Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 24 Feb 2016, 22:21 (Ref:3617496)   #3026
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
[QUOTE=Rodger Davies;3617471]I always had an issue with the PLM name, would much rather it was the Road Atlanta 10 Hours or 1000 Miles or whatever. Works for Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring, Spa, Bathurst, Dubai or whatever (whilst we're at it, Gulf 12 Hours? Pfft).
/QUOTE]

Around here we just call it "The Petite". Since ALMS is gone they
should drop "Le Mans", especially, if they have to pay to use it.

I still hope for the day its made into a 24hr.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 00:50 (Ref:3617534)   #3027
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That's my opinion. There's little connection to Le Mans anymore. Just was being sarcastic and taking a little 'America ftw' joke when I said "shorter than daytona". But I can seriously see them calling it "Lil' Daytona" or something goofy
Old 25 Feb 2016, 04:02 (Ref:3617565)   #3028
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? Dosen't the Braselton 1000 have nice ring to it?
Old 25 Feb 2016, 05:14 (Ref:3617576)   #3029
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Petit Le Mans works just fine!

L.P.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 08:58 (Ref:3617615)   #3030
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Petit Braselton?
Old 25 Feb 2016, 10:57 (Ref:3617648)   #3031
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of what they call the races ... Daytona this year was (IMO) the best in a Lot of years. Sebring stands to be the best since ... somewhere between 2008 and the last time Peugeot and/or Audi ran? ILMC? PLM this year could be (or not ... the IMSA folks have turned gold into lead before) the best in several years as well.

I don't see any of these races ever reverting to WEC status, which means we won't ever see the true P1s in them---or at least not for half a decade or so. U.S. manufacturers simply don't see value in spending like Porsche/Audi/VAG and Toyota are right now. Therefore, no reason to weaken their own in-house ad campaign ... I mean U.S racing series---by allowing the immediate contrast with much better cars.

Still, the racing can be amazing. Conti has had some excellent races through the years and no one would ever accuse its vaguely group 4-ish cars of being the best of anything. Bathhurst has staged some awesome races, and some of the Creventic races have been great ... and they were all prototype-free.

IMSA/WSCC can oput on an amazing season of racing this year. If the series can get the BoP right for Sebring and the rest of the real road tracks, we might actually see real competition among all the P teams for the overall win. The GT racing has always been good. Add a serious competitive prototype class ... no reason why the racing could not be as good as any racing anywhere.

I understand the roles that tradition can play in sports car racing and among its fans, but ultimately it is the racing, not the hype, the branding, or the history which makes or breaks the event, the season, the series.

The Rolex lost its luster when it was no longer an international race, but became a second-rate semi-pro club race. This year, however, even though it featured only one "international" P2 team it was a good race.

Sebring losts some of its luster when FIA decided to drop it and a lot more when TUSC took over ...but this year could well be a step back towards it being a notable race. it mioght never again attract an international field, but that is economics ... American buyers don't seem to respond in the same way as European buyers, to teams' racing efforts, so Euro-based manufacturers really don't have an incentive to spend a lot of money racing here. That is not the fault of TUSC, WSCC, IMSA, Grand-Am, or ALMS. it is just that racing has become more business-like through the decades.

And none of that dictates that Sevbring can never again be a great race. Look, the Indy 500 hasn't attracted international entries in what, 50 years? But it is still pretty much The major American auto race ... vying for that title with the Daytona 500, which has never attracted international anything, and only occasionally offers anything I would call "auto racing" (just kidding, folks. Enjoyed this year's race---someone actually won for some reason other than avoiding the final few huge wrecks.)

The Rolex and Sebring can regain their stature ... and so can PLM. If "European involvement" is really the deciding factor as to whether a race has any significance, or "run by Le Mans 24 rules" determines a race's value ... the all of the Camel GT years and all of Can-Am didn't qualify (for one or the other reason--and yes, I have heard of "Interserie.")

Whether or not fans continue to view Daytona, Sebring, and PLM as major sports car racing events is up to the fans ... and if fans choose not to ... doesn't hurt me much. I go either way, and enjoy as much as I can.

However, I would urge fans to take a slightly broader view sometimes. PLM can have its own worth aside form any supposed "Le Mans' connection. Sebring can be a worthwhile race even if two or three big European teams don't choose to compete.

The names matter to recall the history ... but also as names, to identify the events. The events can change just as the tracks can change, without the event losing its cachet, or its vaue.

PLM might not be the same race it was in 1999, but using that to cut it into tiny peices or devalue it altogether .. Le Mans isn't the same race it was in 1923 or 1953 or 1973 ... anyone here think it should be cut to a four-hour sprint? or forced to change its name because the race and the course has changed?

"Petit Le Mans" hasn't been completely sold out ... it has changed and adapted but it is still pretty close to what it was at its inception---a true North American sports car endurance race. Whittling away at it because we don't still live in 1999 ... well, why not the 2.5 hours of Sebring?

