Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 2 Apr 2019, 13:25 (Ref:3894857)   #2901
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two door. It was hell to drive. The seats bounced at a different rate to the suspension, made us feel a bit seasick. Went pretty well though it was a Cooper S engine basically and also had a closer ratio gearbox than the Midget IIRC

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 2 Apr 2019, 13:36 (Ref:3894859)   #2902
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
1300GT was boy racer version! Remember the orange one? And yes, only 4 door. I think you’re right about the MG’s 1275 Cooper S state of tune, Max. (And the hydrolastic bounce!)

Just arrived at my o/night halt in a decent services with clean toilets (incl seats, Gerard ), good grub and excellent WiFi. Temp was 2c earlier climbing into the mountains from Bilbao, but by time got here, screen was well splattered and thermo showing 19c. Just got into the building and there’s a massive thunderstorm...... Hopefully it was a rogue storm as I need to go back to the truck.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3894861)   #2903
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Two door. It was hell to drive. The seats bounced at a different rate to the suspension, made us feel a bit seasick. Went pretty well though it was a Cooper S engine basically and also had a closer ratio gearbox than the Midget IIRC

I always thought the MG looked very attractive with the two-tone paint jobs & MG grille. Was it Alan Foster who raced one in Gp 1 saloons? I remember it lurching through the Mallory hairpin at quite an angle.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3894863)   #2904
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
1300GT was boy racer version! Remember the orange one? And yes, only 4 door. I think you’re right about the MG’s 1275 Cooper S state of tune, Max. (And the hydrolastic bounce!)

Just arrived at my o/night halt in a decent services with clean toilets (incl seats, Gerard ), good grub and excellent WiFi. Temp was 2c earlier climbing into the mountains from Bilbao, but by time got here, screen was well splattered and thermo showing 19c. Just got into the building and there’s a massive thunderstorm...... Hopefully it was a rogue storm as I need to go back to the truck.
Just had a hailstorm & couple of rumbles of thunder here too. It must be moving fast!
Old 2 Apr 2019, 13:39 (Ref:3894864)   #2905
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
MG1300- There’s still one about, but think it was for sale recently? Goes under name of ‘Madge’.......
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3894871)   #2906
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
My Mum loved cars of course, owning many of what was exotic Italian ones. Why she felt in love with this ADO thing I still wonder? We had to stand almost the full range, Austin, MG, a wonderful Princess all in four door and the weak and noisy 1100 then came the white Morris 1300 I got as a first car. all the 1300 Gt sold here had a vinyl roof. Didn't they make some Riley or Wolseley versions too? With the lighted center badge…

E.B, I ignored about you washing old ladies… Apprenti infirmier donc?
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:32 (Ref:3894875)   #2907
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
My Mum loved cars of course, owning many of what was exotic Italian ones. Why she felt in love with this ADO thing I still wonder? We had to stand almost the full range, Austin, MG, a wonderful Princess all in four door and the weak and noisy 1100 then came the white Morris 1300 I got as a first car. all the 1300 Gt sold here had a vinyl roof. Didn't they make some Riley or Wolseley versions too? With the lighted center badge…

E.B, I ignored about you washing old ladies… Apprenti infirmier donc?
Yes Gerard, there were Riley & Wolseley versions, the Riley was called the Kestrel, the only 1100/1300 to have a name. The 1300GT's all had vinyl rooves, plus a black & chrome side stripe & fancy wheel trims.

In addition to all the saloons there was also the Austin 1100/1300 Countryman & Morris Traveller.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:44 (Ref:3894877)   #2908
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Yes John. If I remember correctly, Jensen made a really nice looking convertible based on the countryman with the hope of landing a contract to build them for BMC but it never happened.
I've found a photo - follow this link: https://www.joc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11299

Last edited by VIVA GT; 2 Apr 2019 at 14:52.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:47 (Ref:3894878)   #2909
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes John. If I remember correctly, Jensen made a really nice looking convertible based on the countryman with the hope of landing a contract to build them for BMC but it never happened.
Really? I never knew that! I bet it took some strengthening.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 14:53 (Ref:3894879)   #2910
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
You're right Viva - there's a picture & a little info on the Jensen Owners Club website. It was built in 1967 & they used the Countryman as the base because it was a 2-door, unlike the saloons at the time. Subsequently sold via a dealer apparently.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:12 (Ref:3894882)   #2911
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
My only experience of the 1100 was a hire car that broke in half going down the Devils Elbow one dark night.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3894885)   #2912
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Once again tea break educates the uninformed..... (Well, me at least )
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3894886)   #2913
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably the best thing to happen to it Bauble. I didn't love this car, and was happy to see the back of it despite its magnificent competition history. (I used it for trials as well as autotests and won a few pots)

The MG was the Cooper S specification with the smaller crank journals whereas the 1275GT had the larger "Marina" crank - a Mark 2 A Series if you like (not the A+ which was the Metro engine). Us Midget racers used to take the Marina crank and offset grind it to the older size and make a long stroke crank. 1460cc or something I was running at one stage.

Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3894889)   #2914
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Seeing as there’s a lot of clever folk on here, a question- How can I fool a certain ‘catch up’ TV service into thinking I’m in the U.K. rather than Spain with my iPad . I want to watch the Bahrain highlights but it’s ‘geo blocked’... (I think that’s the term )
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:34 (Ref:3894890)   #2915
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Back in the 80's I bought an MOT failed 1300GT and a taty Mini Clubman Traveller from two different workmates.
I took the engine and 'box out of the GT and rebuilt them. I also took the dashboard instruments from the GT too. Made a new dashboard for the Mini to fit them and swapped the engine & box. I got a set of the larger 1275GT Mini front disc brake assemblies (fitted to the cars with larger Denovo run-flat tyres) as I reasoned that the increased power would require better stopping and to get the gearing right, fitted 12" Hillman Imp wheels as they were the same stud pattern as a Mini (but needed larger wheel studs)..
Once run in it was quite a wolf in sheep's clothing and went very well, would run the speedo off the clock to 'oil pressure warning light MPH'! (It stopped pretty impressively too!)
I also used it to tow my Mini Se7en racer at the time, but found if I stopped on the hill from the paddock at Brands near to The Kentagon, it would just spin the wheels and go nowhere so I had to roll back down onto flatter ground and take a run at it.
Happy days.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3894892)   #2916
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Seeing as there’s a lot of clever folk on here, a question- How can I fool a certain ‘catch up’ TV service into thinking I’m in the U.K. rather than Spain with my iPad . I want to watch the Bahrain highlights but it’s ‘geo blocked’... (I think that’s the term )
You need a VPN and the only ones I know that work in the UK are paid. Hotspot shield is free if You want to watch USA but around $100 per year if you want to change locations. I use it because I spent a lot of time overseas.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:41 (Ref:3894893)   #2917
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks Peter- thought it was a forelorn hope!

Back to the old days then- reading the Autosport report on Thursday......
Old 2 Apr 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3894896)   #2918
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
If it is Ch 4 Mike you could try this. Note I have not used it but saw it online and thought it might be good for my Mum in Spain. I have no idea if or how it works. Might be worth looking at if the more cluey than me types dont have an answer.

https://unlocator.com/channel/channel-4/
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3894897)   #2919
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Thanks Peter- thought it was a forelorn hope!

Back to the old days then- reading the Autosport report on Thursday......
If it's any consolation, I watched the C4 highlights on Sunday night & it was pretty good!

There's always the Autosport website, or Joe Saward's blog. Of course other sites are available too.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:04 (Ref:3894898)   #2920
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's a VPN and whilst it is based in the UK you can only trial it for a short while. Then you have to pay.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3894899)   #2921
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1.com has a small highlights package.... just over 7 minutes if that is better than a poke in the eye with a pointed stick.

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/20...rand_Prix.html
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:40 (Ref:3894901)   #2922
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
MG1300- There’s still one about, but think it was for sale recently? Goes under name of ‘Madge’.......

Iirc the apparently original Madge was burnt to nothing along with a few other interesting (F1 and F5000) cars in highly destructive garage fire some years ago.
Old 2 Apr 2019, 16:47 (Ref:3894903)   #2923
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
that sounds like Steve Atkinson's car, which he sold (with expired FIA papers) through an East Anglian auction house recently....
Old 2 Apr 2019, 17:10 (Ref:3894906)   #2924
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
that sounds like Steve Atkinson's car, which he sold (with expired FIA papers) through an East Anglian auction house recently....
Ah, that’s where I saw it for sale! Is it same car that did the 360MRC 6hr?
Old 2 Apr 2019, 17:49 (Ref:3894913)   #2925
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!Gerard C is going for a new world record!
Viva thanks for the picture and info too. When people say the road holding was special to say the least I feel sorry because mine was a real glue on the tarmac. May be a matter of driving skills I suppose. My first real car learning me how to cope with "some" understeering. Flat out days!

I like to watch GP highlights specially in English and avoiding Roomain G comments…*Can you imagine that here him and his wife were safety ambassadors?