Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Sep 2009, 19:20 (Ref:2539182)   #276
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't speak for others, but I'm not calling for a life ban. However, two wrongs don't make a right, and Senna ought to have been severely punished for Suzuka 1990. At least Senna made it obvious what he was doing. And there wasn't any mendacity was there? Whereas Renault seem to be denying this, despite also bizarrely acknowledging that the notion of Piquet crashing was discussed.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:27 (Ref:2539237)   #277
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Anyway, apparently this guy he lived with is his old mechanic, Agnaldo Furlani
I remember the guy. He couldn't speak a word of English so we never chatted, but he always said whatever the Portuguese for 'hello' is and was very friendly and normal.

As Nelsinho says in that interview, he was was like a second father to him, but much more straightforward and less devious. There was absolutely nothing strange about their relationship.

No wonder Rubens is annoyed on Nelson's behalf. I've always thought Briatore was a nasty piece of work and confirms it. To me it also suggests that he's seriously worried and clutching at straws.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2539242)   #278
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
But that was 20 years ago. Now we are safety-obsessed.
Lets be honest. Senna was the B......S, not in Piquets league and we all knew at the time what he was going to do before the start. Some people even looked forward to the clash, and were waiting for the illegal move.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2539261)   #279
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it was highly anticipated and detailed in TV one day before the race...
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:12 (Ref:2539263)   #280
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
It was fantastic though!!
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:16 (Ref:2539265)   #281
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In one sense, Senna's move on Prost was worse then Piquet's thing because he could have killed another driver; it was a dramatic collision.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:30 (Ref:2539276)   #282
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Deliberately colliding with a competitor at high speed with the aim of taking him out of the race - Bad.

Deliberately crashing on your own as part of some crazy scam - Bad, not quite as bad as the above.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:40 (Ref:2539280)   #283
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had Senna done that in the year 2009, he would've been kicked out, no question. But it was in the year 1990, and he's been dead 14 years, so it's largely irrelevant really
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2539283)   #284
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One thought. Piquet Jrn crashed to fix a race, allegedly asked by his team bosses.

Rubens slowed and let his mate win to fix a race, openly ordered by his team bosses.

What's worse ?

Piquet Jrn, Briatore and Symmonds

or

Rubens, Todt and Brawn ?

Basically the same thing.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:48 (Ref:2539284)   #285
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The rules about team orders affecting the race has changed (E.G. the clause has been added), and the current incident is clearly damaging to the sport. Tu quoque isn't the best way of resolving these things.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:53 (Ref:2539288)   #286
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Well Bon ethically both actions are as bad as each other, the difference being that slowing down to let your team mate pass is not going to get anyone hurt, and crashing might have..

But it's all a giant bloody yawn to be honest..
Old 12 Sep 2009, 21:58 (Ref:2539289)   #287
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Tu quoque
Hush hush, eye to eye.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2539298)   #288
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Tu quoque ?
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2539323)   #289
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Tu quoque ?
Latin for 'You too' or 'You also'.To accuse someone of the same charge.
Old 12 Sep 2009, 23:57 (Ref:2539328)   #290
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Now let's imagine that Raikkonen had spun at turn 17 just shortly after Massa had pitted.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 01:31 (Ref:2539346)   #291
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Latin for 'You too' or 'You also'.To accuse someone of the same charge.
I know that, I was asking the same way

Although it might be referring to the term as a "logical fallacy"...
Old 13 Sep 2009, 01:33 (Ref:2539347)   #292
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Now let's imagine that Raikkonen had spun at turn 17 just shortly after Massa had pitted.
Ok, I'm imagining...
Old 13 Sep 2009, 08:04 (Ref:2539427)   #293
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Ok, I'm imagining...
OK.Let's just swap the gaudy coloured Renault cars for the red cars and run the same scenario.

Basically the same thing?
Old 13 Sep 2009, 09:25 (Ref:2539461)   #294
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Here's an interesting and strong point of view expressed by Patrick Head.

The angle that Formula 1's integrity is at stake here is one that I'm hearing more often now and makes it less likely, I think, that this case is going to be swept under the carpet.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 09:35 (Ref:2539464)   #295
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
One thought. Piquet Jrn crashed to fix a race, allegedly asked by his team bosses.

Rubens slowed and let his mate win to fix a race, openly ordered by his team bosses.

What's worse ?

Piquet Jrn, Briatore and Symmonds

or

Rubens, Todt and Brawn ?

Not strictly true, the only person schumacher was able to pass as a result of rubens and the team actions was rubens himself, whereas with the piquet incident (if true) alonso was able to leapfrog/stay ahead of numerous drivers from other teams. Thereby cheating others out of points not just members of your own team - a massive difference in my opinion.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:12 (Ref:2539525)   #296
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

The angle that Formula 1's integrity is at stake here is one that I'm hearing more often now and makes it less likely, I think, that this case is going to be swept under the carpet.
If it goes to a hearing then it's not being "swept under the carpet".

The worst thing that could have happened is that nothing happened.

Nice to hear someone saying that a team needs to be dealt with firmly,rather than the more 'perhaps just a slap on the wrist because it's all something over nothing' attitude that we sometimes get.

We forget that the 'proper' punishment for McLaren should probably have been exclusion or disqualification.The $100m fine let them off lightly compared to the almost certain death of the team had a more strict punishment been given.A $100m fine doesn't come anywhere near exclusion or disqualification in terms of loss of revenue.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:44 (Ref:2539552)   #297
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless View Post
Not strictly true, the only person schumacher was able to pass as a result of rubens and the team actions was rubens himself, whereas with the piquet incident (if true) alonso was able to leapfrog/stay ahead of numerous drivers from other teams. Thereby cheating others out of points not just members of your own team - a massive difference in my opinion.
The idea is to let his teammate win, right ? Not strictly, but basically the same thing as fixing a race. THAT's where everything starts wrong, once you can't agree on a principle, you can argue every aspect of the issue.

In my opinion, Rubens said that one who crashes to fix a race don't deserve to be in the sport. I agree, pretty much what I thought about him after Austria 2002.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 11:53 (Ref:2539556)   #298
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
OK.Let's just swap the gaudy coloured Renault cars for the red cars and run the same scenario.

Basically the same thing?
Red cars ? Do you want me to imagine the Marlboro red or the new Santander red ?

Speaking of imagining, let's go back to the root of this idea.

That should be easy to imagine if you have a six pack of beers...

I don't drink alcoholic drinks.

But I can fantasize pretty well about those girls standing in front of me...

Baaack on topic, hurry !!!!
Old 13 Sep 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2539578)   #299
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Here's an interesting and strong point of view expressed by Patrick Head.

Yeah, I think that good old mate Livio has hit the sport there...
One can't be sure, but Briatore might get out of this unscathed

If I was Junior, I would do a "Pedro Diniz", go back home, get hold of one of Dad's millionaire business and spend with lots of "wannabe models" that are available everywhere in that country... you never can get enough of that. And forget about F1 for good.
Old 13 Sep 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2539579)   #300
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
to me "race fixing" implies the results have been fixed in order to win a wager or money. and since this is F1 and every position is worth prize money this should be a case of major fraud (BE comments at OZ this year)

If the FIA has proof (even proof enough that this episode deserves further scrutiny) how has evidence not been turned over to the authorities who should be involved by now? at the very least a proper police investigation would keep Flav from shooting his mouth off.