Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Jul 2012, 21:39 (Ref:3102589)   #276
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhall View Post
Has anyone got a contact number for chief marshal or other alternative official who's on site? As I've had to withdraw through illness, MSA Events want my guest passes returning before the GP - have said I can get them to someone on the campsite, but obviously not through the post because there's no recorded post service from a swimming pool in the middle of a campsite. My guest has been re-located thanks to some friends.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks.
Alex, your friend has sorted your wristbands, I'll pm you tomorrow.
Old 5 Jul 2012, 22:54 (Ref:3102615)   #277
SRPhoto
Veteran

Wales
Wrexham
SRPhoto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just need to thank the guy with the land rover who took my caravan up the hill for me today when my car could not make it!

Sure these pitches are a lot smaller this year?

BMMC Member since Oct 2001
Marshalled my first Rally on 9th March 2002 (Malcolm Wilson Rally)
Marshalled my first Race on 6th April 2002 (750MC - Oulton Park)
Marshalled my first British F1 GP 18th/20th July 2003
Old 6 Jul 2012, 11:59 (Ref:3102826)   #278
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet View Post
Alex, your friend has sorted your wristbands, I'll pm you tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 6 Jul 2012, 13:20 (Ref:3102857)   #279
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRPhoto View Post
Just need to thank the guy with the land rover who took my caravan up the hill for me today when my car could not make it!

Sure these pitches are a lot smaller this year?
Was it a red Landy? If so it was my OH and I'll let him know
Old 6 Jul 2012, 13:29 (Ref:3102861)   #280
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone turning cars back on A43 now, saying no more room on car parks.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3102865)   #281
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
I can see BCE using this against Silverstone (again). A London GP round the Olympic site edges closer to reality. Public transport laid on - no muddy slopy fields in the middle of nowhere.

However, those that say it's an extreme weather event , hmm?
I seem to have spent many years wading through mud at the British/Euro GPs - not fun. I feel for those of you there, but really glad I chose to duck out this year. <quacks>

Last edited by Bodysnatcher; 6 Jul 2012 at 13:42. Reason: no phone calls neccesary this time if the clipe misquotes me
Old 6 Jul 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3102902)   #282
FATNACKER
Racer

United Kingdom
WILTON
FATNACKER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GP

I Take my hat off to all the guys and gals marshalling at the GP ! Disgusting conditions, well done to you all!! Ive done a few wet ones in my time, But not as wet as today i think
Old 6 Jul 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3102945)   #283
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hear Hear Fatnacker! Don't envy you people at all - from the comfort of my armchair (sorry had to put that in!). But seriously, it sounds like nothing has changed since 2002, the last one we did, when they first put us on the side of a hill with no thought about rain and mud. In 10 years have they not thought to BUY some moveable tracking to lay down all over the site and take up again after the event - whatever the weather forecast? Not that expensive and it really does work when you know in advance it's a recurring problem. A drop in the ocean cost compared to what's been spent on the VIPs - but we are "only" marshals.
Old 6 Jul 2012, 18:39 (Ref:3102965)   #284
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone are advising people (Who are not already there) not to come tomorrow!!
They will also be refunding those who couldn't get in today and that are not coming tomorrow!
Old 6 Jul 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3102989)   #285
chriskench
Racer

England
henley-on-thames
chriskench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi everyone i have got ticket to come over weekend just wonder if you lot think tihnk its still worth going up and finding somewhere to park thanks
Old 6 Jul 2012, 20:16 (Ref:3103005)   #286
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Radio reports are saying that if you're not already there, don't attempt to get in.

BBC
Old 6 Jul 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3103055)   #287
Piglet
Veteran

If you're coming as a marshals guest then security are currently saying that they will not allow marshals access to car park 26 which is where marshals were being parked as it has been reallocated as hospitality car parking. The campsite is a no go area.

Security say that commuting marshals should be allowed into 26 in the morning but it's unclear how those two statements stack up.
Old 7 Jul 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3103213)   #288
alexhall
Racer

England
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
alexhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caption competition? "So Norman, you think you've got piles..."

Old 8 Jul 2012, 16:48 (Ref:3103830)   #289
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Home indoors before 5pm - Job Done!
Mega thanks from Elaine & I to everyone on 'Team Brooklands' your were stars.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3103833)   #290
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
You and your good lady dont happen to live in silverswtone villiage do you????
Old 8 Jul 2012, 20:35 (Ref:3103927)   #291
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No mate, the village outside Mallory - 45 miles north of Silverstone, left Brooklands after the G.P. walked back to the campsite, waited for my Mrs who got the bus back and my mate Adrian from Vale, drove home dropping Adrian off on the way back. Local knowledge and no fear of country lanes works wonders.
Old 8 Jul 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3103930)   #292
flying muppet
Veteran

England
Deepest Shropshire
flying muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks so much to the campsite JCB teams, providing a fantastic service in pouring rain! My worries all weekend about exactly how we were going to get the car out of the quagmire were totally unnecessary!

Thanks also to Neil, Des, Steve and the rest of the Copse crew! It may well have been quiet all weekend but we had a laugh, despite the worst that the Summer weather could throw at us...