Now ... Lone Star Le Mans .... you want a target, how can you overlook that one?
Old 25 Feb 2016, 11:01 (Ref:3617650)   #3032
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And no, I am in no way embarrassed by or apologetic for that senseless rambling screed I just posted. I haven't been to bed yet and I am so amped on coffee i am surprised I can type ... and I am leaving for Sebring in a few minutes, so i won't sleep for a Long time (I Hope) and when I do I will have forgotten I posted all that drivel. In fact, I will probably not recall posting it and will swear someone hacked my account.
Old 25 Feb 2016, 14:22 (Ref:3617697)   #3033
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Regardless of what they call the races ... Daytona this year was (IMO) the best in a Lot of years. Sebring stands to be the best since ... somewhere between 2008 and the last time Peugeot and/or Audi ran? ILMC? PLM this year could be (or not ... the IMSA folks have turned gold into lead before) the best in several years as well.

I don't see any of these races ever reverting to WEC status, which means we won't ever see the true P1s in them---or at least not for half a decade or so. U.S. manufacturers simply don't see value in spending like Porsche/Audi/VAG and Toyota are right now. Therefore, no reason to weaken their own in-house ad campaign ... I mean U.S racing series---by allowing the immediate contrast with much better cars.

Still, the racing can be amazing. Conti has had some excellent races through the years and no one would ever accuse its vaguely group 4-ish cars of being the best of anything. Bathhurst has staged some awesome races, and some of the Creventic races have been great ... and they were all prototype-free.

IMSA/WSCC can oput on an amazing season of racing this year. If the series can get the BoP right for Sebring and the rest of the real road tracks, we might actually see real competition among all the P teams for the overall win. The GT racing has always been good. Add a serious competitive prototype class ... no reason why the racing could not be as good as any racing anywhere.

I understand the roles that tradition can play in sports car racing and among its fans, but ultimately it is the racing, not the hype, the branding, or the history which makes or breaks the event, the season, the series.

The Rolex lost its luster when it was no longer an international race, but became a second-rate semi-pro club race. This year, however, even though it featured only one "international" P2 team it was a good race.

Sebring losts some of its luster when FIA decided to drop it and a lot more when TUSC took over ...but this year could well be a step back towards it being a notable race. it mioght never again attract an international field, but that is economics ... American buyers don't seem to respond in the same way as European buyers, to teams' racing efforts, so Euro-based manufacturers really don't have an incentive to spend a lot of money racing here. That is not the fault of TUSC, WSCC, IMSA, Grand-Am, or ALMS. it is just that racing has become more business-like through the decades.

And none of that dictates that Sevbring can never again be a great race. Look, the Indy 500 hasn't attracted international entries in what, 50 years? But it is still pretty much The major American auto race ... vying for that title with the Daytona 500, which has never attracted international anything, and only occasionally offers anything I would call "auto racing" (just kidding, folks. Enjoyed this year's race---someone actually won for some reason other than avoiding the final few huge wrecks.)

The Rolex and Sebring can regain their stature ... and so can PLM. If "European involvement" is really the deciding factor as to whether a race has any significance, or "run by Le Mans 24 rules" determines a race's value ... the all of the Camel GT years and all of Can-Am didn't qualify (for one or the other reason--and yes, I have heard of "Interserie.")

Whether or not fans continue to view Daytona, Sebring, and PLM as major sports car racing events is up to the fans ... and if fans choose not to ... doesn't hurt me much. I go either way, and enjoy as much as I can.

However, I would urge fans to take a slightly broader view sometimes. PLM can have its own worth aside form any supposed "Le Mans' connection. Sebring can be a worthwhile race even if two or three big European teams don't choose to compete.

The names matter to recall the history ... but also as names, to identify the events. The events can change just as the tracks can change, without the event losing its cachet, or its vaue.

PLM might not be the same race it was in 1999, but using that to cut it into tiny peices or devalue it altogether .. Le Mans isn't the same race it was in 1923 or 1953 or 1973 ... anyone here think it should be cut to a four-hour sprint? or forced to change its name because the race and the course has changed?

"Petit Le Mans" hasn't been completely sold out ... it has changed and adapted but it is still pretty close to what it was at its inception---a true North American sports car endurance race. Whittling away at it because we don't still live in 1999 ... well, why not the 2.5 hours of Sebring?

Now ... Lone Star Le Mans .... you want a target, how can you overlook that one?
Old 25 Feb 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3617701)   #3034
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
More potential for Mercedes participation:

Quote:
Shegem said they plan to order an additional two Mercedes-AMG GT3s by the middle of this year for a planned expansion into the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship for either late this season or in 2017.
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...es-pwc-effort/
Old 25 Feb 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3617820)   #3035
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post

