Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 28 Sep 2017, 20:06 (Ref:3770356)   #3051
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By coincidence, the dates in 1967 fell on the same days as this year, so fifty years ago on Sunday 1 October 1967 I was at Snetterton for the BRSCC Formula Libre Car Races & now I've checked the programme I do actually recall it!

The meeting was memorable for the appearance of Japanese driver Tetsu Ikuzawa. After winning the Autosport Trophy Race in an MRS-entered F3 Brabham, he went on to perform a bit of giant-killing in the Marque Sports Car Race, terrorising established names like Warren Pearce (Jaguar E-Type) & Dickie Stoop (Porsche 911) in his tiny Honda S800.

The saloon car race was won by Terry Sanger's 4.7-litre Cortina from Albert Betts's road-going Jaguar Mk1, the same car that Justin Law/Anthony Reid drove at Goodwood this year.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 20:08 (Ref:3770358)   #3052
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Our first baby Leanne was taking up a lot of my time back then, and we had just bought a house, so not much else to report.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 20:59 (Ref:3770377)   #3053
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"tiny Honda S800" - i remember them, an ex schoolfriend with a lot more money than I had one, very nippy road car with an unusual roller bearing/split crankshaft which never really caught on in mainstream production. I never could get near him on the road despite manic efforts in Ford Pop! I remember shaving 40 thou off the head in an attempt to raise the compression which quite frankly had little or no effect as I recall.

Last edited by justracing; 28 Sep 2017 at 21:06.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 21:13 (Ref:3770387)   #3054
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
The saloon car race was won by Terry Sanger's 4.7-litre Cortina from Albert Betts's road-going Jaguar Mk1, the same car that Justin Law/Anthony Reid drove at Goodwood this year.
Out of interest, John, who else was in that race, and was it a particular championship?
Old 28 Sep 2017, 21:18 (Ref:3770392)   #3055
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
"tiny Honda S800" - i remember them, an ex schoolfriend with a lot more money than I had one, very nippy road car with an unusual roller bearing/split crankshaft which never really caught on in mainstream production. I never could get near him on the road despite manic efforts in Ford Pop! I remember shaving 40 thou off the head in an attempt to raise the compression which quite frankly had little or no effect as I recall.
The owner of our local laundry in Norfolk had one, which amused me as he was very tall, goodness knows how he got in it.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 21:28 (Ref:3770395)   #3056
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Out of interest, John, who else was in that race, and was it a particular championship?
I did look for your name Mike, but didn't spot you there! It was a Redex Gold Cross Championship round, actually two races split by classes, both with a big entry.

As I said, the 'big' race was won by Sanger from Betts, with John Ewer's Mustang third, Alan Peer's Anglia fourth.

Other entries included Roger Taylor (Anglia) Ken Costello & Terry Harmer (Mini Cooper's), Bernard Unett's Fraser Imp & even John Wales' NSU.

I didn't put the results in for Race B, but it was almost entirely Mini's. Names include David Cuff, Bernard Farthing, David Alexander & Costello again. There was also an A40 (R.Bunting) which, going by Goodwood last week, must have been a runaway winner...!!! Local man David Coleman was there too with his Anglia.

I also noticed that one Max Mosley came second in the Clubman's race.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3770403)   #3057
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, John, for looking. But it just dawned on me that from June '67 until the end of the year I was working for a foreign government agency, and was actually out of the country in October. Racing was put on hold for a lot of the year, unfortunately.

Out of further interest, was a Tim Goss entered in the Clubmans race? Our racing at the same meetings coincided an awful lot, and his girlfriend, who I knew before he met her (they married around the same time as I did, and she unfortunately passed away recently) always made sure that all the important bits and pieces on my car (boot, bonnet, seat belts, etc.) were properly secured and the paint work polished before I went out on track. A sort of talisman, and when she wasn't around, something invariably went wrong!

Last edited by Mike Harte; 28 Sep 2017 at 22:25.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 05:32 (Ref:3770452)   #3058
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thanks, John, for looking. But it just dawned on me that from June '67 until the end of the year I was working for a foreign government agency, and was actually out of the country in October. Racing was put on hold for a lot of the year, unfortunately.

