22:29 (Ref:3622395)   #261
911GT1LM98
Rookie

Israel
911GT1LM98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks a lot for your helpful advice a few pages back, GT6.
I'll be making the trip with my Father and both of us prefer a Hotel of some sort.
Hearing about our travel plans, my Brother might join us as well.

Received our tickets and booked our Flights a few weeks ago- Can't wait.

We'll be landing in CDG on Saturday night and make our way to Le Mans on Sunday morning, in time for scrutineering (might stop in Versailles).
We'll be flying out from CDG on the Wednesday after the race, so, it seems, our travel arrangements are similar to racerkeke's.

I'll like to see (and do) a bit of everything- I'm interested in WW2 history (to many re- runs of "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers"), and would like to see some Chateaus and Castles.
Having visited Paris a few years back, We don't wish to visit the city again.

Many thanks for your traveling advice!

img hosting
Old 13 Mar 2016, 08:23 (Ref:3622457)   #262
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apologies if these have been mentioned before

http://www.manoir-automobile.fr/home/

about two hours from Le Mans, a huge collection of cars put together by Michel Hommel of Auto Hebdo fame.

Also

http://www.museedesblindes.fr/en/

an hour and half away...............and if this appeals to you, then this might also

http://www.musee-cavalerie.fr/

Currently I am planning to stay out between Test and Race Week and these are on the list of places to visit.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 09:56 (Ref:3622927)   #263
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£168.30 tunnel return or £63.00 Dover-Dunkirk ferry.. I can't decide I'll leave it up to you guys
Old 15 Mar 2016, 10:02 (Ref:3622928)   #264
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Doing the tunnel saves a little mileage both ends and at least a hour and a half each way, the cost of tunnel depends on the time of travel so perhaps changing the time will get the costs down a little
Old 15 Mar 2016, 10:07 (Ref:3622929)   #265
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More flexibility on the return leg when using the tunnel due to more crossings.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3623612)   #266
Erw
Racer

Netherlands
Amersfoort, Holland
Erw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got a question, i have row K on a stand, is this bottom of top in the stand?
Old 17 Mar 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3623694)   #267
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erw View Post
Got a question, i have row K on a stand, is this bottom of top in the stand?
Almost on top, gives you good vieuws.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 21:00 (Ref:3623697)   #268
Erw
Racer

Netherlands
Amersfoort, Holland
Erw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitemr2 View Post
Almost on top, gives you good vieuws.
Great will be at the Ford Chicane Grandstand
Old 29 Mar 2016, 12:52 (Ref:3628382)   #269
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Just paid the balance for this year's trip, so looks like I can confirm that yes, all things being equal we will be there in June.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 05:58 (Ref:3628614)   #270
YorkshireLad
Veteran

United Kingdom
skipton, north yorkshire
YorkshireLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone think the euro exchange rates going to get better before June? It's low at the moment!
Old 30 Mar 2016, 08:03 (Ref:3628637)   #271
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkshireLad View Post
Anyone think the euro exchange rates going to get better before June? It's low at the moment!
I think there's some sort of local election in the UK the week after Le Mans which is probably going to impact on exchange rates.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 08:05 (Ref:3628640)   #272
rx555
Rookie

United States
St. Louis
rx555 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Three more from the States coming. It will be all of our first times. Have seen lots of races and rallies over here but this one is at the top of the bucket list and this is the year.
Thanks for the above links to those museums. Look like two must sees. We'll be over for two weeks and plan to hit all the big auto museums and whatever other trouble we can find. We have all of our travel and LM glamping worked out and paid for. Can't wait and have read all 58 pages of the FAQ thread. Lots of great info there.
Old 30 Mar 2016, 09:49 (Ref:3628659)   #273
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Welcome to the site, feel free to ask any questions you have and look out for the meeting thread which wil be started soon, we always meet up on saturday for nibbles/drinks and a chat always one of the highlights of le mans
Old 3 Apr 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3629885)   #274
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Welcome to the site, feel free to ask any questions you have and look out for the meeting thread which wil be started soon, we always meet up on saturday for nibbles/drinks and a chat always one of the highlights of le mans
Started by Pascal now.......
Old 3 May 2016, 13:44 (Ref:3638132)   #275
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Is it time to go yet?