Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 20 Nov 2007, 20:54 (Ref:2071986)   #276
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think duke_toaster has succeeded AlfaFan in being king of the speculation list.
Old 21 Nov 2007, 01:42 (Ref:2072169)   #277
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
So many false promises surround racing in general, but seemingly more Touring Cars than anything else.
I remember when Nordauto said that they were going to be attending the final rounds of the BTCC in 1998 with Larini and Tarquini in the Alfa 156, with a full assault in 1999, I was overjoyed! Though this all turned out to be a heinous lie of gargantuous proportions, and we all know that didn't happen.

Since then ive been very wary about cars making it on the grid, ive adopted a "i'll believe it when I see it" mentality.

Last edited by Sodemo; 21 Nov 2007 at 01:47.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 20:36 (Ref:2074395)   #278
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see in Autosport the deal with Dunlop has been extended to 2011 and the ITV coverage another 3 years. Not sure on what format, but we'll find out soon no doubt.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2074443)   #279
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
So many false promises surround racing in general, but seemingly more Touring Cars than anything else.
I remember when Nordauto said that they were going to be attending the final rounds of the BTCC in 1998 with Larini and Tarquini in the Alfa 156, with a full assault in 1999, I was overjoyed! Though this all turned out to be a heinous lie of gargantuous proportions, and we all know that didn't happen.

Since then ive been very wary about cars making it on the grid, ive adopted a "i'll believe it when I see it" mentality.
true, I know first hand of three big deals over the last 20 years, which were signed, sealed and fell apart at the last minute. One thing can easily change what looked like a certainty (one even had their cars delivered)...so treat pretty much everything as unconfirmed until qualifying at the first race.
Old 23 Nov 2007, 23:09 (Ref:2074455)   #280
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
I see in Autosport the deal with Dunlop has been extended to 2011 and the ITV coverage another 3 years. Not sure on what format, but we'll find out soon no doubt.
Rubber of some sort for the first deal I presume?
Old 24 Nov 2007, 15:29 (Ref:2074712)   #281
jonnyuk
Rookie

jonnyuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
has there been any more rumours about the Arena/Ford thing? Was thinking today that now Chilton has gone to TD perhaps this might affect this as he would have been the main driver?
Old 24 Nov 2007, 17:55 (Ref:2074780)   #282
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the main person funding the project was reportedly Tom Chilton's dad. One can only assume that the project may have stopped!
Old 24 Nov 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2074856)   #283
jonnyuk
Rookie

jonnyuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Sally
As the main person funding the project was reportedly Tom Chilton's dad. One can only assume that the project may have stopped!
i guessed so as this would have been his last hope should it not be for the TD drive he has got
Old 26 Nov 2007, 19:34 (Ref:2075978)   #284
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTCC to limit CO2 levels from 2009:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=1664
Old 27 Nov 2007, 06:17 (Ref:2076258)   #285
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a bit strange. How would they fit that into the S2000-regulations? And how do they want to check it?
Old 27 Nov 2007, 08:05 (Ref:2076291)   #286
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One of those emmisions probe that are stuck up the end of the exhaust I guess.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 10:15 (Ref:2076343)   #287
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which manufacturers and existing cars would suffer from this regulation? How do TDi cars fit in with it?
Old 27 Nov 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2076619)   #288
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't like the sound of this, surely the point of S2000 is a car from any country can race in any other ...
Old 27 Nov 2007, 17:55 (Ref:2076663)   #289
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
How do TDi cars fit in with it?
I actually think the TDIs will have less problems with this than the normal petrol cars, as they are quite filtered already to avoid the typical big black clouds when they hammer the throttle down.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 18:44 (Ref:2076705)   #290
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
I actually think the TDIs will have less problems with this than the normal petrol cars, as they are quite filtered already to avoid the typical big black clouds when they hammer the throttle down.
Aye, the petrol cars ironically have black smoke when the lift the throttle.
Old 27 Nov 2007, 20:27 (Ref:2076782)   #291
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is policed like the "compulsory catalytic convertors" then it won't affect anyone. but it looks good to the press and the enviro-mentalists.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 09:58 (Ref:2077145)   #292
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesels produce less CO2 by nature. Unfortunately they still have other environmental disadvantages, like highe emissions of dust and CO. Slightly going offtopic, I think in a densely populated area dieselengines are worse for health and the environment then petrol-fuelled cars.
Old 28 Nov 2007, 10:13 (Ref:2077160)   #293
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Road car emissions are assessed under road conditions. Surely its meaningless trying to simulate a road car under race conditions in order to properly parallel the emissions between the two as the general public will never drive their cars in that way ? It looks like a PR stunt to me, one that plays into the hands of the environmentalists and cynics alike.

