Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 7 Oct 2010, 07:46 (Ref:2770708)   #276
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6157 View Post
Seriously? And right after you posted this, no less...

GT1 is a dead class. It's being propped up by the arrogance of a man who can't accept he cannot force manufacturers into running years old cars and technology. If Toyota wants any relevance in sports car racing, they'll be running ALMS/LeMans.
Nissan made a GTR for GT1 for what reason then? It might be a dead class as far as LeMans is concerned, but FIA doesn't believe so. It's done well in it's 'new' series, considering people were thinking it'd flop.
Old 7 Oct 2010, 08:05 (Ref:2770715)   #277
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's done well in it's 'new' series, considering people were thinking it'd flop.
Had there been no massive balance of performance -tweakings, I really doubt GTR would stand any chance against the Maserati, Corvette and Aston.
Old 7 Oct 2010, 08:59 (Ref:2770748)   #278
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Had there been no massive balance of performance -tweakings, I really doubt GTR would stand any chance against the Maserati, Corvette and Aston.
Why do you say that? They ran against them last year in the 24Hours of Spa and were only off the pace by about 5 seconds, running in this years trim. Qualifying was 2:18's for Maserati and 2:24's for the GTR. Now compare that to this years race at Spa, the fastest GTR did a 2:19.399 from the Swiss racing team, then the fastest time the MC12 did was 2:18.322 from the triple H team. In fact, the fastest time from this year in qualifying was almost a half second faster than last years time with a 2:17.605 compared to a 2:18.030. So it looks like Nissan has made some strides, and GT1 isn't as 'slow' as some think it is, at least not at Spa.

It's still a far cry from the speeds of 2008 though with 2:13.9 in qualifying from the Saleen S7, but they've gained some speed from last year.

Last edited by TF110; 7 Oct 2010 at 09:10.
Old 7 Oct 2010, 12:58 (Ref:2770845)   #279
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now then, I love the exchange of opinions, but again I'll remind everyone of the thread title and the fact that we are consistently drifting off-topic with the GT1 debate. Either we stick to 'Toyota in Le Mans 2011' or I start splitting GT1 based replies off to another thread.......
Old 25 Nov 2010, 10:55 (Ref:2795575)   #280
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not great news in Autosport today regarding Toyota. Apparently they have deferred their decision on motorsport activity until March due to current economic factors.

Autosport are still saying it is most likely a customer-driven GT2 project. But this completely flies in the face of other reports (can't remember the name of the guy) who seemed to think Toyota were underway developing an LMP1.

Either way, you gotta love the Japanese. Make a decision boys!
Old 26 Nov 2010, 11:07 (Ref:2796002)   #281
TF110
Veteran

United States
Toyota announced that in a few weeks they'll make a statement on their motorsports project.
Old 26 Nov 2010, 15:50 (Ref:2796126)   #282
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Toyota announced that in a few weeks they'll make a statement on their motorsports project.
Flashback!

Anyone remembering last years hype, which led to nothing!?
Old 26 Nov 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2796129)   #283
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Flashback!

Anyone remembering last years hype, which led to nothing!?
Yes, but the difference is that this time people within industry are talking about this or suddenly can't say what their up to as they move to Germany...
Old 26 Nov 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2796131)   #284
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MulsanneMike View Post
Yes, but the difference is that this time people within industry are talking about this or suddenly can't say what their up to as they move to Germany...
True.
But still, i'm a bit more pessimistic this time around. Last time, we did also have a silhouette of a Lmp racer.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 09:12 (Ref:2796351)   #285
TF110
Veteran

United States
It's going to be something with the LFA, or with LeMans, maybe both. I doubt it'll be F1 again anytime soon. Toyota is up to something, and their facilities in Cologne are big enough for multiple projects to be going on. I wonder though, what about the guy that moved on to take Mario Theissen's place at BMW, if he knows something and is going to BMW to help with the challenge. The only thing I've heard about him is the M3 and DTM project.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 17:46 (Ref:2796515)   #286
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A while back Autosport said a new program needed to pay for itself with customer car sales hence WRC and GTE being considered.