Out of further interest, was a Tim Goss entered in the Clubmans race? Our racing at the same meetings coincided an awful lot, and his girlfriend, who I knew before he met her (they married around the same time as I did, and she unfortunately passed away recently) always made sure that all the important bits and pieces on my car (boot, bonnet, seat belts, etc.) were properly secured and the paint work polished before I went out on track. A sort of talisman, and when she wasn't around, something invariably went wrong!
Tim Goss - that's a familiar name, it's amazing how all the memories come back! He was on the entry list but I've got him marked as a non starter. The race was won by Howard Heerey in a Chevron, another familiar name.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:00 (Ref:3770465)   #3059
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I was at high school (but not on a Saturday) and remember getting up extra early so I could record the start of radio One on our reel to reel tape recorder from my transistor radio.
There's three things today's eleven year olds wouldn't understand...
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:05 (Ref:3770467)   #3060
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I was at high school (but not on a Saturday) and remember getting up extra early so I could record the start of radio One on our reel to reel tape recorder from my transistor radio.
There's three things today's eleven year olds wouldn't understand...
Have you still got the tapes? Or anything to play them on?

I've still got the Philips Portable Tape Recorder that was my prize for passing the 11+ but sadly it no longer works. Haven't got the heart to throw it out though.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:30 (Ref:3770471)   #3061
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50 years ago I was at a British forces boarding school at Hamm in Germany. During WW2 it was a Luftwaffe barracks and I have an aerial photo of a B17 dropping bombs on it - they missed...

I also went to school in Malta but in the early 1950s when my Dad was recalled into the RN during the Korean War.

I'm another reel-to-reel owner though mine is a Telefunken.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:57 (Ref:3770475)   #3062
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was living in Cornwall but can't remember much about what I was doing as I was too young. I vaguely remember the change as "something that happened" but it didn't impact on my life much. I was probably at school by then but it wasn't a major topic of conversation in a rural C of E Primary School. No sign of tape recorders or even radios much TBH.

Would it have been Pete Murray on Radio Two mid morning? Or was he later?

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:02 (Ref:3770476)   #3063
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I was 14, we were all very excited as we all thought we could play the music at a much bigger volume. I had an transistor radio which i would tune in with all the crackling could just about listen to radio Caroline and Luxembourg. Happy days.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:05 (Ref:3770478)   #3064
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I was 14, we were all very excited as we all thought we could play the music at a much bigger volume. I had an transistor radio which i would tune in with all the crackling could just about listen to radio Caroline and Luxembourg. Happy days.
Luxembourg seemed like an exotic far-away place in those days, but of course Radio Luxembourg became motor racing sponsors.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:25 (Ref:3770481)   #3065
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed. Didn't they sponsor Teddy Pillette's F5000 Lola?
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:35 (Ref:3770487)   #3066
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Luxembourg seemed like an exotic far-away place in those days, but of course Radio Luxembourg became motor racing sponsors.
As did Radio London, I seem to recall.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:42 (Ref:3770490)   #3067
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Indeed. Didn't they sponsor Teddy Pillette's F5000 Lola?
My programmes are a bit disorganised at the moment but I've got one to hand for a 'Radio Luxembourg Formula 5000 Trophy Meeting' at Silverstone in August 1973. Think I did that one on my way home from holiday in North Wales.

The ShellSPORT Luxembourg team drivers on that occasion were Gijs van Lennep & Clive Santo. The cars were actually entered as 'ShellSPORT Luxembourg T330 Smith Chevrolet' & ShellSPORT Luxembourg TS11 Smith Chevrolet'. Presumably a Lola & a Surtees in reality.

Without digging further, for some reason in my mind I link Tom Belso with Luxembourg sponsorship, but I could be wrong.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:47 (Ref:3770491)   #3068
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Have you still got the tapes? Or anything to play them on?

