Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 14 Aug 2013, 00:28 (Ref:3289480)   #3026
canciaro
Racer

Canada
Windsor
canciaro is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
We don't know yet. Like you said, with Fox Sports 1 now becoming an all-sport channel, the CRTC may reject it. (It would be great to continue to watch O'toole and Onrait though)
If you check the future advanced listings, Speed will become SPEED CANADA, any racing that would be shown by Fox 1/2 will be shown. When there isnt racing there will be reruns of PINKS, Pimp my Ride, etc. and replays of NASCAR races so far is what Ive seen.

Basically, just watch it on the weekeneds

Michigan Football & Basketball, Oregon Football, Detroit Tigers
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:38 (Ref:3289492)   #3027
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Yes, which would put it around $400k done.
I am working off of ~5 year old information, but DP engines were around $75k. Shouldn't GT motors be less expensive installed?

Chris
Old 14 Aug 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3289497)   #3028
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by canciaro View Post
If you check the future advanced listings, Speed will become SPEED CANADA, any racing that would be shown by Fox 1/2 will be shown. When there isnt racing there will be reruns of PINKS, Pimp my Ride, etc. and replays of NASCAR races so far is what Ive seen.

Basically, just watch it on the weekeneds
Thanks, good to know. A shame really, it's basically a dead channel now.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3289513)   #3029
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
I am working off of ~5 year old information, but DP engines were around $75k. Shouldn't GT motors be less expensive installed?

Chris
You would think, but you would also think the DP motor would cost less too. But I already forget why this is important!
Old 14 Aug 2013, 04:55 (Ref:3289532)   #3030
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I posted this at Motorsports Mayhem (the forum set up by those who separated from the Speed.com forum when it was announced that Speed would be re-branded as Fox Sports 1). It pretty well sums up my feelings on the situation:

"This (6 second gap in laptime between LMP2 and DP at RA) shows that right now that the DPs don't have the aero or mechanical grip or the brakes to keep up with a LMP2, even if the LMP2 is nearly 5-7mph down on speed at the end of the straights. DPs also weigh 200-300 lbs more than A LMP2.

We all know that the Audi R10s where as much faster than the LMP2s at RA down the straights, but they at least had the handling and the brakes to be not at such an insane disadvantage in braking and cornering.

6 seconds is a lot for a DP to make up, and I do hope that some of the proposed solutions that Starworks has touted will bridge that gap, but I'm not quite sure that it will, even if the LMP2s lose time by switching to the GA-spec Continental tires--which have proven to be faster than the Michelin club racing slicks that used to be on the LMPC cars when they switched, though the Contis do wear out much faster.

In the end, it might be cheaper to buy an LMP2 than to invest in new bodywork and aero parts for a DP. An ACO/FIA spec LMP2 that's done to the cost cap formula costs about $480K new, and I can't imagine a new DP being much cheaper. A GAGT car, complete with engine and drive line is over $400 grand. A DP has to be more expensive than that, and probably by a significant margin. Add in the upgrade kit which might run $150-250K, then you have a $600+thousand dollar car that's only as fast as an LMP2.

Granted, that's better than spending $2.5 million on a HPD LMP1 like MMPR does, or whatever the hell it would cost to run an Audi R18 e-tron quattro or a Toyota TS030 hybrid if those were available to private teams. But the cost capping has made LMP2, especially in Europe, look pretty appealing, and it should look appealing now, because either way, money's gonna have to be spent by quite a few guys if they want to be part of the top class, and some are even saying that LMP2 and DP should be kept separate until 2016, when new rules should be able to come in.

The technical regs being so slow with materializing is a big issue, and many people on both sides aren't very happy about it, nor are a lot of fans for that matter. And I doubt that a lot of of people are gonna exactly be really damned happy when said regs do come out. But I place a lot of the blame for this whole *******' mess on Jim France and Don Panoz. Not for the merger itself, but the timing of it. Why couldn't they keep the ALMS and GA separate until '16 when new rules are supposed to come into effect? Economics is a big reason due to TV coverage, sponsors, and logistics. But this timing has still opened up a can of worms that may turn out to be a pretty big Pandora's box if they screw it up."

And, sadly, there's plenty that people on both sides of the debate can do to mess this up, let alone series management. But Jim and Don are still pressing for the LM connection, which complicates things because of two series formed from different mindsets as far as sporting and technical regulations have to come together.

I understand that the ALMS and GA not making money and stagnating in the market place was the motivation for the merger, but as I said, the timing of this whole mess has opened up one huge can of worms, which, as also mentioned, may become a Pandora's box if those in charge screw things up.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 08:08 (Ref:3289570)   #3031
pablocomics
Racer

Spain
Madrid
pablocomics should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some decent carbon brakes, a common rear difussor for all the DP, plus the 6 gear paddle transmission and probably those cars will be on the edge if you slow down the LMP 1 or 2 seconds on long circuits. ..and maybe a standar traction control for the DP if there are too much diferences on the corners.

A little of XXI century technology isn't that expensive.