That may still be the case but the rumours about an LMP at Cologne seem to have substance. Given the way the regs are moving with hybrids it would seem a perfect fit.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2796534)   #287
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
A while back Autosport said a new program needed to pay for itself with customer car sales hence WRC and GTE being considered.

That may still be the case but the rumours about an LMP at Cologne seem to have substance. Given the way the regs are moving with hybrids it would seem a perfect fit.
Maybe a Lmp2 customer car?
Old 27 Nov 2010, 21:41 (Ref:2796576)   #288
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Maybe a Lmp2 customer car?
I can't see Toyota coming back with LMP2 customer cars. If they were to return, it would have to be P1. No guts, no glory.
Old 27 Nov 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2796578)   #289
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I can't see Toyota coming back with LMP2 customer cars. If they were to return, it would have to be P1. No guts, no glory.
If they can make a sh*t load of money on it!?
Maybe as support of a later Lmp1?
Old 27 Nov 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2796586)   #290
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I dont think they would ever make huge amounts of money off a customer programme. It just had to fund itself.

So many conflicting stories flying around it's very hard to say. Cologne is one thing but it is very much the men in the Japanese boardroom that hold the power. The engine is there, that has to be a positive. Beyond that who knows. I have said before I believe if they do announce an LMP1 programme it will bring even more manufacturers to the table.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 06:27 (Ref:2796651)   #291
TF110
Veteran

United States
I say they're gauging the success of their engine and from there maybe something else will come in the form of an LMP project. The TS020 was a winning car save for the tire blowouts. I'm sure Toyota have unfinished business they'd like to settle. But I think the LFA project will be moving forward. We'll have to wait to be certain. That's just my guess.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 14:48 (Ref:2796775)   #292
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The problem with any LFA program is the car could be yesterdays news by the time a race car launches, let alone three years into any such program.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 14:54 (Ref:2796776)   #293
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
Quote:
The problem with any LFA program is the car could be yesterdays news by the time a race car launches, let alone three years into any such program.
The truth is, that it's almost already is?.
As Richard Hammond said, it's the engineers wet dream (might be wrong), nothing more.
Lexus/Toyota has nothing really to brand with that car as it's not a car they will make any money on.

a car with GT potential could be the upcoming replacement for the Celica/Mr-2?. (Se the FT-86 and FT-HS concepts)

Is there any date on the announcement yet?, and/or where should we look for it?
Old 28 Nov 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2796801)   #294
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all we know, rather then doing sports cars, they could be planning a touring car program or a rally program.
Old 28 Nov 2010, 18:33 (Ref:2796839)   #295
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche91722 View Post
I agree .
Old 29 Nov 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2797163)   #296
Matador
Veteran

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, they did their official announcement as to their motorsport activities in march as well IIRC.

Aren't they providing an LMP1 engine for Rebellion?
Old 29 Nov 2010, 13:50 (Ref:2797166)   #297
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Yes, although neither party is admitting it officially. On the SPEED online sportscar-related chat last weekend there were some news (I think from Marcel ten Caat of Planetlemans.com) about the team doing engine durability testing in recent weeks at an undisclosed Iberian racing circuit.
Old 29 Nov 2010, 14:24 (Ref:2797180)   #298
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yes the above is true - the Toyota engine has been testing for some time
Old 29 Nov 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2797193)   #299
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
The story was originally leaked to Autosport about 5-6 weeks ago, if I remember correctly it came from a technician working with Lola... they should know some of the details, of course, since they should be working with the team on matters of engine installation (and a lot of other things too).
Old 30 Nov 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2797412)   #300
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
What you're saying here isn't true. The car (production) is to be released in February. It's basically done. A race version wouldn't be too hard to have ready by next year either. They already had a race version based on the production car run at the 24hours of the Ring earlier this year.