I've still got the Philips Portable Tape Recorder that was my prize for passing the 11+ but sadly it no longer works. Haven't got the heart to throw it out though.
Unfortunately, although we found the tapes and recorder in the loft when clearing Mum's house out a few years ago, the recorder no longer worked so we threw it, and the tapes away. Sad really, I'd recorded a lot of the early Radio One stuff, in particular the Sunday morning Kenny Everett Show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Blue View Post
50 years ago I was at a British forces boarding school at Hamm in Germany. During WW2 it was a Luftwaffe barracks and I have an aerial photo of a B17 dropping bombs on it - they missed...

I also went to school in Malta but in the early 1950s when my Dad was recalled into the RN during the Korean War.

I'm another reel-to-reel owner though mine is a Telefunken.
Our tape recorder was a Telefunken too, quite rare/posh in those days I used to think!
Old 29 Sep 2017, 08:49 (Ref:3770493)   #3069
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
My programmes are a bit disorganised at the moment but I've got one to hand for a 'Radio Luxembourg Formula 5000 Trophy Meeting' at Silverstone in August 1973. Think I did that one on my way home from holiday in North Wales.

The ShellSPORT Luxembourg team drivers on that occasion were Gijs van Lennep & Clive Santo. The cars were actually entered as 'ShellSPORT Luxembourg T330 Smith Chevrolet' & ShellSPORT Luxembourg TS11 Smith Chevrolet'. Presumably a Lola & a Surtees in reality.

Without digging further, for some reason in my mind I link Tom Belso with Luxembourg sponsorship, but I could be wrong.
I've just spotted, right at the bottom of the programme there was actually a third ShellSPORT Luxembourg entry with race number 208 - and it was Tom Belso in a ShellSPORT Luxembourg T330 Smith Chevrolet.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:05 (Ref:3770497)   #3070
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
I've just spotted, right at the bottom of the programme there was actually a third ShellSPORT Luxembourg entry with race number 208 - and it was Tom Belso in a ShellSPORT Luxembourg T330 Smith Chevrolet.
Didn't Radio Luxembourg also sponsor a Production Saloon Opel Monza at one stage? I seem to remember one running with the race number 208. (Or am I getting mixed up with a Noel Edmonds Radio One car numbered 247?)
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3770498)   #3071
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Didn't Radio Luxembourg also sponsor a Production Saloon Opel Monza at one stage? I seem to remember one running with the race number 208. (Or am I getting mixed up with a Noel Edmonds Radio One car numbered 247?)
I'd thought of that too, but then remembered they also sponsored a BMW 3.0 driven by Don MacLeod in Production Saloons.

Don is better known as a Formula Ford driver - he was Van Diemen's first-ever works driver, winning the Formula Ford Festival at Snetterton in 1973 after Derek Lawrence was slung-out for running his illegal engine (not for the first time). However, Don had a day job as a salesman for BMW, hence the Prod Saloons exploits. As well as Shell colours the BMW also ran in a muddy brown livery, sponsored by a perfume company, possibly Aramis.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 09:22 (Ref:3770500)   #3072
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Radio Luxembourg also sponsored some cars driven by Chris Meeke, I seem to remember a Lotus Europa for one.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3770509)   #3073
MartinH
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg
MartinH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
We ain't all exotic 'ere you know ! & although it isn't really far away, I still needed to look on a map to see where it is, as I prepared for my job interview that eventually brought me here, 30 years ago.

Concerning the famous 208 radio Luxembourg, when it ceased trading, some of the the famous DJ's stayed on & worked for a new, legal english speaking station here, the most notable being Stuart Henry, who sadly suffered from MS & eventually passed away in the 2000s I think ; he is buried in a cemetery not far from me.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3770512)   #3074
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinH View Post
We ain't all exotic 'ere you know ! & although it isn't really far away, I still needed to look on a map to see where it is, as I prepared for my job interview that eventually brought me here, 30 years ago.

Concerning the famous 208 radio Luxembourg, when it ceased trading, some of the the famous DJ's stayed on & worked for a new, legal english speaking station here, the most notable being Stuart Henry, who sadly suffered from MS & eventually passed away in the 2000s I think ; he is buried in a cemetery not far from me.
I assume you are not buried in the cemetery!

I did once spend a night in Luxembourg many years ago.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:48 (Ref:3770521)   #3075
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid