Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 8 Aug 2013, 06:02 (Ref:3287171)   #2776
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I am not quite sure the DPs will be done for in 2016.... Ford is still developing their DP-bodykit and would they really do so for just two seasons?

I could imagine the bodykits carrying over to the next set of prototype rules...
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:00 (Ref:3287271)   #2777
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"It seems by default that many of the traces of GA are being forced out just due to market demands within the series, even with some pretty virulent defenders of the GA formula."

Add to this that FIA has said that P2 will hardly be changed if at all for 2016, and the simple economics of the situation make P2 look like a better choice.

Maybe this is what Scott Atherton was thinking when he said that the future of the top class in USCR would be based on market forces.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3287284)   #2778
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
It seems that the issues of speeding up the DPs with more power then causes them to more inefficient with the use of their fuel which puts them into the pits more often negating any increases they gain on the track. Therefore, increased power does not seem to be the way to go in leveling the field. Nor does shoehorning a DP engined into a P2 which puts them more into the inefficient area of a class that is headed toward more efficiency with the 2016 rule changes.

Any changes that negate the advances made in efficiency over the past are headed in the wrong direction, IMHO.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 15:26 (Ref:3287341)   #2779
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I am not quite sure the DPs will be done for in 2016.... Ford is still developing their DP-bodykit and would they really do so for just two seasons?

I could imagine the bodykits carrying over to the next set of prototype rules...

We may very well see the outer skins (profiles) into the next set of rules, but what will they be mounted to?

L.P.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3287348)   #2780
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Chernaudi, the fastest speed last year in Cup Qualifying was Jimmie Johnson at 183-mph, and most of the front-runners were doing 180-181-mph. In less-than-ideal conditions, they can't run the Esses flat-out, which means they lose several miles an hour on that uphill run, and that gets you to that 173-175-mph figure I mentioned.

For another reference, at least in race trim, the Indy Cars couldn't do better than about 175-mph into the Inner Loop. The old Dallara IR-03/07 was running 625-650-hp, but was draggy as hell, especially with that barn door of a rear wing.

And yes, like you and others have said, I've contended for some time that you can't have one group of cars (the DPs) having too much of a straight-line advantage over the others (the LMP2s). If you do, the ones who are slow in the corners will just hold everyone up, and then pull away on the straight, leaving very little chance of overtaking them. It's a bit like watching the 1981 F1 races with the turbo Ferraris being road blocks in the turns, and then running away down the straights.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 18:18 (Ref:3287376)   #2781
nkoske
Racer

United States
Bay Area, CA
nkoske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
It's a bit like watching the 1981 F1 races with the turbo Ferraris being road blocks in the turns, and then running away down the straights.
A more current example would be Laguna Seca 2007 RS Spyder v. R10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLGMZDKBv8
Old 8 Aug 2013, 19:25 (Ref:3287388)   #2782
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkoske View Post
A more current example would be Laguna Seca 2007 RS Spyder v. R10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLGMZDKBv8
That was super exciting.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3287389)   #2783
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thankfully the rules were changed so that kind of thing wouldn't happen again.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3287393)   #2784
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Between the Porsche/VW ownership stuff, and Acura moving to LMP1, it was made a moot point anyway.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3287401)   #2785
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Thankfully the rules were changed so that kind of thing wouldn't happen again.
Yeah boy I sure did hate the 2007-2008 era of the ALMS, that was the worst racing ever...
Old 8 Aug 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3287429)   #2786
Maelochs
Veteran

Fer shoor ... all those P2s hindering the P1s ... Glad we won't be going back to Those days ...

(I assume the USCR management isn't quite sharp enough and strong enough to get us back there. I'd happily be wrong.)
Old 8 Aug 2013, 23:59 (Ref:3287439)   #2787
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Angelelli just topped first practice with a best time on 2:02.1. That is just 3 seconds slower than Tucker's best race lap last year...... in a D Sports Racer for the SCCA Runoffs. Not too bad.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 02:58 (Ref:3287460)   #2788
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
It seems that the issues of speeding up the DPs with more power then causes them to more inefficient with the use of their fuel which puts them into the pits more often negating any increases they gain on the track. Therefore, increased power does not seem to be the way to go in leveling the field. Nor does shoehorning a DP engined into a P2 which puts them more into the inefficient area of a class that is headed toward more efficiency with the 2016 rule changes.

Any changes that negate the advances made in efficiency over the past are headed in the wrong direction, IMHO.
Actually, as I and a couple of others have pointed out, DP and LMP2 engine rules as similar as far as the type of engines allowed.

