Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 31 May 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2888851)   #2876
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Have photos in hand from Monza test, I'll post them later tonight. Nothing new that I can see, but it IS a positive they are continuing to test so close to Le Mans.
Old 31 May 2011, 16:56 (Ref:2888854)   #2877
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if aston martin will replace his v12/v8 with l6 engines will be really sad.... it reminds me the beginning of the decline of alfa romeo brand....
Old 31 May 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2888873)   #2878
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
My personal uniformed opinion is that the I6 is likely going to be for cars as Aston attempts to capture some of the down market from their current lineup. Think Aston Martin BMW 3 series fighter.

In addition, I wouldn't doubt that Audi have tested various engine configurations on their computer simulations, and know within very accurate margins of error, what they can produce in power, and what the challenges might be under the current rules.

Last edited by Fogelhund; 31 May 2011 at 17:29.
Old 31 May 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2888890)   #2879
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
good to hear that Aston are still working on the car, it may not have meet with everyones expectations so far but it may just spring a surprise
Old 31 May 2011, 18:53 (Ref:2888933)   #2880
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
leglizone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First shot from Monza test, Aston Martin is present with two cars . No Aero news for them. Today they find a raining day and run constantly for all day-long.

Old 31 May 2011, 18:58 (Ref:2888937)   #2881
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yaknow , it dont look that bad from that angle .
Old 31 May 2011, 19:11 (Ref:2888944)   #2882
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Yaknow , it dont look that bad from that angle .
But for that ugly fin!
Old 31 May 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2888969)   #2883
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
That fin ..... hummmmm ..... I shake my head in amazment at that monstrosity almost every day .

What were they thinking !!!
Old 31 May 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2888975)   #2884
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
if aston martin will replace his v12/v8 with l6 engines will be really sad.... it reminds me the beginning of the decline of alfa romeo brand....
At the risk of drifting off into an off-topic Aston road car discussion, don't forget that straight-sixes form a massive part of Aston's heritage.

Probably the most famous and iconic car they ever built used an I6....
http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-conte...martin-db5.jpg
Old 31 May 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2889020)   #2885
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
well lets all hope it developes into as good a unit as the old ones
Old 1 Jun 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2889126)   #2886
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Something about the look of those iconic Astons definitely causes one to forget that they were i6 rather than V8 or V12 powered, doesn't it? It really is a historic choice, but that doesn't make it a quick one. Better to have no sacred cows and quick cars a la Audi or Peugeot.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 06:02 (Ref:2889154)   #2887
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
Something about the look of those iconic Astons definitely causes one to forget that they were i6 rather than V8 or V12 powered, doesn't it? It really is a historic choice, but that doesn't make it a quick one. Better to have no sacred cows and quick cars a la Audi or Peugeot.
Agreed.
The first Lola Aston, did a great compromise, by running an aero design which carried similarities with the road cars, but still being fast.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 06:56 (Ref:2889175)   #2888
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leglizone View Post
First shot from Monza test, Aston Martin is present with two cars . No Aero news for them. Today they find a raining day and run constantly for all day-long.

Ran constantly all day long?

That's a massive leap forwards from the Test Day and the most encouraging news I've heard since the project was announced.. Let's hope they're well on their way to solving the problems.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 07:01 (Ref:2889182)   #2889
The Real DMN
Racer

England
North Yorkshire
The Real DMN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Today they find a raining day and run constantly for all day-long.
How much rain?

In the Audi R18 thread someone mentioned the Aston was lapping around 1.36/37 to Audis 1.29 and Pugs 1.30(ish). If the track was wet, thats quite encouraging from the Aston.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2889191)   #2890
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Why? The DB4/5/6/7 all had great i6 engines! and lest we forget, the DBR1 won LM with an i6. Many would argue that using two Ford V6's welded together or a Jag (based) V8 was a step in the wrong direction!