Last edited by pablocomics; 14 Aug 2013 at 08:13.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 09:39 (Ref:3289593)   #3032
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Something subtle caught my attention in this article on the ALMS website.

http://www.alms.com/articles/luhr-gr...s-road-america

"The Road America weekend featured the ALMS paired with the Rolex Series for the first time in preparation for the debut of United SportsCar Racing in 2014."

Tequila Patron is never mentioned, but Rolex is. The fact that this was published on the ALMS website is intriguing to me.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 11:40 (Ref:3289648)   #3033
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post

Chris
The $305k is less engine, fuel system or electronics. Yes, the engine would be less than $75k... but all three items together...
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3289669)   #3034
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Just want to be the first one to mention the entirely fabricated and factually unsupported rumor that Juan Pablo Montoya will be driving the Telmex-Ganassi HPD ARX 03b in USCR next year.
I like this made up rumour.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:41 (Ref:3289684)   #3035
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Shall we quote it in the Sportcars rumors thread without citing the source? Just say someone smart said it lol.

As terrible as the ALMS mgmt was, the whole streaming thing actually worked better for me. My household does not subscribe to any cable programming, as we find everything we need online somewhere. It is true that the ESPN3 idea could have used some tweaks from a technical aspect but I was always able to watch or rewatch races. I know I am in a massive minority when I say this but the new TV contract makes it that much harder for me to watch. I've been on the fence whether I will follow the new series or not, this makes that decision for me.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:07 (Ref:3289695)   #3036
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post

As terrible as the ALMS mgmt was, the whole streaming thing actually worked better for me. My household does not subscribe to any cable programming, as we find everything we need online somewhere. It is true that the ESPN3 idea could have used some tweaks from a technical aspect but I was always able to watch or rewatch races. I know I am in a massive minority when I say this but the new TV contract makes it that much harder for me to watch. I've been on the fence whether I will follow the new series or not, this makes that decision for me.
The livestreaming package was great for me as well. I was able to watch the races again, after only listening on radio lemans for a few years.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3289715)   #3037
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
The Livestreaming is very convenient for many, particularly for those whom it works. It isn't a particularly compelling story to potential sponsors, who are still focused on TV ratings.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 14:09 (Ref:3289721)   #3038
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
C7R has been on track, and I have pictures.....
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 14 Aug 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3289749)   #3039
Brownj
Racer

United States
Georgia, US
Brownj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Has anyone thought about the larger teams running both P2s and DPs? Ganassi would have the money to change at will would they not?
I could see them hedging their bets and running one of each. Especially with the rumor Maelochs has generated about Montoya for next year.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3289759)   #3040
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownj View Post
I could see them hedging their bets and running one of each. Especially with the rumor Maelochs has generated about Montoya for next year.
which one is that? Funny btw you should mention Montoya for if I recall correctly I may have heard someone write about them reading or something about Montoya allegedly saying that he'll be sitting in a championship winning car next year and clearly this should be a USCR P2 car given JP's past!
Old 14 Aug 2013, 17:27 (Ref:3289786)   #3041
FstrthnU
Veteran

United States
FstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFstrthnU should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://www.racer.com/thiim-to-replac...rticle/307311/

Interesting news here, Aston Martin Racing may leave their 5th GTE-Pro car in the USA after COTA to prepare for the 24 Hours of Daytona.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3289788)   #3042
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post

Interesting news here, Aston Martin Racing may leave their 5th GTE-Pro car in the USA after COTA to prepare for the 24 Hours of Daytona.
I wonder if that includes Petit? Getting shafted with a BoP adjustment right before the race at Sebring might have put a damper on that....
Old 14 Aug 2013, 17:31 (Ref:3289789)   #3043
David Land
Veteran

United States
Franklin, Indiana
David Land has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FstrthnU View Post

For the love of all things holy, send that car to Petit as well!
Old 14 Aug 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3289939)   #3044
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
C7R has been on track, and I have pictures.....
MUST SEE NOW!!

*EDIT*

DOH! Just saw the new thread. Disregard lol.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 02:59 (Ref:3289987)   #3045
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would anybody here love to see a GTLM win Daytona overall next year? I certainly would!
Old 15 Aug 2013, 03:49 (Ref:3289992)   #3046
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Would anybody here love to see a GTLM win Daytona overall next year? I certainly would!
How about a GTLM Porsche on Falken tires?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 05:40 (Ref:3290012)   #3047
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Well it wouldn't be the first, second, or third time a GT was won in the past 15 years, so why not?
Old 15 Aug 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3290022)   #3048
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering speeds aren't too far off where they were back in the GTS days with the GTE's I wouldn't be surprised if the Vettes or Vipers were near the front after 24 hours of racing at Daytona.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 11:41 (Ref:3290147)   #3049
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a GTLM car winning overall is possible because I feel that P2/PC will be scaled back more than DP being quicker. Also the driver quality on the GT cars is the best. Also they may have better fuel mileage and tire ware. I expect full course yellows will keep them close too.
Old 15 Aug 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3290163)   #3050
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even if P2s were scaled back all the way to DP speeds, GTE still isn't as fast. Attrition might get a couple cars close to the top, but unless the top four prototype teams wrecked each other, I don't see a GT winning any race next year, or even making an overall podium.
Closed Thread