See you all again soon guys!
Old 8 Jul 2012, 21:05 (Ref:3103939)   #293
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
many thanks to the guys manning the jcbs and tractors, fantastic job to get people out
Old 9 Jul 2012, 07:10 (Ref:3104038)   #294
snetterton madness
Rookie

England
Norwich
snetterton madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you

A big big thankyou to the jcb drivers who helped everyone out of the marshalls campsite.

To everyone on Maggots thankyou for an enjoyable weekend dispite the weather, hope to see you at Snetterton sometime.

Old 9 Jul 2012, 08:31 (Ref:3104058)   #295
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that was a strange GP weather wise. Roasting hot on Thursday, wet wet wet on Friday, Saturday nice, wet, nice and Sunday cold then nice. managed to get the tent and gazebo packed away dry on Sunday before the heavens opened. Decided to drive down the campsite hill towards the spectators camp site which had metal tracking laid down (so the excuse that none was put down in the marshals campsite as it is all at the Olympics is a load of b******s) and was out really quickly. 45 minute delay in traffic but got home at 20.20 after dropping my mate off in St Helens at 19:45 (which was the time i left the marshals camp site in 2011)

Thanks to all at Stowe outside for lots of laughs in very trying conditions.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 9 Jul 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3104063)   #296
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Only took me 'til 6pm to get to Cambridge..without any knowledge of back roads. Thanks, also, to the tractor boys, who I didn't really thank properly at the time, owing to being very tired, and not realising that he didn't need to drag me any further.

No thanks to the noisy so-and-sos, next to me on the campsite, yawping at each other across the table until past midnight on Thu/Fri night

Cheers to the woodcote crew...absolutely nothing for us to do, incident-wise, all weekend, but we still had fun anyway.

....now, can anybody remind me, was last month's MSVR meeting NAT A or B
Old 9 Jul 2012, 09:36 (Ref:3104080)   #297
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as first GP's go I think that was excellent! Really enjoyed the racing, the atmosphere and the comradery!

We even managed to escape the carpark without the need for a tow (only just mind!!)

The only things which did put a dampner (sorry) on the weekend was the toilets on far end of the campsite being locked up from Friday and as for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness2702 View Post
Noisy so and sos next to me on the campsite, yawping at each other across the table until past midnight on Thu/Fri night
If they were the same ones screaming and swearing at each other and singing along to Heart FM then I was just a couple of tents over and they deserved to be shot!
Old 9 Jul 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3104119)   #298
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I would like to add my sincere thanks to the Snatch guys for volunteering to get us all out of the campsite...Thanks guys, you are true friends and colleagues!

My beef is with those who despite being asked/told not to move vehicles once on the site insisted on driving from their pitch to the toilets and back, not very helpful chaps. Then there was the motorhome that drove from one side of the site to the other to fill his water tank, got stuck and had to be towed back, what part of no vehicle movements do you not understand? People like this only make matters worse for the rest of the crew.

All in all a very enjoyable weekend though, it was great to meet up with so many friends that I don't get the opportunity to see for much of the year. Thanks also to my team at Club who braved the dreadful weather with a cheery smile and good spirit.

Thanks everyone.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3104131)   #299
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That was my 3rd GP and after not even touching a car for the last 2, I think Vale Out made up for that this year! 2 HFO cars (including Jackie Stewart's old Tyrell/Matra that was pirouetting all over the wet grass. We managed to push him towards the edge of the track, getting covered in water/mud from the spinning wheels, only for him to spin 180 degrees as soon as I let go of the wing!! We went back & pushed him right onto the track, getting even wetter & got applauded by the Club grandstand!), 2 GP3 cars, including one that nearly came through the marshal's gap, 4 GP2 cars, with Ceccoto's car slamming sideways into the barrier which we were standing behind (causing me to leg it behind the portaloo!!!) plus 2 F1 cars - Grosjean span into the gravel during Q2 & Petrov's Caterham went bang while driving to the grid & stopped at pit entrance, needing a push down the pit lane.

We had a great team on post, with every incident handled well and morale was great, even during the wettest times. The fans were also brilliant during the downtime in practice & Q2, with Mexican waves travelling from Abbey to Vale. We even did a few down the pitlane!

I parked in the 'day' carpark so got out easily & was home in 90 minutes but I saw the great work being done by the JCB & tractor drivers. Let's see if some lessons have been learnt for next year.
Old 9 Jul 2012, 16:26 (Ref:3104263)   #300
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was certainly an eventful GP!

Had an enjoyable time at Copse Exit, flagging with Two Sheds and ...... (sorry, am useless with names!)

The campsite was interesting to say the least - arriving was not too bad. The commute to and from post was achieved mostly without getting covered in mud - which made things more manageable, but discouraged you from doing much visiting!

Getting out this morning was truly interesting - having got up at 7, hoping for a route out, we were still in the quagmire. Thanks to Donington snatch crews, we got pushed out of the hole we found 30 feet from our pitch and with a JCB help at the bottom of the field, we were on our way to work

So, thankyou VERY much to the snatch JCB drivers - I'm sure they'll be swimming in beer and wine 'thankyous' - I know I'll take some beer to the guy that helped me.

See you next year - I said no, but maybe.....