LMP2: 3.2 liter V6 TC/SC, 5.0 NA V8

DP: 3.5 V6 TC/SC, 5.0 NA V8.

Only major difference is how BOP is handled. In DP, and engine is BOP'd though RPM, and torque/power curves. In LMP2, BOP is handled though air restrictors and boost pressure in terms of forced induction engines.

Only reason that a DP engine gets worse fuel economy is that they're making at least a 100 more BHP than a LMP2 engine, and the engines often rev higher to achieve that power gain.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:31 (Ref:3287462)   #2789
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_T View Post
Angelelli just topped first practice with a best time on 2:02.1. That is just 3 seconds slower than Tucker's best race lap last year...... in a D Sports Racer for the SCCA Runoffs. Not too bad.
In all fairness, the DP cost half as much as the D Sports Racer.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3287464)   #2790
Ken_T
Rookie

United States
Texas
Ken_T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His DSR, maybe. The others in competition much less, but hit the the 2:00 mark with a 1 liter Suzuki motor in qualy and a 2:02 in the race..... As amateurs out of their garage.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 03:52 (Ref:3287465)   #2791
Tim240z
Rookie

United States
Tim240z should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
In all fairness, the DP cost half as much as the D Sports Racer.
What about the regular DSRs that run 2:02s at Road America...
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:34 (Ref:3287476)   #2792
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Big Weekend is here with Grand-Am and ALMS at Road America(suppose to announce schedule)but the boss just announce they're not even close yet because of the track and tv contracts of the two series(bottomline its the money....tv will pay less and the tracks what their contracts honored or they want money).
Old 9 Aug 2013, 04:55 (Ref:3287482)   #2793
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
DP sure has a long way to go to catch up to LMP2 pace... I wonder how they are going to figure that one out. Because if current DP regs are tampered with, I'm sure a lot of people aren't going to be happy about spending the extra cabbage to get their cars up to date. Oh well, times are a changin'.

Again, Duff, excellent post. Not long-winded at all - just nice, concise facts. You, sir, are the voice of reason in a sea of silly season insanity.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:42 (Ref:3287661)   #2794
EricS
Racer

United States
Austin, TX
EricS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USCR, Fox, ink TV deal

http://www.racer.com/uscr-fox-ink-tv...rticle/306686/

Be prepared for everything to be on Fox Sports 2.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:46 (Ref:3287662)   #2795
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For people in the States, a five-year TV deal with Fox Sports 1/2 is being reported, not that anyone watches television any more or will watch the series. I guess the two channels may mean more live broadcasts on FS2 rather than being just delayed on FS1. The Kansas round for Grand-Am this year is being shown live on FS2 with a replay the following day on FS1, and Laguna this year is also live on FS1.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3287664)   #2796
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS View Post
USCR, Fox, ink TV deal

http://www.racer.com/uscr-fox-ink-tv...rticle/306686/

Be prepared for everything to be on Fox Sports 2.
Interesting. Fox Sports2 is going to be the channel that is currently called Fuel. I have never heard of that channel but looked it up and it looks like I have access to it on Dish Network, so that is good for me. No details on international coverage or streaming as of yet.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3287680)   #2797
Maelochs
Veteran

I do Not have access to Fuel, and will not pay the considerable fee to get it. FOX1 needs to either get in a step lower down the cable package tier or write it off.

I already pay extra for Fox1 (formerly Speed, Speedvision ) and even more extra for NBC-SN (ex-Versus OLN.)These people think I am going to tell my wife we need to spend even more money each month so I can have what I want? If they are so powerful, they can get Fox2 on the same package as Fox1.

USCR needs to think hard about this stuff. How many race fans are willing to buy another tier of sports channels just for 12 races a year?

On the other hand, for the price of another tier of cable, I could go to another race each season.

On the other other hand, that would cause even worse problems with my wife.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 17:41 (Ref:3287682)   #2798
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Come, people, its good news!

1. A major television network is interested in broadcasting USCR and Conti Challenge.
2. They signed a 5-year deal.
3. It's no less than Fox, so they will surely put the channels into millions of homes.
4. The channels will have lots of other sports, so there will be cross promotion (unlike the Speed era).
Old 9 Aug 2013, 17:49 (Ref:3287686)   #2799
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Fox Sorts 1/2 are not major networks.
Old 9 Aug 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3287694)   #2800
StarkNaked
Rookie

United States
West Seattle, WA USA
StarkNaked should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just checked.... I don't get Fuel on my network and it's not on a higher tier even if I was willing to pay for it.