Who knows how many teams might want to enter with Mercedes but are just waiting for somebody to buy them a ticket before they walk in. (AKA the manufacturers entry fee)
Old 26 Feb 2016, 18:34 (Ref:3618044)   #3036
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Mercedes is moving its US headquarters to Atlanta and its big plant is over in Birmingham. I wonder if moving into the center of the southern racing scene has had any effect?
Old 26 Feb 2016, 19:32 (Ref:3618067)   #3037
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberMotor View Post
Mercedes is moving its US headquarters to Atlanta and its big plant is over in Birmingham. I wonder if moving into the center of the southern racing scene has had any effect?
I doubt very much that moving into the southern racing scene had much to do with the EFFECT . When you consider the TOTAL COST of relocation . Look at some other corporations that are moving southward . The overall cost of doing business is quite a bit less in the Southern States than up north .It is called " LETS MAKE A DEAL !! " Of course the lone exception to that is the " GE " corp deal moving from Conn to the M******* ot TAXACHUSSETTS STATE but that very much has a lot to do with political incantations !!! LOL
Old 27 Feb 2016, 00:19 (Ref:3618142)   #3038
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
I doubt very much that moving into the southern racing scene had much to do with the EFFECT . When you consider the TOTAL COST of relocation . Look at some other corporations that are moving southward . The overall cost of doing business is quite a bit less in the Southern States than up north .It is called " LETS MAKE A DEAL !! " Of course the lone exception to that is the " GE " corp deal moving from Conn to the M******* ot TAXACHUSSETTS STATE but that very much has a lot to do with political incantations !!! LOL
Not sure if that was an Agree, Don't Agree or Maybe!
Old 27 Feb 2016, 00:23 (Ref:3618143)   #3039
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
Quote:
My last post was my 1010 post on this forum.

How much more digital can you get than that?

Last edited by CyberMotor; 27 Feb 2016 at 00:44.
Old 27 Feb 2016, 02:13 (Ref:3618155)   #3040
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That was a definate DON't AGREE !!!
Old 29 Feb 2016, 19:12 (Ref:3618809)   #3041
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Having BMW and Porsche and Audi all involved in IMSA probably has more to do with that than any relocation, really. They are running a substantial effort in World Challenge, probably just looking for the right time to jump into IMSA and somebody to pony up IMSA's idiotic partner fees.
Old 29 Feb 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3618825)   #3042
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Mercedes coughing up the marketing fee themselves (or at least partially) seems like a possibility as well:

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ne...olex-24-debut/
Old 1 Mar 2016, 22:10 (Ref:3619126)   #3043
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Hardly a political arena, yet.... http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/126...ping-world-ceo

Nice Job France, supporting Bigotry and Vulgarity... just to start. Anyway.. no place in Autoracing for this. Camping World CEO already came out against this, hopefully they pull their sponsorship.
Old 1 Mar 2016, 22:16 (Ref:3619127)   #3044
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Hardly a political arena, yet.... http://www.racer.com/nascar/item/126...ping-world-ceo

Nice Job France, supporting Bigotry and Vulgarity... just to start. Anyway.. no place in Autoracing for this. Camping World CEO already came out against this, hopefully they pull their sponsorship.
Flag this administrator. No place for such a stupid comment like this on the forum
Old 1 Mar 2016, 23:07 (Ref:3619136)   #3045
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I agree. Political talk has it's own place. It can get ugly here on that topic. Particularly in this thread, that's the last thing we need.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 07:17 (Ref:3619188)   #3046
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't understand why there's a manufacturers fee for GT3 cars. I understand for Prototypes and GTLM because there's factory support and you need money to run the show but it shouldn't be this way for costumer based class.

Thought, there are some factories in GTD like Audi and the upcoming Lexus. They should be in GTE not GTD
Old 2 Mar 2016, 10:40 (Ref:3619230)   #3047
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at it a different (and not completely realistic) way, they're charging the manufacturers to be able to use their shop to sell their products. Call it commission, if you will (albeit commission that exceeds the value of the sales...)
Old 2 Mar 2016, 11:01 (Ref:3619235)   #3048
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Looking at it a different (and not completely realistic) way, they're charging the manufacturers to be able to use their shop to sell their products. Call it commission, if you will (albeit commission that exceeds the value of the sales...)
IMSA's bosses try to sell the idea as marketing money to help promote the series and their involvement. Most manufacturers don't buy it for a moment - they know it's a fee to be paid for the "privilege" of participating in IMSA, but for most of them the cars they sell to GT3 customers outweigh the expense.

And the series bosses REALLY don't like it when someone points out the BS in a way for which they don't have a ready-made response.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 14:42 (Ref:3619301)   #3049
Coach Ep
Veteran

The alternative would be increasing the entry fees substantially me thinks. That won't be popular either but at least gives all teams the opportunity to participate if they choose to.

If the numbers of GTD entrants becomes too high (more than 25 or so), let qualifying solve the issue. And start a separate GT(3) series.
Old 2 Mar 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3619357)   #3050
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The alternative would be increasing the entry fees substantially me thinks. That won't be popular either but at least gives all teams the opportunity to participate if they choose to.

If the numbers of GTD entrants becomes too high (more than 25 or so), let qualifying solve the issue. And start a separate GT(3) series.
They're never going to turn away a car on an entry list via qualifying. Those days are long gone.