If Alan Gow wants to embrace the green lobby he would be better focusing on fuel economy - each car has a fuel allowance for the weekend, they have to do a certain amount of practice laps and of course the race itself. That would automatically deal with 'scarce resources', 'emissions' and of course give the manufacturers the opportunity of advertising tag lines - 'winner of the BTCC at Thruxton at 35mpg'.

As purebred racer myself, I despise all of the above though.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 17:05 (Ref:2078856)   #294
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Turner stays with Seat: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64193
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:01 (Ref:2078887)   #295
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion
I'm extremely surprised at that, but glad. I'd have thought Turner would have wanted to go back to sportcars, but hopefully he'll shake off some of that bad luck for 2008.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:05 (Ref:2078892)   #296
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
I'm extremely surprised at that, but glad. I'd have thought Turner would have wanted to go back to sportcars, but hopefully he'll shake off some of that bad luck for 2008.
In BTCC he is payed, in sportscars he has to pay?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:34 (Ref:2078914)   #297
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
In BTCC he is payed, in sportscars he has to pay?
Doubt it - he's no gentleman driver.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 18:49 (Ref:2078923)   #298
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Doubt it - he's no gentleman driver.
He does a great deal of the testing for Prodrive with the Aston DBR9, DBRS9, V8 Vantage N24 and the new V8 Vantage GT2 mule. I'm pretty sure he shakes down all the new chassis being sold for customers too. That definitely says non-gentleman driver, decent 'day job' all the way...
Old 30 Nov 2007, 19:42 (Ref:2078944)   #299
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I've got no doubt Darren can be a genuine challenger for the title providing it goes his way next year. I think perhaps he was surprised how competitive (and physical) it can get.

Next year's Leon has to be good, whether it has the TDi under the bonnet or not. Going by the Vectras pace this year, I have my fears what Neal & Giovanardi will do with a further winter's development on it.
Old 30 Nov 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2078960)   #300
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darren Turner staying at SEAT... Glad we got that sorted!

DriverTeamCarLikely/notes?
F GiovanardiVauxhallVaux Vectraconfirmed
M NealVauxhallVaux Vectraconfirmed
C TurkingtonRACBMW 320siwaiting confirmation WTCC or BTCC
T O-ColeRACBMW 320siwaiting confirmation WTCC or BTCC
J PlatoSEATSEAT Leonconfirmed
D TurnerSEATSEAT Leonconfirmed
R KerryAFMBMW 120dconfirmed
Nick LeasonAFMBMW 120dwaiting confirmation.
G SheddenDynamicsHonda Civic Mk 8confirmed
T ChiltonDynamicsHonda Civic Mk 8confirmed
A JordanEurotechHonda Integraconfirmed
M JordanEurotechHonda Integraconfirmed
ErkutArkasVaux Astra SHwaiting official confirmation
TBCArkasVaux Astra SHPlans to run second car
J GeorgeTHHonda Integraconfirmed
A TaylorR'shawHonda Integra?waiting confirmation
M DoyleR'shawHonda Civic?waiting confirmation
M BellBellTBCwaiting confirmation
K BurtBellTBCplan to run second car
M JacksonJ'sonBMW 320siwaiting confirmation
R CollardGR AsiaSEAT Leonwaiting confirmation WTCC or BTCC
TBCGR AsiaSEAT Leonwaiting confirmation WTCC or BTCC
C StocktonBTCLexus IS2000Waiting confirmation
TBCBTCLexus IS2000plan to run second car
D PinkneyA-TechAlfa 156waiting confirmation
TBCA-TechAlfa 156plan to run a second car
E MurrayQwestAlfa 156No recent news
TBCMotorbaseTBCwaiting confirmation
TBCMotorbaseTBCwaiting confirmation
J HughesKartworldTBCwaiting confirmation
TBCKartworldTBCwaiting confirmation
P LutiDread0MG ZSwaiting confirmation
Dan EavesClydeChevy LacettiNo recent news
Colin NeilClydeChevy LacettiNo recent news
TBCXeroLexus IS2000waiting confirmation
TBCXeroLexus IS2000plan to run a second car
TBCTBCTBCRumour
TBCTBCTBCRumour
S VickersOddballMazda 3Rumour

There is also a list of drivers can be anyone of the TBC drivers!
Closed Thread