I'm not saying that an i6 would be better that the current v12's and v8's, they are great engines, but I am saying that putting an i6 into an Aston isn't the beggining of the end!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 07:23 (Ref:2889192)   #2891
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Learn what? To grenade your engines even at a hugely conservative hp rating, have a program in shambles, give the green light 6 months too early and test in public? Would throw everyone off but marketing would be set to explode....like the engines....
Oh dear. I guess some people enter this thread too pumped up with hatred to notice sarcasm even though I've put a smiley in there.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 07:35 (Ref:2889198)   #2892
leglizone
Racer

Italy
Monza Italy
leglizone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cars were on track for stint of about 10 laps with short stops in the box and they follow this program for almost all day.
Kliens's car with many aero-sensors had a different program and was slower than Fernandez, but I think they were far from 1'36'' in wet conditions even wasn't an intense rain.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 07:39 (Ref:2889201)   #2893
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Cars were on track for stint of about 10 laps with short stops in the box and they follow this program for almost all day.
Kliens's car with many aero-sensors had a different program and was slower than Fernandez, but I think they were far from 1'36'' in wet conditions even wasn't an intense rain.
Even that is encouraging. If they ran "for almost all day", even with short stops in the pits, they must have completed considerably more mileage than they managed back in April - and no-one has mentioned engine problems!
Old 1 Jun 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2889249)   #2894
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Why? The DB4/5/6/7 all had great i6 engines! and lest we forget, the DBR1 won LM with an i6. Many would argue that using two Ford V6's welded together or a Jag (based) V8 was a step in the wrong direction!

I'm not saying that an i6 would be better that the current v12's and v8's, they are great engines, but I am saying that putting an i6 into an Aston isn't the beggining of the end!
yes but those were past cars... if a manufacter decides to substitute l6 engines and dont using anymore v12/v8 is a little disappointing
Old 1 Jun 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2889258)   #2895
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Perhaps a little ironically there's currently a big push from Hackett and Aston Martin promoting VIP trips to Le Mans on the FT's front page. All this is nice promotion and positively reflects the sort of value brands see in involvement with Le Mans, sadly the imagery is all very much of last year's car...

I suspect it's a rolling ad (and may even be context sensitive and know of my interest in sportscars through looking at browsing behaviour) but worth a look on www.ft.com, the ad links through to the following auction site.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 09:44 (Ref:2889272)   #2896
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
AM have a massive US market compared to all their business everywhere else. US legislation is forcing them to find more fuel efficient engines for their cars. Hence the Toyota Aygo made over into the AM Cygnet, FFS... JUST to get the average AM 'fleet' MPG over, I think, 20?

So a light, turbocharged 2 litre 6 should easily clear THAT hurdle, and fitted into a Vantage chassis, be pretty quick too. That way they get to keep a 6 litre V12 to headline things...

And those who scoff, remember the Ferrari 288, built specifically to get round some now obsolete Italian road car taxation rules.

So, I would say it IS a likely thing in the future. Just as US carmakers will have to downsize their engines over time.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2889275)   #2897
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
P.S. Last night's M40 count was 4 Michelin transporters headed to Silverstone for FIA GT, 2 Team Yamaha race trucks, 1 Vodafone McLaren transporter headed South, 2 Gaillardos in convoy, and a DeLorean. It wasn't doing 88MPH, no flames.

Oh, and a lone Prodrive transporter truck headed North from Banbury. No other logos on it. I guess rally team?
Old 1 Jun 2011, 11:53 (Ref:2889332)   #2898
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
..Toyota Aygo ...Ferrari 288...
Wise words TtG, although I believe you mean the Toyota iQ and Ferrari 208.

I have a straight-6 engine in my dull road car and it does make a nice noise, so I'm not too worried if we are forced to listen to such engines in the future.

Sadly, the last British sportscar maker to make their own straight-6s, TVR, didn't get it quite right and it pretty much did for them as a company.
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:22 (Ref:2889353)   #2899
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
yes but those were past cars... if a manufacter decides to substitute l6 engines and dont using anymore v12/v8 is a little disappointing
I doubt that AML will stop using larger capacity V engines, and no one knows for sure that they are planning an i6 engine anyway, but with environmental demands, etc, etc, it wouldn't surprise me to see a smaller capacity i6 in a Vantage type body at some point.

It didn't do Porsche any harm when they launched the Boxster and then the Cayman now did it?
Old 1 Jun 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2889356)   #2900
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Sadly, the last British sportscar maker to make their own straight-6s, TVR, didn't get it quite right and it pretty much did for them as a company.
Well, that, and the wacky, over priced and unreliable (mainly) cars they built.

But I agree they should have moved to buying crated engines from Ford or Chevy once the Rover based V8 was past it's best.

Anyway, we digress....